PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the drummer´s change? What was your first reaction on it?

Satankaban
10-27-2004, 05:00 AM
When I read that Ron Welty is no more part of the band, I started to be sad, because Ron Welty is my favourite drummer (Lars Ulrich also rocks!!!) and "The Offspring" is my favourite band!!! Josh Freese played the drums on the "Splinter" and now there is Atom. What do you think about it? What was your first reaction on it?

MikeRamone
10-27-2004, 05:05 AM
My first reaction was like = OMG...NO MORE OFFSPRING?!?!?!? IM GONNA DIE GHAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAA..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....NO..

But then when I realized they werent gonna break up..I felt better =)
I still miss Ron...he had a speciall drumming style....he almost NEVER lost the rythm =)

I mean the drumming on Splinter is awesome, and Atom is also a great drummer!

But...If I could decide...I want Ron back in the band =)

MR

Chainsaw
10-27-2004, 05:07 AM
At first it was a little weird without Ron and i was a little sad, but when i saw Atom i thought he's cool too and got used to him quickly. Atom is cooler to watch :p

Intermission
10-27-2004, 05:12 AM
my first reaction was like, omg!!!!!!
i never realized how much i liked ron untill then!
i miss him so fucking much!!!!!
he was better than atom will ever be in my eyes and he was a better looking guy to.....

Hamer
10-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Unless you're an old Rocket From the Crypt fan you can't judge how good a drummer Atom is. He hasn't produced any studio tracks with this band yet and I'm quite sure that he's not made much change to Josh Freese's Splinter drum tracks when he performs the songs on tour. I don't think you can say something like that at all.

From what I saw at one of The Offspring's first gigs with Atom earlier this year, though, Atom's a great drummer. I've seen The Offspring a few times now, twice with Ron, and he had no stage presence. You never saw him even smile! Watching Atom, I knew he was right for this band because you could clearly see that he was having a good time doing what he was doing, as well as playing some damn good shit (whether it was written by him or not) at the same time. And that's what counts.

Swill
10-27-2004, 05:41 AM
Seeing Ron go was quite surreal,i mean hes been there from the start of it all but i gotta say atom is a more than able replacement for our once favourite sticksman.Your beats from 'jennifer lost the war' to 'conspiracy of one' brought us all such an amazing warm radical feeling that this band personifies. Ron Welty, you rock. Having said that, we have to look beyond and to the future and with atom, I know that he'll continue where ron left off and go furthur. I saw him live in Dublin and he rocked!!!He's been around a while so check out some of his other work, more recently on melissa auf de maar's debut solo record. I cant wait to hear what he brings to the offspring universe. It's going to be special!

Swill
________
Honda CR110 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CR110)

punk_flamingo
10-27-2004, 05:49 AM
I was quite upset to begin with, Ron was my favourite member after Greg K initially.

But I think he knew in himself it was time to move on, and Atom does a brilliant job. I dont think replacements a good word - and its not fair on Atom to call him a replacement...so we should just say "member" for him.

offspringueuse
10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
I was very sad since i thought that the offspring will stop to perform together!!!!

Dave
10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
I thought they were gonna break up :(

Fortunatly they didnt, and I kinda never really got around to liking Ron.

Atom seems abit cooler!

selfrighteoussuicide
10-27-2004, 08:45 AM
sorry to atom, but i preferred ron

Fozzy
10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I was a bit gutted that Ron left, but after watching offspring videos when Ron was with them, and then seeing them play in Manchester, i'd say Atom seems to get a lot more into playing than Ron did.
But both Atom and Ron are excellent :)
.... And Atom gives great hugs lol :D

Pyro
10-27-2004, 09:43 AM
My reaction was: :eek: ...Let's hope The Offspring will not split!! When found out that Atom joined The Offspring i was interested. And I like him more than Ron.

Kitten
10-27-2004, 09:48 AM
I thought it would have happened earlier. There were rumours of it before hand, and I figured that in the middle of an album they were not going to quit to retain 'band integrity'.
Ron seemed a bit too serious on stage, yet Atom is having fun, he talks and likes talking and is an all round nice guy. To be fair, I didn't get to meet Ron Welty, but if Steady Ground gets down to Australia, we will see how he goes in a band that he put together.

dirty_magic
10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
i was quite shocked to start with but after i found out that atom would be touring with them i wasnt so bothered. ron is a legend but the way atom plays live is amazing, neocon was designed for him!

Heat
10-27-2004, 11:50 AM
firt i was shocked... of course

but atom is a really cool drummer and very energic

Centaur
10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey, Ron Welty, if someday you will see this, i want to tell you that i was a bit surprised with your leaving, cause you played with offspring for so long time... since the beginning...
I think that the fact of your leaving is a one of those things that leads The Offspring to the end off it's existence.
Anyway, it was your choice.
Good Luck! :)

LuH
10-27-2004, 12:23 PM
I was really sad about Ron's leaving the band... He is a damn good drummer and I love him!!! But Josh Freese didn't playied bad at the "Splinter" album and now Atom is kickin' ass!!! He also rocks!!!! I love Atom to... :D Well, what can I do? I love every one the is or was in this band!!!! ^_^

I reach to the sky and call out your name

Woodles42
10-27-2004, 12:46 PM
I loved watching Ron drum. He just sort of had this calm groove thing happening. He made playing drums look so easy.

Sixpence.
10-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Atom and Ron are different, Ron played calmer like you've already mentioned, Woodles but Atom is cool, too. I think they couldn't get a wrong drummer, because after nearly two decades you can only choose people to play in your band, who fit in automatically. Maybe it's some kind of instinct. It fits.

Subsidal
10-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I first thought 'What the ...??!!' and I was shocked. But a second later I didn't care about that anymore. I like Atom, he's fun to watch

Sketch
10-27-2004, 02:27 PM
When I heard I was like "no way, I hope they dont split up." but then i realized how incredibly foolish Ron was for leaving. Sure he was a great drummer but all those years with the band and deciding to leave made him a punk. Yeah great idea leaving for a band thats going nowhere. Now hes making zero money. reeeeal smart Ron. Not! I bet he'll be begging to come back just like he begged when he first joined the band.

SoundQ
10-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Both of them are good drummers, I personally think Atom will spice things up on live performances.

london_calling
10-27-2004, 03:40 PM
i was totally down when ron left ,i cried but when i went to see the offspring at manchester and atom started to play i was like OMG this guy rules, hes full of energy and brings more energy to the whole band. ATOM RULES RON RULES ALSO :D