PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with this forum is...

DirtyMagical
01-30-2005, 07:48 AM
After posting on other message boards I have decided, that this forum rather sucks, and I realized that I'm gonna be bitched at for saying this but I have a point.

The threads on the first few pages are all "survey questions". Mostly because people are almost scared to make topics that people won't like. So they make threads that have been made before, such as "What are you listening to".
Originality barely surfaces on this board. It's kind of sad.

I say you guys shouldn't be such dicks to each other and allow conversations to happen in topics and not just between you and the other dude that you've been talking to on msn for 5 years since the boards opened, but for everyone.

Tizzalicious
01-30-2005, 08:02 AM
You have a point. A good one actually.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's a point for sure.
It used to be much better when we were all new.

On the other hand, certain topics have been part of this board and make it 'our' BBS such as "+/-", "Random Thoughts" and "what are you currently listening to?". They have been here for years. They belong to us.

fairy call
01-30-2005, 08:38 AM
I agree, I don't post here that much anymore cause mostly there's nothing to talk about and there are a lot of irritating people around too.

wliethof
01-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I've been thinking the same. But because i lack all kinds of creativity, I just post more random crap.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2005, 08:50 AM
It's pretty much dying with every new day. And I keep wondering what we could do to make it a little better.

wliethof
01-30-2005, 08:56 AM
we might need things like the semi powerful army.. but I think the people on here have been here too long and most of them have become waaay too cynical to be fun.

DirtyMagical
01-30-2005, 09:06 AM

On the other hand, certain topics have been part of this board and make it 'our' BBS such as "+/-", "Random Thoughts" and "what are you currently listening to?". They have been here for years. They belong to us.

I don't have anything against those topics, but we need variety. I mean it feels like a routine sometimes...
1. Post the song you're listening to.
2. Post lyrics to the other one.
3. Post a random sentense thats on your mind.
4. Sadomize a newbie.
5. Post another song.
6. Post in the +/- thread(one of the best "regular threads" actually)
7. Tell a newbie to go die.
8. Complain about TripBoy impostors.
9. Song.
10 Trip Boy
11. Talk about the person above you.
12. Check the photo album
13. Bitch out newbie
--repeated as needed

RXP
01-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Agreed. DM has a point. Back in the day it was better fo sure.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't have anything against those topics, but we need variety. I mean it feels like a routine sometimes...
1. Post the song you're listening to.
2. Post lyrics to the other one.
3. Post a random sentense thats on your mind.
4. Sadomize a newbie.
5. Post another song.
6. Post in the +/- thread(one of the best "regular threads" actually)
7. Tell a newbie to go die.
8. Complain about TripBoy impostors.
9. Song.
10 Trip Boy
11. Talk about the person above you.
12. Check the photo album
13. Bitch out newbie
--repeated as needed

Hahaha. Pretty much summed it up there.

EDIT

Also, after we know what the problem is we should work out a strategy/plan to solve it. This thread is a good place to do it in.

Trip Boy
01-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Number ten on the list. Not bad.

Betty
01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I say you guys shouldn't be such dicks to each other and allow conversations to happen in topics and not just between you and the other dude that you've been talking to on msn for 5 years since the boards opened, but for everyone.

I half agree with what you're getting at.

See... I'd be just as interested in having a conversation with a "newbie" if they interested me. But all these stupid poll topics and incredibly boring topics you speak of are created by the people that don't interest me, and a lot of them being "newbies". There are some older members who don't particularly interest me as well. So it's not just about being a dick to some people just because you don't "know" them, but it's because they don't really deserve much more.

I think a lot of the "newbies" enjoy posting in the boring threads, cause they do it all the time and have racked up 1500 posts in a couple of months.

I do agree though that there is probably a bit too much elitism going on, and maybe people should make more of an effort to not fall into such a trap, but that depends on the specific individuals.

Also, my stay at the BBS would be pretty different than what you described:
1. Check politics forum, read interesting topics, reply if I so desire.
2. Check general chat, look for posts by people reknown to post good topics, read and maybe reply.
3. Read topics that sound interesting regardless of the poster.
4. Check "other bands" section and possibly read something.
5. If very bored or very much procrastinating read some of the "+/-" or "photo album" topics.

So, it really depends what you're into and what you like to talk about. Do you like to have small chat about your day? Do you like to have e-orgys? Do you like to picture whore? Do you like to debate politics? Music? Make fun of people? Etc, etc.

