PDA

View Full Version : Best album of the year so far?

Pages : [1] 2

Hey Man Where's Everybody
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
For me, the Joanna Newsom and Broken Social Scene albums were amazing. They've been getting a lot of spins in this house.

The Titus Andronicus record "The Monitor" is also incredibly awesome and I'd imagine punk-rock enough to be on most of your radars. Here's their video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fqHr_KGPY It's really good.

What has been blowing your mind for the last 8 months?

jacknife737
08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Top five for me right now:

The Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits
Off With Their Heads - In Desolation
Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
Flatliners - Cavalcade
Against Me! - White Crosses

Titus Andronicus has been recommended to me by a couple buddies, and i really dug that song you posted, i'll have to check them out: they've got a sort of Nothington meets Loved Ones vibe about them.

nieh
08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I actually really liked the recent Broken Social Scene album, despite the few songs I heard by them over the years mostly leaving me cold. The new Devo was thoroughly enjoyable. The Janelle Monae album was pretty solid. I feel like I'm forgetting some others that came out this year. The Gorillaz album was a bit of a let down, and the Big Boi, while mostly decent, isn't as good as the better stuff by Outkast. I'm looking forward to the Nevermen album and the upcoming Grinderman album. Kind of the new Swans as well since I got way more into the Melvins lately which prompted me to give them another go, and I like them more now than I did on passing listen like 5-6 years ago. I was supposed to have gotten the box set for Alan Moore's multimedia project, Unearthing, sometime last month but shipping was delayed due to vinyl printing issues. I get the feeling that's either going to be amazing or boring background music.

Superdope
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
Eels - End Times
Fatso Jetson - Archaic Volumes
The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
How to Destroy Angels - How to Destroy Angels
Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits

In no particular order... oh wait, hah, it's chronological!

nieh
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I was curious about the new Deftones. I've only ever heard White Pony and a few stray tracks from their other albums, but the fact that they did a pretty decent Drive Like Jehu cover as a b-side for the new one got my interest piqued.

Retard
08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Contra by Vampire Weekend is still getting spins constantly.
Alkaline Trio's new one is pretty awesome (This Addiction)
Beach House's "teen Dream" is great to listen to at night while you're walking home drunk and/or high from a friends house.
I like Big Boi's album
BEST COAST!!! fucking christ that thing is awesome. fuzzy as shit happy pop music making me almost wish i lived in cali... ALMOST
"Rohern Park" by Ceremony... MY GOD THAT THING IS INTENSE!
Diamond Eyes by Deftones is fucking bomb in my opinion if you liked White Pony you'd dig Diamond Eyes.
Havent picked it up yet but the Danger MOuse and Sparklehorse album is pretty chill.
Calvacade by the Flatliners is a great granted i figured everyone knew that
oh and "They Came From the Shadows" by Teenage Bottlerocket is fucking sick.
shit totally forgot about Volume 2 by She and Him. I wanna murder the dude from death cab so i can marry Zoey. she is a goddess.

MAXTER
08-02-2010, 02:56 AM
The Best Album of 2010 until today is "LOVE" by Angels & Airwaves (Tom DeLonge, Atom Willard, David Kennedy, Matt Wrechter)
Download for free from their site: http://modlife.com/angelsandairwaves/love

Alison
08-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I haven't got any new stuff at all in the last few months, so I really don't know. But for me it's been Kate Nash's My Best Friend is You

cool 2 hate 681
08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Alkaline Trio's new one is pretty awesome (This Addiction)

that gets my vote as best of the year so far

Outerspaceman21
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been keeping up with this years recent albums. Only album I've heard this year is the new Coheed and Cambria. I am looking forward to several album late this year, early next year. I want to get White Crosses, that looks like a good album.

coke_a_holic
08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Okay, so I have not listened to nearly as many albums as I've wanted to this year. I've got these ones that I've heard so far that I really liked.

Joie De Vivre's The North End is just a complete throwback to the 90's. They sound like The Promise Ring or Braid or any of those old indie-emo bands. So good.

Oh man, and M.I.A.'s new album, MAYA, is fucking weird. I was a fan of the fucking drill noises and shit, it's borderline-industrial?

Menomena's Mines is something everyone should check out, because it takes music and just flips it over and does whatever it pleases with it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8aQVbvTsc)

The National's new album, High Violet, kind of takes the sparseness off Boxer and adds in noisiness. So clutch. This albums is badass.

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks is another one that you guys definitely should check out. Ted Leo makes me swoon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSiDyYT7aIk)

Also, for pop-punk done right, The Wonder Years are the only band you'll ever need. Take Blink-182 style music with anti-frat-bro lyrics and just awesome mini-HXC breakdowns whenever they feel like. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3QNvC-QLI&feature=related)

And agreed on Titus Andronicus - The Monitor. So good.

0r4ng3
08-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I really like that Wonder Years song. I don't know how I haven't heard of those guys before; they're pretty great.

Anyway, I'd say my favorite this year so far is Crime In Stereo's newest, I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone. It's probably the best they've ever done so far. Alkaline Trio is a close second, but I'd have to give it another listen to be sure.

IamSam
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks is another one that you guys definitely should check out. Ted Leo makes me swoon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSiDyYT7aIk)

Also, for pop-punk done right, The Wonder Years are the only band you'll ever need. Take Blink-182 style music with anti-frat-bro lyrics and just awesome mini-HXC breakdowns whenever they feel like. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3QNvC-QLI&feature=related)

Ted Leo makes me swoon as well.

Thanks for mentioning The Wonder Years! I have never listened to them until now and I have to say that I like them!

Superdope
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for mentioning The Wonder Years! I have never listened to them until now and I have to say that I like them!

I second this. They pretty much rock.

Llamas
08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I dig that Wonder Years song, even though I'm not really into pop punk anymore. The song is super catchy.

65daysofstatic released a really excellent album this year, "We Were Exploding Anyway". Best industrial post-rock group I've heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ag_O1j7jns

Also have been seriously digging the new Balkan Beatbox, "Blue Eyed Black Boy". I think it's their best effort, and I seem to be looping this song whenever I'm in the mood for some laid back reggae-ish dancable stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7iUQC5SzjU&feature=related

I really dig the Barenaked Ladies' new album. It took a while to grow on me, because with one of the singers and primary song writers gone, their sound is wayyyy different. This is the lead single off the album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiS7oZCIuN8

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Hanson fan... their new album is one of their best. Great album that just makes you wanna shake it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmG0DqhfDbY

Alkaline Trio's "This Addiction" was a huge disappointment. I liked it even less than Agony and Irony. :( So was Against Me's "White Crosses".

Really been meaning to check out the new Arcade Fire and Nada Surf.

HIGHLY anticipating the new Iron Maiden.

Also, speaking of pop punk, the teenager in me is looking forward to the new American Hi-Fi album. :P

Goo Goo Dolls have a new one on the way, but their last effort was so disappointing that I'm not expecting much at all.

Rooster
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM
HIGHLY anticipating the new Iron Maiden.

Oh yes. I'm gonna try to get that limited "mission edition" version of the album, that comes in a tin case. It's not that much more expensive than the regular album version.

I can't wait till the 16th. It's always like this for me whenever there's a new Maiden coming up. And now it's even harder to resist the temptation, because i found 30 second samplers of each song. I didn't listen for more than 5 seconds of the first song, i don't want to ruin the surprise. But those 5 seconds sound really promising and fresh, and i'm starting to believe they actually did something different this time, which is great news.

If it's better than AMOLAD (and i loved that one), my head will explode.

nieh
08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
the new Arcade Fire

Not a fan of the band, but I feel the need to point out that I've heard nothing but bad things, even from people that normally love them.

Llamas
08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
squiling woman on harp
What is "squiling", and who are you talking about? I've never seen anyone posting any harpists... I wish I had, cause I looooove harp!

The problem is that they don't have vocals, that's cheating.
Pfft, I consider having vocals cheating! It's much hard to write good, catchy music that people will enjoy and remember without having lyrics! Lyrics mean that your music itself doesn't have be as good. :P

If it's better than AMOLAD (and i loved that one), my head will explode.
Agreed. I don't understand all the hate for that album. It's. So. Good.

Not a fan of the band, but I feel the need to point out that I've heard nothing but bad things, even from people that normally love them.
Sad... I'm not a huge fan, but they're a generally good group. Maybe I won't bother unless I hear something good about it.

cool 2 hate 681
08-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Alkaline Trio's "This Addiction" was a huge disappointment. I liked it even less than Agony and Irony. :( So was Against Me's "White Crosses"

i remember you saying that you liked this addiction what happened?

Llamas
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
i remember you saying that you liked this addiction what happened?

I was excited about a new ak3 album... It started strong, but in the end it wasn't at all memorable for me. After a couple weeks, I just no longer had a desire to listen to it. :(

Krojd
08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
The Killigans - Honor
The Flatliners - Cavalcade
Flatfoot 56 - Black Thorn

jacknife737
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
This Addiction could slowly creep its way into my top five: i've been spinning it a lot lately: it was a nice change of pace after Irony and Agony.

Retard
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I think its a huge improvement over Agony and Irony. But that's just my opinion. I totally forgot to mention the new Roots albums.

goddamn them they make some incredible music.

Rooster
08-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Agreed. I don't understand all the hate for that album. It's. So. Good.

I think i know what may have caused the hate. That album sonsists of slower or mid-tempo epic songs, and not enough faster-paced rockers. Or perhaps it doesn't have a new Trooper. Or something like that.

I couldn't be happier with the direction they're taking. Their post 2000 material is awesome. Not to mention how good they are at making epic songs.

Ninty Man
08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
For which I bought and liked:

Drowning Pool-self titled- Is a really good album, I didn't heard of these band till now

Gorillaz- Plastic Beach- A MASTERPIECE

Jimi Hendrix- Valleys of Neptune- Why did he died... Why...? I mean, piece of shit like Cobain went to fame with no talent and this GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD died... Such a shame

Llamas
08-07-2010, 04:05 PM
It's the new word. Joanna Newsom. Check her myspace, I guess. She also sings like a child, literally. Quite insane.
I'll check her out.

Well, this is kinda complicated. I think it's uselessly handicapped. It's more precious for me to find bands that work perfectly with all of basic parameters. I can accept that someone's gonna switch guitar with electronica, but erasing vocals completely...it's for minority and special use or whatever.

Wow... so I take it you don't listen to jazz or classical music? I definitely wouldn't call any of that handicapped... I actually think that having lyrics/vocals is kind of a crutch. I love a lot of music that has lyrics, but I actually tend to find music that doesn't (or has very limited vocals) to be much more passionate and meaningful. But I'm also a music snob and an instrumentalist.

jacknife737
08-07-2010, 05:03 PM

I dig: reminds me of Newfound Glory, but with a less whiny singer, and better lyrics. Cheers for mentioning these guys.

You've also reminded me to check out the new Ted Leo: need to do that soon.

Llamas
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Not much but that's different. 65daysofstatic looks like a band that should have vocals. They are not as precious as jazz or classical music. Aren't there many more instruments in jazz or classical music? How many jazz bands don't have vocals?

They are cheating in that that they can concentrate on just 3 intruments but they are handicapped compared to 4 basic instruments.

So, the solution is to add either vocals or some intruments with much more intricate song structures.

This band has four members: guitar, bass, drums, and programming/electronic stuff. That's four instruments :-P

So the more instruments a band has, the better they are? Hmm, I fully disagree, but I'm also huge on minimalism. If you can make music yourself - Imogen Heap and Regina Spektor, for example - that's extremely amazing to me.

Oh and 65daysofstatic has more intricate song structures than 80% of music with vocals... I mean, I don't care if people don't like their music or whatever, but it's certainly not cheating to not have vocals. If more instruments = more talent, I'd ONLY listen to classical :-P

Oh and last note - I don't actually like any jazz that has vocals. And I like a LOT of jazz. :)

coke_a_holic
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Yo, people who like 65daysofstatic, check out this band: They're called Giants and they are the only post-rock band I've ever heard that I actually like. And I like them a fucking lot.

Giants - Where The Ages Steal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTDiS5kuyk
EDIT: Oh, and if you get, like, bored or something crazy like that, skip to 2:45 to hear why this song is so fucking epic.

