PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bieber

Harleyquiiinn
05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
So... recently I heard Lady Gaga for the first time (and no, I don't live in a cavern, I just don't listen to the radio or watch TV...) and I thought it was quite good. I liked it.

So I thought "Ok, now, let's try Justin Bieber because everybody is talking about it"

And, I am usually a snob when it comes to music but I promise I'm not doing my snob here. I don't GET IT.

Even the Jonas Brothers I kind of understood. Even Tokio Hotel. But this ??? I don't.

What is special about that kid ? (except that he looks 12, not 16...) His voice is not special. He sings fine but nothing crazy and the songs are definitely not originals. So yeah, I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure most of you will say it sucks too, but if someone could try to explain the phenomenom, I'd be grateful.

holland25
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Probably the phenomenon of horny 12 yo girls is the reason why he is so succesful. He's sweet and he looks gay. And he's a pussy. That's what the 12 yo love.

randman21
05-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I think Holland pretty much hit it on the head there. There's no real rationale behind his success. I think he just makes the kind of music that's in nowadays. Unfortunately. Apparently, some important person in the music business found him on YouTube, and hooked him up with an even more important person. Then he was signed to big record label and came out with a huge album, probably all within the span of a year or two.

At least the Jonas Brothers have some talent (I'm guessing) and play and write their own music. This kid just isn't doing anything special at all. And he's the second person I've heard from Canada who sings like a gangsta. Shit's annoying.

Llamas
05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
eh, he's actually talented... I think part of the appeal is that he's sort of "homegrown"... not manufactured by Disney and the like. I mean, I'm not a fan, but the kid can sing. I guess this is the video that got discovered by some producer on youtube that got him signed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csymVmm1xTw

edit: and he's been singing and playing instruments since he was quite young... and he's self-taught. That's pretty cool in my book, even if I don't like his music.

Harleyquiiinn
05-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I've watched the vid, but the kid who covers Lady Gaga seems more impressive to me...

I don't deny that Justin Bieber has definitely a singing talent. But to make him a superstar that everybody is talking about is just crazy....

disclaimer_07
05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
The only thing I know about him is his name. But I just watched his video on YouTube that has like 148 mln views and his name is still the only thing I know about him.

dff_punk
05-20-2010, 02:40 PM
The only thing I know about him is his name.

Bah, beat me to it. I see his name everywhere, but(fortunately) I have not heard a single song from him. Maybe it is for the best.

WebDudette
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
When is the last time you saw a superstar who didn't have a more talented, less famous counterpart?

In most cases, there is not a direct correlation between ones skill and ones fame, or anything even close to a direct correlation.

Rooster
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Bah, beat me to it. I see his name everywhere, but(fortunately) I have not heard a single song from him. Maybe it is for the best.

Whenever the video of a song of his comes up i change the channel, the second i realise whose video it is. So i can say i haven't heard a single song from him either. I'll try to keep it that way.

nameless
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
i think its all to do with his age and apperance, the management behind him no bought recognised who they would market the music to and thought they could make a quick profit on it. i doubt someone in their twenties trying to hit the big time would have had the same success with the music he releases, ut being the age he is, it passes with people!