PDA

View Full Version : When did you hear your first The Offspring Song?

Anika0110
08-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you know when you hear The Offspring for the first time and how old you were then?

I was 8 years old and were at my grandparents`house in 1994. My oldest cousin was watching MTV. That was the first time I watched a clip of the Offspring. It was Self Esteem. Since then Im a huge fan.

thedork649
08-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I first heard the Kids Arent Alright and I was like wow that suits meh! and Then I looked them up and have 2 cd's now:D

skitogg
08-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I heard my first Offspring songs when I was about 2, but I remember listening to Americana all the time in the car with my dad when I was 3.

lol, She's Got Tissues...

mynamewastaken
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
haha! i was still in the womb!

Alex101
08-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I was 5 years old when I heard the radio play "Come Out and Play". That's the first time I ever heard of The Offspring.

Lord Phidias
08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
First time I remember hearing them was in mtv, TKAA, but at that time I ddsn't pay attention to commercial music, my mom made me listen to jazz and clasical music and those kind of things... when they blew me away was when I saw OP video, the next day I went to buy mi first cd ever, CO1, after hearing it on its entirety, I became a fan. Then I bought the other records, and my favorite was Ignition, now I can't tell which one is.

holland25
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
1995, Gotta Get Away video. I was 8.

Jojan
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I heard Self Esteem on TV when I was young, but I don't know how old I was. I assume that it was around, or just after the video was released. What I remember is that I sung the intro part for a week or so and tried to watch MTV every now and then just so that I could hear it again.

Then I, of course, heard Pretty Fly (for a White Guy) and fif not like it at first because everybody sung it and sung it incorrectly. But then I changed my mind and heard that my sister were going to their concert so I asked my mother if I could go with her. That was nice.

dr.vanessa
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
in 1994 it was Self Esteem and i was 9 years old ..since then i've been a huge fan & will always be :cool:

dexter0
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
This happened about 6 years ago, I came to visit a friend and we had played in Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on the computer with the songs The Offspring. Then I did not know that it was them. played the album Smash and Americana. and now the songs The End Of A Line and Something To Believe In and It'll Be A Long Time, and Not The One reminds me of those days when I was quite young and has played in this game=)hehe)nostalgia;):)

samseby
08-17-2010, 01:32 PM
"Pretty fly" sure must have been my first one a couple of years ago (2001 I guess) but what really got me was "You're gonna go far kid" back when things were still working on youtube ...

My fav song (for now, at least) is "Want you bad" :)

randman21
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I always try to think about this, but I can never remember. I can't recall if it was 1998 or '99, or if it was "Pretty Fly" or "Why Don't You Get a Job?". All I know is that I wasn't all that into rock music then, and they helped push me into that direction, though I didn't become a huge Offspring fan until 6-7 years later.

Blitz!
08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
The song was Walla Walla, I remember being bored and doing some channel surfing and there they were ... The Offspring. I'm not sure which tour or what concert it was but it was some time in the '90s

I also have a vague memory of Self Esteem before Walla Walla but I still haven't figured out if this is real or me just wishing it was.

Tijs
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
For me it most likely was "Why Don't You Get A Job". I remember watching it on TV and later requesting it by phone and waiting for it to be aired again.

But I also remember kids singing Pretty Fly on the schoolyard, but I'm pretty sure it's WDYGAJ.

jacknife737
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
1998, was chillin at a friends "pool party", and the americana singles were on repeat on the stereo.

Outerspaceman21
08-17-2010, 02:37 PM
5 years old, I can remember the familiar sounds of Self-Esteem.

But I didn't know who the Offspring was until I was 9 when Pretty Fly came out.

tayluhhx3
08-17-2010, 04:05 PM
I was 10 years old and in the 5th grade, we had moved to a new house and I was channel surfing with my sister in which we stumbled upon the Hit That video. My sister bought the Splinter & Americana albums. Two years later we bought the Greatest Hits DVD, once I watched it in its entirety I fell in love. The rest is history.

joshgenis
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
first of all nice thread. ok so i was playing warcraft 3 like maybe 3-4 years ago and they make custom games on it and people can put there own music as well. the game i played had "staring at the sun" in the background. someone commented "this is a good song" and i agreed. this is when i was not into music at all and i needed to start finding music to run to, cause i wasnt motivated to work out. i found offspring like that and i got them to thank now for my love of running and getting in shape

Ryder1234
08-17-2010, 10:42 PM
It was around 01, I got a video game called Jeremy McGraths Supercross 2000 and it had Genocide as it's theme song, so that's where I first heard it. But I didn't become a fan until I got Greatest Hits :)

ArtificialLife
08-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Session, 1993. Friend's brother gave me a copy of Ignition on cassette. Never looked back!

