PDA

View Full Version : lacking crowd participation

bouncingcoles
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
These days i feel the offspring really lack crowd participation. I feel as though they just go up on stage, play the hits, say a joke or two and play selfesteem. i enjoyed them all 7 times iv seen them but i feel they could put a lot more into the live show. check out this video and watch it from the half way point. im not asking offspring to have trash thrown at them again, but just to be a bit more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAafajq4fwc

and all you ass kissers that are going to say shit about this thread really need to be realistic and not just kiss ass to anything offspring do. hell even if offspring recorded themselves taking shits people on this website would be talking about how great it is. i dont even know why i go on these threads anymore.

Little_Miss_1565
07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow, defensive much?

I would like to see the band engage the audience more, but all my dealings with them lead me to believe they generally don't do things (or not do them) without a reason.

randman21
07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
The problem with people of your ilk is that you think you are "Objectivus: Bringer of all Truth and Knowledge" and everyone who disagrees with you is an ass-kisser (no middle ground at all), when in fact, you keep saying the same thing over and over again until people who are sick of it oppose you because it gets whiny after a while. Do you have any idea how many times this topic has been brought up? Tons. Of course we'd all like to see them put on a more involved stage show. Who wouldn't?

RyanSabotage
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
people are too worried about twitter and there camera phones these days, nobody is fun anymore. next tour they sould go on is with a punk band and let nobody into the venue with phones or cameras, so people actually look at the band for once and not text.

jacknife737
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Personally, i hate it when band's engage in generic crowd banter.

Last time i saw Against Me! or the Weakerthans: they barely said a word to the audience, instead they let the music do the talking: and the crowd loved it.

Now, fair enough if you're not down with that: but during their last headlining tour, i felt there was a significant bit of interaction: i mean i doubt if the band didn't care about their live show, they wouldn't have done that sort of sketch every concert where Dexter pretended to be mad when playing the piano, walks off stage, then comes back, ect.

The current tour is a little different: where a good portion of the audience are 311 fans, so i suppose they feel more comfortable when it's "their audience"

dav0147
07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
cheers never seen that performance of self esteem before!

hmmm i do wish they had a bit more crowd interaction, to me dexter seems not to have the confidence and arrogance he once had, he used to move around the stage with such confidence. They are still great live, probably just changed with age, hard to maintain that level of energy.

joshgenis
07-22-2010, 01:26 PM
and all you ass kissers that are going to say shit about this thread really need to be realistic and not just kiss ass to anything offspring do. hell even if offspring recorded themselves taking shits people on this website would be talking about how great it is. i dont even know why i go on these threads anymore.

i understand completely what u mean. look at this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzvUtICNugM my username is tylergenis and i made one a comment to criticize dexter and i get shit for it. people got to understand that they arent gods ffs

mat.kc.
07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
We go to the concert to hear the music. Minimal jokes/discussion is acceptable. The more discussion, the less songs we hear. They pay the venue for a specific amount of time, and over the years, they've developed tons of hits that everyone wants to hear...more songs, less chatter. I'd rather see a 20+ setlist with a five to ten minute break of talking rather than a 15 song setlist and a half hour worth of crowd connection. Let the music do the talking.

Little_Miss_1565
07-22-2010, 02:23 PM
i understand completely what u mean. look at this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzvUtICNugM my username is tylergenis and i made one a comment to criticize dexter and i get shit for it. people got to understand that they arent gods ffs

So wait. You make a shitty comment about Dexter getting hit with a bottle because his vocals went a bit awry, and you got shit for it because people love kissing Dexter's ass, not because that was a mean, shitty thing to say? Oh, of course, why didn't I see the light before? :rolleyes:

Moral: Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Krojd
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
people are too worried about twitter and there camera phones these days, nobody is fun anymore. next tour they sould go on is with a punk band and let nobody into the venue with phones or cameras, so people actually look at the band for once and not text.

I couldn't agree more.

Edit: I havent seen that Self Esteem video before and it is fucking great.

BigFish
07-22-2010, 04:55 PM

For the record, I'm the one who made that comment toward you, and it was 100% deserved. His voice was just fine, and even if it was faltering a little bit, you have no idea the amount of effort he puts into singing like that every night. That's not me kissing The Offspring's ass. That's me sticking up for someone who I believe is doing their best and getting criticized for it by someone who is clearly uneducated.

Isti
07-22-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAafajq4fwc

I have this concert in mp3 but i haven't seen this video yet!!! Cool, thanx for it!

nameless
07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
id rather they just played, if they want to have some banter with the crowd then thats up to them. i can think if a few other bands that really frustrate people with their trademark gimmicks and banter during shows!

Camilamazed
07-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Exactly. The "cool thing" of concerts today is to see who is the first one to post on their facebook/twitter/whatever updates from what is going on. I miss the days when the audience could just enjoy the show.

Personally, i hate it when band's engage in generic crowd banter.

id rather they just played, if they want to have some banter with the crowd then thats up to them.

Have you ever seen the band during older tours?

They used to put out a hell of performance with more songs and lots more fun. That's what they were known for and that's what differed them from other "punk" bands... The intermission or the Backstreet boys acts were amazing. The past tours have been a little bit disappointing because those who have seen those performances just cannot believe they won't do things like that anymore.