PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden; The Final Frontier release date, artwork, and free download

Smash_Returns
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.ironmaiden.com/

It's set to release on August 16th, with some new artwork of Eddie, looking very different from all previous depictions. Also, they've released the song "El Dorado as a free MP3 download.

Thoughts? Opinions on the newest song? Personally, I thought it was quite good.

(I hope Alex101 hasn't ninja'd this thread)

Rooster
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
It was a very nice surprise. I thought the new album would sound the same as the past 3. But the production was apparently a bit different, more raw and possibly more powerfull. And the song doesn't seem a typical Maiden song, it sounds fresh and different for them. And i like this. If this song is any indication, then the new album will be awsomesauce.

Also, it seems like they took this resistance to the "loudness war" very seriously. There are just a few peaks that top at the highest possible level, there is a good ammount of headroom left, so i guess there was very little dynamic compression used, if any. Another BIG plus point :)

edit: hmm, maybe the official version is going to be more compressed, since i have 2 versions (one of them is a bit more compressed), but the more dynamic one has bad sound quality. We'll have to wait.

Alex101
06-08-2010, 06:37 PM
(I hope Alex101 hasn't ninja'd this thread)
What thread? This thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1394754)?

Smash_Returns
06-09-2010, 03:44 AM
No, you just always seem to post music news before I get a chance to, and I wouldn't have been surprised if it happened again :p

Retard
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
last one was kinda shit.... lets hope this one is better

DMelges
06-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I didn't like the vocals on El Dorado. Think it's weak. Bruce can do better.

Retard
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
yeah not feelin that at all

Ninty Man
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
yeah not feelin that at all

Don't mess with Dickinson

I liked the song a lot

mrconeman
06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
The singles alright, a little heavier than the usual melodic and fast paced thing they do. But the single has consistently been the worst song on most of their albums...always. So don't take it as a reflection of the album.

Retard
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I can mess with Dickinson all i want.... the dude's a dick.

mrconeman
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Bruce is notably one of the nicest men in rock and roll. Either you're genuinely retarded like your name says, or you aren't a Maiden fan.

And if you aren't a Maiden fan you're retarded for coming into the Maiden thread. So either way, yeah, you're pretty retarded.

Llamas
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
last one was kinda shit.... lets hope this one is better

....what? A Matter of Life and Death wasn't that good? Do you have ears? Shit, man.

And where are you getting this from? I mean, I know Coneman already disagreed with this, but... wtf? When exactly has Bruce proven to be a dick?

Anyway, the new song is cool... not one of their best, but I dig it. However, I dig most IM songs :D I look forward to the new album, fo sho.

Little_Miss_1565
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
"El Dorado" fine and all, but I just saw the setlist for the tour and I kind of want to sell my ticket now. Eff. Most everything is from the last 4 albums. When people go see Maiden live, they're not going for the new stuff.

Rooster
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with absolutely everything Llamas said in her post.

Smash_Returns
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
"El Dorado" fine and all, but I just saw the setlist for the tour and I kind of want to sell my ticket now. Eff. Most everything is from the last 4 albums. When people go see Maiden live, they're not going for the new stuff.

I'd pay to see Maiden play their new stuff. Brave New World was one of their top 3 albums, IMO. Also, AMOLAD was quite good too, and DoD was also a very solid album. As long as they still play stuff like Iron Maiden, Fear Of The Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, etc... I'm happy (and they have been, they even threw in Running Free, a Di'Anno era song). Sure, it's rather heavy on the new stuff, but the thing is, they have such a large song catalogue now, it's impossible for them to play everything fans want to hear. They've probably gotten sick of playing a lot of older stuff, ad unlike most bands, they have a constantly changing fan base. A lot of older bands only have old, dedicated fan base, whereas Maiden has both that old dedicated fan base, and a younger fan base that's growing and discovering Maiden everyday. A lot of younger fans probably know the new albums more than the old stuff.

