PDA

View Full Version : What Microphone is Dexter using?

offsrx
09-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Hey guys - I'm going to buy myself a microphone but - I don't know which one! So i'm analysing on - what microphones are using my favourite rock singers, and it seems that a lot of them are using Shure mics.
But what is Dexter using?
Is that a dynamic or condeser mic?
perhaps on this picture:
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rockmusicreview.jpg

disclaimer_07
09-06-2010, 06:07 AM
It's a dynamic microphone. Or at least it looks like one. I'm no expert, but I think condenser mics are often used in studios for recording vocals, they are much more sensitive to background noise though - that's probably the reason why singers use dynamic mics in live performances.

Oxygene
09-06-2010, 06:58 AM
wasn't their gear listed a while back?

let me look

edit:
his mic wasn't listed sorry...

edit2:
doesn't this belong in GOD

_Lost_
09-06-2010, 07:44 AM
what purpose is this microphone for?

If I remember correctly, the most common stage mic used by professionals is from Shure. Don't remember which one in particular though. About a hundred bucks a pop;

PietroBlood
09-06-2010, 10:18 AM
He use Audix microphones

Little_Miss_1565
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
If I remember correctly, the most common stage mic used by professionals is from Shure. Don't remember which one in particular though. About a hundred bucks a pop;

I believe you're talking about the SM-58. A real workhorse of a mic. I have an SM-58 Beta -- it's a little brighter and more sensitive than the SM-58. But that is not a Shure mic that Dexter is using in that photo.

He use Audix microphones

Just googled for some images...looks like it could be an Audix.

Ryder1234
09-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Definitely looks like an Audix mic now that I've looked some up. Compare it to this mic

http://acorn-designs.com/shopping/images/OM-5.JPG

I don't know if that's the exact one, but it looks exactly like it.

Tijs
09-06-2010, 02:05 PM
This sound technician on the Audix website mentions that he toured with The Offspring, and it's a relatively recent interview though it doesn't mention the tours he did with the band.

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/latest_news/EkZZZVZpkVMgIvcPYA.shtml

offsrx
09-07-2010, 12:57 AM
I believe you're talking about the SM-58. A real workhorse of a mic. I have an SM-58 Beta -- it's a little brighter and more sensitive than the SM-58. But that is not a Shure mic that Dexter is using in that photo.

Just googled for some images...looks like it could be an Audix.

So what's the difference between SM 58 BETA, and BETA 58 A?
I've seen on Shure web site that Serj tanakian, and chad kroeger, and sammy hagar are using BETA 58A.

I won't buy new mic - because, used ones are cheaper, and I can get more quality microphone for less money:p

It's a dynamic microphone. Or at least it looks like one. I'm no expert, but I think condenser mics are often used in studios for recording vocals, they are much more sensitive to background noise though - that's probably the reason why singers use dynamic mics in live performances.

But I've seen that Mike Patton is using KSM9 - which is about 700$, but it's - a condeser mic, with some kind of gold coils.. I'm pretty shure that there is a difference on stage between SM58 and KSM9.. Yes, Dex's mic is a dynamic one.

I've shown this picture (dexter holland's) to my friend, and he told me that it's Electro Voice Microphone..
What do you guys think?
Or should I just cut the crap and ask Dexter himself on "Ask dexter H, a question" thread...
?

offsrx
09-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Look! I guess I've been found on who artist is using Audix mics:

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/user_stories/whos_using_audix_1.shtml

But I don't see there Dexter Holland, nor Offspring..
As for that interview, it's just mentioned that that guy was working as technician, and engeneer with a lot of famous bands, but it does not says that Dexter uses Audix microphone.

Smashou
09-07-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a SM-58 Mic

Little_Miss_1565
09-07-2010, 08:14 AM
So what's the difference between SM 58 BETA, and BETA 58 A?
I've seen on Shure web site that Serj tanakian, and chad kroeger, and sammy hagar are using BETA 58A.

I won't buy new mic - because, used ones are cheaper, and I can get more quality microphone for less money:p

But I've seen that Mike Patton is using KSM9 - which is about 700$, but it's - a condeser mic, with some kind of gold coils.. I'm pretty shure that there is a difference on stage between SM58 and KSM9.. Yes, Dex's mic is a dynamic one.