Vera
01-30-2005, 11:30 AM
It's funny when people talk about the good old days. Because really, as far as I've been here, there has never been a time when people haven't bitched. It's either "Ooooh soon this board will go crap again!" (even during the so-called good ol' days people find it in themselves to complain about the situation or how it will all go down from there) or "Ooooh, this board blows so much cock!".

It does blow cock. Sometimes I can completely indulge myself in the fact that it sucks. Sometimes it pisses me off a huge fucking load.

I try to do my bit. I do admit I sort of support the elitist attitude and live up to my board personality of being a bit of a bitch, but it's just kind of how I like to have fun. I don't take it all that seriously, most of the time. Other times I'm dead serious.

The newbie thing is sort of funny. It's kind of like "newbie until proven otherwise". We all judge each other based on what we type and whether we know each other and who we know. It's fucked as hell, but I don't think it's all that easy to fix. Especially when we haven't got this "closed community" type of thing here. It's an official message board, new fans join, old fans join, new members flow in daily and it gets bigger and bigger and so there forms an "inside gang" or rather, several groups who know each other and interract more with each other than anyone else.

the_GoDdEsS
01-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I loved Vera's explanation. Sounded sort of sociological. =)

Betty
01-30-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree with the good ol' days thing. I think the board has always been very similar to how it is now. I guess that's probably part of the reason people keep coming back though... they remember the things that actually WERE good.

Pinocchio
01-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I loved Vera's explanation. Sounded sort of sociological. =)
yea, like an english essay in high school.. There are a lot of good points in it. I`d give 9+.

dirty_magical is so right.. I haven`t been here for ages but the pattern seems very clear.
I personally can`t help laughing at trip boys posts, that guy just can`t be taken seriously.. anyway.. Maybe it would be refreshing to check out other boards too,
wonder if they`re much different from this one.

SkunkIt
01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
This is the best board i've ever seen.

SkunkIt
01-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Number ten on the list. Not bad.

Don't you have more of a life than impersonating Tripboy all the time?

wliethof
01-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I remember when I joined in jan 2001, people were moaning about the old days of the board, before jul. 2000

arak0r
01-30-2005, 12:53 PM
This is the best board i've ever seen.

this board lacks a laughing emoticon. nuff said :\

tho ill gladly say more. shes dead on with her points, this board is extremely boring. i usually only come here when other forums are down, or im bored out of my mind. then i have to browse through 3948384 topics to find 1 good one to reply to.

its simply because (imho) back on the old board, everyone pretty much knew everyone else. now theres a shitload of new people, and the older people get screwed over.

its like the board is going through another ice age, and we're just gonna have to wait for it to end before we can get comfortable with it again

Pinocchio
01-30-2005, 01:25 PM
this board lacks a laughing emoticon. nuff said :\

tho ill gladly say more. shes dead on with her points, this board is extremely boring. i usually only come here when other forums are down, or im bored out of my mind. then i have to browse through 3948384 topics to find 1 good one to reply to.

its simply because (imho) back on the old board, everyone pretty much knew everyone else. now theres a shitload of new people, and the older people get screwed over.

its like the board is going through another ice age, and we're just gonna have to wait for it to end before we can get comfortable with it again

for example, what board would be better than this? just being curious..
because I`m sure there are better boards, just haven`t seen any yet.

I like this site`s appearance and there are some fairly funny members too..
if I`m a bit tired I usually get some good laughs here...

arak0r
01-30-2005, 01:39 PM
http://www.panterachat.com/phpBB/
is my main place to post. quake3world was the absolute BEST board i have EVER seen. unfortunately GSI is a piece of shit and fucked it all up, so the community had to move to a different location. thankfully m ost of the people found it, but no noobs will ever venture there :\

Pinocchio
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
http://www.panterachat.com/phpBB/
is my main place to post. quake3world was the absolute BEST board i have EVER seen. unfortunately GSI is a piece of shit and fucked it all up, so the community had to move to a different location. thankfully m ost of the people found it, but no noobs will ever venture there :\

that site looks good superficially.
playing quake3 in intranet was great fun at high school. haven`t played anything since.

Mota Boy
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
At least it's better than the board immediately prior to this one.

Personally, I hate people that carry out personal conversations on the board. I'd like to use this for a group discussion, not so a couple thirteen-year-olds can play the verbal equivalent of grab-ass in public.

