PDA

View Full Version : I'm Drunk. Let's discuss the Offspring

the Mota Boy
10-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Now I know it would be stupid to simply ask you all what you think of the Offspring; or to say that they rock. If you're on this forum that's a given. In my drunken stuper I was about to instigate one of those discussions, but upon signing into my account I realized that my thread wouldn't make it past its fourth reply. So I still want to talk to you guys about how much I love this band, but I can't just throw that out there and expect to have a meaningful discussion.

What I would like to know is why you like the Offspring; whatever it be. Hopefully there are plenty of like-minded people out there that this can engaging. Anyways, I will begin:

I like the Offspring for their perspective. Most musical artists (be they punk or something else) are self-indulgent or (what I call) cookie-cutter. If they aren't talking about personal shit they're talking about how much the government sucks. The Offspring does comment on both. However, They do something else that isn't so common in other bands; they comment on US. Not the United States (although in some instances that applies); they point out fucked up shit is in society; which I love. Not only that; they do it in a manner that resonates. Most bands can't make society (or me) look down at their feet in shame, but the Offspring can. They just have/get everything in this country nailed to a T.

Anyways, post, comment, add, argue. It doesn't matter. I just want to hear your oppinions. Discuss.

Mary 13
10-08-2010, 01:41 AM
^yeah, i can agree with ya all the way home!

well, here's my little extra part...

i like this band for what its worth, they are like this rare thing and so real and alive. i love their personalities and humbleness and how witty they sometimes get. other moments, their plain old serious about the system and warm hearted individuals. in music wise, they like to mix it up and explore the greatness of elements. with their fanbase, they are so kind and sweet and very nice to us. i am just glad and happy for all of they're magical success and accomplishents and goals. they really do derserve it all! so what, if i used to have a crush on (dexter holland) ? me thinks i still do? but that's not the case here; i'm so stoked to push play on my ipod and sing and dance to my favorite songs by them. to end this 'cause i can go on and write an essay about it, lol. i don't know. i love you, [the offspring] <3 *highfives*

~CHEERS: dexter_noodles_greg_pete

{Because we can!!}

|PS| for teh record: i are iz n0t drunx.

-marys

Oxygene
10-08-2010, 01:46 AM
I like them because they make the best music, they have the best lyrics and they are great live.. especially because they enjoy it.

I've been a huge fan for 15 years now so um.. yeah :) Fuck it's been more than 15 years.

DMelges
10-08-2010, 05:17 AM
The Offspring is the band that inspired me to pick up a guitar, start a band, fail miserably at maintaining a band, and so then deciding to learn how to play as many instruments as I can. Today I play guitar, drums, bass and I'm learning piano.

The first song I ever learned to play (I taught myself), was TKAA. And it was also the first song I ever played live.

One reason why I love The Offspring musically, is that they're so hard to define. They've redefined punk rock. You can't really give them a genre.

The lyrics are great, easy to relate to and creative.

The Offspring is one of the most melodic bands I know, which is very important to me as a music listener. I like listening to songs that'll get stuck in my head. Each and every Offspring song is very melodic and has a creative melody and rythm.

I really respect and like the band member's personalities. No drugs, a little booze, probably some woman, nice and polite to fans, and they're not snobby artists who think they're better than everyone else (I.E Oasis and Axl Rose).

Not to mention my more personal reasons for loving the band. They're music has helped me alot throughout the years, and as cliche as that can be... it's true.

Offspring-Junkie
10-16-2010, 04:53 AM
I got into The Offspring because of the music video "Pretty Fly". I was a teenager back then and I loved everything about it, but especially how rad Dexter performed on stage. And the mindblowing sound I love until now. I kept being a fan because of the trueness of their sound. They don't cover themselves with clichés or images like mentioned above and you even recognize this in their sound. Though punk rock, always somehow raw, melodic and still finding new stuff to add to their sound without really changing. The lyrics are great, always stuff everyone can relate to, with a citicizing note wrapped in a sometimes direct, sometimes symbolic writing style. I just love it.

Dexter_H
10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Get a life mota_boy you nob.