PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring/Bad Religion cut from Crazy Taxi

Supa
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
If you didn't already know, SEGA is releasing Crazy Taxi again for digital download via Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. But sadly, the licensed items (music, Pizza Hut, Tower Records, FIFA) are all gone. Why? Clumsyorchid, SEGA Of America's community manager, explains:

KFC, The Gap, and BK are brands and brands have lawyers and contracts and people whose whole job is to keep other people from using their brands without some sort of compensation. I'm actually not sure that Offspring would want to be in the game, same for the KFC and such, but it would probably require a new contract, a new cost, and probably kill any chance of seeing Crazy Taxi come back at all. Saying it's a free advertising option is not realistic and a bit misleading, because it's really not that simple.

I'm 100% sure that every license was looked into before anything was changed and I'm 100% sure that they were changed for 100% valid reasons. Yea, I do get what you want and I get you are trying to rationalize it as best as you can, however it's never as simple or as cost effective as simply doing one thing - everything has a process.

I strongly feel that custom soundtracks resolve the music 'problem' and actually enhance the play experience. I also feel that the destinations in the game are added flavor and CT is not a lesser game with or without them. Not a perfect recreation, no, but given the option to have it come back or not have it come back at all - I'll gladly have it return with some changes. If you feel strongly about this, then you can play the Dreamcast version skipping the new releases entirely, because it will, without a doubt, always be exactly the way you remember it and remain intact.

SåS
07-23-2010, 08:08 PM
That fair bullshit, I mean I know those money-grubbing pricks down KFC would be all against it (there chicken is fair pro though), and so would all those other Businesses.

But its pretty much free advertisement, Offspring would be into that. I don't know, I don't play XBOX or anything, so its no skin of my teeth.

I'll stick to SEGA.

Little_Miss_1565
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
That fair bullshit, I mean I know those money-grubbing pricks down KFC would be all against it (there chicken is fair pro though), and so would all those other Businesses.

But its pretty much free advertisement, Offspring would be into that. I don't know, I don't play XBOX or anything, so its no skin of my teeth.

I'll stick to SEGA.

License agreements have an expiration date -- 5 years is pretty standard for video games. After that, you have to renegotiate the license to renew. If the terms aren't mutually agreeable anymore, then you have to walk away from it.

Can you honestly say that Crazy Taxi is bigger than the Offspring? If it's not bigger, how would the band benefit from 'free advertising'?

randman21
07-24-2010, 04:07 AM
While I do agree with you overall, I must say that several people I know have gotten into Offspring through Crazy Taxi, including me. And they were even huge at that time.

Still, I can't be mad at anyone here. It's all business. Heh, I won't be playing it anyway. One of first things I liked about the game, though, was that they had Pizza Hut and KFC in it. I was like "how'd they do that?!" I think I thought it was illegal.

_Way_Down_the_Line_
07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
While I do agree with you overall, I must say that several people I know have gotten into Offspring through Crazy Taxi, including me. And they were even huge at that time.

Still, I can't be mad at anyone here. It's all business. Heh, I won't be playing it anyway. One of first things I liked about the game, though, was that they had Pizza Hut and KFC in it. I was like "how'd they do that?!" I think I thought it was illegal.

Same as randman, I got seduced into offspring cause of this game, I was only 10 when I started playing this :D, I really don't care about de KFC's & Pizza hut, I hope offspring get's to have some songs in the video game, so kids with 10 years right now, like i did, buy the game and gets to know the offspring XDDD lol

Little_Miss_1565
07-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I totally get that, but the band isn't the same as it was 10 years ago now. it's a bummer that something that got a lot of people into the band in the first place isn't there anymore. But you're right, Randy, these things are all business. And business is boring.

ThunderPX
07-24-2010, 02:44 PM
They should just make a custom soundtrack option like a lot of Xbox games have. Problem solved.

cool 2 hate 681
07-24-2010, 03:48 PM
i won't be buying it without offspring and bad religion

i did buy the one that came out on the psp a few years ago and it was good i think it was called fare wars