PDA

View Full Version : Jim lindberg from pennywise new band the black pacific

bouncingcoles
06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Jim lindbergs new band called the black pacific sounds pretty good. similar punk rock to pennywise obviously but still good.

http://www.myspace.com/blackpacific

Rooster
06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Oh, Snap! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yoTgr-deY0)

Indeed.

edit: I'm digging the song. But i couldn't resist to post that link. It won't be hard to figure out why...

jacknife737
06-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I dig it.

Interesting to see that it's going to be out on Side One Dummy.

Offspring-Junkie
06-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Not bad, I'm impressed. So where's the difference to Pennywise? Sounds like a new song by them (Pennywise), not just because of Lindberg's voice.

Alex101
06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I hope this project will play some Pennywise songs live just because Jim was in that band.

RODNEYMULLEN
06-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Who else thinks this song sounds alot like as long as we can?

Krojd
06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Who else thinks this song sounds alot like as long as we can?

Maybe Raptor88?

cool 2 hate 681
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope this project will play some Pennywise songs live just because Jim was in that band.

that would be cool maybe when they play kroq epicenter 2010 in september

nameless
06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
the link wont work for me but it strikes me as odd that he has found a new group considering the apparent reasons he left pennywise, missing being away from home etc. surely if this new group are to be successful they are going to have to tour and do the usual band things!

Rooster
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe Raptor88 had another reason to post that link :)

Maybe that reason was bouncingcoles's coment on the new offspring song, which apparently sounds too similar to Times Like These, while ignoring this recycled riff. It's not that much similar otherwise. Well, actually verses are a lot like verses in As Long As We Can, and this time we are indeed talking about much greater similarity than new offspring song and Times Like These. Now that i've said what i wanted to say i'll leave this matter alone.

Anyway, despite this i like the song. Though, it sounds exactly like something Pennywise would do. But Lindberg's vocals have kind of grown on me, so i'll be deffinitely checking this band out in the future.

jacknife737
06-23-2010, 04:51 PM
the link wont work for me but it strikes me as odd that he has found a new group considering the apparent reasons he left pennywise, missing being away from home etc. surely if this new group are to be successful they are going to have to tour and do the usual band things!

I don't think he's going to treat it like Pennywise: it seems like it may just be a sort of "part time" thing. I suspect it's more of a way for Jim to have a musical outlet than as a way to make a living.

Outerspaceman21
06-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I like this sound. Pretty tight.

RageAndLov
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Jim: "I'm quitting Pennywise because I want more time with my children. Actually, I just start a new band instead of spending more time with my children."

The song is great though.

Rooster
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM
It kind of makes you wonder what's the REAL reason he quit Pennywise, doesn't it? I mean, he sure as hell didn't wait very long to form a new band.

nameless
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
It kind of makes you wonder what's the REAL reason he quit Pennywise, doesn't it? I mean, he sure as hell didn't wait very long to form a new band.

well all i can assume is like someone mentioned, it wont be a fullt time group in terms of touring and recording. the pennywise schedule did include a lot of travelling so maybe he didnt want something that was as intense. he was aparently making a film or documentary around his book!

Alex101
06-26-2010, 02:45 PM
that would be cool maybe when they play kroq epicenter 2010 in september
I sorta was thinking the same thing as well.

bouncingcoles
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Maybe Raptor88 had another reason to post that link :)

Maybe that reason was bouncingcoles's coment on the new offspring song, which apparently sounds too similar to Times Like These, while ignoring this recycled riff. It's not that much similar otherwise. Well, actually verses are a lot like verses in As Long As We Can, and this time we are indeed talking about much greater similarity than new offspring song and Times Like These. Now that i've said what i wanted to say i'll leave this matter alone.

Anyway, despite this i like the song. Though, it sounds exactly like something Pennywise would do. But Lindberg's vocals have kind of grown on me, so i'll be deffinitely checking this band out in the future.

yes this is the same recycled riff we have heard a million times but the new offspring song all around sounds like times like these. like almost every part in the song. i dont really care honestly but i think people are just in denial cause its offspring and they are afraid to criticize their own favorite band.

cool 2 hate 681
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
free 2 song sampler for download

http://www.theblackpacific.com/

Alex101
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
free 2 song sampler for download

http://www.theblackpacific.com/
I know. I already checked them out.

0r4ng3
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
I tried downloading it, only got the one song. How do I get the other?

cool 2 hate 681
06-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I tried downloading it, only got the one song. How do I get the other?

here you go:)

http://www.mediafire.com/?lenlki3ktny

Alex101
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
TBP is releasing their self-titled debut album on September 14th.

http://www.punknews.org/article/38863

Rooster
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
yes this is the same recycled riff we have heard a million times...

