PDA

View Full Version : How Awesome! Nickelback visits Mission Control!

For Real
10-22-2010, 10:49 PM
How awesome is this? While on tour in Texas, three members of Nickelback take time out to visit Mission Control at the Johnson Space Center the day before they play to a sold-out crowd at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. Not only do they take a tour, but they also got to talk with astronauts in orbit! That's astronauts in orbit aboard the ISS! Waaaaaaaahh! No fuckin' fair man! I have been to the Johnson Space Center, but I've never talked with astronauts in orbit before!! :eek: :cool:

Here's the link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPoE8icyE7c

Wowsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bouncingcoles
10-22-2010, 10:56 PM
that doesnt mean they are good

For Real
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
What are you talking about? Of course they're good. Playing to sold-out crowds for 18 mos. pretty much says it all - that and selling 30 million records is solid music.

Did you hear the part where the astronaut, Doug Wheelock said he always wanted to be a rockstar, but ended up becoming an astronaut? And Ryan Peake (guitarist) said he always wanted to be an astronaut, but ended up becoming a rock star instead, which ironically helped him get to NASA anyway, lol. I thought that was great. I've always known that scientist-types are secret little rockers on the inside, and that music-types are secret little geeky scientists on the inside! lol :D

Retard
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
man I can barely hear the sarcasm in that.... you're good.

Outerspaceman21
10-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I will admit, regardless of how much I like Nickelback's music (not much of a fan), that is pretty cool. That would be wicked to talk to astronauts and ask them questions about what it's like in space.

WebDudette
10-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Faulty logic, bro. Tons of bands you don't like have outsold Nickelback.

I'm jealous of Nickelback, it'd be cool to tour a place like that and to talk to the astronauts.

Rooster
10-23-2010, 04:24 AM
What are you talking about? Of course they're good. Playing to sold-out crowds for 18 mos. pretty much says it all - that and selling 30 million records is solid music.

So this is the official criteria for judging how good a band is? Nickelback aren't really that good, they just found a formula that is working for them. Here's the template:

1. find a working formula
2. repeat it to death
3. ???
4. profit

They had written the same song bazillion times. They discovered what kind of songs appeal the most to an average "mainstream hard rock" listener, and now they just stick to that formula, which yes, it does make their sales great. But repeating that same formula (and possibly make the songs sound even more radio friendly) doesn't make them good, neither does selling out stadiums (i believe there is a thing that enables them to sell out stadiums, and it's called fame/popularity, not quality). Making actual good music would make them good. They should be at least a bit inventive, writing lyrics about other things than partying and wimminz, but no, they stick to what gets them $$$.

edit: About talking to the astronauts... That seems cool, if you're a member of Nickelback. I'm not sure what were the astronauts thinking about it. Remember, vomiting in a room without gravitation could not only be very messy, but also life-threatening.

Retard
10-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Thats true.... Did the astronaughts want to talk to nickelbag? I woulda told em to stop bothering me.... its hard to sleep in zero gravity.

coke_a_holic
10-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Faulty logic, bro. Tons of bands you don't like have outsold Nickelback.

I'm jealous of Nickelback, it'd be cool to tour a place like that and to talk to the astronauts.

I generally agree.

SuperKnux
10-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Haha, well played troll. Well played. ;P

Lord Phidias
10-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Here's the template:

1. find a working formula
2. repeat it to death
3. ???
4. profit

Lolz! Anyway, what would make a band "good"? What's the definition of being "good"? Maybe they're not music prodigies and their music may be a little naive, but that doesn't make them bad. I really like Nickelback, regardless of their lack of deepness in their overall music. I think they're very good, haven't seen them live yet, but what I've seen on youtube is great shows.

Rooster
10-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Lolz! Anyway, what would make a band "good"?

This is the question that nobody (including me) seems to have an answer for. It's all even more difficult because of different personal tastes. I'll try to explain what i mean with "being good", but i'll probably fail. Anyway, i think a band that could be considered good should be at least a bit inventive, perhaps sounding somewhat different from the rest of the same genre if possible. Or even better, taking influences from other genres and mixing them up (like mixing elements of blues or metal into punk rock for example). The most important thing for me is a band showing that they could be diverse (even though i love energetic and agressive punk rock music i usually find an album that's full of only fast songs quite boring; i can stand un-original sound if it's still diverse, at least to a degree).