Llamas
08-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I dig it. Much more mellow and smoothe than 65dos... though the part at 2:45 definitely sounded pretty similar to them. I guess it's the guitar part. Upon first listen, the beginning was definitely rather boring, but this is the kind of music that requires more than one listen. Gonna check them out some more. Thanks for the recommendation :)

What don't you like about 65dos?

nieh
08-07-2010, 08:53 PM
llamas: that's basically the standard guitar sound for like 90% of all post-rock, nothing specific to 65daysofstatic.
Mike, do you know Red Sparowes? They're an all-instrumental side-project by one of the guys from Isis (and, at various times, a second guy from Isis, a member from Made out of Babies, a member of Neurosis, and a bunch of other folks have played with them). Isis are the better band, but I've never liked Aaron Turner's vocals, and Red Sparowes are kinda the closest thing to Isis without the vocals out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2omwi0VEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJU6QAQUZ8M

coke_a_holic
08-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Llamas: the only thing I don't like about 65dos is that, from the music I've heard from them, it always sounds as if their music almost sounds like it's missing some key element.

Their music feels like it could really benefit from someone singing or playing some sort of lead role in the song to help produce a definable melody to complement their exciting rhythms and interesting music.

Which is why I'm such a big fan of Giants: every song has a melody and it supersedes the need for a vocalist.

Josh: Oh man, I do like me some Isis. I will definitely steal some of that.

Llamas
08-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Llamas: the only thing I don't like about 65dos is that, from the music I've heard from them, it always sounds as if their music almost sounds like it's missing some key element.

Their music feels like it could really benefit from someone singing or playing some sort of lead role in the song to help produce a definable melody to complement their exciting rhythms and interesting music.

Which is why I'm such a big fan of Giants: every song has a melody and it supersedes the need for a vocalist.

I totally get that. I mean, their music really doesn't generally have a melody (though it fully depends on how you view melody and which songs of theirs you listen to), and if melody is necessary to you, they're not a great choice. Giants definitely focuses more on melody, at least in the three songs I listened to. For me personally, I've always been more interested in what happens underneath the melody, and sometimes I just think that melody gets in the way of what I find to be more interesting. So 65dos works for me. :) But I did like in the Giants songs that the melody was pretty mellow and didn't overwhelm the rest of the music, so I'm pretty sure I could dig them. I'm definitely gonna see if I can find some torrents... if not, I might be back to ask for some uploads.

If you want a 65dos song that has more of a melody, check out Weak4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reBw58iIm8

Their newer album really definitely works a bit more with the idea of having melodies.

original_prankster
08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Ceremony - Rohnert Park.

Retard
08-09-2010, 09:24 PM
If i hadn't already said it(i honestly forget) i second Rohnert Park, Ceremony really stepped up their game with that one.

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/jukebox2.php?song_id=9288
This is the bside to the new Fucked Up single..... A-side is there also to stream just click on the cover. Will definitly be in my top ten for the year no doubt. I really wish theyd let you download the live video version of Year Of the Ox though.... thing gave me chills the first time i saw it.

metalmania
08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
world painted blood-SlAyeR

Retard
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
That came out last year dude....

but it was still pretty awesome

Rooster
08-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Iron Maiden: The Final Frontier. A really, really strong contender.

jacknife737
08-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I'd also give a shout out to the Dopamines for their new one, Expect The Worst. It's a pretty good mix of newish stuff like Hot Water Music and 90s Lookout-era pop-punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33N7LHtiyQY

Llamas
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Just grabbed Eminem's new album, Recovery, and I'm very impressed. I thought that "Encore" was horrible... didn't even bother checking out "Relapse" because I heard it was just as bad as Encore. But I heard the new single with Rihanna, "Love the way you Lie"... and it was so good, so I grabbed the album. So far I really dig it! It reminds me of the Eminem that was on The Eminem Show and The Marshall Mathers LP (his best albums, IMO).

Retard
08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
It's not out yet. and i havent heard a thing from it. But I'm looking forward to the new Queers album

Outerspaceman21
08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Nothing so far. I'm holding out for the new Social D and Bad Religion and, if they finish this year, the new Offspring and A Wilhelm Scream.

Also, Comeback Kid is about to release a new album. I'll give that a listen.

Retard
08-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Sundowner, We Chaise the Waves.....

Outerspaceman21
08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I actually heard some of the new Gorillaz and I like what I've heard. Thats the closest I've gotten. I also liked the New Coheed and Cambria.

Retard
08-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Plastic Beach is great. I still need to buy the actual physical copy.

AP guy
08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare
Bullet for my Valentine - Fever
Eminem - Recovery
Sevendust - Cold day memories

Retard
08-16-2010, 12:40 AM
That new DEVO album is pretty awesome.... wish i remembered the name of it.

CAMEO CAMEO!

Smash_Returns
08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden

Another classic.

Llamas
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I just realized that it's been 8 months, and I only have 10 albums that have been released this year. I don't know if it's been a slow year in terms of good new music, or if my being out of the country has kind of cut me off. I really only have Against Me, Hanson, Barenaked Ladies, Eminem, Iron Maiden, Balkan Beatbox, 65daysofstatic, Kate Nash, Amy Macdonald, and Alkaline Trio. I think I've been cut off and don't know about a lot of releases... and maybe I think I've stopped caring as much as I used to... makes me kinda sad.

Outerspaceman21
08-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I just realized that it's been 8 months, and I only have 10 albums that have been released this year. I don't know if it's been a slow year in terms of good new music, or if my being out of the country has kind of cut me off. I really only have Against Me, Hanson, Barenaked Ladies, Eminem, Iron Maiden, Balkan Beatbox, 65daysofstatic, Kate Nash, Amy Macdonald, and Alkaline Trio. I think I've been cut off and don't know about a lot of releases... and maybe I think I've stopped caring as much as I used to... makes me kinda sad.

I don't think it's so much you've been cut off as nothing really good has come down the pike. Honestly, I have high hopes for the rest of the year because a lot of good artist are in the studio right now recording.

I don't think you should take the lack of new releases from your favorite artist as a sign that you are not noticing anything new.

Also, Hanson is still going at it? How are they doing? I haven't heard any of there stuff since I was a kid.

jacknife737
08-17-2010, 06:33 PM

I guess it depends on what you normally listen to. For me, this year has been fairly busy, as far as new music is concerned. What i would suggest is try and find an internet news source/blog that caters to the styles that you normally listen to, and then start checking out the bands/artists that they cover news from.

Llamas
08-17-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't think it's so much you've been cut off as nothing really good has come down the pike. Honestly, I have high hopes for the rest of the year because a lot of good artist are in the studio right now recording.

I don't think you should take the lack of new releases from your favorite artist as a sign that you are not noticing anything new.
Yeah, that's true. There are some great albums due out before the year is done. Maybe it'll get better :)

Also, Hanson is still going at it? How are they doing? I haven't heard any of there stuff since I was a kid.
Ohhh yes. They're fantastic. This is their newest single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPt0fFtWG6A

This is my favorite of the new album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCuI9oknHM

I guess it depends on what you normally listen to. For me, this year has been fairly busy, as far as new music is concerned. What i would suggest is try and find an internet news source/blog that caters to the styles that you normally listen to, and then start checking out the bands/artists that they cover news from.

I'm sort of all over the board in terms of style... did you see the list of albums I've gotten this year? :-p I think I'm cut off from indie music... I think that's the problem. I miss the indie station in Minnesota... :(

Retard
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
For me it has been a very busy year.... bunch of reissues(ok thats technically not new but watever) lotsa albums that i've loved that i bought the day of. a few that i was fucking pissed that i hadnt had the money for right off the bat... and then the shit that i keep hearing about that i fucking really get pissed off about that i dont have enough money yet to grab.

coke_a_holic
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I rolled all of the albums that came out this year that I have on my hard drive into one blog and will be giving them one-sentence-reviews them over the next 4 months, I guess.

This is where the things reside:
http://okayfinefairenough.tumblr.com/post/896079735/living-document-albums-of-2010-and-mini-reviews

Outerspaceman21
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Ohhh yes. They're fantastic. This is their newest single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPt0fFtWG6A

This is my favorite of the new album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pCuI9oknHM

Thats some pretty solid stuff. I'm glad they are still going at it. They are really talented.

Retard
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
So in no particular order I've tried to think of ten albums so far that have very big chances of being in my top ten.

How I got Over by The Roots
We Chase the Waves by Sundowner
American Slang by Gaslight Anthem(definitily going to be in the top ten, alot more focused and better written than 59 sound imo)
Contra by Vampire Weekend
Crazy For You by Best Coast
Rohnert Park by Ceremony
I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone by Crime in Stereo
Ghosts On the Boardwalk by The Bouncing Souls
Vol. 2 by She & Him
Eyes and Nines by Trash Talk

Llamas
08-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Okay this year just got a shit-load better. My favorite band, Wir Sind Helden, just released their new album. I'm sure nobody here cares because I think I'm the only person here who likes them (besides maybe Free?). But they have four albums now, and this is the only one I've actually fallen in love with IMMEDIATELY. Their other albums had to grow on me, and the last album took like a year for me to get into completely. The lead single, "Alles", is actually by far the weakest song on the album, so I was a little worried when I heard it... it's pretty generic and "meh"... but the rest of the album is so good. For anyone who actually likes WSH, Alles (http://www.stern.de/kultur/musik/videopremiere-wir-sind-helden-auf-allen-vieren-1590264.html). And one of the better songs, Was uns beiden gehört (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmAwvWs5NMQ). Can't stop listening! This and Eminem's album, Recovery, are definitely my current contenders for best albums of the year. Hanson, Barenaked Ladies, Iron Maiden, and 65dos are super good, but none of them compare to WSH or Eminem.

Rooster
08-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Hanson, Barenaked Ladies, Iron Maiden, and 65dos are super good, but none of them compare to WSH or Eminem.

Ha! I guess it depends on what style of music you like more, because you can't really compare Iron Maiden with Eminem. I did check out Recovery, but it's not my style. I do like a couple of songs from it quite a lot though. So far, Maiden wins the title for me.

Llamas
08-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Ha! I guess it depends on what style of music you like more, because you can't really compare Iron Maiden with Eminem. I did check out Recovery, but it's not my style. I do like a couple of songs from it quite a lot though. So far, Maiden wins the title for me.

Obviously what kind of music you like makes a huge difference :P However, I'd say I'm equally an Iron Maiden fan and an Eminem fan. The IM album is very good, but it just hasn't caught on for me the way the Em one has. Could be influenced by the fact that Em hasn't released a decent album in 7 years, which makes this one hit so much harder. Also, as great as Final Frontier is, a huge problem I've been having with it is that I have to listen to albums beginning to end, straight through, many times in order for it to grow on me... and the first 3 songs on FF I just straight up don't really like, so it's made it really hard for me to push through those songs to get to the great stuff. The problem has been that I start listening, and turn it off before Coming Home (or The Alchemist, which is the first stunning song on the album)... and I've grown sick of the first few songs in addition to not really liking them. But I'm not able to just skip them... I have to already be used to an album and have a formed opinion before I can skip songs or listen to the album out of order.

But the first two songs on Em's album are fantastic, and the songs I don't really dig as much come much later in the album, rather than taking up the first 20 minutes of the album. So that's part of it.

So don't take it as though I don't think IM's album is great... it's just how things are for me.

Rooster
08-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't worry, i didn't take it that way, and it's all about personal tastes anyway.

I agree though, new Maiden album takes a lot of time to grow. It did strike me as awesome right away, but it took quite a few more spins to trully appreciate it. It's not a really easy listen, lacks real singles (it actually seems like IM don't really give a damn about making singles anymore, i'm not complaining) plus the songs are long (though for me they don't seem as long as they actually are, which is a good thing). And the album doesn't take off till the second half of it, but this could again be a good thing, since while you're listening to it you know the best is yet to come. The worst song is The Final Frontier, and even that is growing on me. El Dorado is underrated. I liked it a lot when they released it as a free download, but after a while it started to bore me, and now i love it again.

I gave Brave New World a few spins lately, and realised how much i loved that album. I realised i liked it better than AMOLAD. And The Final Frontier stands up to BNW pretty damn well, with one difference - i never could get into some songs from BNW, but i love every song from the new album.