Like I said in the post you quoted...the Beta SM-58 has a brighter sound
and is more sensitive than the regular SM-58. It's right for some people, not for others. But like the SM-58, it's pretty sturdy and can hold up to the beating it gets on tour.

There are condenser mics made that look like dynamic mics that some singers tour with and use onstage. Not surprised that Patton might use one -- makes sense with his style of singing. Doesn't sound like you're at a stage yet where you'd need to make that sort of investment in a mic, though. And keep in mind -- using the same mic or amp or effects or settings as another musician you admire won't make you sound like them.

Look! I guess I've been found on who artist is using Audix mics:

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/user_stories/whos_using_audix_1.shtml

But I don't see there Dexter Holland, nor Offspring..
As for that interview, it's just mentioned that that guy was working as technician, and engeneer with a lot of famous bands, but it does not says that Dexter uses Audix microphone.

Please reread Tijs' reply in this thread. ;)

offsrx
09-08-2010, 12:50 AM
There are condenser mics made that look like dynamic mics that some singers tour with and use onstage. Not surprised that Patton might use one -- makes sense with his style of singing. Doesn't sound like you're at a stage yet where you'd need to make that sort of investment in a mic, though. And keep in mind -- using the same mic or amp or effects or settings as another musician you admire won't make you sound like them.

I've never said that I want to sound like singers I admire. Maybe you should reread my posts. I've just wanted to know what kind of equipment they use, so that I know what's the best for me, because I didn't had much gigs, and I see that as for singing - there are a lot of variables that effect singing.

Please reread Tijs' reply in this thread. ;)

What? I need information what mic is he using, not what technician worked with them...
So nobody has idea?

offsrx
09-08-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a SM-58 Mic

If you mean on this one :
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/rockmusicreview.jpg then you are wrong.. SM 58 is a cable mic, this one is wierless

Mary 13
09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Hm, why don't you asked him yourself in his Ask Dexter Holland a Question/thread. :)

offsrx
09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Hm, why don't you asked him yourself in his Ask Dexter Holland a Question/thread. :)

I've mentioned that idea, but nobody said if I should.
Well wtf, I guess I'll do it.. But if he does not responds me, I'll keep this thread alive :D

Mary 13
09-09-2010, 04:19 AM
I've mentioned that idea, but nobody said if I should.
Well wtf, I guess I'll do it.. But if he does not responds me, I'll keep this thread alive :D

Good luck! Stay positive. Be confident. Dexter Holland will soon answer your excellent question!

:cool:

_Lost_
09-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks sarah, thats the one I was thinking of.

For serious... listen to moi. Shure Sm-58 is THE standard for performance dynamic mics in rock, theater, etc. They've been around for eons and new ones will cost you about $100. Its the best affordable dynamic mic you can get. He may not be using one in that picture, but I guarantee you that he has used one in the past and they probably still have them around.

Little_Miss_1565
09-09-2010, 09:25 AM
For serious... listen to moi. Shure Sm-58 is THE standard for performance dynamic mics in rock, theater, etc. They've been around for eons and new ones will cost you about $100. Its the best affordable dynamic mic you can get. He may not be using one in that picture, but I guarantee you that he has used one in the past and they probably still have them around.

Seconding these wise words.

offsrx
09-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks sarah, thats the one I was thinking of.

I didn't said anything wrong about sm58, and yes I know that is standard bla,blabla....
I was just wondering which mic is he using on that picture that I've posted.
Please don't give me answers that I know, or answers on questions that i didn't asked.

offsrx
09-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Good luck! Stay positive. Be confident. Dexter Holland will soon answer your excellent question!
:cool:

Nice! Thank you Mary (Me) ;)

_Lost_
09-11-2010, 08:10 AM
You want to know what mic he is using because you want to be like dexter. if you were really trying to figure out the type of mic that is for you, you would go to a music store and try them out. If you are trying to figure that out by looking online and asking what your "fav celebs" are trending right now so you can order one online, you are full of shit.

"If you mean on this one :
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-cont...usicreview.jpg then you are wrong.. SM 58 is a cable mic, this one is wierless"

And case in point that you don't know what you are talking about, you can buy a wireless sm-58. We have them in the theater at my school. Use 'em for major productions all the time. Its even on musiciansfriend.com

If you are planning on going wireless, it's gonna cost four times the premium or you are gonna have a crap mic and receiver (wireless shure mic costs $400 compared to $100 for the wired one). I've been dealing with this shit since I was 14.

