PDA

View Full Version : Bush

Alex101
08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Gavin Rossdale and co. have resurrected Bush, one of my favorite bands of the 90s. They're also putting out a new album later this year or next year. It's called Everything Always Now and Bob Rock (who produced the latest Offspring album) is also producing it. Has anyone heard of the new song "Afterlife" yet? If not, here's a YouTube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXOy6vb9hIs) for you to hear it. I'm anticipating the rest of the new album to be as good as Sixteen Stone.

Retard
08-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Sorry man i was not impressed at all by that.... seemed way too over produced. too much goin on at once...

Outerspaceman21
08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
It's not that bad, to be honest. What do you expect in todays music environment? It doesn't sound that over produced.

Llamas
08-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Wow this is pretty old news... at least two months old...

I saw Gavin live this summer, and he and his band mostly played Bush songs. That was awesome. He announced it was one of his last shows with that band, and Bush was reuniting. I went home and looked up the new song... Afterlife is lame and doesn't sound anything like Bush. It's better than Gavin's solo stuff, but it's still worse than even Golden State. I might check it out just cause I used to be a huge Bush fan.

Little_Miss_1565
08-26-2010, 08:33 AM
I think this song is pretty alright (as a song in and of itself, because as Llamas points out it doesn't sound like the Bush I remember), but the vocal production is fucking WACK. I can't quite put my finger on what's going on but it's giving me a rash. Which is weird, because Gavin has a pretty good voice.

On another note, I love Criminal Minds and Gavin was on one night as some kind of vampirey band frontman accused of serial murder. His acting was pretty bad but he's still mad cute.

yarock
08-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I think this song is pretty alright (as a song in and of itself, because as Llamas points out it doesn't sound like the Bush I remember), but the vocal production is fucking WACK. I can't quite put my finger on what's going on but it's giving me a rash. Which is weird, because Gavin has a pretty good voice.

On another note, I love Criminal Minds and Gavin was on one night as some kind of vampirey band frontman accused of serial murder. His acting was pretty bad but he's still mad cute.

Ohh shit,we're both sagittarius and we both love the Minds-what has the world become?

edit:whooops,I misjudged the signs.

Little_Miss_1565
08-26-2010, 09:31 AM
hahaha, yup, I'm a scorpio. ;)

yarock
08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Yup,I'm a scorpio indeed.

Retard
08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
There seems like theres too much weird stuff goin on with his voice... like it doesnt sound like whatever his name is.... that synth is kinda annoying and uuhh i dont know it jus seems kinda weak. but eh. to each their own man....

Llamas
08-27-2010, 04:57 AM

I'd generally agree that the song itself is alright... but it's the SOUND - and yes the vocal production - that's ridiculous. To me, it's not a rock song, but rather a pop song... and since Bush was one of my favorite grunge rock bands (if not my favorite), it's pretty painful to hear them do stuff like this. The vocal production just makes me sad, because Gavin's voice is the best part about Bush (aside from a lot of the song-writing).

Speaking of just Gavin, he's a pretty cool and talented dude. I mean, I've never met him, but he was playing as a solo act at a music festival this summer... my friends and I went to see him, hoping he'd toss us a Bush song or two. When the concert started, there were maybe 200 people there. We were in like the third row and there were only a couple more filled rows behind us. Nobody wanted to see Gavin. But he was smart - he began the show with a few Bush songs, which totally drew in a crowd as he was just putting on an AMAZING show, and then after about 15 minutes, he started playing really awesome hard rock versions of the songs from his solo album. I really didn't care for that album, which I think was true for most fans, but he made those songs sound badass. Then he wrapped it all up at the end with Everything Zen and Glycerine. And he sounded absolutely great the entire time, especially for a guy whose claim to fame is a heavy grunge sound. Maybe it was because I had ridiculously low expectations, but Gavin's show was one of the best I've seen in years.

And holy shit. That man is HOT when he's rocking. I still hate his hair, though :P

Omni
08-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Is his haircut kind of short, or does he have the long hair like he used to?