Also, people always bitch about boards, it's one of the immutable qualities of online forums, but it really has gone downhill from a while ago. To me, the explanation lies in the people. Out of the top twenty posters, I think I can assign a basic personality to half a dozen of them. This isn't that I've been ignoring people because they're new - it's because I've been ignoring people because they're fucking boring. Very few people have a distinguishable opinion, sense of humor or style of writing, except shitty.

I blame them. I'm open to anyone new that's interesting, but the sad fact is that they just ain't comin'.

wliethof
01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Everyone's babbling about how bad it is and what should be done to make it better, but no one actually starts posting fun/good topics.

I lack good ideas for topics. maybe I lack intelligence or creativity. But at least I don't whine about shittyness while not realising I'm not going anything constructive on here.

Mota Boy
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Eh, I'm posting about how awful it is because, in doing so, I'm contributing to this topic. I'm not one to start a new thread just to bitch about the situation (not that this was one such thread). Every so often I do my part and sometimes I even actively try and think up interesting shit to post. However, such topics are usually quickly drowned out by "wat r u eeting tunite" threads that make me mad enough to drop-kick my cat over the neighbor's house.

Linda
01-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Everyone's babbling about how bad it is and what should be done to make it better, but no one actually starts posting fun/good topics.

My guess is that's because people are much better at complaining than they are at solving problems.

wliethof
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Just, I wondered why everyone came and bitched about it here, instead of making good topics. Some people bitch without realising that they don't post good stuff either.

wliethof
01-30-2005, 03:14 PM
My guess is that's because people are much better at complaining than they are at solving problems.

I know I am!

Chris
01-30-2005, 03:17 PM
the old cliché of the forum being only as good at its members comes to mind. Not really bothered myself, don't get too involved these days and to be honest, I've had my days of being active member of five or so forums. Most enjoyable ones have been where everyones quite local - i.e. same country, and an actual joint interest as basis, without any cynicism (as its quite obvious hardly any of the older members come here because its the offsprings forum, although I can't blame them either)

4eh
01-30-2005, 03:17 PM

Fuck this threads!!! :mad: i agree with DM. you are interested only in what +/- your friends have! what are you currently listening to????? this is thread for those who wants to earn messages! Everything becomes old!

Chris
01-30-2005, 03:30 PM
the thing is, its nice to have some list threads around - kind of an ice breaker or topic to post in randomly. But without moderation, topics of no substance just overtake everything else.

Mota Boy
01-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. Just, I wondered why everyone came and bitched about it here, instead of making good topics. Some people bitch without realising that they don't post good stuff either.
I was speaking for people in the topic in general. And as for your second part, too true.

Camilamazed
01-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok Guys.I agree with everything that has been said here.I just have a question:

Why do you guys still read the forums if you guys think this is boring,with repeated shit or some old stuff?If you guys are annoyed by these same threads full of replies why don't you start new ones, so you can have new things?

Stop complaining about nothing.That's the point.You are guys are too much worried with it.Just ignore them.Don't read.Don't reply.

I know the answer would be that u have a lot of friends u met here.That's why MSN,YAHOO,AIM and ICQ are used for.

I don't reply in threads I don't want too, Don't read the ones I don't want too....... I just do'nt get annoyed by them.

Sorry Dirty Magical.I didn't want to mees up this thread.I just want to show that we can igonre it and keep enjoyign the forum with the people we like :D

Linda
01-30-2005, 04:49 PM
The Problem with this forum is...

There are too many people here who think they know everything and think they're better than anyone else. Internet persona my ass. I know what certain people are going to reply to this, but they can go ahead, 'cos it's not true. If those certain people would just leave other certain people alone, this forum would be alot more pleasant to post on.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Internet persona my ass.

-Sigh- I wondered if you were ever going to bring that up.

It is an Internet persona. If you don't want to believe that, fine. But a few people here know me outside of the BBS and know I'm not really like that. I explained all this to you in my PM.

Linda
01-30-2005, 05:44 PM
In my opinion, the internet would be a whole lot more fun if people would just be themselves. I still believe, however, that a portion of your real self still shows thru no matter how you try to portray yourself online, therefore, not a true internet persona. Unless you're a schizo and have multiple personalities.

David, why do you think I'm always referring to you? Get over yourself.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Of course a certain portion of ourselves shows through. But by the same token, we can never (IMHO) be truly ourselves on the Internet either. Normative social influence - conforming with the majority, to whatever extent, to be liked and appreciated. This is just my opinion, though.

