PDA

View Full Version : Taste of MN: Met and HUNG OUT with the band after the show!

Dirty Magic
07-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I just got back from the Taste of Minnesota and immediately had to post this. The show was awesome! The P.A. cut out a few times but I was front and center and didn't even notice. Here's the setlist in no particular order since I don't remember the order due to what I got to be a part of after the show, but more on that later:

YGGFK
Bad Habit
Come Out and Play
Gotta Get Away
Staring at The Sun
Why Don't You Get a Job
TKAA
Self Esteem
CGMHAY
Hammerhead
Kristy
Gone Away (with the piano)
All I Want
Pretty Fly
Want You Bad
The new song (You Will Find a Way I think is the name)
A cover by The Clash that I don't remember the name of

In regards to the new song, I think it may not be a bad idea to actually see it performed live before you make any comparison to Times Like These. The videos on youtube don't really do it justice. Overall I was pretty happy about the overall length of the setlist despite the fact that 311 was headlining.

Here's where things get real awesome, real fast. The guy who books and more or less manages my band works with someone who is friend's with Pepper's tour manager/booking agent. They were both at the show, and while I was front and center during The Offspring's set, I got a text from my friend asking if I was at the show. I said yes, he says he saw from backstage. After the show, we meet up, walked around, get some food, run into other people we know and so forth. After that, we meet up with his friend (the one who knows Pepper's booking agent), and we all go backstage and hang out with everyone, who were grilling, drinking beer, etc.

After we hung out with the guys and crew from Pepper, I see Dexter and a few others walking towards where we were. I had just bought my shirt not even 30 minutes ago, so as they walked in, I walked up to him, said hi, shook his hand, and then we just talked for a few minutes. I had to make sure I wasn't the typical "fan who gets to meet the band," but I was at a loss for words for what to even say. I started by saying how I enjoyed the show, that it was my 4th time seeing them, being a fan since Conspiracy of One, and so forth. Then I asked him a few things about the upcoming album, the re-recording of Dirty Magic that they did a few summers ago, and as many other things I could think of that get discussed on this forum. On the Dirty Magic re-recording, I asked if it would ever be released, and his response was, "Maybe." In regards to the new album, they have about half of it done. Originally their plan was to release at by the end of this year, but now they're going to be finishing it by the end of this year, and hopefully releasing it sometime in the winter/early spring. Also, Dexter is one of the most laid back, relaxed, and overall genuinely awesome individuals that I've met in quite a long time. Definitely no rockstar attitude whatsoever.

After I talked with Dexter briefly, I talked with a few others around. Someone was grilling, and I got to to meet some other people that just walked over to the area we were at. Noodles showed up shortly after, talked with him for a while. Noodles is all around hilarious. He had a ton of great stories and I talked to him mostly about guitars and gear and whatnot. I also asked him if they've ever thrown around the idea of playing I Choose ever again. He said he would pick that song over a few of the other songs off Ixnay, so hopefully they'll do it again.

Overall, the whole night was perfect. I ended up going to the show by myself because my friend who was supposed to go ended up bailing on me last minute, but being able to meet the band and hang out with them after their set COMPLETELY made up for that. This was definitely one incredible experience, because I know I won't get this opportunity again. Here's some pictures that I took from my phone.

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/SweetCornJebus/IMG00086-20100705-2147-1.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/SweetCornJebus/IMG00085-20100705-2114-2.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/SweetCornJebus/IMG00084-20100705-1858-1.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad323/SweetCornJebus/IMG00082-20100705-1838-1.jpg

Little_Miss_1565
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a great evening! Thanks for telling us about it. I'd love to see those photos though -- doesn't look like they're working.

Dirty Magic
07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Interesting... I'm able to see them. I edited the post a few times and downsized the images a bit so maybe they aren't showing up quite yet for anyone else? That was the first time I've ever uploaded any pictures on this forum.

SuperKnux
07-06-2010, 12:56 AM
Fantastic!! It sounds like you had a blast.

Also I want to just say THANKS a bunch for actually bring up the re-recording of Dirty Magic and what not. (I would have also tried bring up Pass Me By, but when you're in the moment you just completely blank out. Haha)

Regardless, I'm glad you had a great time sir!

jacknife737
07-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Hey, that's a great freaking story! Very cool to hear that Noodles is up for playing I Choose!

As for your pictures, you could try uploading them via photobucket or imageshack?

Tijs
07-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Awesome, lucky guy! So what interesting stories did Noodles talk about? ;p

Very cool to hear that Noodles is up for playing I Choose!And this, this is the best thing of the whole story.

Lord_Gabo
07-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm so happy for you! thanks for all the good news!

randman21
07-06-2010, 05:06 AM
And now they have half.

Whoohoo! Good job Dirty Magic. Thanks for thinking of us in your time of awesomeness.

Ajota
07-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Congratulations, Dirty Magic :)

Did you realize the dream of every fan!
:D

Free?
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Cool story, thanks for sharing. Would be great if you'd upload the pics to somewhere else than your gmail profile(?) so the rest of the world could see them too. ;)

Dirty Magic
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
I just made a photobucket account and uploaded the pics there. They should be visible now. I also forgot to add in that they also played CGMHAY too. Noodles mentioned that a while back they COMPLETELY trashed a hotel room and got kicked out. He even said that he poured beer all over a security guard when it happened hahahaha.

Free?
07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Great, I can see them now, cheers! You shiiiiiine dude!

Hey, one hundred punks, don't look so disappointed about Dirty Magic not being a hot chick with huge boobs! :(

Supa
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh, I'm SO jealous...after the show I waited till almost one o' clock to see if I could even see a band member behind the gates...only one tour bus came out. Ugh.

_Lost_
07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
dammmmnnn what a lucky dude you are! Next time I hear the Offspring are coming around here, I'll make sure to get some serious networking underway. Its all about who you know! Crikey!

IamSam
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Dude. I was literally standing about a yard from you to your right.

Greekoldfan
07-06-2010, 11:05 AM
that was an absolutely fantastic night! great quastions by the way..welldone dude

IamSam
07-06-2010, 11:29 AM
And not to steal your thread bro, but here are the pics I got when I was almost right next to you.See Thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42114)

DMelges
07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
And not to steal your thread bro, but here are the pics I got when I was almost right next to you.See Thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42114)

My god, those are some of the best pictures I've ever seen. Especially the Skull on the drumset. :eek:

BigFish
07-06-2010, 12:09 PM
That's pretty awesome, but one thing I was hoping you would've asked is what the actual name of the new song is. Either way I completely envy you so much.

dexterone
07-06-2010, 12:25 PM
It's All Good

GuilhermeOffspring
07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Good news! Well done...

tayluhhx3
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
You are so friggin' lucky Dirty Magic.
I envy you greatly! (:

cool 2 hate 681
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
cool story i really hope we get to hear that re recording of dirty magic one day

hshduppsnt
07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
awesome dude, sounds like you had a great time (and nice pictures!) and I think most people who have met them will agree with you the guys in the band are some of the most laid back and nice people, it is really refreshing and pretty awesome, even when you are sometimes at a loss for words talking to them

KHWHD
07-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Great pics.!! Glad you had a great time and got to meet them. Thanks for the news about DM too! :cool:

Offspring-Junkie
07-07-2010, 05:09 AM
I want to see them backstage too. Awesome.

Rutegard
07-07-2010, 05:50 AM
awesome night!! :D :D lucky guy

Meela Doll
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Man, I so admire you

Krojd
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
So there is a new version od Dirty Magic after all?! Oh sh*t, why guys, why?! :(

Supa
07-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Yeah, there's also a Spanish version of Hey Joe and a cover of Ring Of Fire, and a song called "Give It Up" from the Splinter sessions...but this could've been a working title of an already exisitng song. And of course, Pass Me By. ;)