PDA

View Full Version : Dear BBS

Paint_It_Black
09-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Dear BBS,

I discovered recently that I can access this forum from the computer I sit at for half the night at work. So to help me procrastinate more efficiently I'm going to need you all to start posting more frequently. Funny and interesting is a bonus but honestly I'll read anything if it's that or do my work.

Sincerely,
PiB

SåS
09-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I face the same dilemma at school.

Post up peeps!

Outerspaceman21
09-13-2010, 02:11 AM
*cracks knuckles* time to find random shit to talk about.

My Name Was Taken
09-13-2010, 04:44 AM
yet this was the only thing posted in the past two hours...

seriously people, did you really think i was gone?

WebDudette
09-13-2010, 05:17 AM
What? Who are you?

My Name Was Taken
09-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Mynamewastaken, DUH! USERNAME?

dff_punk
09-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, why did you make a new account?

My Name Was Taken
09-13-2010, 05:57 AM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1416379#post1416379

My Name Was Taken
09-13-2010, 06:16 AM
i must say, it is very difficult to type my username w/ all of the spaces... old habits die hard

wheelchairman
09-13-2010, 06:50 AM
As I'm turning 24 I've realized something.

I feel the same as I did in high school. However I can't seem to tolerate anyone that age. They just get on my nerves.

They just seem dumber than they should be.

Omni
09-13-2010, 09:49 AM

I feel the same as I did in high school. However I can't seem to tolerate anyone that age. They just get on my nerves.

I know what you mean, I'm 22, and I feel pretty much the same way. I also don't really feel an attraction to girls who look like they may be in high school. I just naturally expect them to have interests I think are really stupid or something like that, and it really lowers my interest.

I'm sure I'm being way more judgmental and/or generalizing more than I have a right to. It's not like I'm a genius or have refined tastes or something. I guess it just doesn't take very many years for your interests and life priorities to mature and change drastically. Five or six years doesn't seem like a long time, but the mind of yourself at 21 and yourself at 17 make you pretty much an entirely different person.

Paint_It_Black
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm approaching 29 and I feel perhaps a little different than I did at 18, but not much. It didn't start to kick in at all until my mid-twenties. Working full time and seeing my friends less because they moved further away and our schedules don't match etc. I'm just starting to think of myself as a grown-up now that 30 is in sight and I can't say I really approve. Being a full decade removed from my teenage self is a surreal concept.

I tend to think of anyone around 23 or younger as a kid now. They look so young. Anyone younger than 20 is just obnoxious. None of this is probably helped by the fact that I spend most of my time with people older than me.

calichix
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM

I feel that way about everything. kids shows then vs. kids shows now, music then vs music now, "general knowledge" then vs "general knowledge" now, the vocabulary used in the movies...

sometimes I think that every year young people are getting exponentially more retarded, but then I reflect on 1999. :\

Omni
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
It's absurd to think that any one generation got it "right" when it came to good media and passtimes, but every generation seems to think they're the one. I'd like to think I don't shun everything new, but I certainly don't welcome any new gimmick or gadget with the open arms I would have as a kid. Maybe it's just in adult nature to become more critical of what's proposed as the next big thing, while still keeping the nostalgia of what was big when you were a kid. So we all know the theory that everyone else is getting dumber with each year is probably a crock.

Like I see this "When I was a kid, we had Kenan and Kel, not Drake and Josh" shit on Facebook all the time. Both of those shows are fucking horrid, who are we kidding here?

Harleyquiiinn
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
It's absurd to think that any one generation got it "right" when it came to good media and passtimes, but every generation seems to think they're the one. I'd like to think I don't shun everything new, but I certainly don't welcome any new gimmick or gadget with the open arms I would have as a kid. Maybe it's just in adult nature to become more critical of what's proposed as the next big thing, while still keeping the nostalgia of what was big when you were a kid. So we all know the theory that everyone else is getting dumber with each year is probably a crock.

Like I see this "When I was a kid, we had Kenan and Kel, not Drake and Josh" shit on Facebook all the time. Both of those shows are fucking horrid, who are we kidding here?

