PDA

View Full Version : Weezer on Epitaph

Alex101
08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Weezer has signed to Epitaph and is putting out another album called Hurley on September 14th.

http://www.punknews.org/article/39332

cool 2 hate 681
08-05-2010, 12:12 PM
another big signing for epitaph and the album will be released on my birthday

Lord Phidias
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I think this is nice and positive.

ThunderPX
08-05-2010, 01:23 PM
FUCK I CAME HERE ESPECIALLY TO POST THIS

Anyway, up until now, for all seventeen years of my life, I have refused to have low expectations for any band's new work simply based on their most recent efforts, and was often supported by positive press on the new release.

Raditude has broken me, and I refuse to be excited for this until I hear some of it.

Alex101
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
another big signing for epitaph and the album will be released on my birthday
Well, luck you, man!

jacknife737
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I think if you took the best songs from their last three or so records and released it as a single album, you'd have their best work to date.

This is pretty interesting news for the fact, as far as i can tell, this is one of the biggest band's to return to an indie label, while they were still in their prime. Mr. Brett did pretty well for himself here.

Sort of makes you wonder what other biggish bands like the Offspring or Green Day might do once they end their current record contracts.

ThunderPX
08-05-2010, 03:29 PM
A while ago I heard the Offspring extended their contract, but I'm not sure how accurate that information was. As for Green Day, I really doubt they'd go back to a small label. They're doing very well for themselves and have indicated on multiple occasions that they really don't give a shit about indie cred.

Back to Weezer, Rolling Stone has this (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/188927) to say about the new album. Also, Rivers has confirmed Pinkerton Deluxe, Alone III and a compilation of unreleased full-band material to be released soon. I'd give you guys a source on that but allthingsweezer.com just crashed.

Llamas
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Honestly, Weezer fans annoy me. The Blue Album was awesome, as was Pinkerton. I agree. But then the Green Album came out, and all anyone did was bitch about how much better the first two were. Then Maladroit came and it was the same. Then Make Believe came and everyone complained about how great their first four albums were. Then the last two came (which I genuinely didn't like), and now you hear nothing bad about the Green Album or Maladroit, and very little bad about Make Believe.

I realize how much people loved their first two albums... they were excellent records. But their fans just come off as sounding like such pretentious, spoiled idiots. Personally, I like everything from the Blue Album to Make Believe. The newest two just don't do it for me at all, though.

But that might just be because I've sort of outgrown Weezer. I still throw them on occasionally, but I generally don't desire to listen to more than one song at a time. So that could be why I haven't really listened to the new stuff.

Llamas
08-05-2010, 03:38 PM
A while ago I heard the Offspring extended their contract, but I'm not sure how accurate that information was. As for Green Day, I really doubt they'd go back to a small label. They're doing very well for themselves and have indicated on multiple occasions that they really don't give a shit about indie cred.

I don't think Jacknife was implying this is something that might happen anytime soon... just that, bands like Offspring and Green Day will eventually lose steam and fame, and they'll either break up then or switch to a small label. If the choose the latter, it could be interesting to see what they do from there.

nieh
08-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Outside of a small handful of songs that rose a bit above the rest, everything they've done post-Pinkerton has ranged from mediocre but inoffensive fluff like the Green Album, to outright crap, like Beverly Hills.

jacknife737
08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't think Jacknife was implying this is something that might happen anytime soon... just that, bands like Offspring and Green Day will eventually lose steam and fame, and they'll either break up then or switch to a small label. If the choose the latter, it could be interesting to see what they do from there.

You're right, i'm not claiming that either band would be planning on doing this anytime soon, i'm just wondering if they've considered it.

Now to slightly clarify my stance:

The decline in popularity certainly can play a role in moving to an indie.

However, in the age of the internet, the difference between what a major and indie label can provide for their artists is shrinking. Radio stations will still want to play a new Offspring or Green Day song, even though a major label PR team isn't pushing it since they've already established themselves as artists. And one of the biggest "buzz" bands in the US right now is the Gaslight Anthem, they're getting tons of radio play, articles in the New York Times and The Guardian being written about them: their music gets played during baseball and hockey games, and is even used on a couple shows on ESPN: and they've done this while being on Side One Dummy, which is an indie label.

I'm not saying that an indie label is necessarily the best way to go for some bands, but that being on a major in 2010 certainly isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see if other bands follow Weezer's example.

cool 2 hate 681
08-05-2010, 08:11 PM
they are playing a free show at huntington beach pier on saturday there will be a web cast of it here http://usopenofsurfing.com/

Lord Phidias
08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
You're right, i'm not claiming that either band would be planning on doing this anytime soon, i'm just wondering if they've considered it.

Now to slightly clarify my stance:

The decline in popularity certainly can play a role in moving to an indie.

However, in the age of the internet, the difference between what a major and indie label can provide for their artists is shrinking. Radio stations will still want to play a new Offspring or Green Day song, even though a major label PR team isn't pushing it since they've already established themselves as artists. And one of the biggest "buzz" bands in the US right now is the Gaslight Anthem, they're getting tons of radio play, articles in the New York Times and The Guardian being written about them: their music gets played during baseball and hockey games, and is even used on a couple shows on ESPN: and they've done this while being on Side One Dummy, which is an indie label.

I'm not saying that an indie label is necessarily the best way to go for some bands, but that being on a major in 2010 certainly isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see if other bands follow Weezer's example.

My post doesn't relate at all to this thread, but I just wanted to tell you, jacknife, that every time I read one of your posts, I hear Hank Hill's voice in my head, do you look or speak like him?

---

Can't wait for the new Weezer's album to be released, such as The Off's!!