Btw, i really like Not Afraid.

Llamas
08-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Don't worry, i didn't take it that way, and it's all about personal tastes anyway.

I agree though, new Maiden album takes a lot of time to grow. It did strike me as awesome right away, but it took quite a few more spins to trully appreciate it. It's not a really easy listen, lacks real singles (it actually seems like IM don't really give a damn about making singles anymore, i'm not complaining) plus the songs are long (though for me they don't seem as long as they actually are, which is a good thing). And the album doesn't take off till the second half of it, but this could again be a good thing, since while you're listening to it you know the best is yet to come. The worst song is The Final Frontier, and even that is growing on me. El Dorado is underrated. I liked it a lot when they released it as a free download, but after a while it started to bore me, and now i love it again.

I gave Brave New World a few spins lately, and realised how much i loved that album. I realised i liked it better than AMOLAD. And The Final Frontier stands up to BNW pretty damn well, with one difference - i never could get into some songs from BNW, but i love every song from the new album.

Btw, i really like Not Afraid.

I definitely think Final Frontier is much better than AMOLAD. The second half of FF is fantastic, and you're totally right that in a lot of ways having the better songs later in the album is a great thing. I think the album will grow on me, for sure. Part of the problem is also probably that I got Em's album a few days after FF, which stole my attention... and now I just got WSH's album, which will keep me busy for some time. Serj Tankian's album is coming out in a couple weeks... but I know eventually I'll give FF the attention it deserves, and who knows? Maybe I'll even end up liking El Dorado, too.

As far as Recovery goes, Not Afraid is good... but maybe a bit overrated compared to a lot of the album. His flow is just outstanding on this album. I love Cold Wind Blows, Talkin' 2 Myself, Going Through Changes, No Love, Space Bound, Cinderella Man, So Bad, and Love the Way you Lie... best tracks. Weak tracks are On Fire, Seduction, You're Never Over. And all the rest are good/above average. I think Em's only album that's better was The Marshall Mather's LP - yes, I like Recovery more than The Eminem Show. I guess the reason is that the topics were getting old by TES, as he was still rapping about the same topics from the first two albums... got a little boring. This album has some repetition, but a lot of newer topics. For some reason, I'm interested in Eminem's life, which is strange because I generally don't care about the lives of celebrities. But I think it's because of how he tells about it in his songs.

Rooster
08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
That's the problem when there's a lot of music you're excited about - you don't really know what you should direct your attention to first, and you can overlook some great stuff on the albums that you don't give enough attention. You'll get to it eventually.

For me, The Final Frontier is the best album since Alice In Chains: Black Gives Way to Blue, and that means something, since after almost a year that album still hasn't grown off me, i can't become tired of it, and i regularly listen to it ever since its release.

Retard
08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Sometimes I have the same trouble when it comes to albums and stuff. Working at a record store I get a discount so i can actually grab more stuff most of the time. I'll sometimes buy like 3 or 4 albums in one visit and ill listen to one of them once or twice and file away but ill listen to the others alot more and ill forget about the cd that i only listened to once. it's a good and bad thing sometimes.

Retard
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM
the new Superchunk album is awesome.... i dont know the name of it though.

that Menzingers album is really good picked that up last week. I also grabbed the Monitor by Titus Andronicus. Everyone here was right, it's awesome.

Outerspaceman21
09-13-2010, 06:33 PM
So I just got the new Comeback Kid album and man is it epic. It's got some good solid stuff on there. Been listening to it a lot.

Retard
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
JImmy eat Worlds album Invented is kinda meh.... but it was better the second time than the first so i think its a grower..... The new NO AGE album is pretty awesome to. Great noisy as shit poppy punk. Not pop-punk, its got alotta poppy elements(if they didn't have all that noise in there i bet theyd be able to get some alternative rock play) but theyre pretty much a punk band so theres all that in there. Great album.

nieh
09-30-2010, 12:18 PM
The new Swans is pretty solid.

jacknife737
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Top five for me right now:

The Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits
Off With Their Heads - In Desolation
Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
Flatliners - Cavalcade

Titus Andronicus has been recommended to me by a couple buddies, and i really dug that song you posted, i'll have to check them out: they've got a sort of Nothington meets Loved Ones vibe about them.

I'd also give a shout out to the Dopamines for their new one, Expect The Worst. It's a pretty good mix of newish stuff like Hot Water Music and 90s Lookout-era pop-punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33N7LHtiyQY

Well, not a while lot has changed regarding my favorites. New Bad Religion is good, but not on the same level as the ones i've already listed in the thread. I could say the same thing about the new Weezer. New Jimmy Eat World isn't bad, but is sort of forgettable, though I dig that "coffee and cigarettes" song, as well as the title track.

The new Street Dogs and Black Pacific are also a lot of fun: Street Dogs in particular really stepped it up after their somewhat disappointing previous album.

Looking forward to the new Fake Problems, None More Black, Smoke or Fire, Social Distortion as well as that Bad Religion tribute comp.

coke_a_holic
09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Jacknife, you ever hear The Brokedowns? Their new album is pretty cool, I'm listening to it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qih2wQSpePM

Unnatural Disaster
09-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Feeding the Wolves by 10 Years is my favorite album this year so far.

Retard
09-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Fake Problems is pretty solid. I'm not completely sold about buying it yet, but i have a feeling I will. After what I've heard so far, that BR tribute is gonna be pretty sick.

jacknife737
10-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Jacknife, you ever hear The Brokedowns? Their new album is pretty cool, I'm listening to it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qih2wQSpePM

Haven't heard those guys yet, but i really, really liked that song. It had sort of a Dear Landlord sort of vibe about it. Checking out their album right now.

Retard
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Fuck You by Cee Lo Green is definitley my favorite song of the year..... hands down no questions/ arguments at all.

I gotta get the new mark Ronson album this week. So good.

Outerspaceman21
10-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Well, so far, it's a close tie between Comeback Kid and Bad Religion. I think Comeback Kid comes a little ahead because Symptoms + Cures is amazing from start to finish.

As for the rest of the year, I'm expecting albums from Social D and The Adolescents. Thats about it for me. Kind of a downer, but I'm always on the lookout for new shit I've never heard before.

Little_Miss_1565
10-04-2010, 08:15 AM
I back most of the albums mentioned in this thread already, but I'd like to add that Robyn's Body Talk (parts 1 and 2) has probably clinched the top spot in my year-end list. Holy shit. And the live show was fantastic, too.

ProdigalSon
10-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't listen too much to new music, great new records are a rare thing nowadays. But looking forward to new ones by favourite bands.

So far the Bad Religion one was great, even if not their best. A bit more mainstream-ish pop rock/folk staff than usual, but still very good. And actually most of those songs are great in their style, my only complain is that the last 5 songs in the album are all slow/med tempo, which feels a bit strange in a BR record. I'd give it a 9/10 and name it the best of the (actually few) new records i've listened to so far this year.

Looking forward to new Rise Against, Propagandhi, Social Distortion and Offspring.

Retard
10-06-2010, 10:03 PM
It kinda scares me when I hear people say that nothing good comes out anymore..... Do you just not really search out new music? Or do you seriously hear nothing but shit in your opinion? Are you really looking in the right places for things that you'd normally like?

Outerspaceman21
10-06-2010, 11:02 PM
It kinda scares me when I hear people say that nothing good comes out anymore..... Do you just not really search out new music? Or do you seriously hear nothing but shit in your opinion? Are you really looking in the right places for things that you'd normally like?

I'm always on the look out for new shit I've never listened to before. Haven't seen too many new bands, though, that have peaked my interest. One thing that really helped me find new bands was myspace, but since I rarely go on my myspace, it doesn't help me much.

I often look to this board and other boards for bands I've never heard before, nowadays. I find some good stuff sometimes. I also try to share as much as possible.

Retard
10-07-2010, 12:17 AM
After seeing all the suggestions and praises you found on this thread alone you didn't find anything else remotely interesting? I'm not trying to be a dick, and trust me if you didn't that's perfectly cool(like you needed my ok on that) but aahh I don't know maybe I'm too into finding new stuff. Who knows.

coke_a_holic
10-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Saw Menomena live tonight, they played most of the new record. It's really great stuff, highly recommended.

Here's the second track from the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8aQVbvTsc

Outerspaceman21
10-07-2010, 01:58 AM
After seeing all the suggestions and praises you found on this thread alone you didn't find anything else remotely interesting? I'm not trying to be a dick, and trust me if you didn't that's perfectly cool(like you needed my ok on that) but aahh I don't know maybe I'm too into finding new stuff. Who knows.

Naw, not much. I've discovered a whole bunch of new band this year that I never heard of before, but most of the stuff in this thread I A) already heard and liked it B) Am a fan of the band but haven't gotten around to listening to it or C) Didn't like it that much.

I've checked almost everyone's suggestions for what they've liked but not much of it has peaked my interest. However, I haven't complete drained this thread. I have never heard anything by The Flatliners and sort of have been putting off listening to their stuff.

And I'm talking in terms of bands I've never listened to before. Most stuff presented to me in this thread are bands I am familiar with.

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 04:14 AM

I'm not saying nothing new and good comes up. But far less than 15, 20 or 30 years ago. Mainstream music quality has gone totally downhill with very rare exceptions, and underground isn't that great either in most cases. And that's not because people now are untalented, in fact the percentage of techinically skilled musicians is bigger. But they's nothing new to play in rock music (my interest) and in most other music styles too. Have you seen something largely original coming out in the part 20 or so years? Or can you claim this year you've seen as many good albums as say 1994 or 1988. Again, there's still some small percentage of good ones, but there's so much better music from the past to discover, without meaning i'll ignore something good and new if i come across it.

coke_a_holic
10-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Have you seen something largely original coming out in the part 20 or so years? Or can you claim this year you've seen as many good albums as say 1994 or 1988.

You need to look harder, bro.

Saw Menomena live tonight, they played most of the new record. It's really great stuff, highly recommended.

Here's the second track from the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8aQVbvTsc

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
You need to look harder, bro.

Possibly you're more into new music or the better recording/production quality on avegare? Else I'd say you should check more old music (in the styles you like ofc).

My main point is that there's far less new things remaining to play (chord progressions, melodies etc) as music goes on. So most new staff are either (mostly) unoriginal or even pure copies. Check RAF/RAG for example. Most songs have "stolen" parts. Still I consider it pretty good compared to the mass of crap records out there. Add the increased view of music purely as a product for sale to the lack of something new, and you have good/great records being mostly the exception rather than the rule, compared to older years.

And that's not something that comes just from theory. I've listened to a pretty huge range of rock music and many artists in each style, new and old. And also got some average to limitted knowledge in some non-rock music styles. I was listening mostly to new music until recent years, I just don't search for it that much anymore cause I know I'll find a bigger percentage of good music in 70s, 80s and early 90s.

Llamas
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Possibly you're more into new music or the better recording/production quality on avegare? Else I'd say you should check more old music (in the styles you like ofc).

My main point is that there's far less new things remaining to play (chord progressions, melodies etc) as music goes on. So most new staff are either (mostly) unoriginal or even pure copies. Check RAF/RAG for example. Most songs have "stolen" parts. Still I consider it pretty good compared to the mass of crap records out there. Add the increased view of music purely as a product for sale to the lack of something new, and you have good/great records being mostly the exception rather than the rule, compared to older years.

And that's not something that comes just from theory. I've listened to a pretty huge range of rock music and many artists in each style, new and old. And also got some average to limitted knowledge in some non-rock music styles. I was listening mostly to new music until recent years, I just don't search for it that much anymore cause I know I'll find a bigger percentage of good music in 70s, 80s and early 90s.

If you limit yourself to fairly typical rock music, of course there's less and less you can do. But I could list 20 songs right here, right now that came out in the last 5 years that sound like nothing you've ever heard before. I doubt many of them could strictly be classified as "rock", though. If you don't limit yourself, there's TONS of new music that's awesome and unique. And I don't prefer new music - I like music from every decade, even from different centuries. When it comes to music, age is irrelevant to me. There's so much good music being released these days.

