PDA

View Full Version : Artist of the Month, May 2010: Random Goods

ad8
05-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Intro

Well I gotta say thanks to whoever voted for me... I really wasn't expecting this ahaha. Anyways, I'm Kevin and Random Goods is a project that got started pretty much by accident. I'd had a band before it, but it was apparent that it was never going to go anywhere, due to the fact that half our band didn't know how to play their instruments after 2 years. So when the BBS Mixtape II came along, I stole their name and made a song, known as Save The Day, and it's pretty much taken off from there.

Musical style

Hmm, I don't know exactly what style I'd be. I generally tag my songs as Alternative Rock once they're done, but people said I had a kind of indie vibe after the last mixtape? Yeah, let's go with that! My music is generally just calm songs, with as complicated a bass line as I can manage to play (which isn't very complicated), and a calm clean guitar to accompany it. Although, you guys have probably only heard that in Standing Calm, as nothing I do ever seems to get done. I do like to dabble into punk a bit sometimes, but I'm pretty much incapable of writing a punk song so I just take elements of them and incorporate it into my songs. I just really prefer to play a clean guitar.

Musical background/influence/whatever

Well, I'd say Offspring was my biggest influence, but not in how I play, but more, why I began playing. Relatively easy but cool sounding songs - what more could a beginner guitarist ask for? So I exercised my playing techniques to them for a bit. Then, I became a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have to say, that whatever the Chili Peppers have done with John Frusciante, has probably had the biggest influence on my actual style of playing. Recently (aka 2 days ago), John's entire solo collection has come into the picture, and a song I started today I can definitely see elements of his solo stuff in, even though I wasn't setting out to write anything like it. I have to say that my songs are most influenced by them, but I do try to keep my own style and never try to emulate them.

Downloads

Well this is the most up to date, and includes the most stuff (All finished songs, and all demos, and some other stuff I think up until around April 4th, so there's stuff I've done since then.) http://rapidshare.com/files/372042670/Random_s_Goodies.rar.html And this one is only my finished songs. http://rapidshare.com/files/380643697/RG.zip.html

ad8
05-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Congratulations!
This is really really well deserved since Ryder was definitely the most productive member of last month.
I don't know which of your songs I enjoy best, but I think Driftin', Castaways and Standing Calm are very good songs. Also, I really enjoyed your Kick Him When He's Down cover.
Once again, well deserved!

Ryder1234
05-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Does this mean I have to be on the podcast now? Uhhhhhhhhhh Oh. lol

Gustavo
05-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Does this mean I have to be on the podcast now? Uhhhhhhhhhh Oh. lol

In my opinion, yes, it does.
Too bad I won't be able to ask you my now cliché question "What's it like to not be a Canadian?". :(

Congrats, btw!

Ryder1234
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Hahaha I'll probably just be sitting there not talking and only answering questions ahaha :P Either that, or someone will say something and I'll rant on for way too long and piss everyone off but then Carson will save the day by cutting to either one of my songs or an offspring song/live song etc. depending on where we're at in the podcast.

Thanks man :)

Gustavo
05-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm looking forward to it, man.

Btw, why hasn't anyone else commented on this thread? Come on, let's show the kid some love. :) He deserves it.

ad8
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm looking forward to it, man.

Btw, why hasn't anyone else commented on this thread? Come on, let's show the kid some love. :) He deserves it.

Seconded. I don't exactly understand this lack of interest, either.

Also, we could use some more votes on the poll.

Static_Martyr
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I downloaded the complete comp Ryder put up awhile back, but I've only had time to listen to it once or twice, and I don't remember it very well (both times were rather hectic and far apart). I've been meaning to post here for awhile, but I wanted to wait until I've had a chance to really familiarize myself with the material (which, sadly, has not happened yet :().

For what it's worth, I liked the Mixtape song you did, Ryder :D

Ryder1234
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks Tim :D Although I do wish now I had figured out how to shorten it a bit.

Homer
05-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Well deserved, IN MY OPINION.

Speaking of stuff, hopefully I can get that You cover/collaboration done before the month is over.

ad8
05-26-2010, 04:48 AM
A subtle hint:

I DON'T WANT NO DRAW ON THE POLL AGAIN!!!

;)

ad8
05-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow, we have another tie at 2 votes each!
Someone please decide this;)

Homer
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
We could just like, have a Battle of the Bands.

The only thing is that I call it being in Winnipeg, so everyone get your plane tickets ready.

ad8
06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
We could just like, have a Battle of the Bands.

The only thing is that I call it being in Winnipeg, so everyone get your plane tickets ready.
I'm down for that!

But seriously, who is supposed to be the AotM now?

Blitz!
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Sorry for being so late but you have my vote now. Carson, if you win this one, which I am more or less sure you will ... I want some new shit !!! :D

Lost in Verona, I haven't heard any of your stuff yet, so I think I'll make a plan.

Static_Martyr
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I voted for Lost In Verona during the first three-way tie because I was hoping someone who hasn't already won before would win this month....also, I don't know much about Lost In Verona and AOM is usually a good excuse to encourage people to come up with or post new content.

Ah, well :cool: The votes speak for themselves.

Homer
06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I want some new shit !!! :D

F-Fuck...

Well, then. To the recording studio!