PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my rap music please

Apathy
05-31-2010, 02:49 PM
So the official rap thread has vanished from the face of the earth, I'm assuming because ttig also has. But anyway, that means I'm making this instead of posting there.

I need some rap music. I have Kanye, and pretty much nothing else. I'm interested in the 90's stuff that I missed out on because I was being a close minded whore. Tupac, Biggie, etc.

So what do I start with? Anyone have suggestions or a list of their favorites?
Please no DMX or Eminem, I already know their sound and that's not what I'm looking for. Same with Aesop Rock/Sage Francis/Atmosphere type stuff.

WebDudette
05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Jay-Z's, the Black Album.

Retard
05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Wu-Tang Clan Aint Nuttin ta fuck wit.... that's all i gotta say about that.

but uuhh if for some odd reason you dont like Wu-tang, try the Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, Dizzee Rascal, MF Doom, De La Soul, Murs and 9th Wonder, P.O.S., Pharcyde.

I've been getting into a lot of Instrumental hip-hop lately, like J dilla, Madlib, and DJ Shadow.

Lord Phidias
05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
So you wanna be a RAP superstar, and live large, a big house, five cars, you're in charge...

You need Cypress Hill, man... puro Cypress locote... INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE!:cool:

Apathy
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Beastie Boys don't count because I've already heard everything they've done, and I don't like Cypress Hill. Everything else is en route to be downloaded pending I can find it easily!

ad8
06-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Unholy Priests of Garbage, homes!!1

Apart from that, Public Enemy?

Harleyquiiinn
06-01-2010, 07:10 AM
I like that song very much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDCt0XV-aM

That_Guy91
06-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I'd definitely recommend the Wu-Tang Clan's first album, and any of their solo albums immediately following it. My favorite right now is Liquid Swords by GZA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GDPZpRmTg0

Lord Phidias
06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Here is something you can't understaaaaand (how I could just kill a man?)

If you don't like Cypress Hill you have nothing to do listening to rap music...
I think you don't like them because B-Real is latin and Sen Dog is Cuban... intolerant foo...

...but you don't know about the blood, sweat and tears, and losing some of your fears, and losing some of yourself to the years past...

Jojan
06-01-2010, 01:21 PM
N.W.A. and Vanilla Ice.

holland25
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7222/129193552170296273.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/i/129193552170296273.jpg/)

dff_punk
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
My friend who is really into this kinda shit likes Mobb Deep, not that known but has kind of a cult status. Or something.

coke_a_holic
06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Cypress Hill is meh.

I'm in agreement with the Wu-Tang suggestion: Ghostface Killah, GZA, Raekwon, and Method Man have all got killer solo stuff, but Enter The Wu-Tang will always be my favorite from them.

Nas' first album, Illmatic is truly necessary. Get it quickly!

A Tribe Called Quest are great, the albums Midnight Marauders and The Low End Theory are my favorites by them.

Also, I haven't listened to it enough to know, but you'd probably enjoy Blackalicious' album, Nia, even if their name is a LITTLE bit ridiculous. The guy has got chops.

EDIT: Oh, of course, Dr. Dre's The Chronic! Get that!

That_Guy91
06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I completely agree about Illmatic. Also, I just downloaded the one album Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kweli) did, and so far it's great.

Apathy
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Here is something you can't understaaaaand (how I could just kill a man?)

If you don't like Cypress Hill you have nothing to do listening to rap music...
I think you don't like them because B-Real is latin and Sen Dog is Cuban... intolerant foo...

...but you don't know about the blood, sweat and tears, and losing some of your fears, and losing some of yourself to the years past...

It has more to do with the fact that they are essentially a 90's one hit wonder. I like one-hit wonders. But the funny thing about them is that they always only have one song worth listening to. So...yeah.

Wu-tang I had already heard a lot of, but I never really gave them a chance in the past and I am now. So far I'm liking them. My one concern is GZA. My experience with the RZA and Stza (of Leftover Crack) tells me that this is pronounced as Jizzah. Which creeps me out.

CokeMike, I'm looking into your suggestions now!

That_Guy91
06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Wu-tang I had already heard a lot of, but I never really gave them a chance in the past and I am now. So far I'm liking them. My one concern is GZA. My experience with the RZA and Stza (of Leftover Crack) tells me that this is pronounced as Jizzah. Which creeps me out.

Before the Wu-Tang, his name was The Genius. You can use that name if you're more comfortable with it, lol.

Also, Stankonia by Outkast is mostly incredible.

WebDudette
06-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Drew this while listening to Kanye last night, because I am awesome:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/IMG_9324-1.jpg

Retard
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Kanye is a great MC.... wish I didn't have to feel bad about saying that sometimes.

I have Method Man and Redman's first Blackout! album and its pretty dope, I need to grab the second one.

Both of ODB's solo albums are amazing.... they're on the strange side(Ol Dirty Bastard was a strange but amazing man). Out of all the solo Wu-tang shit I've heard, his two albums are probably my favorite so far.

I need to get into Tribe more because Get it Together by the beasties with Q-tip on it is probably one of my favorite songs on Ill Comm.

Lord Phidias
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
It has more to do with the fact that they are essentially a 90's one hit wonder. I like one-hit wonders. But the funny thing about them is that they always only have one song worth listening to. So...yeah.
CokeMike, I'm looking into your suggestions now!