Omni
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
My post doesn't relate at all to this thread, but I just wanted to tell you, jacknife, that every time I read one of your posts, I hear Hank Hill's voice in my head, do you look or speak like him?

---

That voice was even better when his avatar was Butters. I get (or got) the same way about Endymion with Clint Eastwood.

Lord Phidias
08-05-2010, 09:31 PM
That voice was even better when his avatar was Butters. I get (or got) the same way about Endymion with Clint Eastwood.

XD - I don't know why, for me it only works with Hank Hill, or "Héctor Reyes", the spanish translation for Hank Hill...

findout5
08-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I have a feeling this is a great thing.

Retard
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I still have to rebuy it but I fucking LOVE maladroit. I let my friend have it during my "if it's not punk it sucks" mentality (wow was i an idiot). but I havent heard all of pinkerton, or the green album. I enjoy the red and raditude. but make believe is utter shit.... i will say that.

I personally am excited to hear what comes next

jacknife737
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM

---

Ha! Well, I hope that makes my posts more enjoyable to read: sadly i look and sound nothing like Hank in real life.

ThunderPX
08-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Radio rip of Memories: http://www.mediafire.com/?f364dc5ftqe71ql

jacknife737
08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Radio rip of Memories: http://www.mediafire.com/?f364dc5ftqe71ql

Hmmm, i don't exactly hate it. Pretty catchy actually, especially the chorus.

Cheers for uploading.

ThunderPX
08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Not my upload though, stole it off some guy on allthingsweezer.com. Where they're, of course, going crazy.

cool 2 hate 681
08-08-2010, 06:42 PM
looks like im too late the file has been deleted:(

ThunderPX
08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/39699-weezer-reveal-ridiculous-album-cover/

Well played, Cuolmes. Well played.

Retard
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
So hilarious

findout5
08-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Memories soundas not like what I'd like it to sound. Sounds like a not released b-side passing as a 1st single...

cool 2 hate 681
09-06-2010, 10:16 PM
it has leaked:)

Retard
09-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Well you'll have to tell us.... i'm gonna be a patient person and wait til it comes out to hear it.

dff_punk
09-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Downloaded it, the first thing that struck me is, why would they put a Coldplay cover on an album? I will write my opinion when I listen to the whole thing, did not listen to all songs yet.

ThunderPX
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Downloaded it, the first thing that struck me is, why would they put a Coldplay cover on an album? I will write my opinion when I listen to the whole thing, did not listen to all songs yet.

Because bonus tracks are bonus tracks.

dff_punk
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Ah, on my download it does not say which ones are bonuses and which ones are regular. Okay then.

EDIT: Wow, there is not a single track on the album which I genuinely dislike. Odd. But it might change.

jacknife737
09-08-2010, 01:11 PM
It's a collection of (mostly) catchy pop songs. That's all i ever wanted from Weezer.

A couple lyrics are cringe-worthy though (glances at Where's My Sex), but i think it's easily their best since Maldroit.

findout5
09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Heard it in full.Had high hopes, even though the single and the cover sucked. Very bubblegum like. Shit production. CRINGED when I heard the Coldplay cover!
WTF Weezer?!?

dff_punk
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
The Coldplay cover is a bonus track, (probably) recorded live. So no need to cringe about that. My most favorite from this one is currently "Ruling Me".

jacknife737
09-09-2010, 06:54 AM
They should have included their Brain Stew cover, which i think was recorded at the same session as the coldplay one. It's really different from the original.

ThunderPX
09-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Brain Stew was from the AOL sessions I think, Viva la Vida wasn't on there.

Anyway, in true Weezer fashion, the first ten tracks are the album, the rest is bonus tracks. And hell, be glad the bonus tracks are actually the odd ones out this time, instead of having them be better than half the actual album like on the last two releases.

While I agree the production isn't that great, it's at least miles ahead of Make Believe, Raditude and Green.
At any rate, I'd trade production values for the better songwriting we get here; according to band interviews, Rivers purposely did everything as quickly as possible because overthinking and overproducing are apparently what fucked up the previously mentioned albums.

Also, I liked Where's My Sex for two reasons; one, Rivers wrote it after his daughter mispronounced "socks", and two, it's hilarious because of the more literal interpretation that Rivers finally settles down and still isn't getting any.

Actually, here's a third interpretation: Someone should make a music video for the song featuring clips from this South Park episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eek,_a_Penis!).

Retard
09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
What Coldplay song do they do? that sounds awesome!

ThunderPX
09-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Viva la Vida, but it sounds like anus.

dff_punk
09-10-2010, 07:21 PM
They did not do nothing new or interesting with it, they just plainly covered it.

Retard
09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
that sounds pretty fuckin awesome. shit i'm gonna have ta find that then. Viva La Vida = amazing album/great song

findout5
09-12-2010, 05:07 AM
What I don't get is why they're playing that crappy song instead of doing for instance a full blown-out cover of Don't worry baby!

Viva la pila, bitches!

Alex101
09-15-2010, 04:39 PM
According to Rivers, the band is already working on another album

http://www.nme.com/news/weezer/52975

jacknife737
09-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Holy shit.... this band's productivity is insane: i mean, they've already put out an album per year since like 2008.

Retard
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I like Hurley.... I might pick it up soon I think.

I heard that one of the planned albums is gonna be a b-sides thing.... could be wrong though.

ThunderPX
09-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, their next album is gonna be unfinished songs from all over their career, but Rivers is considering it their next studio album since he had to add so much new stuff to the songs. It's called Death to False Metal. :P

Offspring-Junkie
01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
I love the song "Memories". It's awesome.