They're a constantly evolving band, that doesn't treat it's new stuff like it isn't up to snuff with their old stuff (because it is just as good as the old stuff). The aren't some nostalgia band, like KISS or AC/DC. If you wanted to hear the old stuff, you should've seen them last year, on the "Somwhere Back In Time" tour, which only played their old '80s stuff.

Simply put, they've been around too long to possibly please everybody completely. Even if they only played songs that I would consider "concert staples," they'd have an EXTREMELY long setlist.

Llamas
06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
What Smash_Returns said. Also:

No offense, but you're kind of sounding like the kids in GOD who bitch about the Offspring's set lists... and I disagree. There are some absolutely stunning songs on the last four albums... songs like Paschendale, Wicker Man, Brave New World, Futureal, The Clansman, These Colors Don't Run... I dunno, I really love all their work, and if I was in a band I'd rather play songs less than 15 years old. I just kind of hate it when people bitch about set lists... :-/

mrconeman
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM

I completely understand where you're coming from, but when I seen Maiden live they played the entirety of AMOLAD, and only closed the set with 4 classics, and it was amazing.
I definitely would like to see them again to hear a few other favourites, but I in no way regret having seen all new songs, and if I bought a ticket to see them again, and they were doing the same thing, would never even think of selling it.

Retard
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I've seen interviews with Bruce and he's bad mouthed alot of people. complaining about how theres never enough young people at shows calling the fans that do come a bunch of fat old men. The whole thing at fucking OZZFEST a couple years ago... he said a bunch of shit about ozzy and some of the other bands on stage, off stage in interviews. so fuck him.
I fucking love maiden i've only heard the newest one maybe once but it didnt catch my attention much and everytime i talk about it with friends(who are in retrospect alot bigger fans than me) have all said they thought it was crap. Number of the Beast is a great album, so is power slave. I liked Brave New World(my friends covered wickerman at a battle of the bands at school). so sooorrryy that i wasn't impressed with a song. I've liked older stuff and I'll still listen to the new one when it comes out cuz who fucking knows i might dig the rest of it(that song included after listening to it more than once). You dont gotta go fucking insult someone for giving an opinion on something... cuz if you did that i could go on for hours about shit that people praise in here... but I'm a bigger person than that sooo yea.

Rooster
06-11-2010, 03:05 AM
I've seen interviews with Bruce and he's bad mouthed alot of people. complaining about how theres never enough young people at shows calling the fans that do come a bunch of fat old men. The whole thing at fucking OZZFEST a couple years ago... he said a bunch of shit about ozzy and some of the other bands on stage, off stage in interviews. so fuck him.
I fucking love maiden i've only heard the newest one maybe once but it didnt catch my attention much and everytime i talk about it with friends(who are in retrospect alot bigger fans than me) have all said they thought it was crap. Number of the Beast is a great album, so is power slave. I liked Brave New World(my friends covered wickerman at a battle of the bands at school). so sooorrryy that i wasn't impressed with a song. I've liked older stuff and I'll still listen to the new one when it comes out cuz who fucking knows i might dig the rest of it(that song included after listening to it more than once). You dont gotta go fucking insult someone for giving an opinion on something... cuz if you did that i could go on for hours about shit that people praise in here... but I'm a bigger person than that sooo yea.

And you've come out such a great person by insulting people you don't even personally know, didn't you? That's right, fuck Bruce Dickinson. Hasn't it occured to you that that's the reason why others began acting "hostile" towards you?

mrconeman
06-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Well at least this just proves that you are in fact, retarded. I'd love to see those non-existant interviews, I really would. The only thing Bruce has ever said about his audience, is the American audience that only turn out to hear classics, and shout Run to the Hills at him when they're playing new songs, which I can only agree with, they're idiots. And he always mentions that it's not everyone in America, it's just predominant there, and crowds are happy most other places they play.

