PDA

View Full Version : St. Paul Show

IamSam
07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Just got back from the St. Paul show and am going to throw a few things out there before I throw pictures into this thread and what not:

-It rained (down poured) for a good long while during the afternoon.
-Because of this, no HD video of the new song because I wasn't going to sacrifice my $1800 camera for you guys. Sorry.
-I did get a bunch of pics which I will upload tomorrow.
-The band was awesome.
-A large majority of the crowd left the festival after the band got done playing and before 311 came on stage.
-The crowd got way into Gone Away on piano.
-Everybody liked the new song
-YGGFK as an opener is fucking awesome.

cool 2 hate 681
07-06-2010, 12:44 AM
thanks for the info looking forward to the pics:)

jacknife737
07-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Glad you had a ballin' time! The piano version of Gone Away was definitely a highlight of when I saw them last summer, and congrats on finally getting to see them!

Looking forwards to the pictures as well!

Spooie
07-06-2010, 02:08 AM
I went to this as well. My friends and I got there around 2:30, so we stood around in the rain for 3 hours before Pepper came on. Worth it, though. Front row!

Pepper played an amazing show. I just wish the vocals were turned up a little bit higher so we could hear them.

The Offspring was awesome as well, I just wish they had more stage time. New song is sweet too.

It seemed like half of the crowd was there just for The Offspring since so many people left after their set, me being one of them. 311 is meh.

It was an awesome show and well worth standing in the rain for hours.

IamSam
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Dude, you were in the front row for hours? I probably saw you! I was the dude who looked like a drowned rat wearing a Mario green mushroom 1 up shirt!

Pepper was good but would have been great if you could have heard what they were singing.

And when we say it rained or it poured...we are serious. I was soaked to the bone...my contacts were playing so much havoc with my eyes that people first thought I had lit up a bowl before I came to the concert. It's funny though...as soon as you say 'I have contacts' and it is raining people automatically understand and take pity on you.

_Lost_
07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I wonder if llamas made it to the show...

IamSam
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Nope. She did not.

IamSam
07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
PICS ARE UP. (http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?&aid=2010978&add=1&created=1#!/album.php?aid=2010978&id=148900773)

Due to the vast amount I put them on a public Facebook album instead of my website. Bandwidth costs yo.

Dirty Magic
07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
PICS ARE UP. (http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?&aid=2010978&add=1&created=1#!/album.php?aid=2010978&id=148900773)

Due to the vast amount I put them on a public Facebook album instead of my website. Bandwidth costs yo.

When I clicked on the link, all it did was bring me to my facebook home page.

IamSam
07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Gah...hang on...it will have to wait until tonight for me to fix it...it will be after 11pm CST. Sorry for the inconvenience...work and all.

Blitz!
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
The pictures are truly awesome Birch, you definitely have an eye for photography.

Beevis
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I was there. Drove all the way home to Pierre, SD after they played. Didn't get home until 4:00 am. New song just keeps sounding better! Best part was when they lost the bass and the crowd just sang even louder. Mom, Dad, and two teenage boys planned a 3 day trip around this concert and we were not disappointed. Thanks for the great photos.

Supa
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Nice pictures!

_Lost_
07-06-2010, 05:01 PM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010978&id=148900773#!/photo.php?pid=30345260&id=148900773
this one is my favorite.

Spooie
07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I think I was standing right behind you. I was a tall guy with a red Flash shirt on.

Great pictures, man!

cool 2 hate 681
07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
thanks for sharing those are really great pics

leo3375
07-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I was there, but didn't make the effort to get to the rail as it was too rainy for my liking. Also didn't make the effort to meet the guys again. Maybe I'm getting too old, I dunno.

I was a small female with short hair and glasses wearing a black Dropkick Murphys shirt with a Celtic cross on the back.

Anyways, here's the setlist:

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Bad Habit
New song (If anyone knows the title, I will love you forever!)
Come Out and Play (Keep 'em Separated)
Want You Bad
All I Want
Hammerhead
Gone Away (solo piano version)
Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
Gotta Get Away
Guns of Brixton (Clash cover)
Why Don't You Get a Job?
Staring at the Sun
Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)
(Can't Get My) Head Around You
The Kids Aren't Alright
Self Esteem

Llamas
07-07-2010, 01:51 AM

Nope. She did not.

Truth. I'm a little sad that, yet again, I missed my chances to see the Offspring... the show in Milwaukee was mostly because NOBODY wanted to go see them with me, and I really did almost go alone, but ended up feeling really unmotivated... the one in St Paul was actually more the principle of the matter - this festival has always been all about being free. You get to see big names for free, and just buy food and pay for rides. This year, it was suddenly $20 if you went before 4, $30 if you went after 4. I didn't get to MN til 4.30, and I (all my friends had similar sentiments) refused to pay $30 a piece just to go to a small festival for a few hours. $30 is what I'd pay to see Offspring in an actual venue, and I've never been impressed with the stage acoustics at this festival. So I didn't go - and the weather + finding parking really didn't make me want to go more.

It's awesome to see that those who went had an excellent time - Birch, your pics are pretty great! Awesome you got to be so close! I know I made the right choice in not going, but the pics and such do make me a bit jealous ;D

IamSam
07-07-2010, 10:29 AM
When I clicked on the link, all it did was bring me to my facebook home page.
For those of you who can't see the pics on Facebook, I uploaded around a quarter of them onto my webpage so you can view them.
Sample:
http://birchdrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_1056.jpg
http://birchdrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_1080.jpg
http://birchdrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_1100.jpg

The pictures are truly awesome Birch, you definitely have an eye for photography.
Thanks! I was actually at a loss for words with how many turned out!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010978&id=148900773#!/photo.php?pid=30345260&id=148900773
this one is my favorite.
Thanks a ton! I actually can't pick a favorite!

I think I was standing right behind you. I was a tall guy with a red Flash shirt on.
Great pictures, man!

Thanks! And I'm pretty sure I saw you!

A couple of notes:
-The new song does not remind me of the Foo Fighters now that I have heard it live. It sounds like something off of Conspiracy, which is awesome. The crowd was singing with the chorus by the end.
-The crowd when batshit insane during Want You Bad and Pretty Fly.
-When they pulled out the piano for Gone Away a girl beside me said in a whiny voice, "Oh what the fuck is this?" I told her Dexter was going to play Gone Away on the piano. She didn't believe me. Then he started singing. The next thing she said was, and I quote: "Holy fuck he was right! That guy is fucking psychic!"
-The crowd ATE UP Gone Away. They loved it.
-As Dexter was sitting down at the piano I yelled, "Dexter I want to have your babies!" Then a guy a little ways away yelled, "Me too!" It got a laugh from the crowd in the area.
-My shoes are still waterlogged from the rain.

_Lost_
07-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Lol, sounds like you are still glowing from the experience!

Blitz!
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
-When they pulled out the piano for Gone Away a girl beside me said in a whiny voice, "Oh what the fuck is this?" I told her Dexter was going to play Gone Away on the piano. She didn't believe me. Then he started singing. The next thing she said was, and I quote: "Holy fuck he was right! That guy is fucking psychic!"

This is great
... but I would say you are 'well connected' ;)