When I was a kid, Kenan was playing in Mighty Ducks 2...and THAT was great.

Anyway, I feel pretty much the same.

Except that when I see kids with Helys shoes, I close my eyes and wish I go back to 12 year old just so I can get a pair of those and don't look ridiculous.

WebDudette
09-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm 19 and I can't stand most people my age and certainly can't stand most people younger than me. We don't share many interests, and as far as general knowledge, it's nonexistent. I was talking to a girl the other day about geography and I brought up a map. She pointed at Africa and was like 'so, this is Asia, right?', she thinks China is it's own continent, Spain is in South America, Uruguay is in Spain, and God knows what else. Then a few days later, she says 'I'm pretty much and infant when it comes to geology', oh man. I was listening to the radio, kids who are 15-16 years old right now, don't know what the Cold War was, who Nirvana are, who the Vice President is, or really anything at all for that matter.

The good news is, teenage pregnancy is at a 65 year low, or something like that. Even still, I know maybe 6 girls my age or younger who are pregnant or already have a kid.

Free?
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I feel like this will fit in this thread and where discussion went to.

Photosynthesis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQMVHhxTtLc)

Well I guess I should confess that I am starting to get old
All the latest music fads all passed me by and left me cold
All the kids are talking slang I won't pretend to understand
All my friends are getting married, mortagages and pension plans
And it's obvious my angry adolescent days are done
And I'm happy and I'm settled in the person I've become
But that doesn't mean I'm settled up and sitting out the game
Time may change alot but some things may stay the same

And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And most of all I will not grow up
And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And most of all I yeah I won't grow up

Oh maturity's a wrapped up package deal so it seems
And ditching teenage fantasy means ditching all your dreams
All your friends and peers and family solomnly tell you you will
Have to grow up be an adult yeah be bored and unfulfilled
Oh when no ones yet explained to me exactly what's so great
About slaving 50 years away on something that you hate, about meekly shuffling down the path of mediocrity
Well if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me

And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And most of all I yeah I won't grow up
And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up

And if all you ever do with your life
Is just photosynthesize
Then you deserve every hour of these sleepless nights
That you waste wondering when you're gonna die

Now I'll play and you sing
The perfect way for the evening to begin
Now I'll play and you sing
The perfect way for the evening to begin

And I won't sit down
And I won't shut up
And most of all yeah I won't grow up

_Lost_
09-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Of course kids are getting dumber. They aren't required to behave or work hard in school to learn things, because if they aren't immediately good at, let's say, geography ~ "Oh that must not be their forte, they are such a free spirit!" Then you get screaming kids running around a bakery, climbing on the furniture like its a jungle gym, and a hand full of parents who just don't give a shit because they don't want to dampen said spirit. And if you have the temerity to complain, you're the bad guy for creating a not family friendly environment. I understand that the cake you are ordering is for your child, but I shouldn't have to talk over their screaming to make sure your order is correct. They shouldn't be there. A toddler can't finish one of those cupcakes on their own anyway, so why in the fuck are they there?

I just stand there dumbfounded. When I was a little kid, if I started fussing, my parents took me out of the public venue and kick my butt if i didn't shut up. There was no "reasoning" with me or my siblings. How people honestly believe that you can reason with a 3 year old is beyond me. "Billy, mommy can't order your cake with you screaming like that." "BUT I WANT A CUPCAKE" "Well if you'll just hold on for a couple of minutes, mommy will get you one. Just let me finish this order." "AHHHGHHGHGHG CUPCAKE AHAHAHA WANT ONE! AHGGHGHGHHH" "I'm sorry about that, just ignore him. Where were we?" "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

The same rules applied to homework and studying.

WebDudette
09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
New Hampshire is doing away with mid-terms and finals. This stuff always makes me angry. 'Well, it makes the stupider kids feel stupid', fuck that, they need to feel stupid. They do it with sports and stuff too. Stop rewarding mediocrity, apathy, idiots, and losers.

_Lost_
09-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Wtf? How are the stupid kids supposed to figure out that they need to study?

Apathy
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Stop rewarding mediocrity apathy.

Hey now. I've done nothing wrong here.

