PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Rod Live in Zagreb (pretty good quality)

sheltman
06-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Ok, ok, ok. I don't wanna get laughed at here but I'm not sure if this video had been posted on here or not. I finally found it on youtube and was pretty excited. Anyway, I figured I would start a thread for anyone who had not seen the video (including myself) If it has been posted, well my bad. But here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VCb8z5uhg&feature=related

Shullski
06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Oh yeh this has been posted lol..and heavily discussed.

But gratz on you finally seeing it, anyway

one hundred punks
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
What is the big deal about this song? I can think of at least ten songs they rarely play that would be better.

sheltman
06-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh yeh this has been posted lol..and heavily discussed.

But gratz on you finally seeing it, anyway

Oh well. Still pretty excited about it. I guess I just wanted to shout it from on top of a mountain but I didn't have a mountain. I had a thread on offspring.com.

Gustavo
06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, yeah. This has been discussed, and there have been many threads about it, some of which were even created by me. I don't mind talking about Lightning Rod live in Zagreb, though, everytime I think about it, it makes me happy. :)

DMelges
06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
What is the big deal about this song? I can think of at least ten songs they rarely play that would be better.

You really are a pessimist, aren't you?

one hundred punks
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
You really are a pessimist, aren't you?

Not really but again, I don't get what all the fuss over the song is. I think they have better B-sides than this but maybe that's just me.

Gustavo
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Not really but again, I don't get what all the fuss over the song is. I think they have better B-sides than this but maybe that's just me.

As you said, maybe that's just you. But what you have got to keep in mind, though, is that people -- you know, human beings other than yourself, people who don't always think the way you do -- have wanted this for a while, and worked really hard for it. If you remember correctly, there even was a campaign for the song to be played, which could only indicate the demand from the fans for the song to be played, and the band kindly played the song, showing how awesome they are, and yet you come up with this "it's not such a great song" bullshit? You may not like it so much, but please respect your fellow fans. People do tend to disagree with other, that is fine, I think everybody agrees with that, or at least should agree with that. What I'm not fine with, though, is disrespectm and I think most everybody agrees with me on that one, too.

one hundred punks
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
As you said, maybe that's just you. But what you have got to keep in mind, though, is that people -- you know, human beings other than yourself, people who don't always think the way you do -- have wanted this for a while, and worked really hard for it. If you remember correctly, there even was a campaign for the song to be played, which could only indicate the demand from the fans for the song to be played, and the band kindly played the song, showing how awesome they are, and yet you come up with this "it's not such a great song" bullshit? You may not like it so much, but please respect your fellow fans. People do tend to disagree with other, that is fine, I think everybody agrees with that, or at least should agree with that. What I'm not fine with, though, is disrespectm and I think most everybody agrees with me on that one, too.

Looks like "What we've got here is a failure to communicate" Broham? I said I don't see what the big deal is and I think there are better rare songs for them to play. Had I said FUCK ANYONE WHO LIKES THIS SONG!, well that would be disrespect.

Gustavo
06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Do we have a language barrier here, Broham?

Despite the fact that English isn't my native language, I was able to fully understand what you said, and I really do mean what I said in my first post.

one hundred punks
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Despite the fact that English isn't my native language, I was able to fully understand what you said, and I really do mean what I said in my first post.

So,please tell me,Chief, how did I disrespect anyone by saying that I think there are better rare songs for them to play and I don't see what the big deal is about Lightning Rod? How is ANY of that disrespectful? I'll wait but I have a feeling it'll be a long time.

SuperKnux
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Haha, I love that Dexter mentions the "BBS Kids" at the end of the performance. Also, who does Dexter specifically mention at the end of the video (I can't make it out)? Noodles even goes on to say; "I think I saw him in the back crying."

EDIT: Oh, I heard it now. It's Oxy. lol!

bouncingcoles
06-24-2010, 10:14 PM
okay so lightning rod sucks. i dont know why everyone likes that song. its below average. there are SO many better songs

dexterone
06-25-2010, 01:22 AM
I think,that The Noose,Long way home or Never gonna find me are way better than Lightning Rod and now I only mentioned the songs from Splinter...the next one would be Leave it behind :) but Lightning is also a great song ...