So, about Nickelback:

Do i find them diverse? No.
Inventive? Deffinitely NO. What they did is basically take all the good stuff that real grunge artists brought up, and make it more radio-friendly. And when you hear a new song from them you feel like they've already written it before. So no, i don't find them good.

And it's not that i think a band is bad just because i'm not their fan. I don't really like The Beatles for example (i liked what i heard from them, but they just didn't seem to click with me in the way that would make me listen to them more; perhaps i need to give them some more time), but i do think they were really good. I listen to a lot of bands that i find good, but only a few that i find great.

Llamas
10-25-2010, 09:47 AM
This is the question that nobody (including me) seems to have an answer for. It's all even more difficult because of different personal tastes. I'll try to explain what i mean with "being good", but i'll probably fail. Anyway, i think a band that could be considered good should be at least a bit inventive, perhaps sounding somewhat different from the rest of the same genre if possible. Or even better, taking influences from other genres and mixing them up (like mixing elements of blues or metal into punk rock for example). The most important thing for me is a band showing that they could be diverse (even though i love energetic and agressive punk rock music i usually find an album that's full of only fast songs quite boring; i can stand un-original sound if it's still diverse, at least to a degree).

So, about Nickelback:

Do i find them diverse? No.
Inventive? Deffinitely NO. What they did is basically take all the good stuff that real grunge artists brought up, and make it more radio-friendly. And when you hear a new song from them you feel like they've already written it before. So no, i don't find them good.

And it's not that i think a band is bad just because i'm not their fan. I don't really like The Beatles for example (i liked what i heard from them, but they just didn't seem to click with me in the way that would make me listen to them more; perhaps i need to give them some more time), but i do think they were really good. I listen to a lot of bands that i find good, but only a few that i find great.

Yes. For me, if a band or artist mixes things up and messes with a lot of different genres and sounds, I'm more likely to like it. If you can't put a genre label on a band, that's great. The differences between Nickelback's first album and their most recent songs is very minor, and to me that's insanely boring. I value creativity, uniqueness, and genuineness in music. Nickelback's songs all sound very similar, which I find boring. Their songs all follow the same formula, same instrumentation, same sounds. Boring. Their lyrics are generic and boring. I've occasionally found a song or two to be catchy, but nothing has ever really caught my attention in a way where I thought, "Wow, that's really good!" and desired to listen to again later.

And I agree with your last paragraph. There are a lot of bands/groups/whatever that I'm not a fan of who I don't think are bad. Beatles are a good example. Dave Matthews Band. Jason Mraz. The list goes on. There are also bands that I really like who I don't actually think are good. But Nickelback is one band that I don't like AND genuinely sucks.

Rooster
10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Yes. For me, if a band or artist mixes things up and messes with a lot of different genres and sounds, I'm more likely to like it. If you can't put a genre label on a band, that's great. The differences between Nickelback's first album and their most recent songs is very minor, and to me that's insanely boring. I value creativity, uniqueness, and genuineness in music. Nickelback's songs all sound very similar, which I find boring. Their songs all follow the same formula, same instrumentation, same sounds. Boring. Their lyrics are generic and boring. I've occasionally found a song or two to be catchy, but nothing has ever really caught my attention in a way where I thought, "Wow, that's really good!" and desired to listen to again later.

And I agree with your last paragraph. There are a lot of bands/groups/whatever that I'm not a fan of who I don't think are bad. Beatles are a good example. Dave Matthews Band. Jason Mraz. The list goes on. There are also bands that I really like who I don't actually think are good. But Nickelback is one band that I don't like AND genuinely sucks.

Agree with all of this. I used to think that originality was in a large part gone from music. But while you can't invent new chords, you can always mix up things from different genres. That goes even for traditional genres like punk rock. You can do stuff that sounds unique that way. Unfortunately, Nickelback only doe$$$ what get$$$ them $$$$$$.

I must admit though, i DID download All the Right Reasons (i actually had to google it to see if this is the real name of the album, this alone should give away exactly how much damn do i give about them) 3 or 4 years ago, and burned a copy of it. Listened to a few songs once, but couldn't get through all of it. Pulled the disc out of my stereo and...

I haven't seen the disc ever since.