Rooster
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
If you limit yourself to fairly typical rock music, of course there's less and less you can do. But I could list 20 songs right here, right now that came out in the last 5 years that sound like nothing you've ever heard before. I doubt many of them could strictly be classified as "rock", though. If you don't limit yourself, there's TONS of new music that's awesome and unique. And I don't prefer new music - I like music from every decade, even from different centuries. When it comes to music, age is irrelevant to me. There's so much good music being released these days.

I have to agree with this. I mean, i know i said before sometime before there's not much new you can invent in music today, and that's partially true, if you limit yourself to listening to a very few particular genres. Still, there is original stuff and original bands in "traditional rock" even today. Alice In Chains is one of those bands. Anyway, if you don't limit yourself there's a lot of possibilities. The thing is though, i tend to limit myself, as a lot of other people do. I've broadened my horizons, but still i only listen to heavier, more agressive types of rock music. I don't like too much other influences. And this naturally limits me. Different people prefer different styles of music. Nobody likes everything i guess. In the end, what matters the most is that it sounds good to you.

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Ofc there's good music from every age and style. But rock music is my loved one, by far deppest reaserched etc. I'm not an "everything non-rock sucks" kind of person but it's what draws my attention more. And still what i consider as a pretty good reasearch in rock music is tiny compared to the total rock things in existance, so i got much more to discover in my loved styles. Also huge variation (say from thrash metal to folk rock) so it never gets boring. But what i think about it is pretty valid (having a large sample) and valid for some of the other music styles too.

Btw I've heard many people say that in electronic music there's tons of new great staff coming up, but it's a gerne I don't really enjoy.

coke_a_holic
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
ProdigalSon: I listen to plenty of older music. Some of my favorites came out before 1980 (The Clash's London Calling, Neil Young's After The Gold Rush, Tom Waits' Rain Dogs, for example). The fact is that new music is always coming out and if you're looking hard, you will find things being done that are completely original and totally new and unexpected.

The biggest mistake you can make as a music enthusiast is believing that somehow people have "used up" all of the things that can be done with music. I believe Tom Waits said it best: "instruments might be square, but music is round." There are so many frontiers that haven't been explored yet. Even if chord progressions get reused, the methods the musicians make can take songs places you would never expect.

Here are some straight up rock songs that have all come out within the past 10 years and are original:

-Dudes uses a laptop to create indie-ska-punk with ridiculous synthesizers, he plays all the instruments:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiG--6CDdR4&feature=related

-Chick throws out fucking crazy tapping guitar solos as the verse melody WHILE she sings her own pep-talks, backed by a crazy drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpJg7dV8NU

-Group of Canadians sing songs about heartache across an entire continent to the sounds of organs and cellos over a drum-n-bass-near-break-beat drummer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdrkZMYpA

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If your experience with new music is what's on the radio, then, yeah, it's all gonna be shit. But there's also thousands of whole underground scenes with so many bands across the world doing new things, just trying something new. You can't possibly discredit all of them at a whim like that and expect people to be silent.

Btw, using RAFRAG as a dipstick to "new music" is a terrible idea; The Offspring are, in my opinion, an old band. Their first album came out nearly 20 years ago. Most of the bands I listen to, and most of the bands I consider "new" didn't really start until maybe 10 years ago or less. Just a thought.

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I think most of you got me wrong. I never said there aren't/can't be good new things. I'm talking about the vast majority. And it lacks even more when compared to older music because of the obviously less things left to play and increased comercialism reasons.

Edit: I gotta go now and can't get into detail with specific arguments, but if you get what I mean above it pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

Harleyquiiinn
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
The biggest mistake you can make as a music enthusiast is believing that somehow people have "used up" all of the things that can be done with music. I believe Tom Waits said it best: "instruments might be square, but music is round." There are so many frontiers that haven't been explored yet. Even if chord progressions get reused, the methods the musicians make can take songs places you would never expect.

Yes and I'd like to point out that even with things on the radio, you can have good surprises.

Example: I hated Linkin Park of all my heart for 10 years. Ok maybe not "hate", I just thought it wasn't good.

And now, I have to come to that thread to say that I've been listening to their new album for 2 weeks. And my personnal opinion is that it's excellent.

That album would have been made by another band with much more credibility it would be acclaimed.

But since Linkin Park has the reputation to be a teenage angst band, the music enthusiasts (at least the ones I know) won't even give it a try. How sad is this ?

Llamas
10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Man. I always click coke's links when he recommends music, and 90% of it just doesn't do it for me... but every so often something just sticks SO WELL. The Rural Alberta is the first one I believe since Amanda Palmer, and I simply LOVE IT! Downloading the album as I type this. <3

Anyway, I find it really ironic and hypocritical when people bitch that there's no original and unique music anymore, but they continue to listen to a very old, non-progressive genre. If you don't like progressive styles of music, OF COURSE shit's gonna get repeated a lot. You have no right to complain that people aren't being creative enough when you're busy limiting yourself with blinders.

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 03:48 PM
If you know as much about the rock genre as you claim, you should realize that music has always been 90% crap, 10% good. For every Beatles and Led Zeppelin band, there are hundreds of crap bands. It's just that history only remembers the good ones.

Anyway, like Queen and Bowie? These guys are one of the more creative bands to come out... ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ATqOezSiA

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyway, I find it really ironic and hypocritical when people bitch that there's no original and unique music anymore, but they continue to listen to a very old, non-progressive genre. If you don't like progressive styles of music, OF COURSE shit's gonna get repeated a lot. You have no right to complain that people aren't being creative enough when you're busy limiting yourself with blinders.

Very good way way of isolating things to make it sound the way you want them. Reread and understand my posts before going into such judgements. I was talking about rock and some other styles anyway, not everything in music and I made it clear.

If you know as much about the rock genre as you claim, you should realize that music has always been 90% crap, 10% good. For every Beatles and Led Zeppelin band, there are hundreds of crap bands. It's just that history only remembers the good ones.

Anyway, like Queen and Bowie? These guys are one of the more creative bands to come out... ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ATqOezSiA

I never claimed to be an expert. At the very same post I said that I've listened to much rock & subgenres I said that's there's always too much more and my knowledge is far from compete, i just said I have a good sample to judge as a percentage and within new and old. I Agree that music was always more crap than good, but for the reasons I've mentioned now the crap percentage has increased a lot.

I like both Queen and Bowie, not big favourites but i clearly apreciate them.

Anyway while i like talking on music even while disagreeing, people, try taking the arguments as a whole else the only way to reply is recycling things which is pointless.

coke_a_holic
10-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Older music is great, but it's got nothing in terms of creativity compared to new music. Their influence is notable, but the new stuff is just incredible. It helps that it's the sounds of our own generation at work, which I really appreciate. Older music is nice, but I always feel like I'm borrowing from my parents when I listen to it. I feel like it is beneficial to have my own music from my own time period.

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 04:35 PM
I never claimed to be an expert. At the very same post I said that I've listened to much rock & subgenres I said that's there's always too much more and my knowledge is far from compete, i just said I have a good sample to judge as a percentage and within new and old. I Agree that music was always more crap than good, but for the reasons I've mentioned now the crap percentage has increased a lot.

I like both Queen and Bowie, not big favourites but i clearly apreciate them.

Anyway while i like talking on music even while disagreeing, people, try taking the arguments as a whole else the only way to reply is recycling things which is pointless.

Nor did I claim that you were an expert. However, you did claim that you have researched it deeply. You said mainstream music is going downhill, it really isn't. Mainstream music has always been horrific. There have always been one hit wonder and fad bands, always. Along with that, there are always the select few breakout bands for every generation. You said that new music is unoriginal and copies older music, which in a lot of cases, is simply untrue. The better new bands of this generation are doing unimaginable and ridiculously creative things, while still being 'rock' bands. Even if they aren't some of them are doing what older bands did, but better.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the bands you like? What is does 'rock' mean to you?

Addressing your argument as a whole? The only thing you've said is 'new music is bad and unoriginal, old music is great and creative' without actually putting forward any legitimate evidence or arguments.

One last thing, if you don't mind, how old are you?

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Older music is great, but it's got nothing in terms of creativity compared to new music. Their influence is notable, but the new stuff is just incredible. It helps that it's the sounds of our own generation at work, which I really appreciate. Older music is nice, but I always feel like I'm borrowing from my parents when I listen to it. I feel like it is beneficial to have my own music from my own time period.

I mostly agree here. And I didn't make something clear in my previous posts i thing which might cause some confusion. There's still creativity but in differend ways.

To make it clear i'll take 2 examples. Rise Against and System of a Down, 2 bands I love. Both newish bands and if not that new they're certainly from a period I consider that music had already gone worse on average.

Both have their own style, but thats a mix of influences mostly, not something new. And that's what i mean about creativity. You won't have some complete reinvetion in sub-styles of rock music anymore. That's totally ok to me when the band puts out some good music though, and i consider those 2 and many older and some newer bands in that vein.

Now for each 2 of such bands you'll have 2000 that are pure copy-paste of other bands. Now add to that the increased number of bands that go for the easy money/fame with what sells at the target period and you got the bad mix. Such things always happened but now i clearly see it increased.

Once more, before I get the same replies from some people, I don't claim that experimentation is totally dead or that this applies to every kind of music. And why taking it to music in general just to find anti-arguments while i wasn't talking about everything?

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Nor did I claim that you were an expert. However, you did claim that you have researched it deeply. You said mainstream music is going downhill, it really isn't. Mainstream music has always been horrific. There have always been one hit wonder and fad bands, always. Along with that, there are always the select few breakout bands for every generation. You said that new music is unoriginal and copies older music, which in a lot of cases, is simply untrue. The better new bands of this generation are doing unimaginable and ridiculously creative things, while still being 'rock' bands. Even if they aren't some of them are doing what older bands did, but better.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the bands you like? What is does 'rock' mean to you?

Addressing your argument as a whole? The only thing you've said is 'new music is bad and unoriginal, old music is great and creative' without actually putting forward any legitimate evidence or arguments.

One last thing, if you don't mind, how old are you?

Again, I said I got a good sample as I have a good variety and quantity of rock favourites. And this And still what i consider as a pretty good reasearch in rock music is tiny compared to the total rock things in existance, so i got much more to discover in my loved styles..

Mainstream was far less horrific. Zeppelin, Queen, Beattles, Stones, Bowie, Metallica, G n R, even mid 90s Offspring/Green day and much more. Compare that to modern mainstream rock... Majority of mainstream was, is and will be crappy probably, but in the past it had many great bands as well.

What bands are you talking about in this generation?

Some bands in pretty much every rock style are enjoyable for me. But most loved in the past few years are punk and thrash. Some current big favourites are Bad Religion, Rise Against, No Fun At All, Slayer, Kreator, Nofx, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Social Distortion, Propagandhi, Old Offspring/Metallica/Maiden, Queensryche, Judas Priest, System of A Down, Misfits, Pearl Jam and goes on. And I'm 24.

On Addressing your argument as a whole? The only thing you've said is 'new music is bad and unoriginal, old music is great and creative' without actually putting forward any legitimate evidence or arguments.

If that's what you made after reading my posts, I got nothing to comment on it.

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I checked out your myspace. After looking at your favorite bands, I see we have nothing to talk about.

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I checked out your myspace. After looking at your bands, I see we have nothing to talk about.

Yeah I guess how much you like my band or influences, or even how crap we are, if we are so, determines how valid my opinions are. I really pitty you and my lost time to reply.

WebDudette
10-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Not your band, the bands you listed as your favorite bands. Enjoy your radio music and close-mindedness, broham.

ProdigalSon
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Not your band, the bands you listed as your favorite bands. Enjoy your radio music and close-mindedness, broham.

Still makes you offensive and generalising. And what are you doing on an Offspring forum if you consider those bands mainstream in a bad way? Most of them are far less than the Offspring. Anyway going far off topic and wasting words, I won't continue this.

jacknife737
10-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Going to have to agree with just about everything coke_a_holic has said on this issue.

P.S. cheers for indirectly reminding me to check out the Rural Alberta Advantage.

