TRISTON THE AWESOME
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Is Dex christian? I hope he is.

Mary 13
10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Is Dex christian?:confused:

Ya'know u can asked him that in that one thread Ask Dexter a Question! :D

I hope he is.

Why? Does it really matter that much to ya? :)

Mary 13
10-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Is Dex a Catholic? :confused:

Mary 13
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
I hope he is a Jew!

mrconeman
10-06-2010, 01:02 PM
As a biologist (Dexter, not me) I can't willingly believe he is a Christian, or theistic at all.

Outerspaceman21
10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Honestly, he can be whatever. The lead singer of SLAYER is a Roman Catholic. Just because someone is a punk musician or a scientist doesn't limit them to a religious belief. We are humans and come in all forms.

My Name Was Taken
10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I've read in a few places that he is, but I also heard a rumor a while back that he was a Scientologist >.<

clocks_R_slow
10-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I dont think so.

Little_Miss_1565
10-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Whether he's Christian, Satanic, agnostic, atheist, or a member of the Church of the SubGenius, does it matter?

Outerspaceman21
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
He may be apart of the church of body modification.

Although he had no visible piercings...

Also, isn't discussing or asking about the private lives of the band members against the forum rules?

ProdigalSon
10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think he was, but seeing Offspring have "matured" in the usual way most people do, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he is now.

And all that is my guess from lyrics, I noway claim to know him or what he hides/feels.

An example of at least questioning organised religion if not also being atheist/agnostic are the lyrics of "Something to Believe in". But the lyrics themes and sometimes even opinions have changed a lot since then, so who knows.

Harleyquiiinn
10-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm so sad that my joke is gone :(

_Lost_
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM

His ears are pierced, though I haven't noticed him wearing earrings in any recent pictures. I discovered hingeless hoops because he used to wear them (I think) and noticed them during my more ravenous offspring fandom of past years. Two holes in each ear.

I bet Noodles belongs to the church of body modification. He's got more holes than I do.

Outerspaceman21
10-06-2010, 10:57 PM
His ears are pierced, though I haven't noticed him wearing earrings in any recent pictures. I discovered hingeless hoops because he used to wear them (I think) and noticed them during my more ravenous offspring fandom of past years. Two holes in each ear.

Yeah, I never notice stuff like ear piercing, but I'm not surprised.

dexter12296566
10-07-2010, 05:03 AM

Also, isn't discussing or asking about the private lives of the band members against the forum rules?

i was wondering the same thing... it is against the rules and i also saw online dexters christmas list... although its a christia holiday, it doesnt really say too much though...

Harleyquiiinn
10-07-2010, 07:10 AM
i was wondering the same thing... it is against the rules and i also saw online dexters christmas list... although its a christia holiday, it doesnt really say too much though...

Let's see.

The forum guidelines say:

Please do not post personal information about others. This includes
posting private e-mails and PM’s without their permission. This includes
the band. Don’t discuss their private information.

So the offence has two elements:

- Discussion
- Private information

One of these elements is lacking.

The religion of a band member is definitely private information but we are not discussing it per se as nobody here knows the facts.

Considering this, it is speculation more than a discussion.

So it depends on the way you interpret the rule. If you consider it as a disciplinary rule, a rule that can lead to a sanction, which is the case (ask RonWelty for more informations), it is a fundamental principle that the interpretation must be strict.

That means that you can't blame someone for doing something that is not exactly prohibited, so in our case having discussion about the private information of the band.

Which means that by discussing something that we don't know for a fact, we are not breaking any rule:

we don't give any private or personnal information as nobody knows. It would be like discussing how big is Dexter's p.....aycheck at the end of the month. Nobody knows for sure.

As their is no personnal information revealed by this discussion, we can safely assume that it is not against the rule of the board.

Of course, that would be relevant if we were actually in a Rule of Law system, sign of a good democracy. But everybody knows a message board is not democracy. So whatever.

Free?
10-07-2010, 08:10 AM
No, he is Holland. Bale is Christian.

yarock
10-07-2010, 08:36 AM
That should make Dexter Dutch then, not Holland.

Hell,I got a new alias for Dexter: Flying Dutchman - He's also a pilot, you see.

randman21
10-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Liking the last three posts, a lot.

The problem about that interpretation, Harley, is that it breeds the potential for rumor that can harm. I think it would be similar to discussing the meaning behind "Gone Away," which some of us know more than others how against the rules that is. ;) And the main rumor about that is based on no fact.

BUT I'm mostly playing devil's advocate. I don't necessarily see the harm in this discussion.

Tijs
10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Which means that by discussing something that we don't know for a fact, we are not breaking any rule:

we don't give any private or personnal information as nobody knows. It would be like discussing how big is Dexter's p.....This is the reason why I haven't closed this thread. It's obvious that people aren't supposed to look up personal records and whatnot that can clarify this. And even if someone would find it, it wouldn't mean much. I think strictly taken I'm catholic, since I never bothered to sign out from church. But I'm quite agnostic myself, leaning a bit to atheism. So in the end it would all be paper anyway.

Seeing as someone's religion can also influence their music, well, lyrics, a lot it's no surprise that people are interested in it. But Dexter never seemed to have done so except for some parts of "Gone Away" maaaaaaybe.

Offspring-Junkie
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM

The problem about that interpretation, Harley, is that it breeds the potential for rumor that can harm. I think it would be similar to discussing the meaning behind "Gone Away," which some of us know more than others how against the rules that is. ;) And the main rumor about that is based on no fact.

