PDA

View Full Version : Serj Tankian's new album

Llamas
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Serj Tankian's new solo album, Imperfect Harmonies, will be released by Serjical Strike/Reprise Records on September 7th, 2010.

"Where Elect the Dead was essentially a rock record with progressive melodic elements," Tankian says, "Imperfect Harmonies could be classified as rock because it is punchy with many peaks throughout, but the instrumentation is somewhat different. Though there are live drums, bass, and some guitars, the driving aspects are electronic and orchestral. It's quite unique in its sound palette. This is, in essence, music that has sat in the vat and matured to a ripe sensation and is now ready to serve."
-----------------------------------------

I'm really looking forward to this. Elect the Dead was a really good album, and I'm excited to see what new directions things might go with this new one. Two songs have been released so far:

Borders Are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40su7eHgIs)

Left of Center (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKpVooXVDRM&feature=related)

I didn't really like "Borders Are" the first time I heard it, but it's growing on me. It's definitely very different from anything SOAD ever did, and pretty strange in general. I hope the entire album isn't like this song, but it's a good one.

"Left of Center" was an instant hit for me. It sounds more like the songs on Elect the Dead, but definitely a little hint of something new.

Can't wait til this album comes out :)

randman21
08-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Whoo! I like. :) I pretty much didn't like anything from Elect the Dead, so I really like where this album sounds like it's going. Somehow I'm a fan of Serj Tankian, despite not liking the previous album and not being much of a SOAD fan. I think he might justify my love of this one. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I liked "Borders Are" much more than "Left of Center".

Llamas
08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Whoo! I like. :) I pretty much didn't like anything from Elect the Dead, so I really like where this album sounds like it's going. Somehow I'm a fan of Serj Tankian, despite not liking the previous album and not being much of a SOAD fan. I think he might justify my love of this one. Thanks for sharing!

:) You like him in theory, eh? Have you checked out Scars on Broadway? You might like them. The thing is, I love Serj's voice and lyrics, but his songs are kind of hard to get into. I think Daron (the other singer of SOAD and the singer or Scars) is much more talented with writing songs... I just don't dig his voice or lyrics as much. But Scars on Broadway is quite listenable. In case you haven't heard them, here are a couple of their songs.

World Long Gone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtKFs_D0WvA)

They Say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOY_UV9GhIM&feature=channel)

Personally I like World Long Gone better...

Omni
08-18-2010, 11:48 AM

I didn't listen to anything from Elect the Dead because I absolutely could not fucking stand that "Empty Walls" song, and it was played on the radio so goddamn much.

dff_punk
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Hm, I liked "Borders Are" lyrically more, and "Left Of Center" more musically.

Llamas
09-25-2010, 10:13 AM
So it's out. And I LOVE it. It's soooo much better than Elect the Dead! But it also sounds a lot less like SOAD. Most of the songs on Elect the Dead picked up where SOAD left off... this is its own animal. I'm simply amazed. The weakest songs on this album are on par with Elect the Dead's best songs. And someone who didn't like SOAD at all could like this album, which is not really true of the last album.

nameless
10-01-2010, 04:03 PM
im in two minds whether to buy the album, normally when other artists start to do too much experimentation, i find they just end up disappointing people!

Llamas
10-01-2010, 04:14 PM
im in two minds whether to buy the album, normally when other artists start to do too much experimentation, i find they just end up disappointing people!

It's sometimes true. Sometimes people get experimental and they're just simply not good at it. Other time the fans just really liked what the artist was doing before and aren't interested in a change.

In this case, the experimentation really works. He definitely pulls it off. However, if you really miss SOAD and doesn't want to hear Serj doing something different, you'll probably be disappointed. Listen to the two songs I linked in the first post. If you like them, check out the album; if you hate them, don't. :P