SåS
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
^ hahaha nice.

I can't really get along with alot of people my age, they're either too close minded or just plain stupid, like when people rip on me for using so cal "big words", yeah maybe some of my vocab is abit obscure but fuck, I would rather that than whatever people are saying these days, and it isnt just that, its just people's views on the world that piss me off, people don't realise how fucked up the world is becuase they're too busy with there own lives.

Also immaturity with music these days, if people can honestly say T-pain is a better musician than Kurt Cobain, then they fucking shit for brains.

WebDudette
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
You're not a native English speaker, are you?

Also, Nirvana and Kurt Cobain suck.

SåS
09-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I am, I just use words others wouldn't.

Thats your opinion, you atleast gotta admit they have more musical talent than alot of todays music, not saying all todays music is bad, there is still good music out there, i'll even give kudos to some r&b and pop.

_Lost_
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, he proves the point.

Joel, stop talking.

Llamas
09-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I am, I just use words others wouldn't.

Thats your opinion, you atleast gotta admit they have more musical talent than alot of todays music, not saying all todays music is bad, there is still good music out there, i'll even give kudos to some r&b and pop.

Sorry, but you don't use any words that aren't completely normal... I think he was commenting more on your atrocious grammar and spelling.

SåS
09-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry, but you don't use any words that aren't completely normal... I think he was commenting more on your atrocious grammar and spelling.

Hahaha sorry, Im pretty out of it at the moment, I'll just stop, Im in school right now and I am %50 focusing on whatever the teacher is saying and %50 on what Im posting.

JohnnyNemesis
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
you're all scum

Paint_It_Black
09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
you're all scum

<3

Stop rewarding mediocrity, apathy, idiots, and losers.

<3

Wtf? How are the stupid kids supposed to figure out that they need to study?

They don't need to study. Education is not for everyone. That's the big lie we've been telling kids for too long. That they can all be whatever they want to be if they just study hard. Even the dumb ones. Not only is it not true and just setting them up for disappointment but it would also be terrible for society if it were true. We don't need thousands of astronauts. We need people to flip hamburgers and collect our trash. We'd have a big problem if everyone thought they were too good to do these jobs. And it leads to the idea that people who do these jobs have somehow failed, but these less desirable jobs are incredibly important to society. So we end up with people doing these unappealing jobs for little pay and they can't even feel good about their functional importance to society because they were raised with the expectation of being President one day.

Lying to children under the pretense of making them feel better is a total sham. It actually just makes the adults telling the lies feel better. The children will eventually figure out the lie and feel worse for it in the long term. The primary responsibility we as adults have towards children is to adequately prepare them for adulthood. You can't do that and make them happy all the time. Sure, a happy childhood is great. But they're going to be adults for a lot longer. Give them the knowledge, skills, expectations and thought processes that will actually help them in their real adult life. If you make them think everyone is a winner now you'll just make them feel like a bigger loser later.

They do it with sports and stuff too.

Like when everybody gets to win something, or when they don't keep track of scores so nobody feels bad for losing? Yeah, fuck that shit. You need to learn to lose. Also, once the kids realize this is all a sham it's done no good anyway and you've actually deprived the winners of feeling genuinely proud of a win. Nothing beats actually succeeding in something and knowing you fully earned it. But to fully appreciate it you have to know what losing feels like.

I should clarify what I meant when I said education isn't for everyone. I believe strongly in giving young children as much education as possible. But when it becomes clear that your child is not really the academic type it's time to switch your emphasis to teaching them practical things, and let them know that plumbers are just as important as lawyers and doctors.

calichix
09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm talking teletubbies and other shows with fluffy people squeeking, vs mr rogers and sesame street- in intelligent english- discussing that it's sad when your goldfish dies, and how to make a stop light or a crayon, and how to draw a mongoose.

T-6005
09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I don't know. My girlfriend's brother is 3 and likes watching Dora the Explorer and he's basically a continually fascinating study on how people learn.

I can't bring myself to speak to him in "child talk," either. It feels like I'm going to teach him how to settle for half-words or something.