Yes, on the BBS, I try and show the more cynical side of myself, but I suppose you're right - it is still me. Like I explained to you in my PM (but I suppose now I have to share publicly) nowhere in my life do I have an output for that judgemental, cynical side, so I do it here. But my true personality isn't all cynical and judgemental; infact, I'd say that's the majority.

I'm sure this is the same with you - as we discussed, the BBS is a place to let out your feelings. Whether it's anger, or what - it's a place to do that. But, we can be selective about the feelings we choose to let out, and therefore the image we put across.

EDIT: Because you said "Internet persona", and I used that phrase yesterday. I was only referring to that section of your post.

I don't always think you're referring to me.. why can't you just.. grah. Whatever.

Linda
01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
EDIT: Because you said "Internet persona", and I used that phrase yesterday. I was only referring to that section of your post.

The term "internet persona" has be used way before you used it.
No one said you had to "share publicly" anything in our PMs, I haven't.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I can feel my blood pressure rising, so I'm going to do that whole "ignoring" thing I mentioned.

Linda
01-30-2005, 05:59 PM
:) :D Sorry.

Jack the Tripper
01-30-2005, 06:12 PM
I've been trying to get that point out for a while but them fuckshits keep complaining about them pointless threads. I'm not sure how many times I said If you don't like a thread, don't read it

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 06:14 PM
How can you tell you don't like it if you don't read it?

arak0r
01-30-2005, 06:18 PM
well message or call a friend and ask them to read it for you. duh.

Mr. Noodles
01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
How can you tell you don't like it if you don't read it?
I think he meant don't reply to a thread you don't like.

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Joey: Seems like an awful lot of bother to me.

Well he could have just said so.

nitropenguin!
01-30-2005, 06:23 PM
If no one complained about threads, expressing their witty, humorous remarks... this board just wouldn't be the same. In a bad way.

arak0r
01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Joey: Seems like an awful lot of bother to me.

saaaahcaaaaasm

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-30-2005, 06:33 PM
I know. So was mine.

omg, we're so witty.

Chris
01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
not reading threads you don't like isn't going to change that fact that generally shite (in the non subjective sense) topics are still cluttering the board and wasting time, and dragging any standards down

arak0r
01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I know. So was mine.

omg, we're so witty.

lolololol cyber?

Jack the Tripper
01-30-2005, 06:52 PM
yeah, that's what I meant. But don't go to it at all if you know you're not gonna like it. Some people say that they only came to the thread because it's a double and I need to use the search button. That's where you don't click the thread at all.

nitropenguin!
01-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Die, Jack. Die!

Jack the Tripper
01-30-2005, 06:53 PM
not reading threads you don't like isn't going to change that fact that generally shite (in the non subjective sense) topics are still cluttering the board and wasting time, and dragging any standards down
no noe can make them stop either. New users get made all the time

Pinocchio
01-31-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm open to anyone new that's interesting, but the sad fact is that they just ain't comin'.

or they will be told to fuck off as soon as they make one rookie error..

Vera
01-31-2005, 06:32 AM
Zero tolerance!

Jesus Christ, it's a message board. You can't expect people to be nice.

Something that applies to both IRC and a lot of other web communities: "It's like a diary that talks back to you and takes the piss."

Nina
01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
i agree with Mota Boy, its the little conversations that
annoy me, too. i always try to skip them but it gets really
bad after a while. but maybe i just believe so because
those conversations happen to be SO boring. i dont want
to whine right now but i guess that half-sentence can
be considered as whining.

and although this might have been said before, i'll just say
it again now: even if the board "sucks" so bad, there are
still tons of people who keep coming back. i am one of them.
i dont visit any other boards, because i just cant get used
to any. i liked this one more than any other, from the
beginning. yet i just cannot figure out a proper reason for
that. i mean, there are tons of tiny reasons, such as "some
of my online friends are here and i want to know how they
are" or "when i am incredibly bored i go on here", but thats
not always the case. it has become a part of my life really,
and as i am aware of the fact that this sounds INCREDIBLY
pathetic (probably because it is), i know that many people
are like me, because otherwise you wouldnt come back
every or every other day, so i am really not worried.

...nobody will read this anyway. pft.

Tizzalicious
01-31-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree...I used to like this board for all the little convo's...but I started to think all the offtopic shit is annoying. I do it myself too though. Hmmz =/