And used is gross. A properly used mic has someone's spit and mucous all over it.

And finally, why do you think you can go by an off-angle picture that doesn't show any defining details about the mic. You can try to argue that the windscreen on his doesn't match this that or the other, but those can and often will get replaced from time to time (like i said germs. gross).

offsrx
09-12-2010, 05:46 AM
You want to know what mic he is using because you want to be like dexter. if you were really trying to figure out the type of mic that is for you, you would go to a music store and try them out. If you are trying to figure that out by looking online and asking what your "fav celebs" are trending right now so you can order one online, you are full of shit.

"If you mean on this one :
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-cont...usicreview.jpg then you are wrong.. SM 58 is a cable mic, this one is wierless"

And case in point that you don't know what you are talking about, you can buy a wireless sm-58. We have them in the theater at my school. Use 'em for major productions all the time. Its even on musiciansfriend.com

If you are planning on going wireless, it's gonna cost four times the premium or you are gonna have a crap mic and receiver (wireless shure mic costs $400 compared to $100 for the wired one). I've been dealing with this shit since I was 14.

And used is gross. A properly used mic has someone's spit and mucous all over it.

And finally, why do you think you can go by an off-angle picture that doesn't show any defining details about the mic. You can try to argue that the windscreen on his doesn't match this that or the other, but those can and often will get replaced from time to time (like i said germs. gross).

The cows are in the barn.

Little_Miss_1565
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't know why you're trying to insult her -- she's right, dude.

Oxygene
09-13-2010, 02:01 AM
I don't know why you're trying to insult her -- she's right, dude.

That was an attempt at an insult?

Outerspaceman21
09-13-2010, 02:16 AM

A failed attempt, it seems. I think she'll be more insulted but the failed attempt rather it had been successful.

But she's right bro. Gotta go out there and see for yourself rather then just dropping a whole bunch of dough on something just because Dexter Holland uses it. Who knows, it may sound more like crap then you expected it to, then you are stuck with a shitty mic that doesn't make you sound good at all.

Omni
09-13-2010, 03:20 AM
When I was young, I had a microphone with a button that, when pressed, would play various song snippets.

I don't recommend that one.

mspunk13
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
SM58 is probably the best microphone to start with but I'm not so sure it's the one that Dexter is using. His mic could be a Beyer, Audix, Rode as well. Still, I'd get the SM58 if I were you.

offsrx
09-13-2010, 11:44 PM

When I was young, I had a microphone with a button that, when pressed, would play various song snippets.
I don't recommend that one.

Hahahaha, thumbs up for these two posts :D

offsrx
09-13-2010, 11:54 PM
A failed attempt, it seems. I think she'll be more insulted but the failed attempt rather it had been successful.

But she's right bro. Gotta go out there and see for yourself rather then just dropping a whole bunch of dough on something just because Dexter Holland uses it. Who knows, it may sound more like crap then you expected it to, then you are stuck with a shitty mic that doesn't make you sound good at all.

Oh please guys - could you stop with this?
This thread was not created so that everyone could tell me what should I do, this thread was created, so that I get a true information - WHAT IS THAT MICROPHONE IN HIS HAND????
I've never said that I'll buy that mic, I just want to fucking know what fucking microphone is he using! Please guys gimme a little brake okay?
And lets focus on main discussion:
What's the microphone that he's using?
:http://www.offspring.com/forums/album.php?albumid=741&pictureid=7758

So your suggestions are that this is Beyer, Audix, and my friend told me it's EV.

And as for myself - I won't buy the motherfucking SM58, because I've been singing on it, and I don't like the way it works. I think I can get a better mic for more money, so don't worry - I won't mistake. But lets find out what's in Dex's hands, shall we?:)

_Lost_
09-14-2010, 07:49 AM
and finally, why do you think you can go by an off-angle picture that doesn't show any defining details about the mic. You can try to argue that the windscreen on his doesn't match this that or the other, but those can and often will get replaced from time to time (like i said germs. Gross).

. .

mspunk13
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Here's a good picture of the microphone:
To me, it totally looks like an Audix OM5, OM6 or OM7.

offsrx
09-15-2010, 03:17 AM
Here's a good picture of the microphone:
To me, it totally looks like an Audix OM5, OM6 or OM7.

Yess it is, that's the picture that I've put link in the first place.
Thank you for you're cooperation, I'll check that