That people now seem dumber than people when we were growing up might be true on a surface level - but I'm sure modern society has always had a plethora of crappy parents, murderously ignorant classmates and unwanted pregnancies. I was an idiot in high school. Case in point: one of my English teachers, after giving me a D on an assignment, kept me after class and warned me that I would probably become a taxi driver if - and I'm taking a little liberty with what he actually said here - I didn't stop being so stupid.

Curiously, I don't think it motivated me that much.

It could just as easily be the fact that we're essentially looking back on ourselves at that age, watching kids make the mistakes we made and knowing how stupid and irresponsible they are while conveniently forgetting that when we were 15 we didn't give two shits about school either. Watching them in retrospect makes those decisions seem even dumber. If I could have had sex at the age of 16 while being told that I couldn't use protection, I can't even honestly say I wouldn't have taken the opportunity.

They're painful recollections of the learning process and it just makes them worse when you realize that all that shit is still going on, perpetrated by little turds that hit an uncomfortable part of your memory.

Omni
09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I guess you have a point, there. I wasn't even thinking in terms of educational shows. I've never sat down to critique modern children's programs, but isn't Dora the Explorer actually a good show for teaching kids?

_Lost_
09-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Dora is definitely a good one. The bilingual aspect is supposed to be what makes that show a real winner. As toddlers, their brains can absorb two languages almost as easily as just learning their main language.

I don't mean to say that a parent shouldn't be realistic about what their child can or can't accomplish. Either way, the kid will most often figure out that they aren't in the brightest crayon in the box before they graduate. That's not the issue. The stigma of trade school is definitely one, as well as the complete eradication of trade oriented classes in high schools. My school didn't even have home ec.

My beef lies with the parents who don't aim to at least make their child display proper manners in public or discipline them to work hard and study. Without the willingness to work hard, you end up like my older brother, who can't even hold down a job flipping burgers because he is too good for it, yet refuses to get proper training in the thing he wants to do.

Omni
09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I was at my parents' house today, and I got to see my report cards from grade school. In 5th grade, I was in the 31st percentile on the SAT 9 test. The only category (of like seven-ten) I scored above the 50th percent on was Spelling. Reading Vocabulary was at 49%.

Thinking back on it, now, I really wasn't very smart as a young child. I was completely illiterate in kingergarten and first grade, I could barely write my whole name. In 1st grade I was put in a remedial reading class, and by the next semester, I was an average reader for my age, and became extremely proficient in junior high. I was also put in remedial math for most of school, but since math is such an incredibly boring subject that can't be made fun to learn in any way, I never did exceed in that area.

In other words, I guess not every person has a natural talent for all things academic, even though I've never thought grades and scores were good indicators of talent. Performing well in school is mostly motivation. Some people can become very very good at whatever they're doing through molding and just slowing things down a bit. I couldn't learn at the pace of normal kids when I was starting out, so I had to be moved to classes where I could learn things at a slower speed. I guess I'm just glad the public school system took measures to correct the problems early on.

WebDudette
09-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I screwed myself over academically. I've always had awesome test scores, scoring PHS on stuff since 6th grade. But I never did anything, ever. In all honesty, I shouldn't have graduated high school. I did a professional internship program and a community service program to get an extra credit and a half so I could actually pass. Except, I didn't do either of those and just got people to sign off on them. Then, because I was a fucking retard all through school, I went to a community college. I did there placement test and scored high enough for a full scholarship. I went for about half a semester before I just stopped showing up. I'm signed up for online school right now, hopefully I can pull my shit together. It's an 8 week semester with the same amount of credits so I can catch up a bit. I already have 6 English credits from high school too, so I won't be too far behind.

Paint_It_Black
09-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Hey Pilz, we seem to be pretty similar so I'll give you a warning. You almost certainly could predict this yourself, but whatever reasons you have for screwing yourself academically, it's only going to get worse as you get older. Now I'm 28 I really wish I had a college education but I can't motivate myself to do it now and work fulltime. Of course, if I could go back ten years and tell this to my younger self it probably wouldn't make any difference. But what the hell, I figured I'd give you the old "you'll regret it later" speech anyway. I hate playing this role but I like you so I figured it's worth a shot.