Also about young/old fans...you have got to be shitting me? The whole reason they play alot of new stuff, is that in interviews they stress the fact ALL THE TIME, that their audience is full of a huge age range, from actual children, to old men. In fact I'll cite the newest interviews they done, in the Flight 666 DVD theres a section where Bruce and Aidrian talk about the age span of their audience, and how they're greatful/suprised at that. You're making things up to defend a stupid critisism you made. Just let it go. You look pretty dumb...

And don't even start with that Ozzfest crap, Sharon Osbourne was the only dick in that situation. All Bruce said was that Maiden were still around playing shows without the use of a reality TV show, was is a perfectly justifiable critisism, considering the near talentless hack that is Ozzy Osbourne, and that his career was completely dead until the Osbournes show came out. Ozzy is a dick, not Bruce. And don't get me wrong, I fucking love Black Sabbath, and a select few of the Ozzy solo albums. But Ozzy didn't write any of those songs, it was all his bands at each different era.

And if you wanna talk about dicky things to do, speak to Bob Daisley about Ozzy, the man who wrote all the lyrics on his first albums, played bass, and toured. Then was fired and not paid a penny for his troubles, then those albums were remastered in 2001 with a new bass and new drum track, so that Lee Kerslake (the drummer) and Daisley didnt have to have a single credit or make any royalties from sales. That's a dick move, from Ozzy/Sharon.

I'd be careful who you're trying to defend here, Ozzy is a burn out who can't write songs or sing at all any more, and is nothing more than a puppet being controlled by his maniacal wife. Bruce Dickinson is a ridiculous singer, says what he means, and is pretty much known throughout to be a pretty stand up guy.

But fuck it, to close on a friendly note, dude, one listen is *not* enough to justify an opinion on A Matter of Life and Death, that's ten songs where all but two of them total like at least 7 to 9 minutes. Great album, give it another listen or two.

Little_Miss_1565
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
LOLOLOLOL. Seriously LOL. I love basically being called a whining poser by someone who loves metal less than I do. Thanks, Llamas.

Anyway. To continue the ridiculous metaphor, this setlist is like the Offspring ignoring the fact that "Come Out And Play" was a massive, massive hit that most everyone who comes to see them wants to see. Basically, it's a dick move. The argument that they play newer stuff to appeal to younger, newer fans is also a troubled one, because the young fans that are introduced to them are introduce through things like "Run to the Hills" and even "The Trooper," even though the latter is so played out I don't care about never hearing it again. How about their tickets being about $90 each being what's keeping young fans out of shows?

Also, Retard, who cares whether or not Bruce is a dick? I have zero experience in the subject so I can't weigh in, except for the fact that I could not possibly care less and don't understand how anyone else does.

mrconeman
06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Hai guys lets not fight about how metal we are.
We all know Sinister would win. And anything he can win is not something any of us would want to win I'm sure.

Retard
06-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok you got me, sooorrryy i had only heard about the whole american fan thing from my uncle who is a huuge maden fan(and he was pretty pissed that bruce said that about fans its kinda like sayin fuck off old people) and the whole ozzfest thing was kinda just bad manners. ITS FUCKING OZZYS TOUR! YOU DONT INSULT THE MAN WHO BROUGHT YOU ALONG! Totally deserved the eggs thrown at them. but yea this whole thing started cuz i said i wasn't impressed with the new song, and someone said something kinda like what are u an idiot? so i was jus kinda pissed that someone would be pissed that i didnt like a song by a band. again I love alot of shit by maiden i just wasn't impressed.

and if bands dont wanna play "the hits" at a show they shouldn't have to... If youre a big enough fan you should know everything. I usually love it when bands dont play the big hits... cuz i always see the bros and the dooshbags all pissed off and confused. its pretty funny.

Rooster
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Don't mess with Dickinson

Who threw out the first insult? Don't mess with Dickinson is hardly an insult, people started giving you shit because you called Mr. Dickinson a dick.

