PDA

View Full Version : 6/29/10 Chicago Thread

Paul22085
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey everyone. Just starting my very first post here to the forums. Anyone going to the Chicago show tonight? Should be awesome. I'll post the setlist after the show but as far as videos from the show are concerned unfortunately I don't have a phone or anything that takes photos or videos. This will be my sixth Offspring concert and I'm still hoping that one of these times they'll play something from Self-Titled or Ignition.

dexterone
06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I kinda doubt,that they will play something from Ignition....dammit,but I would like to hear Forever and Day....and more songs from Splinter too...if youŽll be in the first row,try to shout out some names of songs and maybe then they will play it :P well,enjoy the show and write the setlist :)

cool 2 hate 681
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
have fun at the show:) looking forward to the setlist

Paul22085
06-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey, just got home from the show. Offspring was the second band that played but they played for about an hour. Here's the setlist:

1) The Kids Aren't Alright
2) All I Want
3) You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
4) You Will Find A Way
5) Bad Habit
6) Hammerhead
7) Come Out And Play
8) Gone Away (Piano)
9) Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
10) Guns Of Brixton
11) Why Don't You Get A Job
12) Staring At The Sun
13) Want You Bad
14) Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
15) (Can't Get My) Head Around You
16) Self Esteem

mizbanger98
06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
very fun show. good ol' offspring never disappoint

BigFish
06-30-2010, 01:29 AM
just upsets me...they might as well call it the "Greatest Hits" tour..

Dexter_italy
06-30-2010, 02:34 AM
It's a tour between the old and a further album... what do you expect them to play? it's a logical set list with 2 good inserts in it.
Enjoy the show damn.. always complaining...

OffspringWAfan
06-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Hey, just got home from the show. Offspring was the second band that played but they played for about an hour. Here's the setlist:

1) The Kids Aren't Alright
2) All I Want
3) You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
4) You Will Find A Way
5) Bad Habit
6) Hammerhead
7) Come Out And Play
8) Gone Away (Piano)
9) Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
10) Guns Of Brixton
11) Why Don't You Get A Job
12) Staring At The Sun
13) Want You Bad
14) Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
15) (Can't Get My) Head Around You
16) Self Esteem

I thought The Offspring were the headliner on this tour? You guys got ripped off no offense.. They played 20 in Seattle :)

OffspringWAfan
06-30-2010, 03:35 AM
My video of the new song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ev6MjVB2HE

Discopij
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
I know I should expect this by now, but it still disappoints me that they play such a canned setlist year after year. I've seen them on 6 different tours and it's always a simple combo of greatest hits + new album + maybe one surprise for an hour or so ... and last night was probably the weakest of all the shows ... i'm a little worried they are just phoning in this tour ... they came to chicago and played the same venue exactly a year ago - they played 5 more songs last year and the only non-repeats from last night were the new song, clash cover, and gotta get away ... i got so excited when they played Mota last year - it was just one song but it's all i needed to think they actually try to mix it up just a bit

the hardest part for me to understand is that there are always so many long-time fans at every show that would kill for any of 40-50 great songs they choose not to play, and it almost never happens. I love this band ... and i think one of the ways a band can love their fans back more is to show some appreciation for the long-time fans, and it makes me sad that offspring just aren't into that

_Lost_
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought The Offspring were the headliner on this tour? You guys got ripped off no offense.. They played 20 in Seattle :)

No, 311 is the main band for the tour. The Offspring "joined" them on the road, meaning that they go after the opening act but before 311. Thus, they'd be limited to an hour. Openers usually get less than 45mins. The secondary band should average about an hour and then 311 should in theory play 1:15 to 1:30... maybe 1:45 depending on their typical set length.

OffspringWAfan
06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
No, 311 is the main band for the tour. The Offspring "joined" them on the road, meaning that they go after the opening act but before 311. Thus, they'd be limited to an hour. Openers usually get less than 45mins. The secondary band should average about an hour and then 311 should in theory play 1:15 to 1:30... maybe 1:45 depending on their typical set length.