I only heard this exact chord progression two times, and that is in this new song and As Long As We Can. The progression isn't anything particulary new, but the ending of it is something that stands out, and i only heard it in these two songs. Chord progressions in these two particular songs are exactly the same, the only difference is their pitch, and perhaps tempo/strumming pattern.

The news about their debut album is pretty good. I might actually look more into this band than what Pennywise might do next. I saw them live a while ago with Zoli, and they looked bored on the stage.

nameless
07-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I only heard this exact chord progression two times, and that is in this new song and As Long As We Can. The progression isn't anything particulary new, but the ending of it is something that stands out, and i only heard it in these two songs. Chord progressions in these two particular songs are exactly the same, the only difference is their pitch, and perhaps tempo/strumming pattern.

The news about their debut album is pretty good. I might actually look more into this band than what Pennywise might do next. I saw them live a while ago with Zoli, and they looked bored on the stage.

im gonna check out both albums, keep in mind zoli is just singing jims parts which cant be easy given the amount of material!

Rooster
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
im gonna check out both albums, keep in mind zoli is just singing jims parts which cant be easy given the amount of material!

I don't think you understand my point. Zoli had no problems singing the songs live, since vocally they aren't that hard. Hell, i'm not a great singer, but i can sing Pennywise songs without much problem. And it's not like they're playing every song from their entire catalog on every gig.

The problem was that they, as a band, looked bored on stage. The interaction with public was hardly more than just "Are you having a good time?", or Zoli asked Fletcher if he's enjoying, and he was just like "Yeah, i'm having a good time", which he said with a very bored voice. Randy (the bass player) didn't even want to say anything, he declined when they asked him to do so. However, that's not the main reason, i could care less about their interaction with the crowd. You just new something was missing, they were just playing their parts and nothing more. Like they wouldn't really care.

Oh well, maybe they were just having a bad day.

cool 2 hate 681
07-20-2010, 07:27 PM
interview with jim

http://www.punknews.org/article/39143

Rooster
07-21-2010, 05:31 AM
From the interview (Jim Lindberg on the difference between recording experiences with Pennywise and The Black Pacific):

Couldn’t have been more different, there’s no question that about that. Fletcher and I butted heads a lot. We both felt very strongly about Pennywise and how it should sound, how the band should be run and so, it was kind of like two brothers trying to run a company together—we fought a lot. It just made it so the last album, I honestly knew that I would probably never do it again because I just had such an unhappy time in the studio. I love recording and I love writing music and it’s really frustrating when it doesn’t go well because that’s kind of like, what I live for—I love going in there and hearing the songs develop and I get a lot of enjoyment out of that process, and when it’s the opposite of that it just kills your spirit and when we had similar conflicts it made me realize that I had too much respect for the band to continue doing it when I wasn’t happy and that’s basically what—if anyone asks me what happened—I was unhappy doing it so it was time to move on for me.

So, what was the official reason for leaving Pennwyise again? Being a "punk rock dad", wanting to spend more time with his family? My ass! Seems like the real reason is what he said in the quote above. And that's much more likely, since he didn't stay without a band for too long. I thought it would be something like this. Anyway, a good decision, i respect it.

And i'm getting excited about The Black Pacific debut, more than what Pennywise does next actually. Especially after reading this:

Yeah, probably song two, “When It’s Over,” just for the fact that, I think when people hear the first song, “The System,” they’re like, “Okay, that’s Jim’s voice and the same sort of guitar…he’s just doing more Pennywise,” but I think that when you hear track two you can’t say that, and then later on there are other songs where it’s like—I think there are three songs that I did in drop D tuning, so I really tried to mix it up a little bit and there’s one song that has kind of a Clash vibe—that’s what I look forward to on the next record—I’m going to experiment even more, not the type of experimenting that a lot bands talk about where that means they’re going to put out a really weird, freaky, stupid album (laughs), I mean the type of experimenting where I want to pull in some of the influence of bands that I really like, bands like Pegboy and Jawbreaker—I’m a big fan of like, power-pop and stuff like that, I’m just excited about that prospect.

