PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mic their amps?

randman21
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I was listening back at some song ideas I had earlier in the year, and I noticed that with one, the guitars sounded exponentially better. Even for as simple as the clips were. I then remembered that I was trying out my new amp and mic for one. I usually just plug my pedal right up to the audio interface.

For reference, here are the two. You can decide which sounds better.

One (http://www.zshare.net/audio/81379217d013026e/)

Two (http://www.zshare.net/audio/81379277bf7945ef/)

So how about you guys? Does it always sound better to mic your amp, or did I just get lucky?

Static_Martyr
10-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Mike it as opposed to, sampling the guitar directly?

The sound quality seems a little better when I sample directly, but I like the tone better when I mike it. Better mids and lows. For some reason, when I sample directly the lows are too prominent and the highs suck.

...if that's not what you mean, then, um, nevermind :)

randman21
10-10-2010, 06:56 PM
That's exactly what I meant. :) And that's pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing, except that I prefer the miked tone, and don't really like the tone of my guitar going straight into the computer.* I just didn't bother to do anything about it because I didn't think it would make a difference. But the actual difference was not something I was expecting for sure. I can't wait to try it out again. If it doesn't sound as good, I'm going to cry.

*It feels like I'm still being a bit unclear on what I mean by that. Guitar>effect pedal>audio interface>computer

ad8
10-11-2010, 12:28 AM
That's exactly what I meant. :) And that's pretty much exactly what I'm experiencing, except that I prefer the miked tone, and don't really like the tone of my guitar going straight into the computer.* I just didn't bother to do anything about it because I didn't think it would make a difference. But the actual difference was not something I was expecting for sure. I can't wait to try it out again. If it doesn't sound as good, I'm going to cry.

*It feels like I'm still being a bit unclear on what I mean by that. Guitar>effect pedal>audio interface>computer
I think my amp itself is not good enough to produce decent sounds... I used recording with mic+amp waaay back in the old days (aka end-2006) but I got an interface soon. I went through a short phase of Guitar Rig (guitar directly -> interface) and then arrived at my current setup which I prefer over the first two (guitar -> effect pedal -> interface -> computer).

I can't really say how I would judge it if I had a decent amp, though.

mspunk13
10-11-2010, 03:09 AM
I recently discovered a method that I like - I record my guitar directly + Guitar Rig 4 - that gives me clarity and then I double track it by recording my amp, for the meat of course. I also record it directly though, i find it really hard to get my amp to sound better than a fart when micing it. I repeat the whole process and that gives me 4 tracks, I pan two of them 40-60% to the right, two of them 40-60% to the left. A lot of work but I'm finally happy with the sound.

Llamas
10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I never knew how/had the equipment to directly hook my guitar up to my computer, so I always miked my amp. I have no way of comparing, though. For some reason, I always thought it seemed kind of cheap to plug directly in, which is why I never researched it... cause you can't do that with most instruments (aka ones that aren't electric).

ThunderPX
10-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Most people I've talked to mic their amps. I used to, but nowadays I use Guitar Rig; not a single outlet in my house is earthed so if I turn on distortion on my amp it goes BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ

randman21
10-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I remember trying to mic up my combo amp a couple of years ago and being thoroughly frustrated that it sounded horrible. I bought a Shure SM57 mic for nothing. It's a decent amp (but Behringer, so you know it's cheap). I now have a 2x12 cab loaded with some great speakers, which is what's in the recording.

I think my amp itself is not good enough to produce decent sounds... I used recording with mic+amp waaay back in the old days (aka end-2006) but I got an interface soon. I went through a short phase of Guitar Rig (guitar directly -> interface) and then arrived at my current setup which I prefer over the first two (guitar -> effect pedal -> interface -> computer).

I can't really say how I would judge it if I had a decent amp, though.
Hehe. I've tried all those methods, too. You and I even have the same effects pedal and probably used the same version of Guitar Rig. If there's one thing I can say about your current setup is that it's TONS easier, with good sound. The last 3 or 4 (unreleased/unfinished) songs I've recorded were done using the RP255. Less pulling of the hair, compared to other things I've tried.

I recently discovered a method that I like - I record my guitar directly + Guitar Rig 4 - that gives me clarity and then I double track it by recording my amp, for the meat of course. I also record it directly though, i find it really hard to get my amp to sound better than a fart when micing it. I repeat the whole process and that gives me 4 tracks, I pan two of them 40-60% to the right, two of them 40-60% to the left. A lot of work but I'm finally happy with the sound.
I love Guitar Rig. For those who know my music, all of the songs I've put out there so far were done with that. The sound is awesome, but I had the ummm, free version, so I would have to start my program over every thirty minutes.

I never knew how/had the equipment to directly hook my guitar up to my computer, so I always miked my amp. I have no way of comparing, though. For some reason, I always thought it seemed kind of cheap to plug directly in, which is why I never researched it... cause you can't do that with most instruments (aka ones that aren't electric).
Right! I've had that thought, too. I mean, it has to be somewhat less effective, because then why wouldn't all of the recording studios do it? I know some artists do record directly through pedals, though.

Most people I've talked to mic their amps. I used to, but nowadays I use Guitar Rig; not a single outlet in my house is earthed so if I turn on distortion on my amp it goes BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ
Haha, I know the feeling! Do you ever get shocked if you keep your arm on the strings too long as well?

ad8
10-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Haha, I know the feeling! Do you ever get shocked if you keep your arm on the strings too long as well?
Hehe, once I was at school, rehearsing for a school concert, and touching the strings of my bass with one hand and shook someone elses hand to say hi and got shocked... OUCH!

...would have been a cool death, though ;)

_Lost_
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I've done both. It sounds exponentially better to mike it imo. The only electric recording I've done miked is SIMU and that is the only one I like. Direct input has its merits, but its like the difference between analog and digital, you just can't mimic the rawness with a computer. Ever noticed how if you turn up a clean amp with a lot of gain, it distorts on its own? Once upon a time they did that instead of using distortion pedals. Yes, its louder, but its also better. Nowadays, people cut out the in between because it makes life easier, but at what cost?

The Offspring mikes their amps Randy. Don't question it. Just do it.

mspunk13
10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I love Guitar Rig. For those who know my music, all of the songs I've put out there so far were done with that. The sound is awesome, but I had the ummm, free version, so I would have to start my program over every thirty minutes.
If you're against known ways of 'acquiring' software, then you might want to check out free virtual amps. I remember they're Windows-only so I don't use them but there is a thread about them on Ultimate-Guitar forums and they seem to get really good reviews.

The Offspring mikes their amps Randy.
Of course they do. Miking amps is always the way to go provided you have quality equipment (tube amp, microphone, monitors, audio interface), proper recording environment and recording knowledge. I only have the knowledge (I hope so at least :p) so I have to record directly :)

ThunderPX
10-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Not by just touching the strings, no, but occasionally I'd get shocked by my computer if I was already carrying the guitar but remembered to change some recording settings at the last minute.