You like being in arguments, don't you? that "cuz i always see the bros and the dooshbags all pissed off and confused. its pretty funny" line says a lot about you.

Little_Miss_1565
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Again, who cares whether or not Bruce is a dick?

I'll listen to any counterarguments about bands that have consistently worked at their "art," like let's say Opeth, even Dream Theater (who are touring with Maiden), Devin Townsend (though he's dabbled a great deal in clownishness himself [sup, Metalocalypse?], but part of what makes him brilliant is that he's still not afraid to completely step outside himself, then in the next breath consider a Ziltoid revival). But FFS. This is Maiden. They rule. They are megatalented. They deserve to be as insanely popular as they are. But while I've liked parts of the newer albums, to say that they evolve is laughable because this is not a band that evolves. They put out the same album over and over again. It's cool, because it works, because they're Maiden. But don't tell me that we've never heard them do anything the likes of "El Dorado" before.

And sorry, Cones, I'm going to laugh hard and claim metal cred if someone tells me I don't get Maiden. Sinister doesn't understand a lot of things, but I'm certainly never going to try to argue about Metallica with him.

Llamas
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
For the record, I don't care who is "more metal" than whom in any situation. And I never claimed anyone didn't "get Maiden". I just think it's lame to complain about set lists. I hope they come back to my city sometime in the next decade cause I'd be more than stoked to see them, regardless of which songs they play. They're one of my favorite metal bands and I love about 90% of their songs. Plus I finally have friends in the area I live in who also love Maiden, so I'd actually have someone to see them with ;D

Rooster
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Again, i have to agree with Llamas. I'd love to see them live, and i pretty much don't care which songs they would play. I still regret not seeing them in june 2007, when they played in our capital (i was busy with exams then).

And please folks, stop about who's more "metal" than the other, it looks childish.

Little_Miss_1565
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, I am in a super bad mood today, but I feel totally entitled to my disappointment in the set list, especially considering how much I love this band, that this will be my first time seeing them, and that they are mad old so who knows if it could end up being the last. Generally, if you ever feel the need to preface anything with "no offense," well, Jesus. Never complained about them never playing anything obscure, which is generally what set list complaints in other parts of this forum tend to be, just wanted to know where some of the songs a great number of people might care about are being kept. Nor did I ever slam the band or people who like the new stuff. I just said I'm thinking about selling my ticket.

Retard
06-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I was jus amazed that someone would get pissed off that i said I wasn't impressed.... if maiden tickets werent so exspensive i'd see them in a heartbeat cuz i know theyd be badass..... but yea... and actually i hate arguments for the most part.... i'm never one to argue... i'm just defending myself after being attacked....

Ninty Man
06-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I was jus amazed that someone would get pissed off that i said I wasn't impressed.... if maiden tickets werent so exspensive i'd see them in a heartbeat cuz i know theyd be badass..... but yea... and actually i hate arguments for the most part.... i'm never one to argue... i'm just defending myself after being attacked....

Who attacked you damn paranoid???

Geez, I only told you not to mess with Bruce, and that's because he's a great singer, songwriter, and his solo albums are good- but the chemical wedding is a fucking masterpiece-

Maiden is one of the best metal bands, BUT I'M SICK OF HEARING THE SAME FUCKING SONS. I would kill to hear rainmaker, but I won't get it, so... here we have the set