Retard
10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I think it's kind of a good example of how much better music is now a days than back then, my mother listens to alot more newer bands than bands that she grew up with in the seventies. Every generation has loads of shitty bands that took influence from the better bands. You just don't hear about them anymore because they sucked. I go to record stores and i'll flip through the vinyl and see loads of music by bands i've never heard of. Most of it is from the 70's 60's ect. Why don't people know about them now? Because they sucked back then an no one gave a shit, and no one does now. that's what the music industry is dude, one band hits it big, and then labels try their hardest to sign every single band that sounds exactly like them so maybe they can get a little bit of that money themselves. I honestly can't name one person that can look at me with a straight face and say, YEA I LOVE BAD COMPANY! not even anyone who lived back then can say that anymore.

jacknife737
10-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Have a new record that i`ve been playing non stop for the past few days:

Iron Chic - "Not Like This"

Similar to Hot Water Music, Dillinger Four, RVIVR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_fYQNYCmFo

Retard
10-09-2010, 01:26 PM

what took me a whole friggen paragraph to say you said alot better and more understandable in less that a hundred words.... and before me good job dude now i feel stupid. haha

Llamas
10-09-2010, 01:39 PM
If you try to apply this argument to the film industry, you'll realize how stupid it is. Are old movies from the 1950's better than modern films because there was so much left to discover? Film ideas get recycled, so does that mean new movies are just copycats and it's better to watch movies from previous decades? I mean, sure there are only so many chords, but there are so many elements to music that it'll never get stale and they will never run out of ideas.

nieh
10-09-2010, 02:44 PM
The new Guster is really fucking good.

Llamas
10-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I haven't listened to the new Guster yet, but I caught them in concert this summer and I really enjoyed all the new songs they played. I should check out the new album.

I have to admit that the new Linkin Park album is really good. I've never considered myself a fan, and I didn't even bother checking out the last album, Minutes to Midnight - I hated the singles too much and when I youtubed a few other songs, they were almost as bad. But this album doesn't sound anything like Linkin Park, and it's definitely their best album. I think I'll be listening to this for a while.

Retard
10-12-2010, 12:47 AM
That album Libraries by The Love Language is pretty fucking awesome. Great acousticy indie kinda pop music. Catchy as fuck.

Just heard a song from Electric Wizard's new album.... That is gonna be a fucking bomb record. Why the hell did it take me so long to get into doom metal?

nameless
10-17-2010, 03:42 PM
i cant stop listening to the black pacific at the moment. i wasnt sure at first about the album but its really grown on me!

jacknife737
10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I seem to have a new favorite every week.

The new Fake Problems - Real Ghosts Caught On Tape is so freaking good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM44t6ySM20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvfUdzVlorc&p=B992667D6AC03E53&playnext=1&index=1

And just for fun, here is Frank Turner covering the first track on the album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envG99eT7n4

Awesome.

Retard
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
That Fake problems album is sooo good! Maybe not top ten good for me... but I like it ALOT!

the new Belle and Sebastian is pretty chill

coke_a_holic
10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Before I download the new Fake Problems... what did you guys think of the last album? I feel like... everyone really liked It's Great To Be Alive, but I thought it was real garbage, whereas, I thought How Far Our Bodies Go was one of the best albums of 2007. So, there's that.

jacknife737
10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
You can count me as one of the people who enjoyed It's Great To Be Alive, although i did find some of the lyrics to be a bit cheesy.

Retard
10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't think I actually ever listened to the last one......

jacknife737
10-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Newish album that may make it to my top ten (though technically it's like an ep: 10 songs in 18 minutes).

Mixtapes - Maps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaDtYQmpfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDqHLHwXbU&feature=related

You can download the album for free (with their label's blessing) right here
http://www.deathtofalsehoperecords.com/downloads/dtfh022.html

Retard
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
New None More Black album is pretty dope.

coke_a_holic
10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Fuck, I completely forgot about how great The National are. Their new album is pretty good, but it's got some of the best songs they've ever written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVp7C5vzMgw

Like this one. Jesus. Definitely watch it through, when it picks up at, like, 4:45 is so intense after the whole build-up.

Retard
10-26-2010, 08:56 PM
The new national is a pretty good album.... its been a while since I've listened to it though.

Llamas
10-28-2010, 05:25 AM
I just downloaded a few new albums that I'm excited to listen to:

Guster - Easy Wonderful

Corin Tucker Band (former singer of Sleater-Kinney) - 1,000 Years

KT Tunstall - Tiger Suit

Steven Page (former singer of Barenaked Ladies) - Page One

I have high expectations and I'm excited for a lot of music listening! Hopefully some of these will turn out to be great.

edit: so far I've gotten through Steven Page's album, which is absolutely fantastic, and I'm a few songs into Guster, which is sounding very, very good!

Llamas
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
So of those four albums I downloaded:

KT Tunstall - Tiger Suit is by far the best. I've always liked her as a singer/guitarist/performer, but other than her two big hits from the first album (Suddenly I See, and Black Horse in a Cherry Tree), I always thought she kind of struggled as a writer. This album blows the other two out of the water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57SKGZEDFSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGkIljOISo

In second right now is Steven Page - Page One. In a lot of ways, it sounds like the Barenaked Ladies; in other ways, it sounds like something much darker and more mature. He plays with a lot of genres and his songs often sound a lot less optimistic than BNL songs. I like this album far better than the last two BNL albums. Maybe even the last three.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR4VMLsZ35g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36gQF-80Tc

Next is the Corin Tucker Band. Former singer of Sleater-Kinney's new band... it's definitely NOT Sleater-Kinney. This is something much more accessible. I think I might have been a bit let down by that fact, because I was hoping for something more similar to SK. But this album is very listenable and it's still more interesting than most of the stuff that's coming out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j0n0G4eU5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWQhSwk0io

Last is Guster - Easy Wonderful. I don't really know, but I haven't gotten into it much yet. The song On the Ocean is amazing, but otherwise, it just doesn't feel like they did anything new. I liked the last album more... but I'm going to give this one more time to grow on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9zJDBu66M&ob=av2n

coke_a_holic
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I've been really digging the debut/final Eagle Scout record, New Hands, for the past few days. It came out earlier this year and they broke up over the weekend, but the album is highly recommended to people who like kind of weird rhythms with sensible lyrics and catchy melodies.

Samplez: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPeFoRNvHho&feature=related

Free?
11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Samplez: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPeFoRNvHho&feature=related

Am I the only one who immediately thought of Ghost of Karelia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC8L9_RCB3c)?

Outerspaceman21
11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Am I the only one who immediately thought of Ghost of Karelia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC8L9_RCB3c)?

I didn't catch that right away, but yeah, I definitely hear that. Surprising, because I love that album and have been listening to it like crazy lately (the Mastodon one, I mean).

Retard
11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
"I'm Having Fun Now" by Jenny and Johnny will most likely be in my top ten albums this year. It's pretty awesome. makes me think of summer and feel warm inside even though its midway through november.

dff_punk
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Seriously, the new album of My Chemical Romance is pretty awesome. Listen to it.

Outerspaceman21
12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Seriously, the new album of My Chemical Romance is pretty awesome. Listen to it.

I have heard some of it and it is really good. They've come a long ways from their Three Cheers days.

EDIT: NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

(So catchy)

Retard
12-03-2010, 12:07 AM
My beautiful dark twisted fantasy by Kanye West will 99.9% be in my top ten at the end of the year.... that's all i gotta say.

coke_a_holic
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
My beautiful dark twisted fantasy by Kanye West will 99.9% be in my top ten at the end of the year.... that's all i gotta say.

This. Only it's 100%. So fucking good.

Retard
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I've never even SEEN this side of Pussy Town!

RageAndLov
12-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I think the best album so far this year is Hot Hot Heat's Future Breed.

Outerspaceman21
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
For me, the two albums that made my year were Bad Religion's The Dissent of Man and Comeback Kid's Symptoms + Cures. There were some other good ones, but nothing that I really got into. Heres hoping 2011 brings more sick music.

zsk
12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
The Final Frontier of course!!!!

Retard
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm pretty gonna use this for new albums from 2010 i've heard til the end of 2010. So Even though its no where near anything great.... New Redman album is pretty good.

Outerspaceman21
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
No Trigger's new EP is the shit. Two songs of absolute awesome. I think Tooth is my song of the year. I highly recommend it. :D

jacknife737
12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Been thinking about my shortlist for favorite albums: i think i'll have to cop out again with my list this year, it'll probably have to be a "no particular order" type of list, since i'm so indeicive.

In other news: new Frank Turner ep is really good. Dude is just so damn charming when he sings.

Retard
12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
oh shit, theres a new Frank Turner? SWEEET!

jacknife737
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah dude, better get on that.

Retard
12-13-2010, 01:47 AM
So in no particular order (yet) I give you the beginning of my top ten.

Ghosts on the Boardwalk by Bouncing Souls
Majesty Shredding by Superchunk
How I Got Over by The Roots
Contra by Vampire Weekend
Crazy For You by Best Coast
Icons by None More Black
Rohernt Park by Ceremony
Cavalcade by The Flatliners
American Slang by Gaslight Anthem
I'm Having Fun Now by Jenny and Johnny
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy(or whatever its called) by Kanye West.

ThunderPX
12-13-2010, 06:26 AM
I can't make a list this year because this year really sucked. Sorting my music library by year, I only have one 2010 album that I really like all the way through (Hurley by Weezer.) Then there's a bunch of albums with some okay tracks and a lot of filler, followed by the really disappointing new releases from artists I already like, and finally the sea of really annoying shit like Vampire Weekend that I can't seem to escape.

But excuse the rant--we're on page fifteen of this thread now, so I must be the one doing something wrong here. Anyone got some good stuff I should listen to so this year can redeem itself in the eleventh hour?

Superdope
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
So, the list looked like this a couple of months ago:

Deftones - Diamond Eyes
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
Eels - End Times
Fatso Jetson - Archaic Volumes
How to Destroy Angels - How to Destroy Angels
Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits

Add Eminems Recovery and LCD Soundsystems This is Happening to that list.

Even though the beats on Recovery sound awfully contemporary Eminem hasn't sounded this energetic in a very, very long time.

I'm particularly loving This is Happening. Dance Yrself Clean has been at the top of my playlist for days now.

Lynx
12-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, it's definetely sucked year. No albums from Offspring (goddamn why????), Metallica (it seems to me that these guys are already empty of ideas), Fear Factory, Joe Satriani... and... Avril Lavigne (she became really pop-bitch now, however not so far she made good songs)))) Of course there'se some more bands I listen without new albums this year, but I won't write about it.. why? The main I expected is upstairs))

Lynx
12-15-2010, 01:08 AM
I think maybe BFMV - "Fever" is one of the good albums of 2010. I like it

Outerspaceman21
12-15-2010, 01:32 AM
My list

1. Comeback Kid - Symptoms + Cures (good old hardcore)
2. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (good tunes)
3. The Smashing Pumpkins - Teargarden by Kaleidyscope (for the 5 or 6 songs released this year. Freak is amazing, classic Pumpkins)
4. Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow (not bad, though not as good as their older stuff)
5. Bad Religion - The Dissent of Man (Not as great as New maps, but still really good)
6. No Trigger - Be Honest (2 songs of epic glory)

Thats about it. I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I've spent the better part of the year discovering new music released years prior. Hopefully, 2011 will be a good year.

Lynx
12-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Hopefully, 2011 will be a good year.
we're all hope so, man) Or anyway I cut my fucking veinZ. No. It's simply)) I shoot myself.

Retard
12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
AAAHH totally forgot about a few things,

Aziz Ansari's album Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening. One of the best stand up albums i've ever heard. I've probably listened to it about like 30 times, and sometimes people think that stand up albums are only good once, they were fucking wrong. This thing is still just as funny as the first time i heard it. Ok no I dont laugh as much as i did the first time, but it doesn't mean that its not fucking hilarious.

i have a couple of "disappointments" of the year.... not saying they were bad but they were still not as good as I was expecting.
Against Me!'s White Crosses, there are some great songs(first two, Spanish Moss, Rapid Decompression), but there are also some kinda questionable ones: Ache With me? the AH AHS! were stupid, the fucking Bob Dylan song? come on guys.
Bad Religion's Dissent of Man, Compared to their other ones it just really didnt hold up. There were a few songs that sounded like old ones, that song that ripped off barenaked ladies, and it was just too fucking long. Not horrible by any means but just not that great.
Bone Thugs and Harmony's Uni5: The World's Enemy. Not really knowing Bone Thugs that much besides the classic Tha Crossroads, I had read a review in XXL magazine giving it a really good review. A friend of mine had had a few CD's by them at one point, so I figured they must be good. Well for what it was it IS a good rap album, just i wasn't really that into it. Maybe I need to listen to it more but I don't know, seemed kinda meh. And the whole thing about god and shit kinda rubbed me the wrong way to.

