PDA

View Full Version : Lollapalooza 2010

Omni
08-09-2010, 11:55 PM
I went to the Saturday and Sunday shows. Even though this isn't about any band in general, I decided to post it in other bands. I hope that's alright.

Well, the Saturday was pretty rockin'. I got there in time to see most of Social Distortion's set. Despite the fact that these guys were instrumental to the Offspring's formation and success, I never really gave them a chance. After Saturday's show, I think I'll be buying a couple albums. Mike Ness spoke of the new album coming out on Epitaph, talked a little about Johnny Cash, they just had a pretty good time up there. All in all, they put on a worthy show. After that came Green Day. Oh my sweet Jesus did they put on a show. After they came onstage, even though the crowd was already dick to sphincter, everyone surged and you got ten feet closer to the stage whether it was possible or not. They had an amazing amount of energy and insane crowd participation. Most of the songs they played were from American Idiot (they played almost the whole damn album), but they played all of their hits except three (J.A.R, Welcome to Paradise, and Warning). They even played a couple of pre-Dookie songs for the more dedicated fans (take note, Offspring).

The only problem I had with the show was that Billie Joe would chant something like "heeeey-oooooh!" before every song (while requesting the crowd to do the same) to get everyone pumped and into the mood. This was a pretty cool little gimmick, but it would carry on sometimes for minutes, and it just got pretty old after the first half hour. I felt like it was more style than substance. They couldn't make it through even a single song without chopping it up like that. Again, it was a good tool to get the people excited, I only thought it was a tad overused. They invited plenty of people on the stage to sing and dance with them, one guy even came up and sang the entirety of Longview, hugged and kissed Billie Joe, and got a guitar for it. Pretty awesome night. People can say what they want about Green Day and selling out, becoming pussies, and every other cliche insult in the book, but the high energy punk ethos are still in them. Not to mention plenty of pyrotechnics, lights, and fireworks. Very satisfying.

Sunday we got there late. The entire reason I went to Lollapalooza was to see Soundgarden, and be a part of their first non-fan club show since 1997, so we at least made it in time for that, we just got shitty standing places. However, they didn't put on a very good show. they didn't play their new song, they didn't respond to the crowd at all (Cornell spoke maybe four times while not singing, mostly just "thank you very much, glad to be here again"). They played a decent setlist, VERY happy about 4th of July, and Slaves & Bulldozers being played. But at the end of their set, they walked off stage without even a goodbye. But to be fair, the crowd wasn't very good for them either. It was obvious many except the first few rows were unacquainted with anyting but the hits, and there wasn't much energy from the crowd for the band to draw from. All in all, I think they were just kind of disappointed for the lukewarm reception. Cornell was also a little off on some songs, but he performed the closer Slaves & Bulldozers AMAZINGLY, as well as Like Suicide. Black Hole Sun was the only song that flat out sucked, with Spoonman teetering on the border. He didn't belt out many high notes at all, something that highly dampers his live performances, I think.

I was just very disheartened by the amount of people leaving early, and disappointed at how everyone was all too eager to leave at the end. They crowd wasn't feeling it, so the band decided to not give a shit. I have never seen a band just leave without even so much as a goodbye. I hope their smaller venue shows fared much better. No energy or reaction from the stage or ground, I'm really sorry that they didn't receive the stage bum rush that Green Day did.

So did anyone else go? What did you guys think?

Edit: I got late enough Sunday to hear the end Cypress Hill's overpowering performance on the adjacent stage. I really regret not getting to see them after what little I heard. Amazing sound, they even had Snoop Dogg and Tom Morello(!) make guest appearances. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

jacknife737
08-10-2010, 03:58 AM
You should definitely check out Social D: you can't really go wrong checking out any album, all of them are great.

As for Green Day, even though they're so much fun live, and put a crazy amount of effort into it, some of it has come to feel a bit forced: i mean the "hey hey hey" and "woah-oh" chants are getting to be way too predictable, it seems almost formulaic. Also, did the whole band play Warning, or was it just Billie on acoustic? It's nice that they're starting to play the few odd songs off Warning/Nimrod these days, and very cool that they played JAR.

I'd go see Green Day/AFI this august, but i don't feel like paying what they're asking for the tickets.

Omni
08-10-2010, 12:57 PM
No no, you missread me. They played all their big hits EXCEPT J.A.R, Warning, and Welcome to Paradise. The only Warning: song they played was Minority.

I guess that was my problem with the "hey ohs." It's a nice little tool to use at the beginning to get everyone pumped and primed, but I'm confident they did that probably slightly more than they actually played music.

And another thing, the band seems almost ashamed of every Warning: song except Minority and Warning. Warning: is a very overlooked album. It has some of the best typical Green Day songs you'll find on any Green Day album (Warning, Minority, Castaway, Goddamn Castaway, Macy's Day Parade) and has some offbeat songs that are even better than most standard Green Day tunes if you give them a shot. If I were lucky enough to be called onstage, I'd have to request that they played Misery. That's probably my favorite on the record.

jacknife737
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
No no, you missread me. They played all their big hits EXCEPT J.A.R, Warning, and Welcome to Paradise. The only Warning: song they played was Minority.

I guess that was my problem with the "hey ohs." It's a nice little tool to use at the beginning to get everyone pumped and primed, but I'm confident they did that probably slightly more than they actually played music.

And another thing, the band seems almost ashamed of every Warning: song except Minority and Warning. Warning: is a very overlooked album. It has some of the best typical Green Day songs you'll find on any Green Day album (Warning, Minority, Castaway, Goddamn Castaway, Macy's Day Parade) and has some offbeat songs that are even better than most standard Green Day tunes if you give them a shot. If I were lucky enough to be called onstage, I'd have to request that they played Misery. That's probably my favorite on the record.

Ah, gotcha: sorry for misreading.

And i totally agree about Warning: it is by far my favorite release by them: the lyrics are amazing. My favorite cuts from it are Blood Sex and Booze, Church on Sunday, and Macy's Day Parade (a song, i really, really wish they'd end their concerts with).

I think initially the band was proud of Warning, but got really taken back by their fans and general public's initial reaction which was tepid at best: so this left a pretty bad aftertaste towards playing the songs live. Which is a fucking shame, since they sound fantastic live, their Tune In Tokyo EP proves that.

Omni
08-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I guess it did sell pretty poorly. I think the critics thought highly of it, though. It's one of the four Green Day albums I physically own.

Anyway, Green Day kicked ass, Soundgarden wasn't so great, and Social D was pretty good. I guess the lack of replies say either no one else went or has an opinion of it.

cool 2 hate 681
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
i watched social d on the webcast and i agree they were pretty good at lollapalooza

tayluhhx3
08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
I wanted to go so badly for Social D. They are one of my favorite bands! You should definitely check them out! White Light, White Heat, White Trash & Sex, Love & Rock N Roll are two of my favorite albums from them if that helps.
They are playing in Chicago on October 20th, I hope I make it to this one.