If they really try to do something different than Pennywise, i'm all for it :)

cool 2 hate 681
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
here is the cover art and tracklisting

http://www.punknews.org/images/covers/the-black-pacific-the-black-pacific.jpg

1 The System
2 When It's Over
3 Living With Ghosts
4 Time Is Not The Reason
5 Almost Rising
6 Kill Your Idols
7 Defamer
8 Ruinator
9 Put Down Your Weapons
10 No Purpose

Oxygene
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
yes this is the same recycled riff we have heard a million times but the new offspring song all around sounds like times like these. like almost every part in the song. i dont really care honestly but i think people are just in denial cause its offspring and they are afraid to criticize their own favorite band.

try not to think then.. it seems to really not be working out for you :)

nameless
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
id just noticed they were touring europe soon which sureprised me given the alledged reasons for leaving pennywise but then read the interview which cleared things up. sounds almost like a bit too much of a fairy tale the way it all just came together but i look for ward to seeing them on tour!

cool 2 hate 681
08-21-2010, 07:16 PM
the album has leaked

http://hotfile.com/dl/62437606/5c409e1/www.NewAlbumReleases.net_The_Black_Pacific_-_The_Black_Pacific_%282010%29.rar.html

dff_punk
08-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Cool! Looking forward to listening to it :)

jacknife737
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
It's a pretty solid album. Doesn't really stray too far from the traditional Pennywise sound, but it's a pretty fun listen. It's got some great gang vocals.

nameless
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
be interestign seeing them live with jim playing an instrument as well! i guess pennywise fans would always like the new material. just out of interest, would anyone be listening to themif they were just the run of the mill band starting out?!

jacknife737
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
be interestign seeing them live with jim playing an instrument as well! i guess pennywise fans would always like the new material. just out of interest, would anyone be listening to themif they were just the run of the mill band starting out?!

Well that's kind of difficult to answer, considering that Jim's vocals probably play a key role in their appeal. If Jim wasn't involved, it would most likely have a completely different sound.

dff_punk
08-23-2010, 05:21 PM
On first listen, the album sounds like Pennywise wanted to be the 20% of their sound more experimental... :D

Btw, Living With Ghosts fucking rocks.

jacknife737
08-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, it's hardly a big jump in sound for them, although i read in an interview that Jim had been listening to a bit of "power pop" when they were recording, and i got that vibe on a couple songs, especially Put Down Your Weapons.

Rooster
08-28-2010, 07:31 AM
It doesn't deviate too much from traditional Pennywise sound, but The Black Pacific do sound different from time to time. My first impression was that we can't call them "Pennywise No.2". I still stand by that, though they are very similar.

Almost Rising is amazing.

cool 2 hate 681
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
music video for the system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgQA6BosbY

nameless
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
the album is officially released in the uk tomorrow with the tour next month, has nyone caught them live recently?!

nameless
10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
finally got round to listening to it. my first impressions are that it is quite different from pennywise. i thought by peoples comments it would all be similar stuff. theres some good tracks on there but like the other pennywise albums, they will probably grow on me!

Alex101
10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
They're going to play a one-off U.S. show next Friday (October 15th) at The Key Club in L.A. and they'll be in Europe from October 27th to December 1st. I guess there will be no U.S. tour until next year.

http://dyingscene.com/news/the-black-pacific-announce-first-ever-tour/

nameless
10-29-2010, 07:17 PM
just got back from their show. they were the main support band for sum 41 and had the typical half baked sound youd expect for anyone not headlining. they were good despite the sound. the bass player who recorded with them was a member of another band who had touring conflicts so they have someone new there and theyve also got a second guitar player. for the last two songs jim just did vocals, ive really missed the way he delivers them though.

lots of people seemed to know the songs but he didnt quite control the audience the way he used to, again probably as they were just supporting. they metioned they will be heading back to europe for some festivals next year as well!

Alex101
11-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I bought the Black Pacific CD yesterday, it's actually awesome! I'd totally recommend it.

Alex101
10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
I just saw Noodles say that he likes The Black Pacific record. He posted the video for "Living With Ghosts" on the band's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Offspring/posts/102088993236049

cool 2 hate 681
10-16-2011, 01:32 PM
i really like that record too one of my favorite albums from last year

Szandi
10-17-2011, 07:18 AM
i really like that record too one of my favorite albums from last year

Yeah, me too. I think this is the new Pennywise album.:D
...just because...What do you think...When will be new Pennywise album?...

cool 2 hate 681
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
im pretty sure the new pennywise album will be out next year but it's going to be weird hearing a pennywise album without jim

dff_punk
10-23-2011, 06:56 PM
It's gonna sound like PennIgnite :) I'm curious about it.

Szandi
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Pennywise: "In the studio working on the new album"
Oh cool!

Szandi
10-27-2011, 01:09 PM
It's gonna sound like PennIgnite :) I'm curious about it.

Pennygnite

Szandi
11-24-2011, 04:15 AM
I know a guy who was on Pennywise' practice in Hermosa. He said the new album is similar than Offspring just faster.
That would be cool!