Favorite EP's of the year,
forgetters by forgetters.
Sick by Ceremony
Thrash Compacter by The Ergs!
The First Four EPs by OFF!
Couple Tracks 7" and the David's Plan 7" by Fucked up.

jacknife737
12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
The list(s): everything is in no particular order.

Top 10 Albums
Menzingers – Chamberlain Waits
Off Wih Their Heads – In Desolation
Fake Problems – Real Ghosts Caught on Tape
Flatlinters - Clavlacde
Against Me! – White Crosses
Gaslight Anthem – Americana Slang
Dopamines – Expect the Worst
Iron Chic – Not Like This
RVIVR – S/T
None More Black - Icons

Top 8 EPs
Frank Turner – Rock and Roll
Mixtapes - Maps
The Brokedowns – 6 Songs
Direct Hit/The Mixtapes – Split
Flatliners – Monumental
Old Man Markley – For Better For Worse
Red City Radio – Spinning in Circles is a Gateway Drug
Swingin’ Utters –Taking the Long Way

Albums that probably should have been in my top 10, but I just started listening to them
Riot Before - Rebellion
Smoke or Fire – The Speakesy

2010 was a good year for me.

qt14091
12-16-2010, 01:59 AM
thanks for sharing
I thinks so like you,thanks very much. In the future,
I hope to improve to quality of post and your web is more and more useful to every ones

du hoc anh (http://duhocanh.edu.vn),du hoc uc (http://duhocuc.org.vn)

Retard
12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
forgot a couple Eps.
Nevermind the bombings here's your six figures by United Nations.(that thing is fucking brutal).
And They Call Me Mad? by Conan O'brien (benny benny benny)
Dirtnap 7" by Young Governor.(ben cook is a fucking power pop genius!)

mrphantuan
12-17-2010, 12:33 AM
forgot a couple Eps.
Nevermind the bombings here's your six figures by United Nations.(that thing is fucking brutal).
And They Call Me Mad? by Conan O'brien (benny benny benny)
Dirtnap 7" by Young Governor.(ben cook is a fucking power pop genius!)

hi ,thanks!

Retard
12-18-2010, 12:07 AM
welcome?

why the fuck you thanking me dude?

XYlophonetreeZ
12-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Kanye's new album is good and all. OK, it's really goddamned impressive. It's a very tight album, and it really makes sense as a whole. Kanye clearly put the thing together exactly how he planned it out. I can't give it a 10 or a 9.9 or anything like that though because the songs draaaaaaaaag in the middle. But it starts and finishes perfectly, so it's easy to think of as a perfect album I guess.

Also, as excellent as "Lost in the World" is, anyone who hasn't heard Bon Iver's original "Woods" needs to get on that shit right now.

Retard
12-21-2010, 12:28 AM
The Speakeasy is a really fucking good album. I think at the moment my favorite song is "honey I was right about the war" and "Porch Wine". Definitely up there for me. I wasn't really that enthusiastic about This Sinking Ship. I liked Patty Herst Syndrome, so I bought the album, it's got its moments but nothing sticking out too much. This one was a HUUUGE improvement over it.

I've listened to half of Maps by Mixtapes. What I've heard so far is pretty awesome. Haven't they put out like 10 things this year?

Llamas
12-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Alright, the year is just about over, so it's time choose my top five favorites of 2010. The year started off slow, but as it went on, some absolutely amazing albums came out.

Wir Sind Helden - Bring Mich Nach Hause
This is my favorite band in life, and even months after its release, I think this might be their best album to date. So clearly this is my favorite album of the year. It's got the greatest folk influence of all their albums, and the lyrics are amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2bUyGdF_w0

Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies
I honestly wasn't expecting this album to be all that great, considering his first solo album, while being a great effort, left a lot to be desired. But whatever that album was lacking, this one more than makes up for. It's diverse, it's rich, it's deep... it has everything I could ever want in music, besides good lyrics. But Serj has never been very good at writing lyrics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2EAORFOko

65 Days of Static - We Were Exploding Anyway
My favorite post-rock group released their most melodic album to date. In the past, while their songs were amazing, they failed to find a melody to carry the songs. They finally found it with this album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ag_O1j7jns

Eminem - Recovery
Eminem's most inspired work, by far, and my favorite rap album of the year. I'm glad he ditched the Slim Shady persona and has very clearly found himself maturing. This album, unlike his previous ones, has left me fascinated by Eminem and wanting to know more about his life. Plus the singles are just bomb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2bjStuwyY

Okay, I lied. I can't narrow it down two five... there's a tie for fifth place.

KT Tunstall - Tiger Suit
I have always admired her talent for singing and playing guitar, but she's never been much of a song writer. Sure, Black Horse and Suddenly I See were huge successes, but the rest of her albums were filled with pretty boring, uninspired songs. Somehow she seems to have found her talent for writing on this album. These are songs that get stuck in my head and I just want to listen to on loop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57SKGZEDFSY

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
Yep. Huge fuckin' hit album that I'm sure everyone in North America is sick and tired of hearing about. I don't care, though, because this album honestly impresses me. The flow, the production, the song-writing, the diversity... it's all there. The only downsides to this album are 1) lyrics - they suck, which doesn't come as a surprise for Linkin Park, 2) the fact that it is a huge studio production that leaves me wondering how much of it the band itself actually wrote. The end result is pretty great, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyDiuzpHCg

Honorable mentions:
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
Hanson - Shout it Out
Steven Page - Page One
MGMT - Congratulations
Alkaline Trio - This Addiction
Corin Tucker - 1,000 Years
Balkan Beat Box - Blue Eyed Black Boy

Biggest disappointments:
White Crosses - Against Me!
Barenaked Ladies - All in Good Time
Goo Goo Dolls - Something For the Rest of Us
Guster - Easy Wonderful

jacknife737
12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
The Speakeasy is a really fucking good album. I think at the moment my favorite song is "honey I was right about the war" and "Porch Wine". Definitely up there for me. I wasn't really that enthusiastic about This Sinking Ship. I liked Patty Herst Syndrome, so I bought the album, it's got its moments but nothing sticking out too much. This one was a HUUUGE improvement over it.

I've listened to half of Maps by Mixtapes. What I've heard so far is pretty awesome. Haven't they put out like 10 things this year?

I enjoyed the Sinking Ship, but i'd agree that the Speakeasy is quite a bit better.

And haha, yeah the Mixtapes have pretty high productivity at the moment: they've put out like at least 5 eps or splits this year, and they even have one more coming out (actually i think it just got released). But i love those guys, their music is instantly catchy, and they're also just super nice dudes too.

RageAndLov
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Eminem - Recovery
Eminem's most inspired work, by far, and my favorite rap album of the year. I'm glad he ditched the Slim Shady persona and has very clearly found himself maturing. This album, unlike his previous ones, has left me fascinated by Eminem and wanting to know more about his life. Plus the singles are just bomb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2bjStuwyY

I liked this album, way better than Relapse, but I must admit I miss Slim Shady. His two best albums are IMO Marshall Matters LP and Slim Shady LP. I feel some of the energy has left him in this album. I think Encore is a better album, but some of the songs on Recovery are freaking awesome and he really sparks in some of them. This is in my top 10 this year without a doubt.

Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
Yep. Huge fuckin' hit album that I'm sure everyone in North America is sick and tired of hearing about. I don't care, though, because this album honestly impresses me. The flow, the production, the song-writing, the diversity... it's all there. The only downsides to this album are 1) lyrics - they suck, which doesn't come as a surprise for Linkin Park, 2) the fact that it is a huge studio production that leaves me wondering how much of it the band itself actually wrote. The end result is pretty great, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyDiuzpHCg

Did you like Minutes to Midnight? I have been wondering whether or not I should spend $28 for another LP album, because I think MTM really blew, except for three songs. The song you linked to was good, I liked it, but I am afraid there are two good songs on the album and 10 U2-wannabe songs, as it was on MTM.

Retard
12-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Finally listened to all of Maps... Fucking really good!

coke_a_holic
12-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Holy shit
Eagle Scout - New Hands
John K. Samson - Provincial Road 222 EP
Joie De Vivre - The North End
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Menomena - Mines
Noumenon - Party Mathematics EP
Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People EP
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
The Wonder Years - The Upsides

Really Great
Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son Of Chico Dusty
Communist Daughter - Soundtrack To The End
Die Antwoord - $O$
Janelle Monae - The Archandroid
Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans - The Falcon Lake Incident
The National - High Violet
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks
Tim Kasher - The Game Of Monogamy

Pretty Great
Bars Of Gold - Of Gold
Beneath The Massacre - Maree Noire
DEVO - Something For Everybody
Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave
Marnie Stern - Marnie Stern
Superchunk - Majesty Shredding
Theodore - Hold You Like A Lover
Tokyo Police Club - Champ
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimons

Llamas
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I liked this album, way better than Relapse, but I must admit I miss Slim Shady. His two best albums are IMO Marshall Matters LP and Slim Shady LP. I feel some of the energy has left him in this album. I think Encore is a better album, but some of the songs on Recovery are freaking awesome and he really sparks in some of them. This is in my top 10 this year without a doubt.
Someone else told me this week that he misses Slim Shady, as well. Slim Shady was definitely a very clever way for Eminem to express himself, and he had a lot of cool moments... but I'm glad he grew up. I love the Marshall Mathers LP - it's the album that got me into him (I didn't like his first album all that much) - but I definitely think that that persona just paved the way for him to become the person he is. Unlike his previous albums, Recovery actually makes me interested in him as a person and his life... the others were just amusing and full of shock value.

I couldn't stand Encore, and didn't even bother checking out Relapse.

Did you like Minutes to Midnight? I have been wondering whether or not I should spend $28 for another LP album, because I think MTM really blew, except for three songs. The song you linked to was good, I liked it, but I am afraid there are two good songs on the album and 10 U2-wannabe songs, as it was on MTM.

I can't stand Minutes to Midnight. I downloaded it just because I like the new album so much and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on anything... there was only one song on that album that I could stand. The biggest complaints people seem to have with the new album is that there aren't a lot of *songs* on it, though. Of 15 tracks, only 9 are songs... the rest are segues. If you're looking for an album of songs, don't bother. But if you're looking for a very cohesive yet diverse concept album, definitely do. The song I linked is the climax of the album, but the entire album (minus the closing song) is pretty stellar.

cool 2 hate 681
12-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Alkaline Trio - This Addiction
The Black Pacific - The Black Pacific
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier
The Bouncing Souls - Ghosts on the Boardwalk
Authority Zero – Stories of Survival
Off With Their Heads – In Desolation
Street Dogs – Street Dogs
Smoke or Fire – The Speakesy

Favorite EPs

No Trigger - Be Honest
OFF! - First Four EPs
The Ataris - All Souls' Day & The Graveyard of The Atlantic

Biggest disappointments

Bad Religion - The Dissent of Man
Rufio - Anybody Out There

jacknife737
12-23-2010, 11:31 PM
The Wonder Years - The Upsides

That's a really fun album.

Retard
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok I liked it, it's really good, don't anyone get pissed off at me, but In Desolation kinda was a letdown for me. From the bottom was a lot better. I think for me it was kinda just more of the same, so I kinda was waiting for something different to happen, and I got really bored by it.

jacknife737
12-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok I liked it, it's really good, don't anyone get pissed off at me, but In Desolation kinda was a letdown for me. From the bottom was a lot better. I think for me it was kinda just more of the same, so I kinda was waiting for something different to happen, and I got really bored by it.

I know some people who felt the same as you: but i reluctantly disagree: as much as i loved From the Bottom, i think the production upgrade for In Desolation made for a more enjoyable listening experience: plus Clear the Air has become my favorite song from them. But i do see where youre coming from: there really isn't a whole lot of diversity on the album.