-'The Wicker Man' UFFF, great song, even if is a copy of Running Wilf of Judas Priest's Hellbent for leather album. Brave New World
-'The Ghost Of The Navigator' I would remove this for rainmaker, just my opinion. Brave New World
-'Brighter Than a Thousand Suns' GREAT FUCKING SONG, EPIC. A Matter of life and death
-'El Dorado' New one, just hope is a great live song. Final Frontier
-'Paschendale' Great war song, maybe, a little bit epic, but works. Dance of death
-'The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg' A Matter of life and death. I really like this song, is heavy, kinda slow, but powerful
-'These Colours Don't Run' A Matter of life and death. Not a fan, I would put different world
-'Blood Brothers'. OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Brave new world best song, after Brave New World... love it
-'Wildest Dreams' Good song, to put the mood of party. Dance of death
-'No More Lies' Dance of death should be instead of this one. IN MY OPINION.
-'Brave New World' Nothing more to say. Best song of the same titled
-'Fear Of The Dark' from fear of the dark, the best song of the Goodbye bruce era. I think is a good choice for the hardcore fans
-'Iron Maiden' If they don't put this one, I would kill someone- Same titled album
-------------------------------
-'Number Of the Beast' IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS SONG, WHICH ALBUM IS, AND THE CHORUS, YOU SHOULD BE IN THE KILLERS GIG
-'Hallowed Be Thy Name' Oh, love it it, from number of the beast.
-'Running Free' YEARS OF NO HEARING THIS ONE. No more run to the hills this time. From Iron Maiden -1980 album dudes... BUY IT NOW

mrconeman
06-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Retard - for the love of God stop crying. You were never attacked, and nobody cares if you don't like the new song or not, I don't think it's anything special myself, people took issue with your comments about Bruce not with your comments on the song, because they were bullshit without any back up. I don't care that you have something against Bruce Dickinson, I really don't, but at least have a reason, not some made up bullshit, which you already admitted to having done, so that's all over now, everythings cool, just chill out.

Sarah - I don't think it's laughable at all to say that Maiden have evolved in their music. While I don't entirely disagree with you, I think it's very fair to say they've tried new things over the span of their career. Listen to Killers and then Somewhere In Time, it's like two different bands(I know that it literally is, but you know what I mean)...albeit two different bands that use alot of guitar harmony. Or Listen to No prayer for the Dieing then Seventh Son, completely different, and one preceeded the other directly. Also Dance of Death very much in particular seemed like a really experimental album at the time of it's release, I remember thinking it sounded nothing like Iron Maiden when I first heard it.

I do get what you mean though, you could play any Maiden song, and people would know it was Maiden, but I definitely think there are different types of the Maiden style.

To conclude though, I completely understand your dissapointment with the setlist, I just wouldnt be that dissapointed myself because I would easily go and see them if they were a new band who had only just released any one of the new albums, because I love the new albums. But I can only seriously reccomend going to see them anyway, as you'll know more than most people, a fucking great live band, is a fucking great live band, weather they're playing your favourite songs or not. Iron Maiden (Playing AMOLAD) was the greatest gig I went to for a very long time, until I seen the John Butler Trio, who were just outstanding. But my God, Fear of The Dark played live is worth the asking price of a ticket alone.

Ninty - Iron Maiden have closed every single show they have ever played with the song Iron Maiden, there's no chance of not hearing that, they will always play it. I would castrate someone to hear Phantom of the Opera played live, and I would also love to see them play The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, off of Brave New World, because it's such an amazing fucking song, and they've never played it, infuriates me.

P.S I've argued Metallica with Sinister a bunch of times, and won.

Little_Miss_1565
06-12-2010, 08:07 AM
It's that hair, man, it gives you magical powers.

Ninty Man
06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Ninty - Iron Maiden have closed every single show they have ever played with the song Iron Maiden, there's no chance of not hearing that, they will always play it. I would castrate someone to hear Phantom of the Opera played live, and I would also love to see them play The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, off of Brave New World, because it's such an amazing fucking song, and they've never played it, infuriates me.

P.S I've argued Metallica with Sinister a bunch of times, and won.

I saw phantom of the opera last year LOL...

And I disagree with the song you put- I hate that XD... but no personal attack to you, ok?

I think they will put more songs of the new album as the tour progresses

mrconeman
06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
It's that hair, man, it gives you magical powers.

So it is theorised.

Retard
06-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I never cried.... i might now though.... did i say i made it up? i heard it from people.... but not a lot of them. oh well.