I fucking hated Afterlife. I have yet to make it through the entire song once. It really just doesn't sound anything like Bush, and it sounds even less like Gavin. I thought Sixteen Stone was a hallmark of the 90s. I never thought any of their other albums was consistent after that one.

Llamas
08-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Is his haircut kind of short, or does he have the long hair like he used to?

I fucking hated Afterlife. I have yet to make it through the entire song once. It really just doesn't sound anything like Bush, and it sounds even less like Gavin. I thought Sixteen Stone was a hallmark of the 90s. I never thought any of their other albums was consistent after that one.

This is the best picture I got of him (stupid phone camera)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs196.snc4/38128_10100269285202230_13907182_63597492_3403386_ n.jpg
You can see it's long... it was slicked and just kinda bleh.

I liked their first three albums a lot, and actually I think Razorblade Suitcase was my favorite - even though Everything Zen and Glycerine were probably their best singles (well, Swallowed is just as good). But Golden State was lame.

Alex101
08-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Sorry man i was not impressed at all by that.... seemed way too over produced. too much goin on at once...
Yeah, I kind wasn't impressed when I first heard of it. The sound of it reminded me of Chinese Democracy and Gavin's voice sounds like Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails.

Retard
09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't really hear Reznor in that at all. but that's just me.

Alex101
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't really hear Reznor in that at all. but that's just me.
I didn't say it was Trent Reznor singing, I said that Gavin's voice kinda sounds like him in the new song.

Retard
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I knew what you meant dude.... i couldn't hear any resemblance to reznor in his voice at all.

Omni
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Apparently, the title has been changed to "Sea of Memories," and a new single is due out in July.

It's been delayed a full year. Does this mean they realized that Afterlife kind of blew, and that the album was possibly rushed? I want to like this new album, I hope the last year has been spent revamping it and writing better songs.

RageAndLov
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Sounds like Ricky Martin trying to make a rock song.

Retard
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Ricky Martin would probably make a better rock song.

Omni
06-21-2011, 11:14 PM
There have been plenty of bands who reformed that I was optimistic about, even against good judgment. Sometimes my good judgment was proven extremely wrong.

But I never have good expectations from a band who reforms and simultaneously announces a new album. Even if they had secretly been working together for months prior to the reunion announcement, I still can never shake the feeling that they were rushing through it so they would have a legit excuse to do a world tour and maybe make some decent money off the hype-driven album sales. It always seems more about greed or at least the yearning to relieve the glory years than it does to move ahead and make some respectable music.

I got the same feeling with Bush, especially since it only had two of the four original members. But this huge delay (the original release was supposed to be like September of last year, right?) and reworked title have kind of boosted their credit. I think it's pretty honorable when musicians can objectively look at their material and say "I'm not really feeling this. This feels half-assed. Let's keep a single or two and scrap this whole mess." I hope that's what happened. That said, I was never a huge fan of any Bush record aside from Sixteen Stone, but I've never really disliked them. I'd like for them to make a well-received record and get some limelight again.

I wouldn't mind Afterlife being on the record at all. But if that song is any harbringer of the album as a whole, it's trash. Afterlife was an acceptable filler song, but it's not lead single material, and it's definitely not the first single you want the world to hear after being broken up for like eight years and are looking to get back in the game.

Omni
07-03-2011, 06:17 AM
These older bands are no longer popular, possibly a bad marketing. It's seems impossible to come out with another Americana or Smash. Green day did it with American idiot.

Green Day got lucky with American Idiot. It was one of the last great rock blockbusters since it came out about a year or two before record sales took a gigantic nosedive into oblivion. It's most certainly impossible to make a record that high-selling again. It's not that they're not popular - they are. Rock records (or any record in general) just don't sell a lot anymore. People download albums for free and buy singles.

thought that Institute's album was absolutely great, very bizarre, exciting and surreal. Like Everything Zen. It's Gavin's side project. But if you didn't like Afterlife, you won't like it. Different tastes, but good quality and not popular.