Well, at least ypu'll give them a shot, but omg, they ain't no One-hit-wonder band, c'mon, they have a lot of hits!

WebDudette
06-04-2010, 12:25 PM
So does N'Sync.

Retard
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Rock Superstar is a pretty badass song... well so is rap superstar. They have a song with Tim Armstrong to. its got a guns of brixton sample if i remember correctly..... good song.

Offspring-Junkie
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
MC Hammer! Why does no one mention Run DMC?

Retard
06-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Cuz everyone knows Run DMC.... if you dont... well then you're just an idiot

Music4life
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Jay-Z is pretty good, specialy the old shit.
Wax is an talented unknown rapper, you should check him out on youtube.

Retard
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Big Pimpin spending Cheese!

I love the BLack album, it's not as great as black or any of the other stuff he's done but I still dont get the hate for Kingdom Come. It's got some pretty good songs.... i love beach chair, the drums, the synth, the chorus sung by chris Martin of coldplay.... shit i gotta listen to that again.

WebDudette
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Jay-Z has 11 studio albums, of those, 9 of them are number 1 albums. He has two other collaboration albums that have also reached number 1. As a solo artist, he has the most number one albums, of all time. In fact, he is second in number one albums of all time behind none other than the Beatles.

I'll be the first to say that popularity is not necessarily related to quality, but even still, that shit is impressive.

JohnnyNemesis
06-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Jay-Z is pretty good, specialy the old shit.

Which old shit? He's been rapping so long that it's hard to tell? Reasonable Doubt is fucking garbage, but a lot of his stuff is pure legend.

Llamas
06-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I love the BLack album, it's not as great as black or any of the other stuff he's done but I still dont get the hate for Kingdom Come. It's got some pretty good songs.... i love beach chair, the drums, the synth, the chorus sung by chris Martin of coldplay.... shit i gotta listen to that again.

Man, I totally agree. I mean, Kingdom Come is far from his best work, but I seriously don't get people calling it trash... saying it's his worst album. I don't mind it. I mean, it's nothing special... but he made a good point once - he said, he can drop a single like "big pimpin" and people eat it up. But he tries to do something a little deeper and talk about real shit, and everyone bashes it. I mean, some of the shit on there is truly laughable ("30 is the new 20"? lmao), but still.

Reasonable Doubt is fucking garbage

<33333 troof.

I consider everything from Reasonable Doubt to The Dynasty to be his "early stuff", and everything from The Blueprint to The Blueprint 3 to be his "newer stuff". Overall, I think the dude has seriously improved. His best albums are all what I consider newer (even if the Blueprint 2 was in there :( :( :( )

I suggest checking out The Black Album above all. Then get The Blueprint... then go from there if you're digging it. But avoid Blueprint 2. It's pretty bad.

nieh
06-08-2010, 07:23 AM
P.O.S.
P.O.S. is awesome, but he's not exactly old school, nor does he sound old school.

It has more to do with the fact that they are essentially a 90's one hit wonder. I like one-hit wonders. But the funny thing about them is that they always only have one song worth listening to.
I can't comment on Cypress Hill specifically because I've only heard their singles, but this, in a general sense, is such a crap statement. There are tons of bands that have only had one big hit but continuously make awesome music despite that.

Also, Stankonia by Outkast is mostly incredible.

See, the thing about Stankonia is that there's a lot of weak tracks in the mix. Aquemini is probably their most solid as a full album, but Stankonia has more AMAZING songs. If they trimmed it to, say, 45 minutes, it'd be one of the best albums ever.

That_Guy91
06-08-2010, 11:13 PM
See, the thing about Stankonia is that there's a lot of weak tracks in the mix. Aquemini is probably their most solid as a full album, but Stankonia has more AMAZING songs. If they trimmed it to, say, 45 minutes, it'd be one of the best albums ever.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I pretty much never listen to anything past Red Velvet (although I love Andre's verse on Gangsta Shit).

Retard
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
DId I say P.O.S. was old school? I dont remember......

mizbanger98
06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
surprised no one mentioned Pete Rock & CL Smooth or Eric B. & Rakim

Autonomist
07-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Cypress Hill are average and I call bullshit on anyone telling me otherwise. I listen to hip hop when I listen to music more often than not, but never to them bar two or three of their better songs.

Illmatic - yes, The Chronic - yes, whatever Wu-Tang was suggested (probably) - yes. Not much of a Jay-Z fan but The Black Album is pretty essential, outside of that and The Blueprint I've found he has more quality songs than albums. The following is my own short recommendation list, although you'll probably have heard one or two of these already cause they're all pretty necessary listening for anyone who loves hip hop.

Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
Common - Resurrection
Mobb Deep - The Infamous...
Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer
Royce Da 5'9" - Death Is Certain
OutKast - Aquemini (way better than Stankonia)
Black Milk - Tronic

And some of the lesser known cards I keep close to my chest:

CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
PackFM - I F*cking Hate Rappers (album of 2010, so far)
Torae & Marco Polo - Double Barrel
INI - Center of Attention

+ Avoid Atmosphere like the plague.

Sofinch
07-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Snow - Informer

a classic,

hope this hasn't been posted before
otherwise, sorry for the repost

Retard
08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Straight Outta Compton is actually a pretty solid record. Copped it coupla weeks ago.