Krojd
08-18-2010, 03:43 AM
1997 - All I Want, 8 years old.

Omni
08-18-2010, 03:47 AM
I have very vague memories of hearing Gotta Get Away from a copy of Smash my brother borrowed when I was very young (couldn't have been more than 7 or 8). The first song I clearly remember hearing was Original Prankster on the radio back when it was popular. That's the song that made me a fan.

Tompo2000
08-18-2010, 04:46 AM
I was 4 years old, my brother bought americana and I sometimes listened to it with him.

Ginger2008
08-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I was 14 years old when I first heard the song offspring. it was in 1998. and these were songs: All I want, Self esteem and Gotta Get away))):cool:

joshridesbikes199
08-18-2010, 05:36 PM
A couple years ago a friend played da hui for me from his ipod. Decided to look into the band and I got hooked.

Omni
08-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Anyone who can listen to Da Hui and be hooked after one listen is a true fan. I got eased into their more punk rock sound after hearing the more palatable songs like the aformentioned Original Prankster. Don't get me wrong, I always have loved the punk sound, but it's not the sound meant to grab attention.

mspunk13
08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
I probably heard my first Offspring song a long, long time ago (I've somehow known the melody for Pretty fly since I can remember), but the first time I heard them and I actually knew what I was listening to was in 2006, I was 15. The song was "Hit that" and it was on my sister's mixtape.

Walfri
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I remember I used to hate music when I was 6 or something like that..
but now I realize it was because my brothers just listen pop music and all those shits..
but once, I was watching some One Piece vids on youtube and I found a recopilation of the serie, and in the video there was a song that is really kick ass...but no one around me knew it, 'till a friend told me "ohh it's the offspring, and the song is called "Have you ever", and I started to download more songs, and then I got the albums and became a huge fan..XD

billionbrian
08-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow I remember this like it was yesterday. Me and 2 of my friends were in my back yard...1994 (I was 14) the new patio was just finished. Don't remember exactly what we were doing back there, playing basketball I think, but I remember another one of our buddies came walking up with his head phones on listening to his walkman. He was so pumped up. He had Smash on cassette blasting it on that walkman.

He played us that oh so memorable verse from Bad Habit and we were all in shock hovering around his headphones together......We were hooked. We all went out and got our own copies almost immediately. Smash is an album all 4 of us have never and will never grow out of. (Dookie as well... everyone back then that owned Smash, also owned Dookie)

*Side note ; All of us heard Come Out and Play already before this, maybe a week or two before (and liked it of course), so that would've been the true 1st time I heard them....but the moment I just described is when I REALLY listened to them for the 1st time.

gala
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
I was about 13 years old, and I was watching on Mtv star vs star, green day vs offspring.
than, a couple of years later, I was in Ireland on vacation, watching Kerrang tv, and I heard "why don't you get a job", and I immediatly realized that I had to start listening to them two years before!!

keonii7
08-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Crazy Taxi.

The first time I heard that YA YA YA YA YA, I got so pumped up.

andrea.
08-19-2010, 07:28 AM
The first song from Offspring that I heard was "Staring at the sun"..
I was..hmm.. I don't know.. In 5th grade..so 11 years old..

My friend and I were talking on Windows Messenger and he
send me a sound "staring at the sun".. I really liked it..
Next day, he gave me albums Smash and Americana..
and know... I'm huge fan.. Thanks to him..

THANK YOU TOMISLAV!! :D

BetterLate
08-19-2010, 01:48 PM
The first time i heard an Offspring song i was 8 years old and the song was Hit That.

Unnatural Disaster
08-20-2010, 01:23 AM
In 1998. I was 8 years old and heard Pretty Fly. I went on for 4 years only knowing that song, but I eventually heard Why Don't You Get a Job and She's Got Issues in Early 2002 and became interested in them. So I downloaded a bunch of their singles from WinMX (like Napster), and eventually got Smash for my birthday.

Now, 12 years later, I am still obsessed with them.

Mary 13
08-20-2010, 05:39 AM
the kids aren't alright. the music video.

ZeQuebecois
08-21-2010, 10:14 AM
The first time and place I remember I heard an Offspring song was when I was 8-10 (so 'round 2000-2002?).

We were looking a Dragonball video and there was TKAA playing background, I just loved that song, but yet wasn't into music too much.
I became interested in music at 15, and when I discovered who played that famous song (TKAA), I became a fan of The Offspring.

Last time I heard them was at a watergun war hosted by some radio station in Quebec City. When the fight started, they putted some Original Prankster on :)