It wasn't the "different tastes" that made me dislike Afterlife, it was the fact that Afterlife just kind of fucking sucked. I'm a fan of all different types of rock music, it's not a lack of diversity. Sure, it threw me off a bit being a Bush song, but I could have readjusted if the song was actually good.

I'll give that link a listen when I get home from work, I can't right now. I'm optimistic, though. It can't possibly be any worse of a commercial endeavor than Afterlife.

jacknife737
07-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Green Day got lucky with American Idiot. It was one of the last great rock blockbusters since it came out about a year or two before record sales took a gigantic nosedive into oblivion. It's most certainly impossible to make a record that high-selling again. It's not that they're not popular - they are. Rock records (or any record in general) just don't sell a lot anymore. People download albums for free and buy singles.

Hey: i think i actually made a thread about this topic a while ago:
http://offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=36869

And i totally agree: the era of the high selling album (particularly an alt-rock one) is pretty much over. The business itself even seems to be shifting away from the concept of "the album" with the focus is being placed on singles.

Retard
07-10-2011, 10:58 PM
That's how the music industry was back in the sixties. it wasn't until The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper that people started looking at LP's as an artistic venture. The Beatles cds that people buy now were only available in the UK back when they first came out. Capital put out a bunch of weird albums in the beginning that took songs from random places and put them together with songs from other albums. Hell Rubber Soul started out with a song from Beatles For Sale in America. The nineties is when the music executives got rid of singles. They were being sold everywhere back in the nineties, and slowly but surely they stopped making cd singles and just made people buy the album.... most people only really listen to singles.... a tiny exception listen to the whole thing.

Alex101
07-11-2011, 04:01 PM
The new album is coming out September 13th.

http://www.billboard.com/news/bush-to-release-sea-of-memories-album-in-1005270642.story#/news/bush-to-release-sea-of-memories-album-in-1005270642.story

cool 2 hate 681
07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
i found this part more interesting than the release date

"The Sea of Memories" will be released on their very own Zuma Rock Records through an exclusive partnership with eOne music. Having sold millions of albums during their time with Interscope, "The Sea of Memories" marks the band's first indie release.

Alex101
07-23-2011, 07:01 PM
For those who haven't heard of their new single "The Sound of Winter" yet, here's the link:

http://soundcloud.com/kroq/bush-the-sound-of-winter/s-r3O4h

Llamas
07-25-2011, 04:08 AM
This is 100x better than "Afterlife" or really anything from Gavin's solo album. Gives me a bit more hope/excitement for the release.

Little_Miss_1565
07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Just realized it's been 17 years since that first album came out.

Just listened to the new song Alex linked. I feel like Stan in that episode of South Park where the songs he used to like just song like people taking a shit. I weep for my lost youth.

Omni
07-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure what to think of the Sound of Winter, yet. Has a nice chorus, I guess. They released a new one today called "All My Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NScko6YZww

Antonioffspring
09-13-2011, 07:11 AM
It's out today. Good leak is out too.

It's generally very good. It doesn't seem to be over-produced and it's coherent. But, nothing specifically blows my mind on it right now. I like the drums very much. #11 intro bass seems to be influenced by some classic rock, Ozzy??? I don't know if I'll go for a song by song review.

Omni
09-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't have the money to go out and buy it just yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. I don't have very high hopes for it, but I hope for their sake that it's good.

cool 2 hate 681
01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
haha

http://media.ticketmaster.com/img/mw/images/27/85/273413p1.jpg

Retard
01-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Looks like the worst fucking concert ever

Llamas
01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
This album turned out to be a real disappointment. I tried listening to it like 4 times and never was able to finish the album.

Omni
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Say whatever you want. It was a ton better than Razorblade Suitcase. And I'm betting it was better than the Science of Things, even though I haven't heard all of that album.

Llamas
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Say whatever you want. It was a ton better than Razorblade Suitcase. And I'm betting it was better than the Science of Things, even though I haven't heard all of that album.

WHAT? Those were their best two albums! Sixteen Stone sucked besides the singles, and Golden State was lame. But this new one is even worse.

Omni
01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Sixteen Stone did suck besides the singles. But that's okay since there were five singles. I rarely like an entire record, so liking roughly half an album qualifies it as being good to me. Razorblade Suitcase and Sixteen Stone have pretty much the same grungey sound, except all of Razorblade Suitcase (except Greedy Fly, Swallowed, and Mouth) sounds like Sixteen Stone's non-singles.

cool 2 hate 681
01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
This album turned out to be a real disappointment. I tried listening to it like 4 times and never was able to finish the album.

do you think bob rock had anything to do with the album being awful?

Llamas
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Sixteen Stone did suck besides the singles. But that's okay since there were five singles. I rarely like an entire record, so liking roughly half an album qualifies it as being good to me. Razorblade Suitcase and Sixteen Stone have pretty much the same grungey sound, except all of Razorblade Suitcase (except Greedy Fly, Swallowed, and Mouth) sounds like Sixteen Stone's non-singles.

Guh, Cold Contagious and Insect Kin are two of the band's best songs. It sounds like you don't really like this band much at all, so your opinion doesn't count ;)

And FYI, Science of Things was not as grungy. They were a lot more experimental there, but not TOO much. I liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTjCjUsJKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldMmD3oCD14&feature=related

Llamas
01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
do you think bob rock had anything to do with the album being awful?

Not at all. The band lost their touch, and Gavin is old. The last Bush album was crap, and Gavin's solo album was even worse. This is about the band, not Rock.

cool 2 hate 681
01-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Not at all. The band lost their touch, and Gavin is old. The last Bush album was crap, and Gavin's solo album was even worse. This is about the band, not Rock.

oh ok:) i did not listen to his solo album but i did like that adrenaline song he did for the xxx soundtrack in 2002

Omni
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Guh, Cold Contagious and Insect Kin are two of the band's best songs. It sounds like you don't really like this band much at all, so your opinion doesn't count ;)

And FYI, Science of Things was not as grungy. They were a lot more experimental there, but not TOO much. I liked it.

Well, I never claimed the Science of Things was grungy, pretty evident by The Chemicals Between Us and the other singles. I also claimed to have never heard the entire album, so I withheld my opinion that it was worse than the Sea of Memories - I only suspect it.

Eh, I'm a reasonable Bush fan. I like them far better than most radio listeners. They're just very hit and miss with me, you know? I have three of their five albums on cd, so I give them plenty of opportunities and will always be checking out what they're up to when something new comes out. The Seas of Memories wasn't as bad as the Afterlife suggested it would be, but I'm not writing home about it by any means.

And it is without a doubt a better release than RHCP's new disc. Bleck.

Retard
01-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Yea but is calling it better than the new RHCP album really saying much?

Omni
01-16-2012, 05:41 AM
I suppose you have a point, I'm with You was pretty bad all around. It was still a very hyped album, nonetheless, and at the end of the day, Bush can walk away and say "at least we're not the Red Hot Chili Peppers." That's gotta mean something, right?

Not at all. The band lost their touch,

Just saw this. I would argue that they never really had a touch. To be honest, Bush have been pretty generic post-grunge for the most part, only I've always thought they played their role very well. You think three out of five of their albums are lame, so I know you agree with this analysis at least somewhat.

Retard
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I aint comin down from this clown.

Llamas
01-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Just saw this. I would argue that they never really had a touch. To be honest, Bush have been pretty generic post-grunge for the most part, only I've always thought they played their role very well. You think three out of five of their albums are lame, so I know you agree with this analysis at least somewhat.

Well, I thought Sixteen Stone was okay. But the other two are definitely lame. So that's a fair point. But they also had two albums (which were consecutive) which I thought were really great, which to me, means they had some sort of a touch at some point. Even if it didn't last long.

Krojd
01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
And how did you guys like Distort Yourself by Institute?