BUT I'm mostly playing devil's advocate. I don't necessarily see the harm in this discussion.

There's nothing I'd like to add to this unless I won't get deleted.

Lord Phidias
10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Everyone knows Dexter is Muslim, he loves freaking egyptian melodies (Tehran, Me & my old lady, hidden song at the end of smash -come out and play riff-, Pay the man, and here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WIIAppSmw

Dexter is clearly praying in this chants. :cool:

Harleyquiiinn
10-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Well, the difference is that for the Gone Away thing, it's not really a matter of private information but more a question of respect.

Let's see each hypothesis:

1) The rumor is true: Well, the matter of respect is quite obvious here...
2) The rumor is not true: Same thing. Except that the respect here is for the person in the said rumor.

And for religion
1) Dexter is christian => who cares ?
2) Dexter is not Christian => who cares ?
3) Dexter is muslim => TERRORIIIIST ! (but seriously, who cares ?)

I'd understand if I get this message deleted. Just wanted to point out the difference...

yarock
10-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Dexter only believes in Taoist sexual practices; period.

Harleyquiiinn
10-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Apparently, it does.

Let's cut some slack to Triston. Who wasn't disappointed when they read that Miss Velvet Underground was probably a member of the Tea Party ? Or that Katie Holmes was a scientologist ?

When you are a fan of a band, it's hard to differenciate the music from the person sometimes. And when we are fan of a person, we tend to hope that he thinks a little bit like us. Or isn't a complete moron.

If Triston is a christian and believes in it (that is, if he is not just a troll), it's only natural (and I don't say it's legitimate or right) that he hopes the guy he admires is too.

That or that's the only way his/her parents will let him/her listen to the band...

"I hope he's Christian so I can say to my parents that Beheaded is the new interpretation, metaphorically, of the crucifixion of Jesus"

yarock
10-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Triston; I'm talking directly to you pal - If religion matters so much and you're 15, just go listen Creed for Christ's sake.

BigFish
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Triston; I'm talking directly to you pal - If religion matters so much and you're 15, just go listen Creed for Christ's sake.

Even Jesus hates Creed.

samseby
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I still don't care if he's Christian or not ;)

Although it's a good point that in some way fans may be disappointed if they find out certain things about their "idol" that don't fit into the image they got but it provides a good reason at the same time why celebs shouldn't talk about their private life, religion etc. too much. The risc of being reduced or getting judged by people for this is far too high.

Mary 13
10-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Everyone knows Dexter is Muslim, he loves freaking egyptian melodies (Tehran, Me & my old lady, hidden song at the end of smash -come out and play riff-, Pay the man, and here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_WIIAppSmw

Dexter is clearly praying in this chants. :cool:

No way! :eek:

Dexter only believes in Taoist sexual practices; period.

Sexual? :confused:

Mary 13
10-08-2010, 12:43 AM
http://www.myspace.com/437523103

^ Even a fan of Dexter's put he is a Christian/other.

Outerspaceman21
10-08-2010, 01:49 AM
http://www.myspace.com/437523103

^ Even a fan of Dexter's put he is a Christian/other.

Hey, look, I'm in the top 29.

NUMBER 20!!!

weezly
10-08-2010, 03:23 AM
ahhh religeon....thats all i have to say about this post.

Beaker
10-09-2010, 07:45 AM
i say one of the most random questions ever, :D

Llamas
10-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I like that Dexter doesn't talk about whether or not he's religious. Religion doesn't matter - it should be a personal thing. I have a feeling he is, but in the end I really don't care.

Retard
10-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I for one hope that he's not...... that stuff is icky.

dff_punk
10-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Brett Gurewitz is Jewish.

offsrx
10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Honestly, he can be whatever. The lead singer of SLAYER is a Roman Catholic. Just because someone is a punk musician or a scientist doesn't limit them to a religious belief. We are humans and come in all forms.

True.
I think that he's christian. I think he's not atheist, cause he never said anything against religion, and he's mentioning God in few songs

Rooster
10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think that mentioning God a few times makes you religious.

It's not that important either. Whatever he believes, it's his own belief.

offsrx
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
What about greg griffin?
He's mentioning God :D
Well, it doesn't make him religious, but - does it not?

Rooster
10-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, Graffin actually doesn't consider himself to be an atheist. I find this amusing for some reason :p. And apparently the name Bad Religion and the crossbuster logo were made primarily to piss off their parents.

As long as The Offspring doesn't become a Christian Pop-Punk band or something they can believe whatever they want.

My Name Was Taken
10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
As long as The Offspring doesn't become a Christian Pop-Punk band or something they can believe whatever they want.

I remeber at one concert they played kumbaya.... Now I'm going to go look for that on YouTube...

ProdigalSon
10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Well, Graffin actually doesn't consider himself to be an atheist. I find this amusing for some reason :p. And apparently the name Bad Religion and the crossbuster logo were made primarily to piss off their parents.

Well Graffin calls himself a naturalist recently. But that's actually pretty close to atheism.

dr.vanessa
10-15-2010, 12:29 PM
As a biologist (Dexter, not me) I can't willingly believe he is a Christian, or theistic at all.

i have many teachers of Biology at Uni that are Christians ,being a Biologist doesnt mean you are an atheist..but really Dexter is free to be anything he wants all we are free to do is to admire his great talent & have fun listening to his[their] songs ;)