PDA

View Full Version : Dexter in MTV's Everyone's Favorite 90s Pop-Rockers

Alex101
08-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Check it out. Dexter is #4 on MTV's Everyone's Favorite 90s Pop-Rockers (http://clutch.mtv.com/2010/08/25/where-are-they-now-everyones-favorite-90s-pop-rockers/). Here's what it says:

Dexter Holland was never supposed to be a rock star. He graduated from the University of Southern California with a master's degree in Molecular Biology and was on his way to becoming a PhD before dropping out to focus on the band. Then in 1994, The Offspring's third album "Smash" destroyed the charts and sold more copies than any other album on an indie label. Several successful albums followed, including the most recent, 2008's "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace."

Although still with the band, Holland has other hobbies that keep him busy. He has his own label, Nitro Records; he got his pilot license and bought a couple jets; and he also has his own brand of hot sauce called "Gringo Bandito." He even got Adam Carolla to be his pitchman: "I put Gringo Bandito on eggs, steak, chicken, hookers. Everything I want to taste great."

ad8
08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Inb4 Pop-Rocker punk-or-not-anymore debate.

Also, who is Adam Carolla?

jacknife737
08-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Carolla is an American comedian/media personality. Currently he has his own radio show, i think.

yarock
08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Where are they now??

Dexter's never been out of the business.Can't understand why they treated him like he's Gary Coleman.

jacknife737
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Where are they now??

Dexter's never been out of the business.Can't understand why they treated him like he's Gary Coleman.

Yeah, that's the thing that struck me as weird. They had the number 1 rock song in America for like 11 weeks in 2008/09 with You're Gonna Go Far, Kid: which is a lot more than anyone can say for any of those other bands: i mean putting them on the same level as Smash Mouth?

cool 2 hate 681
08-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Carolla is an American comedian/media personality. Currently he has his own radio show, i think.

dexter was on his show in 2009 and it was worse then the loveline interviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVmeOOp1kWg

nameless
08-25-2010, 06:09 PM
i can understand why they might feature in that as in the uk, although very successful, their last few albums havent exactly stormed the charts the way smash and americana did. then again, like others mentioned, they didnt just fall out the face of the earth like some other one hit wonders. they ask where are they now but then admit the band are still going strong today!

Omni
08-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, that's the thing that struck me as weird. They had the number 1 rock song in America for like 11 weeks in 2008/09 with You're Gonna Go Far, Kid: which is a lot more than anyone can say for any of those other bands: i mean putting them on the same level as Smash Mouth?

And a #2. And a #7. And a moderate #21 hit. If they even only had the #7, that's proof they're still pretty popular.

cool 2 hate 681
08-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Check it out. Dexter is #4 on MTV's Everyone's Favorite 90s Pop-Rockers (http://clutch.mtv.com/2010/08/25/where-are-they-now-everyones-favorite-90s-pop-rockers/)

harvey danger ahead of offspring :confused:

Alex101
08-28-2010, 08:15 AM
harvey danger ahead of offspring :confused:
I know. And Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray and Steve Harwell of Smash Mouth ahead of him too? Bullshit.

mrXniick
08-28-2010, 01:10 PM
It wasn't a ranking list. Try thinking before you post... jesus

yarock
08-28-2010, 02:25 PM
It wasn't a ranking list. Try thinking before you post... jesus

Gentleman is right.Besides you shouldn't give a damn about anything related to Mtv.

Outerspaceman21
08-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Gentleman is right.Besides you shouldn't give a damn about anything related to Mtv.

Point taken. Now, it must become law.

Mary 13
09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
4. Dexter Holland The Offspring

Dexter Holland was never supposed to be a rock star. He graduated from the University of Southern California with a master's degree in molecular biology and was on his way to becoming a Ph.D. before dropping out to focus on the band. Then in 1994, The Offspring's third album "Smash" destroyed the charts and sold more copies than any other album on an indie label. Several successful albums followed, including the most recent, 2008's "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace."

Although still with the band, Holland has other hobbies that keep him busy. He has his own label, Nitro Records; he got his pilot license and bought a couple jets; and he also has his own brand of hot sauce called "Gringo Bandito." He even got Adam Carolla to be his pitchman: "I put Gringo Bandito on eggs, steak, chicken, hookers. Everything I want to taste great."

:eek: