PDA

View Full Version : Please, I want my Offspring back...

Anbuhq
08-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I've been thinking lately these past few years how Offspring changed.
I think that all the emo girls, fake punk rockers and mtv finally made effect on them... sadly.

I consider the real offspring from first album till americana. In americana they started to sound something like mtv wanted... even thou there are great songs such as the kids aren't alright, no breaks etc.

It makes me really sad how they changed to "worse", by worse i dont think they suck or anything like that, they do sound great but wheres the punk rock spirit from the first few albums? I'm really fucked up with the rise and fall rage and grace... because of their change all of the sudden half of my friends on facebook (who listen to r'n'b, pop and other shit) share the links from the offspring songs such as you're gonna go far kid, freakin kristy are you doing okay, pretty fly... Not even a single song from albums pre americana that have punk rock rhythm and offspring spirit. Thats also helped me to come to this conclusion...

Back in the days when someone would mention offspring fans, they were thinking about the punkers, rockers, skins etc. Nowadays it is mostly freaking emo girls and boys who pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to offspring, wear ton of make up, dress in black, smoke and getting drunk as much as possible and as younger ass possible... WTF happened to people?

I think that i have right to write this because Offspring is my favorite band, and i'm one of the luckiest persons in the world which first cassette that he bought was offsprings one when he was just 8 years old (nostalgia) :)
I'm really true fan of the offspring, the first band i started to listen was offspring, and i want it to be the last one i hear.

Not even a single day has passed that i didn't listened to one song of them, offspring music is part of my life because i dont think that i would be the person that i am today if there wasn't offspring that helped me in difficult times of my life... and there were plenty of them.

So it really makes me sad to see how my favorite band is changing and becoming one of the mtv's money bringers... they became alternative of what they used to be. I know they are not thinking about the money, i know that the times are changing, i know they are getting older, having different points of view on life and things but... its just not the same as it was.

To be honest i'm not looking forward to this new album... i know that i'm going to be pissed of on their new lyrics, how they sound like etc... I just know. Is it that hard to sound like you used to sound in the past, something like all i want, hopeless, beheaded, gotta get away, thousand days... Yeah i'm hopeless now.

I'm really pissed off now because i feel like while i'm writing this that i'm going to start crying how sad it makes me. I hope you fans understand me because i love them more than any other band, just like you do.
I wrote my opinion and i hope there will be no negative comments on it...

So please, bring me my old offspring back.

Love you offspring, fans...
ps. sry for bad english

nevo
08-29-2010, 01:52 PM
You say this as if every single Offspring album was exactly the same. Even up to the point of Americana, all of the albums were totally different. Yes, I'll admit their sound has changed over the years, but that's just the way things work in the music business. Just because it's different doesn't mean the band puts any less effort into their music. We do not see things the way they are, we see things the way we are. Maybe your taste in music has changed, and you haven't realize it yet, you can't expect the band to go back to 1993.

Anbuhq
08-29-2010, 01:56 PM
You say this as if every single Offspring album was exactly the same. Even up to the point of Americana, all of the albums were totally different. Yes, I'll admit their sound has changed over the years, but that's just the way things work in the music business. Just because it's different doesn't mean the band puts any less effort into their music. We do not see things the way they are, we see things the way we are. Maybe your taste in music has changed, and you haven't realize it yet, you can't expect the band to go back to 1993.
I know i cant expect that, i'm just saying that they changed and that i'm used to the old off. Also, every album is unique in their way ;)
I believe that my taste of music is still the same considering that i'm listening to their old stuff even today.
Many bands have changed but when it comes to your dearest one, it kinda hurts seeing that.

disclaimer_07
08-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I understand what you feel, man. But really, it's no use crying. The best way to get the old Offspring back is to listen to their old CDs. :D

Maybe you should look for other bands that sound like the old Offspring to fill that void in your life. I'm sure you can find some out there.

dexterone
08-29-2010, 02:28 PM
First of all,it's 'No Brakes'...not 'No Breaks',as you've written...

You really need to understand,that all bands are doing some progress in their music...and Offspring as well...if they still played the same style and same songs,they wouldn't obtain new fans and they need them...you know,when they recorded Smash,they were kinda young and their opinions and ideas have changed a lot...I'm sure,that if you had your own band,at this age you'd play fast punk songs,but sometime later you'd realize,that you want something different and make some change...because it wouldn't make any sense...

Then...I don't think,that they ended up after releasing of Americana...I still think,that Splinter is one of their best album...a lotta fast songs like 'Long way home'...if you like 'All I Want',you gotta like this one too...then 'The Noose'..if you like 'The Meaning of Life',you gotta like that too...or...let's tell about Rise and Fall,Rage and Grace...you remembered 'You're gonna go far,kid'...according to me,that's one of the best songs,they've ever written...'Trust in you'...do you like Smash? you gotta like that...and 'Kristy' has a real story and sometime if you experience something like Dexter,you'll write something alike...if you're a musician....

I think,that each album is perfect,I know,that I cannot persuade you,but try to understand the band...they can't play,what they played 15 years ago...

Free?
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Dude, you said it yourself:

I know they are not thinking about the money, i know that the times are changing, i know they are getting older, having different points of view on life and things but... its just not the same as it was.

It's sad that you can't find a place in your heart for the band's newer stuff, but the band keeps doing what they always been doing - writing music that they feel comfortable about and put thoughts that they want to be there. The next album will be no exception. That's one of things that I respect about them.
Many posters been asking the same thing as you - Offspring getting back to their earlier sound, but it's just doesn't feel right to me if the band will have to step over their own input in order to please a bunch of fans who aren't able to appreciate newer Offspring's music.
Just let them do what they feel like and make sure that you understand what a song/album is about before writing it off. Being open minded to your favorite band's fresh music isn't a big thing to ask.

Anbuhq
08-29-2010, 02:41 PM
First of all,it's 'No Brakes'...not 'No Breaks',as you've written...

You really need to understand,that all bands are doing some progress in their music...and Offspring as well...if they still played the same style and same songs,they wouldn't obtain new fans and they need them...you know,when they recorded Smash,they were kinda young and their opinions and ideas have changed a lot...I'm sure,that if you had your own band,at this age you'd play fast punk songs,but sometime later you'd realize,that you want something different and make some change...because it wouldn't make any sense...

Then...I don't think,that they ended up after releasing of Americana...I still think,that Splinter is one of their best album...a lotta fast songs like 'Long way home'...if you like 'All I Want',you gotta like this one too...then 'The Noose'..if you like 'The Meaning of Life',you gotta like that too...or...let's tell about Rise and Fall,Rage and Grace...you remembered 'You're gonna go far,kid'...according to me,that's one of the best songs,they've ever written...'Trust in you'...do you like Smash? you gotta like that...and 'Kristy' has a real story and sometime if you experience something like Dexter,you'll write something alike...if you're a musician....

I think,that each album is perfect,I know,that I cannot persuade you,but try to understand the band...they can't play,what they played 15 years ago...
My bad, no brakes ;) (breaks lol)
I guess they have their own way of doing things in music.
Its almost like watching your kid growing older/changing :D

Many posters been asking the same thing as you - Offspring getting back to their earlier sound, but it's just doesn't feel right to me if the band will have to step over their own input in order to please a bunch of fans who aren't able to appreciate newer Offspring's music.
WE made them.

disclaimer_07
08-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I like pretty much everything by them and I have to say I agree with dexterone that Splinter is a pretty damn good album, "Lightning Rod" is simply epic and my all-time favorite. Plus it's always good to rediscover some of their stuff and become obsessed with a song you couldn't even stand before.

Outerspaceman21
08-29-2010, 02:59 PM
WE made them.

Yes, we made them the success that they are, but to ask an artist to change their style and music because you don't like their new fanbase is unfair. They are not puppets for you to pull the string and demand what kind of music THEY should make, which in my opinion is the true essence of punk rock.

Free?
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
WE made them.

No we didn't make them. They made themselves. We just happened to like their music and supported them. Now there are fans who supported them as equally as you did, if not more, but they prefer new songs over old. Or fans that would like to hear more ska songs. Or piano songs. Or electronic songs. Or rap songs. Or ballads. Or heavy metal. Should the band listen to them? Or ignore them? Or should the band listen to you or ignore you? Or should the band decide themselves what to put in their own music?

DUKENT
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
The Offspring were, are and always will be the best band ever. Sure they changes but they still fucking rock. There are some old-sounding songs on RafRag and some new stuff and that's just awesome! End of the story

nameless
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
it seems most people here discovered them through their older material and remained fans ever since. they have just moved on, if they had continued doing what they were doing 20 years ago on the last album everyone would be complaining its all the same music!

Anbuhq
08-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I was glad when i saw that they sang Beheaded on Happy Hour! album.

As i said, its like watching your kid growing up :D

Btw NOFX is also great XD

andrea.
08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Look... Like everyone said...
THEY HAVE CHANGED, they have adjust to the new time.
Man, like you said. It's just like seeing your child growing up.
You can't do anything about it, except listening to their new
stuff and feeling it.

dff_punk
08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
So, what you are saying, is that Gonna Go Far Kid does not have "punk-rock rhythm"? I tend to disagree.

And I agree with most of the stuff people said in this thread.

Omni
08-29-2010, 06:36 PM
I think that all the emo girls, fake punk rockers and mtv finally made effect on them... sadly.

I'm pretty tired of people throwing the word "emo" around like it's still a viable term with any meaning left, let alone an insult. So what if "emo" girls like the Offspring, now. No one has the Offspring trademarked and copyrighted. And let's not get into what is "true punk," that argument is already a beaten and raped horse corpse. They broke through on MTV 16 years ago, it hasn't "finally" done anything. This last album was the heaviest, least gimmicky one since Ixnay. It still has its poppy songs, but it doesn't have anything with any samples, weird keyboards/synthesizers, anything of that sort for the first time since Americana or Conspiracy of One. It doesn't even have a spoken intro, it just cuts straight to the meat.

I consider the real offspring from first album till americana. In americana they started to sound something like mtv wanted... even thou there are great songs such as the kids aren't alright, no breaks etc.

Again, they sounded like what MTV wanted at Smash, not Americana. Americana was definitely a turning point that defined their sound as more pop-dominated for the next couple of albums, but I'll take the most watered down pop b-side they ever made to the first album. Self-titled fucking blew. It was just run-of-the-mill 80's punk rock, with no Offspring signatures, no direction, and lyrics that sound like they were written by teenagers… because they fucking were.

It makes me really sad how they changed to "worse", by worse i dont think they suck or anything like that, they do sound great but wheres the punk rock spirit from the first few albums?

They still have punk rock spirit, but they're in their 40s now for God's sake. What do you want from them, more songs about Killing the President and disrespecting authoritah? That'd be worse than if Green Day made another song about masturbation.

I'm really fucked up with the rise and fall rage and grace... because of their change all of the sudden half of my friends on facebook (who listen to r'n'b, pop and other shit) share the links from the offspring songs such as you're gonna go far kid, freakin kristy are you doing okay, pretty fly... Not even a single song from albums pre americana that have punk rock rhythm and offspring spirit.

That's only because Facebook didn't exist in the '90s, and radio stations that arent' classic only play new music for the most part, so that's what the new generation of fans are exposed to. If Gone Away were released today, it'd be linked on Facebook. If it were released five years ago, it'd be the song you instinctively muted as soon as you opened a friend's MySpace page.

So it really makes me sad to see how my favorite band is changing and becoming one of the mtv's money bringers...

Does MTV even still play music for the most part? Wrong decade, wrong part of the band's career. They were MTV's little cash cows back when you were listening to their "best" songs, back when they were still "cool."

holland25
08-30-2010, 02:38 AM
I was glad when i saw that they sang Beheaded on Happy Hour! album.

Btw NOFX is also great XD

Uhh, Happy Hour! is a compilation of B-sides, with Beheaded being from 1999.

Budzy
08-30-2010, 03:48 AM
I just want The Offspring to bring back the good ol' songs, the songs that made me love them. Whatever happened to the Ramble Tamble, or the Bad Moon Rising, that we loved so much.

Jojan
08-30-2010, 05:48 AM
You just want a time back where you were young and had no worries, maan! You have to realize that time moves in one direction. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMfW1jY1xE.

mynamewastaken
08-30-2010, 06:27 AM
like omni sed... THEY'RE IN THEIR FUCKING 40s!!!!!! try rise against... they're little Offspring wannabe's srsly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EsU4SETCz4

and....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qhry7ufxno <--- everyone's like, "ABBY!!! LISTEN!!! IT'S THAT NEW OFFSPRING SONG!!!" i'm all like, "fuck you... that is NOTHING like the offspring. minus the WOAH-o-ah-oh!" :D

EDIT: i do like that song though... fuck, i like rise against. but i HATE it when people fuse The Offspring with other bands.

holland25
08-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Rise Against are not Offspring wannabes. They are a totally different band. A very good totally different band.

Little_Miss_1565
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM

If they started to sound "like mtv wanted" 10 years ago, funny how they've been played on MTV less in that time than they had in the 10 years before that, isn't it?

WebDudette
08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
If bands don't evolve people complain about how their music is getting stagnant and they always write the same music and stick to a formula. If bands do evolve, change their style, and become more talented writers and musicians people complain.

nevo
08-30-2010, 08:58 AM
like omni sed... THEY'RE IN THEIR FUCKING 40s!!!!!! try rise against... they're little Offspring wannabe's srsly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EsU4SETCz4

and....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qhry7ufxno <--- everyone's like, "ABBY!!! LISTEN!!! IT'S THAT NEW OFFSPRING SONG!!!" i'm all like, "fuck you... that is NOTHING like the offspring. minus the WOAH-o-ah-oh!" :D

EDIT: i do like that song though... fuck, i like rise against. but i HATE it when people fuse The Offspring with other bands.

Rise Against is amazing, but they don't sound anything like the Offspring.

Krojd
08-30-2010, 08:59 AM
What are you trying to say, mynamewastaken? Cause I really dont know. What's up with those songs?

WebDudette
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Well, first she said Rise Against are Offspring wannabees, then she said they are nothing alike.

Llamas
08-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Usually when people's kids grow up, they show pride and happiness for their kid accomplishing new things.

Many bands have changed but when it comes to your dearest one, it kinda hurts seeing that.

My favorite band has four albums, and all four of them are extremely different from each other. I think that's part of why I like them so much. If the Offspring released another album that sounded like "Smash", I probably wouldn't be interested in listening to it. Smash is a great album which I love, but I don't want more of the same. I loved RFRG, and I'm excited for the new album :)

I've been thinking lately these past few years how Offspring changed... mtv finally made effect on them... sadly.
As several other people have said, that happened in the mid-90s. Smash was the last album that wasn't heavily influenced by the mainstream.

I consider the real offspring from first album till americana.
And what makes you so special that you think you are in a position to decide what is "real Offspring"? I think the Offspring are the people who get to decide that - not you.

because of their change all of the sudden half of my friends on facebook (who listen to r'n'b, pop and other shit) share the links from the offspring songs such as you're gonna go far kid, freakin kristy are you doing okay, pretty fly... Not even a single song from albums pre americana that have punk rock rhythm and offspring spirit.
You're Gonna Go Far Kid is one of the best songs the Offspring has ever written. And I don't see why it matters what your friends like.

Nowadays it is mostly freaking emo girls and boys who pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to offspring, wear ton of make up, dress in black, smoke and getting drunk as much as possible and as younger ass possible... WTF happened to people?
Punks pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to old Offspring, spike and dye their hair, don't shower, and smoke and drink as much as possible. I see no difference. :)

To be honest i'm not looking forward to this new album... i know that i'm going to be pissed of on their new lyrics,
This is the weirdest part of your post... the last two albums have had MUCH better lyrics than their older songs. Beheaded is one of your go-to examples for good lyrics? I mean, it's a fun song, but I much prefer the lyrics of, say, Half Truism. No contest.

Little_Miss_1565
08-30-2010, 10:26 AM
This is the weirdest part of your post... the last two albums have had MUCH better lyrics than their older songs. Beheaded is one of your go-to examples for good lyrics? I mean, it's a fun song, but I much prefer the lyrics of, say, Half Truism. No contest.

Wow, I missed that part of the original post before. "Beheaded" is cute, but I thought it was way cuter when I was, say, 12 years old than I do now. "Half Truism" is my favorite thing they've done in the past...well, ever.

Oxygene
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, I missed that part of the original post before. "Beheaded" is cute, but I thought it was way cuter when I was, say, 12 years old than I do now. "Half Truism" is my favorite thing they've done in the past...well, ever.

WTF I said that word for word to Dexter... did I tell yout hat? :)

FYI I might be in NYC again in October.. a mojito at friday's? :cool:

Outerspaceman21
08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
My favorite band has four albums, and all four of them are extremely different from each other. I think that's part of why I like them so much. If the Offspring released another album that sounded like "Smash", I probably wouldn't be interested in listening to it. Smash is a great album which I love, but I don't want more of the same. I loved RFRG, and I'm excited for the new album :)

This

And what makes you so special that you think you are in a position to decide what is "real Offspring"? I think the Offspring are the people who get to decide that - not you.

Definitely this

You're Gonna Go Far Kid is one of the best songs the Offspring has ever written. And I don't see why it matters what your friends like.

Oh yeah, dis one.

Punks pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to old Offspring, spike and dye their hair, don't shower, and smoke and drink as much as possible. I see no difference. :)

I agree with this, 100%

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Lol, i'm not stating anything, i'm just giving my opinion as a big fan because i have the right to say what ever i want and express myself... or not? ;)

Punks pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to old Offspring, spike and dye their hair, don't shower, and smoke and drink as much as possible. I see no difference.
I call myself a punker but i dont look like one, maybe i should do those things to become one? ;)

And why are some people repeating the things i already said? I already said that i know that they changed and that they have new subjects to sing about, why are you saying those things over and over again ffs?
And who mentioned Beheaded as my fav song? I just said that i was glad that they had some stuff from the first album... ffs people why are you twisting my words in the way that suit you??

yarock
08-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Being a punker would be such a lame thing.True Offspring listeners are not punkers.

If you are/want to be a punker go listen Blink 182 or Sum 41.

(In today's conditions.I'm not saying anything about 1970s-early 80s era)

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 01:35 PM
True Offspring listeners are not punkers.
Who said that they are O_o

If you are/want to be a punker go listen Blink 182 or Sum 41.

You're freakin kidding me right? Dont give me that mtv sh*t.
Ever heard of a exploited, cigare, nofx, afi, anti-flag, fat prezident... ? No? I thought so, listen to them and try putting your sum41 in the same category with these guys.

mynamewastaken
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM
no... i was saying that rise against seems to be the band that looks up to the offspring.... they want to be like them. if you listen to that first link you notice some of the same stuff from "The End Of The Line" and ummm.... holland25, i thought i was on ur ignore list? plus, if you noticed, i said that i did like Rise Against. although i do believe that no matter what, the will never be as good as the offspring.

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 01:52 PM
no... i was saying that rise against seems to be the band that looks up to the offspring.... they want to be like them. if you listen to that first link you notice some of the same stuff from "The End Of The Line" and ummm.... holland25, i thought i was on ur ignore list? plus, if you noticed, i said that i did like Rise Against. although i do believe that no matter what, the will never be as good as the offspring.
Hehe, next time be more careful because people love to take meaning of your sentences in the way they want, just like mine ^^

Llamas
08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
afi,

I'm fully amused that you listed them as punk in a thread about bands completely changing and being what MTV wants. I love AFI, but they've changed way more than Offspring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz__wHVCNng PUNK RAWK!!!

mynamewastaken
08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fully amused that you listed them as punk in a thread about bands completely changing and being what MTV wants. I love AFI, but they've changed way more than Offspring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz__wHVCNng PUNK RAWK!!!

woah... thats AFI? srsly? didn't even recognise them... they even sound different.

yarock
08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Being a punker would be such a lame thing.True Offspring listeners are not punkers.Who said that they are O_o

I don't know what kind of mental process you're experiencing these days but there is some serious discrepancy going on with your posts in this thread.

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't know what kind of mental process you're experiencing these days but there is some serious discrepancy going on with your posts in this thread.
Haha says the man that dont understand the contexts of my words. :)

yarock
08-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Haha says the man that dont understand the contexts of my words. :)

You should be the next Riddler.Somebody call out Nolan!1!

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 02:30 PM
You should be the next Riddler.Somebody call out Nolan!1!
You dont need to be Einstein to figure out that i said that they changed their sound.

JANNY
08-30-2010, 02:30 PM
yeah the best offspring ever was from first album to Ixnay on the Hombre....and I want old offspring back too....but its not possible and its a pity :(

Anbuhq
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
yeah the best offspring ever was from first album to Ixnay on the Hombre....and I want old offspring back too....but its not possible and its a pity :(
Finally someone that understands me hehe :D

disclaimer_07
08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Dang, I should've known this thread would stir up such a heated discussion.

Man, I do understand you too, it's just that I also fully accept the fact they're different now without whining and bitching about it.

Oxygene
08-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Who said that they are O_o

You're freakin kidding me right? Dont give me that mtv sh*t.
Ever heard of a exploited, cigare, nofx, afi, anti-flag, fat prezident... ? No? I thought so, listen to them and try putting your sum41 in the same category with these guys.

you're right that brown dude from sum 41 who isn't in the band anymore could actually play his instrument...

WebDudette
08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Hehe, next time be more careful because people love to take meaning of your sentences in the way they want, just like mine ^^

I don't know about the rest of the thread, but I didn't do that at all. Here, I'll quote what she said.

try rise against... they're little Offspring wannabe's srsly.

i'm all like, "fuck you... that is NOTHING like the offspring. minus the WOAH-o-ah-oh!" :D

In any case, the Offspring don't owe you shit. They make the music they want to make. If they'd been making the same music since Self-Titled you can bet your sweet ass they'd be called out for being stagnant and not evolving.

Oh yeah, AFI > The Offspring. Yeah, I said it.

JANNY
08-30-2010, 02:55 PM

yeah yeah i like all offspring all albums but old Offspring was best :D

mynamewastaken
08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Dang, I should've known this thread would stir up such a heated discussion.

i didn't even want to look at it cuz i didn't want to get involved

Man, I do understand you too, it's just that I also fully accept the fact they're different now without whining and bitching about it.

exactly.

cool 2 hate 681
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM

i don't understand that video but davey and jade slipping something into a guys drink was pretty funny

WebDudette
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Woah, Davey's hot.

rlplaymaker
08-31-2010, 03:50 PM
you know its a good thread if I'm actually going to reply to it...anyways.

Look, the offspring is a group of dudes that play music. They don't have a strategy, or an agenda. They write music based off how they're feeling, songs that they want people to hear. They don't write music based off how people will feel about it, nor do they probably care. If they cared, they'd sound like a fall out boy or all american rejects...NOTHING against those bands at all. what i mean is they are very popular, and if the offspring wanted popularity, they'd be alot different than they are now. the offspring isn't all too popular in the main stream, so to say they are catering their music for popularity is absurd.

The offspring are unique, they arent some band who can't grow up, like NOFX or bad religion, they've changed. I'd laugh at a 'punk' band consisting of 45 year olds singing about not wanting to listen to their parents. The offspring's past is amazing, and i love their energetic skate punk from yesteryear. But they're growing up, and while they still have their sound, that distinct offspring vibe, their music has understandably changed along with the band.

I for one, don't want to hear the same album over and over again. Dexter Holland has a gift for writing lyrics, and his words have hit home since i was a kid. I really think that as they grow up, I grow up with them. I really hate the threads where people 'want another smash' or 'hope this next one sounds like ixnay'. Thats boring. You can still like the band, listen to the old stuff. DOn't buy new albums from the offspring, that way you can't be disappointed, can you?

The offspring are going to keep writing the songs they want to write, regardless of what others might think. and while the riffs might have mellowed and the piano is a bit more prevalant...i think thats the punkest thing they could ever do.

sorry for the novel...and PS 'TRUPUNX' is the gayest thing I have ever read. stop it, stop it now.

andrea.
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't know why someone didn't delete this thread??? :confused:
I think we all have proved our points..

The Offspring can't go back in past when they were
rebellious teens...
Now they are all grown up and they
want to "talk" (sing) about some different topics.

"You live like there's no tomorow..".. - Nitro (Youth Energy)

DennisD
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I think ALL of The offsprings albums are grrrrrreat!!!! How can you stop at Americana? Its all good!

JANNY
08-31-2010, 04:54 PM
I think ALL of The offsprings albums are grrrrrreat!!!! How can you stop at Americana? Its all good!

you cannot compare for example Smash with Americana....Smash and albums before are old punk......later its only Pop_Punk...its not the same Offspring :(
but I love all albums too :D

Walla_Walla 93
08-31-2010, 08:34 PM

It makes me really sad how they changed to "worse", by worse i dont think they suck or anything like that, they do sound great but wheres the punk rock spirit from the first few albums? I'm really fucked up with the rise and fall rage and grace... because of their change all of the sudden half of my friends on facebook (who listen to r'n'b, pop and other shit) share the links from the offspring songs such as you're gonna go far kid, freakin kristy are you doing okay, pretty fly... Not even a single song from albums pre americana that have punk rock rhythm and offspring spirit. Thats also helped me to come to this conclusion...

Back in the days when someone would mention offspring fans, they were thinking about the punkers, rockers, skins etc. Nowadays it is mostly freaking emo girls and boys who pretend to be young and crazy just because they listen to offspring, wear ton of make up, dress in black, smoke and getting drunk as much as possible and as younger ass possible... WTF happened to people?

I think that i have right to write this because Offspring is my favorite band, and i'm one of the luckiest persons in the world which first cassette that he bought was offsprings one when he was just 8 years old (nostalgia) :)
I'm really true fan of the offspring, the first band i started to listen was offspring, and i want it to be the last one i hear.

Not even a single day has passed that i didn't listened to one song of them, offspring music is part of my life because i dont think that i would be the person that i am today if there wasn't offspring that helped me in difficult times of my life... and there were plenty of them.

So it really makes me sad to see how my favorite band is changing and becoming one of the mtv's money bringers... they became alternative of what they used to be. I know they are not thinking about the money, i know that the times are changing, i know they are getting older, having different points of view on life and things but... its just not the same as it was.

To be honest i'm not looking forward to this new album... i know that i'm going to be pissed of on their new lyrics, how they sound like etc... I just know. Is it that hard to sound like you used to sound in the past, something like all i want, hopeless, beheaded, gotta get away, thousand days... Yeah i'm hopeless now.

I'm really pissed off now because i feel like while i'm writing this that i'm going to start crying how sad it makes me. I hope you fans understand me because i love them more than any other band, just like you do.

ps. sry for bad english

Being a little to melodramatic don't ya think?

holland25
09-01-2010, 01:25 AM
you cannot compare for example Smash with Americana....Smash and albums before are old punk......later its only Pop_Punk...its not the same Offspring :(
but I love all albums too :D

Nah, bullshit. Smash is punk, but Ignition is a pop-punk album. S/T is strongly influenced by metal and grunge.

dexterone
09-01-2010, 02:56 AM
and Splinter is not pop-punk too...I would say,something like alternative...or rock...RAFRAG probably too...but I don't care,what style it is...

Anbuhq
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Being a little to melodramatic don't ya think?
No, i just expressed my thoughts and feelings about my favorite band.

Llamas
09-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I think it's funny when people say everything after Smash was pop punk. Self Titled was the only one that wasn't really poppy, and as someone else in the thread said, that album was their most generic. I love s/t, but if any of their albums lacked a signature Offspring sound, it was that one. It was a pretty generic punk album with generic punk lyrics. I think the only reason I dig it a lot is because it's the Offspring's roots - it's very cool to see how they progressed from there, and really became themselves.

And Smash... this album has its fair share of pop, too, kids. Genocide, Something to Believe in, obviously Self Esteem and Come Out and Play are pretty poppy... and What Happened to You?

you know its a good thread if I'm actually going to reply to it...anyways.

Look, the offspring is a group of dudes that play music. They don't have a strategy, or an agenda. They write music based off how they're feeling, songs that they want people to hear. They don't write music based off how people will feel about it, nor do they probably care. If they cared, they'd sound like a fall out boy or all american rejects...NOTHING against those bands at all. what i mean is they are very popular, and if the offspring wanted popularity, they'd be alot different than they are now. the offspring isn't all too popular in the main stream, so to say they are catering their music for popularity is absurd.

The offspring are unique, they arent some band who can't grow up, like NOFX or bad religion, they've changed. I'd laugh at a 'punk' band consisting of 45 year olds singing about not wanting to listen to their parents. The offspring's past is amazing, and i love their energetic skate punk from yesteryear. But they're growing up, and while they still have their sound, that distinct offspring vibe, their music has understandably changed along with the band.

I for one, don't want to hear the same album over and over again. Dexter Holland has a gift for writing lyrics, and his words have hit home since i was a kid. I really think that as they grow up, I grow up with them. I really hate the threads where people 'want another smash' or 'hope this next one sounds like ixnay'. Thats boring. You can still like the band, listen to the old stuff. DOn't buy new albums from the offspring, that way you can't be disappointed, can you?

The offspring are going to keep writing the songs they want to write, regardless of what others might think. and while the riffs might have mellowed and the piano is a bit more prevalant...i think thats the punkest thing they could ever do.

sorry for the novel...and PS 'TRUPUNX' is the gayest thing I have ever read. stop it, stop it now.

I like this post a lot.

I know this comment makes me kind of an asshole, but if you only like the Offspring's older "punk" music, you need to open your mind. Even if the Offspring stopped writing rock music altogether and started playing violins and timpani, they're still the Offspring. They define who they are and what kind of music they write. If you can't stand them being popular or changing, stfu and get a life. If you just genuinely don't care for the new songs, stop buying their albums, and also stfu.

Outerspaceman21
09-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I know this comment makes me kind of an asshole, but if you only like the Offspring's older "punk" music, you need to open your mind. Even if the Offspring stopped writing rock music altogether and started playing violins and timpani, they're still the Offspring. They define who they are and what kind of music they write. If you can't stand them being popular or changing, stfu and get a life. If you just genuinely don't care for the new songs, stop buying their albums, and also stfu.

I definitely agree with that. People who make these kind of threads seem like they have a closed mind about music.

I should just wait until Ilovellamas makes a post in a thread because, 9 times out of 10, she says what I want to say but clearer and more well thought out.

Anbuhq
09-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I definitely agree with that. People who make these kind of threads seem like they have a closed mind about music.

Even thou i'm open minded about music and i play 2 instruments and i had my own band? Stfu and be smart ass somewhere else.
You people are too fu*king in love with offspring that you are too sensitive if someone writes something that doesn't fit you.

@ilovellamas
Just because i wrote my opinion i dont have a life? What are you, 9yo or just stupid?

WebDudette
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't even like Offspring, but it pisses me off that you think they owe you something or need to play the music you want them to play. On top of that, everyone is tired of seeing this thread, we get like 1 a month.

Anbuhq
09-01-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't even like Offspring, but it pisses me off that you think they owe you something or need to play the music you want them to play.
They dont own me nothing because i owe them.
I'm not retarded like some of guys to think that way. Even thou i'm not in love in their newer albums like you i still know all the lyrics and half of songs how to play on guitar. I just preffer older offspring. FU*KING GET IT?

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm not retarded like some of guys to think that way. Even thou i'm not in love in their newer albums like you i still know all the lyrics and half of songs how to play on guitar. I just preffer older offspring. FU*KING GET IT?

Well, if that's the case, I think it would have been super awesome of you to state that from the beginning instead of tearing them a new asshole for evolving and begging them to go back to your ideal of how they should be. Yes?

Anbuhq
09-01-2010, 12:20 PM
HAHA I said that they sound great, havent I? (go back to first post and read it once moar) :)

disclaimer_07
09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm afraid this thread has moved to a point where everyone is only echoing something blatantly obvious from the very beginning.

So let's just cut to the chase and once again address the essential part of the original post:

Not possible.

Anbuhq
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm afraid this thread has moved to a point where everyone is only echoing something blatantly obvious from the very beginning.

So let's just cut to the chase and once again address the essential part of the original post:

Not possible.
Aye :)

Please, I want my Offspring back: metaphor for i miss the good ol' offspring :)
But as usual people like to take their anger and frustration on the internet so they write silly stuff :D

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Aye :)

Please, I want my Offspring back: metaphor for i miss the good ol' offspring :)
But as usual people like to take their anger and frustration on the internet so they write silly stuff :D

It's totally understandable that a non-native English speaker won't have the same command of the language as a native speaker, but why not accept that perhaps you weren't entirely clear instead of blaming others for not understanding you?

JANNY
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Nah, bullshit. Smash is punk, but Ignition is a pop-punk album. S/T is strongly influenced by metal and grunge.

ok okey....but for me its punk.....:D

Outerspaceman21
09-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Even thou i'm open minded about music and i play 2 instruments and i had my own band? Stfu and be smart ass somewhere else.
You people are too fu*king in love with offspring that you are too sensitive if someone writes something that doesn't fit you.

Dude, cool your jets. I apologize if I offended you, but this is just based off the general impression I and other members getting from your post. In my tenure with this forum, I've seen way to many post about how new offspring sucks and they should go back to how they used to be.

RageAndLov
09-07-2010, 04:48 PM
But you see, it's not YOUR Offspring.

offsrx
09-08-2010, 01:05 AM
How old are you?
Hehe when I was 12 years old - my older brother bought on 28.June.2000. - Americana album :)
It was a breakthrough in my life, and thanks to Americana - I've started to listen to - Rock music. Also thanks to Americana - I wanted to became a proffesional musician, just like the Offspring are, and right now i'm making my dream come true.
So why do you hate Americana? To me it's THE GREATEST album of all time, and I think that you and I are - very nostalgic (americana was on cassete). And every year on June 28. I listen to that 10 year old cassete, and it brings me a lot of good memories.
So what album did you got when you were 8.?
I pretty much like alternative music, and i very much like RAFRAG (except for "fix you", i really hate that song), and I think it has cool - punk tunes, cool ballads, cool alternative songs, and it has less "pretty fly effect" so I like it.
My top 3 favourite offspring albums are - Americana, Ixnay, and Smash(yes, smash on 3rd place), and the rest follow - either they have good songs, but generally quallity of those 3 - i think it's hard to replicate.

Mary 13
09-08-2010, 05:06 AM
_Self Titled. Ignition. Smash. Are all 'punk' and their "Die-Hard-Fans" know that.

_Americana. Splinter. Ixnay. CO1. Are all a Diversity of a great Variety experimental forms of the human's open-minded individuality.

_GH. RFRG. Are all a Dynamic fondtamental of making music that much extra special and meaningful to touch some one's heart.

_Why sell a record with lyrics of ....killing is fucking good, 'cuz my life takes upon a shit in my neighboor hood with my fugly-ass-skanky-hoe sucking on another pimp's dick; while my ghetto ride is parked at the near by gas station! :eek: WTF? *coughs* *:confused:* *sighs*

_I can listen to lyrics with funny scenerios and serious cases of this world's generation.

_Well, at least I am humble to say that The Offspring's future is brighter/unique.

PS: I've said my peace... much love.

holland25
09-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Bah, this thread sucks.

SMASHedTHEignition
09-08-2010, 05:32 AM
haha this thread is such a waste of space, whiiinnngggeeee hahahahaha

weezly
09-09-2010, 01:29 AM
the the person who started this post.... on behalf of the entire band, i would like to apoligise to you... im sorry that dexter wrote "freakin kristy" im sorry that you dont approve of a song, that is obviously a heart felt song about real things, real things commonly known as life... im sorry it wasnt a song about that kind of topic at 220bpm... im sorry... no wait im not sorry, neither is the band... in fact kristy is epic live.

Mary 13
09-09-2010, 04:12 AM

ps. sry for bad english

Obviously...

It sounds to me that your not absolutely a real fan of theirs. Otherwise, you won't be coming here and post such negativity to a bands official website!

What's wrong with Kristy? That particular song was written for some one Dexter used to know. I love that song because of its real meanings.

Come on now, this is too basic information. You can come up with a more valid excuse to want your band back. How can you not like their music?

Don't be so judgemental/critical in behalf of their stuff. Be confident about it. Enjoy the precious moments while blasting them in your room; etc... :)

Without us, the fans, they've be nothing. Losers! But thanks to all of us, the fans, they are what they are a great successful band!

This band is a rare one to keep. I just love how humble they are and real. I hope you can changed your mind about them in the future. Good luck! Chances are, The Offspring will always be known as punk rock legends.

PS: I can go on about them for hours and hours but I'm only human.

Walla_Walla 93
09-09-2010, 08:10 PM

Theres no need to get defensive man. Music is entirely based on opinion. No one can really say you are wrong. Personally I think each of their albums have their own sound that makes it stand out. The only one I can say that was disappointing was Conspiracy of One. Even then, it had some awesome tunes.