Ya that makes sense man.. I'm just surprised, I thought Offspring were way higher in popularity then 311...

_Lost_
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
They might be. I don't really know all that much about 311. 311 has been touring for a while now for their latest release or something and this is like their 2nd time around and I think they solicited The Offspring to join them on their summer tour.

Paul22085
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Ya, I thought Offspring was going to be the main band as well. I was disappointed when I found out they weren't. But overall it was a good show. I was thinking of leaving when Offspring was done but decided to stick around for 311 just to get my $36.50 worth of the ticket. The seat I was in was pretty decent; Section 309 a few rows up from the seated VIP section right in the middle. I didn't really expect them to play any older stuff besides the main singles from Smash which they did. I'd gladly pay $36.50 again to see them play any time.

_Lost_
06-30-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2010&newsID=769716

it seems the unity tour is a yearly thing that 311 hosts.

cool 2 hate 681
06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/news?year=2010&newsID=769716

it seems the unity tour is a yearly thing that 311 hosts.

yes it is i think they have been having it since 2006

mario_spaghettio
06-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Ya that makes sense man.. I'm just surprised, I thought Offspring were way higher in popularity then 311...311 have a really good US fanbase especially regarding the live show/tour. Usually, every summer they bring out one highly regarded/respected band on tour with them to make for a good package. These 2 bands have kind of been through the same ringer, both going from underground in the early 90s, breaking through in the mid 90's, and now still making music and touring 20+ years later. Not that many bands from that era are still going, let alone making new music and touring so the 2 together makes sense.

OffspringWAfan
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM
311 have a really good US fanbase especially regarding the live show/tour. Usually, every summer they bring out one highly regarded/respected band on tour with them to make for a good package. These 2 bands have kind of been through the same ringer, both going from underground in the early 90s, breaking through in the mid 90's, and now still making music and touring 20+ years later. Not that many bands from that era are still going, let alone making new music and touring so the 2 together makes sense.

Its funny I hadn't heard of them until Blake lewis on american idol said they were his favorite band a couple years ago...

bouncingcoles
07-01-2010, 12:12 AM
I know I should expect this by now, but it still disappoints me that they play such a canned setlist year after year. I've seen them on 6 different tours and it's always a simple combo of greatest hits + new album + maybe one surprise for an hour or so ... and last night was probably the weakest of all the shows ... i'm a little worried they are just phoning in this tour ... they came to chicago and played the same venue exactly a year ago - they played 5 more songs last year and the only non-repeats from last night were the new song, clash cover, and gotta get away ... i got so excited when they played Mota last year - it was just one song but it's all i needed to think they actually try to mix it up just a bit

the hardest part for me to understand is that there are always so many long-time fans at every show that would kill for any of 40-50 great songs they choose not to play, and it almost never happens. I love this band ... and i think one of the ways a band can love their fans back more is to show some appreciation for the long-time fans, and it makes me sad that offspring just aren't into that

yes i agree finally someone who agrees with me

Discopij
07-01-2010, 12:23 PM
yes i agree finally someone who agrees with me

I realize questioning the band's intentions on its message board is bound to come with negative responses (which is why i generally don't post on message boards) but i think it had to be said ... i think they ignore their biggest fans by playing the live sets they do ... and their big fans represent a pretty big chunk of their live audience

TheOldMark
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
this setlist is pretty whack. i guess if they were limited to 16 songs, thats about what they would have to play.

havent seen them play without an encore since warped tour in '05.

Supa
07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I agree, the setlist is pretty weak, but they had to be off at a certain time for 311, so I forgive them for that. Still, they put on a heck of a show even when they only play singles, and I enjoyed it a lot...just wish they would've played more rare stuff...like Burn It Up or Beheaded (I requested Burn It Up, some other guy yelled Beheaded).