Retard
12-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I mean for the most part there doesn't NEED to be a whole lot of complete diversity. I mean its a punk album, but at the same time, it just seemed too much like the next song almost like the same riff half the time. I haven't listened to it as much as From the Bottom, and I could be just missing out on stuff, but i remember when it came out it came out the same day as like two other things so i had bought all three the same day put it on once, and i didnt really listen to it again for like a month, and its been like 3 or 4 since the last time i did.

cool 2 hate 681
12-26-2010, 03:27 PM
i forgot the self titled album by street dogs i really enjoyed that one too

yarock
12-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I really don't know anything about most of the bands you're listening to.

As the final four days of the year approaches I'd like to make my own list.

6. Plastic Beach by Gorillaz

5. The Chaos by the Futureheads

4. Heligoland by Massive Attack

3. Going Back by Phil Collins

2. Head First by Goldfrapp

1. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

Retard
12-27-2010, 09:24 PM
That Futureheads album is really fucking good.

Rooster
12-29-2010, 02:11 PM
For me the best of this year is Iron Maiden: The Final Frontier. No questions here. Though it's not an easy listen, it's almost over-loaded with epicness. But it's deffinitely worth the effort. I'm not sure if it's my favorite album by them (now that the excitement over the fact it's new Maiden has worn off for good), but actually i have no favorite album by them, i can't really rank them from best to worst, especially their post-2000 material. It does have some of their best songs though, Starblind (holy fucking Christ that's amazing) and When The Wild Wind Blows immediately come to mind, and also Isle of Avalon, The Talisman and The Man Who Would Be King. Basically the whole second half of the album is a huge win.

Other than that, the new Bad Religion is deffinitely worth mentioning too.

coke_a_holic
12-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Okay, real list now:

15. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
14. Theodore - Hold You Like A Lover
13. Marnie Stern - Marnie Stern
12. Tim Kasher - The Game Of Monogamy
11. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks
10. The National - High Violet
9. John K. Samson - Provincial Road 222
8. Noumenon - Party Mathematics
7. Sufjan Stevens - All Delighted People
6. Eagle Scout - New Hands
5. The Wonder Years - The Upsides
4. Joie De Vivre - The North End
3. Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
2. Menomena - Mines
1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Yes!

jacknife737
12-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for reminding me i still need to check out the latest John Samson stuff.

Also, i'm pretty sure in my top ten, you could probably swap out the None More Black with the new Smoke or Fire: it's such a great album.

Retard
12-31-2010, 05:54 PM
OK I gotta finally do my favorite albums list. I'll do top 12 just to make it a lil more easy.

12. Ghosts on the Boardwalk by The Bouncing Souls (i bought it in 2009 cuz I saw them in NJ during the home for the holidays celebration, but it hit stores in 2010 so yea)
11. No One Deserves to be Here More Than Me by Blacklisted (I think it was originally released as vinyl only in 2009. Deathwish put out the CD in 2010. Really good, experimental hardcore.
10. Crazy For You by Best Coast. Great fuzzy happy go lucky love songs and a few about love lost. Songs about getting high, and hanging out with the one you love. All sung by this beautiful stoner who I would love to marry if I was only in California and she wasn't dating that asshole from WAVVVES.
9. American Slang by Gaslight Anthem. I like it a lot more than '59 Sound. I loved '59 Sound, so you can see how much better this one is. More focused, A FUCKING SOUL SONG! It seemed like the whole store I worked at played this nonstop for like 3 months, now the promo is missing though so we kinda forget about it.
8. Majesty Shredding by Superchunk. Listen to the first four songs and tell me this album isn't fucking genius and I might not punch you in the face, great poppy punk music, and I guess its the first album in eight years? Nice.
7. Volume 2 by She and Him. Zooey Deschanel your voice is amazing, and you've stepped up your song writing skills tenfold, Congrats Beautiful. Oh and hey M. Ward you're a badass too.
6. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West. Yea the dudes a goddamn genius, to quote Rza in So Appalled, THIS SHIT IS.... FUCKIN REDICULOUS!
5. Icons by None More Black. THEY'RE BACK!!!! I still like This is Satire better but this is a very close second. Faster and harder than This is Satire.
4. Contra by Vampire Weekend. This came out like the first week of January, I'm still playing it like it came out last week. Love this album, even if two goddamn adds playing holiday have been showing on my tv for almost 2 months.
3. We Chase the Waves by Sundowner. No its not 4152 but it's pretty close. It's lacking the backing vocals, and keyboards that helped change up the first but the songs are just as catchy and amazingly written, and this time around there aren't any covers even though the covers were from his other band.
2. How I Got Over by The Roots. The fucking Roots killed this fucking thing, I play it at least once a week in the store and if I don't there, I'm playing it at my house. Love this thing.
1. Rohnert Park by Ceremony. I had read review after review saying that their last album "still Nothing Moves you" was great, so I picked it up. I was a little underwhelmed by it, and I filed it away on my shelf kind of forgetting about it. Then One Day I get an email from the Bridge Nine mailing list saying that they had the pre-orders up for the new Ceremony album, you could get it on clear wax with a book, a free digital download, and a book with poems lyrics and explanations of those lyrics by the singer. my interest was peaked even though i had remembered not liking the other one figured eh why not. Well I'm glad I did. The album is great. Starts out with a surffy kinda intro and as the song goes on you hear this steady beat in the background that is pretty hard, and it starts to build with other instruments, and eventually being its own crazy intro and just rips into this long list of things that the singer can't stand about the world. The rest of the album is pretty headbanging to. From Open head to Back In 84, then there's the song "the Doldrums" about how shitty the suburbs can be. You get creepy instrumentals with weird monolouges about people witnessing their neighbors dying, and you get more ragers. If you like Hardcore, and you haven't heard this album well Sorry buddy you're missing out completely.

AP guy
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Stone Sour - Audio secrecy
Disturbed - Asylum
Linken Park - a thousand suns
Eminem - recovery
Bullet for my Valentine - Fevor
Sevendust - cold day memories

SMASHedTHEignition
01-17-2011, 05:39 AM
british india
Avalanche. 2010

Retard
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Anyone have anything they like so far this year?
New Electric Wizard is pretty awesome, that Cobra Skulls EP is cool. Still gotta grab that Lemuria album.

jacknife737
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Really like the new Cobra Skulls ep: Life In Vain is slowly becoming one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Old Man Markely's Fat Wreck debut "Guts in Teeth" is fantastic, and i won't be surprised if it ends up on my 2011 top ten. They play bluegrass/country/folk, with a hint of punk: awesome stuff, even though it's not the kind of thing you'd expect to see on Fat. Nor is it a record that i would have imagined myself liking: but the songs are just so damn catchy.

"For Better or for Worse" - Old Man Markley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdpyBnCa5U

Retard
01-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I really wanna hear that fuckin Old Man Markley album. My store, didn't get either that or the Cobra Skulls ep this week, I went to a store in Boston, and they were out of the OMM one. I was pretty pissed. I'll get it this week. But yea For Better For Worse is a great song.

dff_punk
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Old Man Markley do really produce an interesting, uplifting brand of music. The album though did not quite live up to my expectations after I heard the single. Maybe I just need to listen to it more , and listen to more hilbilly music!

jacknife737
01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Old Man Markley do really produce an interesting, uplifting brand of music. The album though did not quite live up to my expectations after I heard the single. Maybe I just need to listen to it more , and listen to more hilbilly music!

Give it a couple more listens, a few of the songs took repeat listens for them to click with me. Though, i think this type of music may not be for some: i mean, if you told me a couple years ago that i'd be listening to this, i'd tell you were crazy.

Retard
01-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Gotta say that i wasn't the most impressed with that OMM album.... i gotta listen to it a few more times I think to really get it. It was good, but it just didn't click with me. I'll try to listen to it a few more times before giving it a full review...... kicking myself still for not picking up the Lemuria album.

randman21
02-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Just saw Old Man Markley in concert! I came for NOFX and Bouncing Souls and had no idea OMM was going to be there. When I heard the name, I was failing to remember where I'd just heard about this band, but as soon as they started to play, I remembered. This thread. :D They put on a great show.

RageAndLov
02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm late but here's the best of 2010. Didn't listen to too many new albums, I rather focused on older albums which I hadn't got myself to listen to yet:

1. Blood Command - Ghost Clocks
2. Matt & Kim - Sidewalks
3. Hot Hot Heat - Future Breeds
4. Classics of Love - Art of the Underground #49
5. Southside Stranglers - Too Much TV
6. Eminem - Recovery
7. My Chemical Romance - Danger Days
8. Amy MacDonald - A Curious Thing

Retard
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Charles Bradley's debut album No Time For Dreaming, is fucking sooo good. The dude is 62 years old, he worked as a carpenter before he got discovered by Daptone. Will probably be in my top ten of the year. Great American Soul music. Highly recommended to anyone who likes music.

jacknife737
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
These albums actually came out last year, but i just picked them up the other day:

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Not exactly the kind of stuff i usually listen too, but this is a great album.

Heartsounds - Until We Surrender
Awesome stuff, remind me a bit o A Whilhelm Scream at times. Hopefully Mr Brett keeps signing bands like these and OWTH to Epitaph.

cool 2 hate 681
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Heartsounds - Until We Surrender
Awesome stuff, remind me a bit of A Whilhelm Scream at times. Hopefully Mr Brett keeps signing bands like these and OWTH to Epitaph.

i agree until we surrender is a really great album and unfortunately his last two signings were letlive and alesana :(

Retard
02-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Mr. Brett has to make money somewhere..... why not cash in a lil. That LCD soundsystem album is really good. Have you checked out the BBC sessions? pretty awesome.

That album by Yuck is growing on me.

jacknife737
02-19-2011, 03:13 AM
The new Chixdiggit EP is pretty good, especially that Swedish Rat song. Those dudes know how to write catchy hooks.

And the new Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies is good as well, i'm hoping they tour somewhere near me soon.

i agree until we surrender is a really great album and unfortunately his last two signings were letlive and alesana :(

I guess he has to pay the bills somehow, but hopefully for ever shit band he signs now, he'll make up for it by putting out a good record.

Mr. Brett has to make money somewhere..... why not cash in a lil. That LCD soundsystem album is really good. Have you checked out the BBC sessions? pretty awesome.

That album by Yuck is growing on me.

Haven't heard the bbc sessions yet, but i'll make a point to do so.

Retard
02-20-2011, 07:37 PM
The Gimme Gimmes ep is great! everytime I put it on someone picks it up, its insane how that happens. They were great last november.

Anyone hear the new Mogwai yet? pretty killer shit.

jacknife737
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Red City Radio - The Dangers of Standing Still

So freaking good. If you like bands that sound similar to hot water music and lots of gang vocals, check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjZgrFNNF8

New Dropkick Murphys next week: and then new Screeching Weasels the week after.

Outerspaceman21
02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm late on this, but I'm gonna add the 2010 Cancer Bats album to my list. At first, didn't really like it, but it grew on me and I really dig it now. Good shit.

jacknife737
03-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Picking up the new Dropkick Murphy's tomorrow.

Anyways, here's a couple albums that actually came out last year, but are pretty good, so i thought i'd give them a mention.

Cheap Girls - My Roaring 20s

Probably my favorite new band at the moment: incredibly catchy tunes with ; if you're in your early 20s, a university student/recent graduate who's feeling pretty apathetic, this will be the soundtrack to your life. Sonically, they're similar to 90s power pop, but with more of a punk tinge.

Song: Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSqnl7ml2Fo

Shook Ones - The Unquotable A.M.H

Melodic hardcore: aggressive, yet surprisingly catchy.

Song: Who Told Omar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_tFYBcjJYA

Two Cow Garage - Sweet Saint Me

Alt-Country/Cowpunk: think if Lucero played just a little bit faster. Such good stuff.

Song: Sally I've Been Shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrx2H_iPE

ida25xang
03-08-2011, 12:56 AM
My favorite song is "Ring my Bell". Have a big collection of Enrique Iglesias's songs and this song is one of them. I love this song especially the music of this song is very nice.

Retard
03-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Tyler the Creator album coming out is gonna be pretty dope. The two singles already out are fuckin bomb, lookin forward to the whole thing. Then gettin blizzed and rockin out.

Rooster
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
New Social Distortion. No contest here if you ask me.

Outerspaceman21
03-14-2011, 03:19 PM
New Social Distortion. No contest here if you ask me.

