PDA

View Full Version : BBS Challenge Covers.

T-6005
09-18-2010, 12:44 AM
We're all clearly super busy because that's what people do in September.

But in lieu of making another BBS covers thread, I've come up with this - the BBS Covers CHALLENGE thread.

The concept? Challenge another BBS artist to cover a particular song - it can be any BBS artists' song, but it would most likely be your own. You set the deadline, and you set the song.

Obviously this ain't no contract, so pull out if you want, at the risk of being the laughingstock of the BBS!

In the spirit of the thing, I'll open myself up to the challenge first. If you feel like challenging someone else, that's well within the rules, but I am opening myself up to be challenged by whoever strikes first for a BBS Challenge Cover.

Your Band really is the best BBS section and I'm out to prove it.

Static_Martyr
09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
I have to say that I've always wanted (but thought it would seem stuck-up to directly ask), with the risk and promise of Great LOLs, to see someone else try to cover my Christmas Song, "Oh Shit, It's Christmas" (http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ymm0a) :D

T-6005
10-01-2010, 10:05 PM
You know what, man? You are fucking ON. I need chords and lyrics - I could probably figure them out on my own, but sending them will make it a lot quicker.

In return, I challenge YOU to cover my song, The Way It Used to Be. (http://thibault.bandcamp.com/track/the-way-it-used-to-be)

No time limit for it, but damn it if I'm not going to cover the shit out of your song. I already have one brilliant idea.

Outerspaceman21
10-01-2010, 11:38 PM
AH SNAP, IT'S ON!!!

Brilliant concept, can't wait to see what comes of it.

Ryder1234
10-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I think it'd be cool if someone covered my song Dope Fiend.

First song on the player http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Random-Goods/131482090189?ref=ts

So YEAH. I challenge YOU

Static_Martyr
10-02-2010, 08:56 AM
You know what, man? You are fucking ON. I need chords and lyrics - I could probably figure them out on my own, but sending them will make it a lot quicker.

In return, I challenge YOU to cover my song, The Way It Used to Be.

Good, I needed an excuse to do some recording today!

As for chords, the only chords I use in that entire song are octaves (for the intro and outro riffs), and these (for everything else, except the muted parts, which are just power chords):

C
x----
3----
5----
5----
3----
-----

E minor
0----
0----
0----
2----
2----
0----

A minor
0----
1----
2----
2----
0----
-----

F (barre)
1----
1----
2----
3----
3----
1----

The little accent riff in the chorus (kinda hard to hear, in the background) is just simple arpeggios of the above chords (I actually stole the pattern there from the Bouncing Souls song, "Born Free"). And the solo just starts with the bass line and ad-libs off of it.

Lyrics, from the pamphlet:

"My advice as a Christian priest is to shoplift...my advice does not contradict the Bible's eighth commandment because God's love for the poor and despised outweighs the property rights of the rich."
--Tim Jones, St. Lawrence Church in York, England

"Oh shit, it's Christmas
Time to come up with another album
But we don't have material
I've got an idea
Why can't we just re-sell the one from last year?
Oh, right --- 'cause they still play it at Wal-Mart

Put up decorations
My Germanic Yule Tree looks so bodacious
Thank God for Christian plagiarists
Let's suck on some egg nog
Don't just be commercial, be indulgent!
There can't be any leftovers

Hell yeah! It's that time of year again
Time to put on all our hats
Time to drink tons of beer
Time to make lots of cash
We act like we all know the "truth of the season"
In fact, we just stole it from someone else
Pulled the rest out of our ass

Hell yeah! It's that time of year
That everybody needs to fear
'Cause we're at war, these traditions are so dear
Why else would we have tried?
Why would so many have died?
Just to steal what we know
Just to sell our own show
Oh shit, it's Christmas time again
Oh shit, it's Christmas time my friend."

(background: "Keep the Saturn in Saturnalia!")

T-6005
10-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Static Martyr, I started work on the song today. I'm going to twist it around so thoroughly you won't recognize it when I give it back.

Static_Martyr
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Static Martyr, I started work on the song today. I'm going to twist it around so thoroughly you won't recognize it when I give it back.

Yeah, I knew exactly what I was gonna do with yours the second I heard it. I have this specific way I turn it that makes it really, really easy to record....just gone done doing the drums, actually :D Took me about 30 minutes. I'm trying to decide if I have time to do the rest of it before I go to bed. Probably not the vocals, but I can probably think of at least a bass line.

T-6005
10-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, it's definitely going to take me a while to finish it - I wouldn't expect it before at least a week, maybe two. But I've definitely got ideas for this song I'd like to explore.

Static_Martyr
10-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey, no hurries! I have no idea how long it could take on this end. I could be done tomorrow, I could forget and take 3 weeks like I normally do. I just work fast 'cause I'm lazy :D Also, if I take too long, I'll forget and never get it done...

EDIT: Done with the guitar parts. And it sounds....awesome :D I'm gonna add a couple more riffs later just for extra spice, but the base sound of it is done. My mixer's royally fucked up though, so I can't pile too much into the mix or I'll have to de-clip (thus completely ruining the quality).

Now, on to bass!

EDIT: ....aaaand bass is done!

I'll do vocals later, my back hurts from sitting at my computer....

EDIT: Done with vocals! Now all the recording is completely finished. All I need to do is mix everything down....unfortunately, I'm tired and that takes awhile (and I need to be fully conscious when I do it), so I'll save it for after work tomorrow. I'll try to upload it before I go to bed~

It's freaking awesome, I tells ya. It was like a throwback to the early days of Static Martyr....haven't done a song like this in awhile :)

Static_Martyr
10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Final mixdown complete....Enjoy! (http://www.sendspace.com/file/no8ml9)

P.S. *Bump*

T-6005
10-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Holy fuck, that was awesome. In record turnaround time, as well.

I sure as shit wasn't expecting anything like this - it sounds fucking awesome. You especially nailed the verse. This shit is going to be hard to live up to, that's for sure.

On the bright side, you've convinced me that BBS Challenge Covers are a brilliant idea. On the flip side, you might not hear your song for a few weeks as I strive to match what you've made in a few days.

God damn. Fourth time in a row I'm listening to it. This might be my best idea ever. I almost hate it because it sounds so much better than my original - especially your nice, almost subdued guitar tone in the intro and vocal harmonies in the verses.

dog194
11-02-2010, 01:36 AM
HaHA! I have already seen the great thing!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont runescape accounts (http://www.rs2acc.com)