DMelges
06-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Looks like "What we've got here is a failure to communicate" Broham? I said I don't see what the big deal is and I think there are better rare songs for them to play. Had I said FUCK ANYONE WHO LIKES THIS SONG!, well that would be disrespect.

If you don't like the song, that's fine. But why the hell do you need to show up in a thread that is clearly positive to this song, and say that you don't like it? No one asked if you give a shit about the song.

one hundred punks
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
If you don't like the song, that's fine. But why the hell do you need to show up in a thread that is clearly positive to this song, and say that you don't like it? No one asked if you give a shit about the song.

Free speech,Broham. Man, you clearly don't seem to know much about punk rock. Why don't we just boot everyone off this site who has a differing opinion? Then it can be on big Bro-fest?

Little_Miss_1565
06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Not surprisingly, OHP, you are totally missing the point. It was a BBS thing. It has little to do with the song. Are we done taking a big ol stand against brotherhood now?

one hundred punks
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Not surprisingly, OHP, you are totally missing the point. It was a BBS thing. It has little to do with the song. Are we done taking a big ol stand against brotherhood now?

How does me saying I don't enjoy the song and think there are better rarities they can play live, prevent or take away from anyone's enjoyment of it? Should I start a separate thread with my feelings or can I only post in threads about songs I really like?

sheltman
06-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Man, didn't mean to start a flame war here. I guess that it may have been inevitable though.

Little_Miss_1565
06-25-2010, 08:34 AM
How does me saying I don't enjoy the song and think there are better rarities they can play live, prevent or take away from anyone's enjoyment of it? Should I start a separate thread with my feelings or can I only post in threads about songs I really like?

I was referring directly to the post you made above mine, not to your dislike of the song. Again, it's not what you're saying, it's *how* you're saying it.

Man, didn't mean to start a flame war here. I guess that it may have been inevitable though.

You didn't, it's just one person. This video rules and means a lot to people on this forum. Still makes me smile when it pops up. :)

RageAndLov
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
This song is dedicated to the BBS kids.

Blitz!
06-25-2010, 03:05 PM
What is the big deal about this song?

It is not the song per se ... it is about the fact that we (the forum members) ran a campaign for over a year to encourage the band to play Lightning Rod just for us (the offspring.com forum members ... 'bbsers') and they did and this video is dedicated to us. That is why this specific live recording of Lightning Rod is a big deal to us.

Dexter1990
06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Ok, ok, ok. I don't wanna get laughed at here but I'm not sure if this video had been posted on here or not. I finally found it on youtube and was pretty excited. Anyway, I figured I would start a thread for anyone who had not seen the video (including myself) If it has been posted, well my bad. But here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VCb8z5uhg&feature=related

Dayum. Thanks for making my day.

DMelges
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Free speech,Broham. Man, you clearly don't seem to know much about punk rock. Why don't we just boot everyone off this site who has a differing opinion? Then it can be on big Bro-fest?

I don't need to know alot about punk rock to know that you're making a fool of yourself. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all, smartass.

You entered a thread that pretty much expresses how awesome this song is, and this particular song is uniquely special to the Offspring fans. If you're a fan who has been on the bbs for a while, you should know that. No one wants you to come here and start bashing the songs you don't like. When your opinion is asked for, you can bash all you want. If it's not asked for, just keep to yourself.

And don't give me this 'freedom of speech broham' bullshit.

You don't go to church to say you don't believe in god, do you?

Oxygene
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Hahah I like that video

Moose
06-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree about the song not being that great...totally overrated on this forum...it could have been sooooo much better...it really deserves some sort of painfully insane solo...or just more melodies and to be extended more...i think the premise of it is nice, but the feel could have been stronger...i just wish they did more with it, i think it deserved to be fleshed out more

...but i also think it is one of those songs that come across great live...better than off the album...so i could see why everyone would want to have them play it live...it's pretty fast and has some neat vocals.

Niblazed
06-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Lightning Rod fucking rocks. Def not over-hyped in my opinion. I'm gonna scream my loudest for them to play it at PNC.