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised at the new social d. Really good and it is a big contender for my favorite album of the year.

jacknife737
03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of the new Social Distortion album: love the vocals especially. Probably a strong contender for my top 10, although considering we're not even at the half way point for the year, can't make any predictions.

Plan on checking out the new Screeching Weasels album soon.

Retard
03-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Probably grabbin that tomorrow.
Was not really impressed with the Social D.

Rooster
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of the new Social Distortion album: love the vocals especially.

Same here, the vocals are awesome, Mike Ness has the talent to make just about any song sound so badass. But what really makes it so great for me is the overall vibe, the sound of the album. And i love the guitar work, especially the solos, they fit perfectly into the songs.

This'll be a great album for listening to during the hot summer days.

Too bad i couldn't find the version with bonus tracks here, i bought the regular album instead. I downloaded those 2 bonus tracks, and they should have been on the album as regular songs, if you ask me.

Far Side of Nowhere is the only weak track in my opinion, i just can't get into it. The rest is great :)

Retard
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Had the Screeching Weasel album on hold at work, then someone asked about it, so i fucking let the dude have it. Bought the new Trap Them album "Darker Handcraft" fucking destroys.

jacknife737
03-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Screeching Weasels - First World Manifesto

So Ben Weasel is sort of a dick, it's nothing new, but he doesn't pull any punches here. He attacks (in a light hearted way) a lot of bands and scenes that i enjoy: particularly with the songs Little Big Man, and Follow Your Leaders. Still, i can't help but love a contrarian: and the songs are insanely catchy.

I enjoy this record very much.

cool 2 hate 681
03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Was not really impressed with the Social D.

me either i liked sex love and rock and roll much better

Rooster
03-17-2011, 12:22 PM
me either i liked sex love and rock and roll much better

I agree, Sex Love and Rock and Roll might be a better album. That said, i still enjoy the new one a whole lot, actually i enjoy it more than i thought it would. But hey, to each their own.

I do hope the next album comes a bit sooner than in 7 years though, i'm getting more and more into them :)

Vezella22
03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Great post !!!!!thanks for useful post, I really nice and informative thread,,,,,
best regards
kajal,,:eek::cool:

Retard
03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
does this board really get that much spam??? damn guys, you gotta stop illegally downloading so much shit.

New Black Joe Lewis is pretty bomb. I like the new Screeching Weasel. Only heard it a few times yet. That Chixdiggit EP is definitely gonna be in my top ten EP's of the year.

jacknife737
03-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Dave Hause - Resolutions

So the punk frontman doing a solo acoustic thing isn't anything original, but this album is still pretty good and it manages to bring some originality to the table to boot. Folky at times, touches on bits of alt-country too: solid stuff.

C'mon Kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I11nfsOS6iY&feature=related

cool 2 hate 681
03-19-2011, 12:27 PM
the new screeching weasel is really good probably my favorite of the year so far

i also really liked resolutions by dave hause

I agree, Sex Love and Rock and Roll might be a better album. That said, i still enjoy the new one a whole lot, actually i enjoy it more than i thought it would. But hey, to each their own.

I do hope the next album comes a bit sooner than in 7 years though, i'm getting more and more into them :)

it would be a shame if it took another seven years for them to release a new album

Retard
03-19-2011, 09:35 PM
That Dave Hause record is great.

jacknife737
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
the new screeching weasel is really good probably my favorite of the year so far

i also really liked resolutions by dave hause

That Dave Hause record is great.

This is why i like you guys.

Retard
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I like you to man.... seem like a fun dude.

Not anything ground breaking, but the new Aggrolites album is pretty fun.

Retard
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Just heard the new FUcked Up song..... fucking christ its good.

Retard
04-01-2011, 11:28 PM
hahaha damn i'm third in a row.... who fucking cares though. About halfway through the new World/Inferno, LOVING the fucking sax, and horns! This is gonna be in my top ten if not top five for sure. Its different from their other ones, it's slower, but it still has that World/inferno sound, and Jack's voice is as creepy and smooth as always.

jacknife737
04-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Teenage Bottlerocket - Mutilate Me Ep.

Really good: three incredibly catchy tunes: all i've ever wanted or needed from these dudes.

The title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5P3ULfP7_0

Alison
04-13-2011, 03:59 AM

Really good: three incredibly catchy tunes: all i've ever wanted or needed from these dudes.

Oh, didn't realise they had a new album, must get it! The title track sounds great

RageAndLov
04-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Sorry, but that song was utterly horrible!

jacknife737
04-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Oh, didn't realise they had a new album, must get it! The title track sounds great

It just came out yesterday.

Alison
04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Ah right, yes, this could explain why I didn't know!

Retard
04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
fucking christ i hate how shitty the vinyl selection is at my store.... gotta grab that Teenage Bottlerocket ep from the fat site.... even though I'm not the biggest fan of the first pour habit album, i'll probably grab it to check it out.

Just pre-ordered the deluxe edition. double LP, cd, t-shirt, bonus 7" whole digital download, a couple of bonus remixes. badass. I think Itll be one of the best of the years for me.

jacknife737
04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
I picked up the new Pour Habit this morning. After a first listen, it's alright, i sort of liked their first album a little more. Hoping the new one will grow on me.

Rooster
04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
After giving it a few spins i can say the new Foo Fighters album is deffinitely on my list of this year's top albums (well, so far at least). Now, coming from a dude who didn't think Foo Fighters are any more than a "meh" band, that's saying something.

Sure, it's poppy, radio-friendly post-grunge/alternative rock, but unlike so many other bands who don't deserve to get mentioned alongside Foo Fighters it is good post-grunge. It's fun to listen to.

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I agree. "Wasting Light" is already my favorite album of the year so far, and may be my new favorite Foos album ever. The entire record is solid, with the standouts being "Bridges Burning", "Arlandria", "I Should've Known" and "Walk".

Rooster
04-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I agree. "Wasting Light" is already my favorite album of the year so far, and may be my new favorite Foos album ever. The entire record is solid, with the standouts being "Bridges Burning", "Arlandria", "I Should've Known" and "Walk".

Good picks, pretty much the same as mines, except i would put Rope instead of Walk, and add Dear Rosemary. Basically the only weak tracks for me are Back & Forth, A Matter of Time and Miss the Misery, but not really because the songs themselves would be weak, it has more to do with their placement, i think they don't really work placed next to eachother. Makes that section of the album a bit dull for me. As standalone tracks however they are pretty good.

What i also like about the album is the fact that you get the sense that the band is having a lot of fun, and they aren't being too serious about themselves or have heads up their asses. Gotta love Dave's attitude.

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Most of the comfortable-ness probably comes from recording at Dave's house. Doesn't get much more comfortable than that! haha

coke_a_holic
04-16-2011, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsLUYzKGlZA

This album is going to be seriously awesome.

Retard
04-16-2011, 09:50 PM
that was pretty awesome........ some dude bought their last one today on vinyl i was sooo pissed that i didn't know we had it.

WebDudette
04-17-2011, 02:18 AM
I went out today looking for the Record Store Day limited-release of the album only to find out that there were only 250 prints and that it was only sold in three stores. I missed the online sale because I was out looking for it. Then I ended up getting it, because the Deathwish physical store put their leftovers online. I lucked out on that one, so psyched.

I can't wait for this new album, I want to know if there is a pre-order or something, but haven't seen anything yet.

WebDudette
04-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Also, whatever year the new Circle Takes the Square album comes out, it will be the best album of that year.

Outerspaceman21
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I just got the new Pour Habit and I like it. Best album of the year, maybe not, but it's really good.

jacknife737
04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I just got the new Pour Habit and I like it. Best album of the year, maybe not, but it's really good.

Favorite from it song at the moment? I'm really enjoying tomahawk.

Outerspaceman21
04-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Favorite from it song at the moment? I'm really enjoying tomahawk.

At the moment, I'm really digging Greenery. The chorus is pretty catchy.

RageAndLov
04-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I've always thought that Pour Habit sounds like Offspring trying to play hardcore.

jacknife737
04-19-2011, 04:54 AM
So i'm really not into "electronica", but i'm absolutely loving the soundtrack to Hanna, which was scored by the Chemical Brothers.

The Devil In the Beats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJEi7xAjkg0

Escape 700
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQY0Si3dBo

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-19-2011, 06:42 AM
That soundtrack was amazing. too bad the movie wasnt

Retard
04-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Fuck All Y'ALL the best albums are the year are gonna be Hotsaucecommitteepart2 and David Comes To Life.... no Questions

jacknife737
04-22-2011, 05:26 PM
^ Dude, you have no idea how excited I am for the new Beastie Boys album. Loving the new single.

Picked up Elway's new Passing Days EP today. Solid stuff: and i can't wait for their new full length that's coming out next month. They used to be called 10-4 Elenor but renamed themselves due to complications with the name. Their sound is melodic punk, along the lines of Dillinger Four, Dopamines, the Sidekicks.

RageAndLov
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
The new album from Black Lips ought to be good.

Retard
04-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Dude I spent fucking almost ninety dollars on the deluxe double vinyl edition. The passion pit remix of Make Some Noise is good, but there isn't a day where I haven't listened to the actual one yet. after this coltrane cd is over thats what I'm gonna do.

jacknife737
04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
The new Beasties short film "Fight For Your Right - Revisited" is just too much awesome: so many cameos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evA-R9OS-Vo

Retard
04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
hell yea dude, watched it this morning. Comedy Central had it on pretty late.

StayInTheHouseCarl
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
My favorite part of that video is the Arrested Development nod with Will Arnett. Oh Come On!

jacknife737
04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Picked up a bunch of new stuff yesterday.

Laura Stevenson and the Cans - Sit Resist

They really aren't the type of stuff that i usually listen to, but this album is phenomenal. Sort of like the Weakerthans meets Tegan and Sara.

Song: Master of Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeH2-XA1k6Q

The Gateway District - Perfects Gonna Fall

From members of the Soviettes and Banner Pilot: they play a sort of "ramones-core" style, similar to Screeching Weasel or Teenage Bottlerocket

Song: Run Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNmPU3hGo8

Swingin' Utters - Here, Under Protest

This one took a couple listens to grow on me. Initially i felt all the best songs were on the EP that preceded the release of this album, but i'm not so sure now. Songs like "Kick It Over" (which is heavily influenced from 50s Surf Rock) really started to shine through. Great stuff.

Song: Brand New Lungs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_8f-2UpLkY

Chris Angel
04-29-2011, 05:12 AM
For me the best albums of the year so far are:
1.The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
2.Beastie Boys new album...!!!

Retard
04-30-2011, 10:05 PM
American Slang was last year..... but it WAS pretty fucking awesome.

Offspring-Junkie
05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd have to choose between Rise Against and Social Distortion. Bad Times and Nursery Rhymes by Social D is a good album, probably the best of the year so far. Mike Ness is still great.

Outerspaceman21
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I'd have to choose between Rise Against and Social Distortion. Bad Times and Nursery Rhymes by Social D is a good album, probably the best of the year so far. Mike Ness is still great.

agreed. My favorite so far. Very good album.

Retard
05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
thread finished now........ HotSauceCommitteepart2 is fucking SIIIIICK

that is all.

coke_a_holic
05-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm so disappointed with most of the music from this year... A lot of albums I was looking forward to weren't so good. Specifically, the new Okkervil River. I might be over this band and that really bums me out.

jacknife737
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Didn't get a chance to pick up HotSauceCommittee Pt 2 today, but i plan on getting it tomorrow: anticipation is killing me.

I did pick up Elway's new full length "Delusions" and it's really good: will most likely be in my top 10 this year.

Retard
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Already on spin number three of this mutherfucker.....

jacknife737
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
New Beastie Boys is insanely good.

It may take them like 6 years to make an album, but it's worth the wait.

Retard
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
haha hell yea. granted I don't get why people don't count the Mix-Up. I fucking love that album. Supposedly they recorded like 30 some odd songs for this one, and this is Part 2.... maybe one of these days we'll see part 1.

jacknife737
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Face to Face - Laugh Now Laugh Later

I really haven't listened to these guys since Big Choice, so my expectations weren't really all that high: but this is surprisingly good. They didn't try and reinvent the genre: just made a bunch of fast catchy tunes.