PDA

View Full Version : No Child Left Behind

lost_nvrfound
02-02-2005, 05:19 PM
yes, i kno this is a tired out topic, but its been brought back to my thoughts by many mentions of it in other topics and i can't help but expressing my overwhelming irritation towards it...

ever since bush came up with that bullshit, its made school even worse for me (and lets face it, thats an accomplishment, in a sense)...

i've always been in the advanced classes, ever since first grade... but ever since bush started the no child left behind crap, all the school districts decided that all the advanced kids should be left w/ barely literate teachers bcause they should be able to teach themselves... and i'm sick and fucking tired of it... thats why i just decided that i didn't care about school anymore and started to watch my grades drop... the only reason i did so well last semester is that all my classes had easy finals... and i'm in the highest classes available for freshmen... i've only recently (like in th past 2 wks) decided to start trying in school again... mostly cause i wanna go for valedictorian (just cause that'd be so cool)... but back to the point... like i said, all the classes i'm taking this year are supposed to be the highest for freshmen, all honors... but none of my teachers had even the slightest clue of how to teach... not one... thank god that the finals were all like 1+1=2 questions... but then i talk to some of my friends who are in the standard course levels of the same classes as me, and they hav really great teachers... its like i read and heard before... they help the lower level students and leave the higher level students behind...

last year the Guilford county school district approved this thing that says that if you pass a course, even if u pass it purely by luck, u can't take it again... my friend ran into that problem because she was forced to take Honors Algebra 1 (honors!!) in the 7th grade (so was i but i understood it better, math is my best subject) and was utterly lost for most of the year... she really wanted to take it over to see if she could understand it better the second time around, but they wouldn't let her... she was then forced into Honors geometry and honors Algebra 2 with no true understanding of algebra1... does that make any sense whatsoever?

now for those of you still reading, im sorry that this post was so long... i've been wanting to say this for a long time

PSTHNTDWTT (post script that has nothing to do w/ this topic): the offspring is the greatest band to ever walk this earth (noodles is the greatest guitarrist of all time! angus young may tie w/ him though i haven't decieded yet)...i had to say it...

PPSTHNTDWTT (post post script that has nothing to do w/ this topic): i apologize for my previous post script...

Moose
02-02-2005, 06:28 PM
well it sucks either way...everyone would like to see every person get a chance to be educated, but a lot of kids just dont care and dont go, so they mix in bad kids with good kids and zoning and shit and all schools get messed up...but that has nothing to do with the teachers, most teachers suck, but ive been lucky ive had entertaining teachers, i mean a lot werent good, but were entertaining and overall easy...you'll have to learn on your own time, and since you seem smart (going for valedictorian and all,) you will be much better off than most kids that get these shitty teachers. there really isnt anything to say, you are screwed if you dont try to help out the shit kids, and fucked if you do. i guess you can say its a good plan in theory, but it isnt a success when it comes to reality. these kids arent learning either way and their weak minds will lead them into nothingness...then again that is still a lot of us that go to school and do well, i guess we just realize it...well some of us anyway.

Betty
02-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I don't know if the fact that you're getting even shittier teachers has to do with "no child left behind"... I have a hard time believing that it actually stipulates to help the slower students more than the faster ones.

Regardless, I think your problem is serious. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of teachers are bad. Just think about it... the "slower" students at your school, who aren't able to become doctors or engineers or professors or whatnot are all gonna go to teachers college, cause that's what people do. I know tons of people that go to teachers college... and some would be great teachers... and some definitely not. Also, once you're a teacher, you can't get fired, even if you suck. Obviously "sucking" is subjective to a certain degree, but I had a big argument about this before in the politics forum. So that's an issue too.

Back in highschool, I was lucky to have good teachers in my most important courses (chem, physics) and half decent ones in math. Terrible teacher in English. Bad teachers in other random unimportant subjects as well (phys ed, biology, etc.) My teacher would actually use my answers to a test to make sure hers were right.

But anyway, I think all I can give to you is advice. That is, grow up, and start learning how to teach yourself. If there is a subject that you want to learn about, and your teacher is an idiot, then read the textbook, read other textbooks, make sure YOU understand. Do these things even if you are not forced to do so and not tested on it. For the subjects you don't care about, just try and get a good grade the easiest way possible. Look forward to college/university (if that's your plan) where it is more challenging and where professors are better. (Note that it takes more perseverence than smarts to get to be a professor, so they aren't necessarily geniuses either - but it is still a step up).

Oh, and for stupid rules like the algebra one, you should fight for it. Seriously just make a huge fuss about it. Go to the paper, make a petition, talk to higher ups, whatever. I don't think the student should get an extra credit, but they should be able to take the class.

leo3375
02-03-2005, 07:17 PM
No Child Left Behind is a recipe for disaster. Here's how:

You start with standardized tests as the big factor of a school's performance and set a passing percentage (usually 80%) that determines the school's funding. If a school doesn't meet the requirement the first couple of years, it's okay. By the third year, it needs to hire tutors and gets its budget cut (how can you hire tutors when your budget is slashed?) If there are no improvements by Year 5, the school is either shut down or restructured.

Now, let's let parents use taxpayer-funded vouchers to send their kid to a private school. The parents of the smartest kids will decide to send their children to a private school using taxpayer money. These kids are usually from Caucasian middle-class and upper-middle-class families. This leaves the more disadvantaged students in the failing public schools, falling further and further behind. These students find themselves unable to get into college because their test scores were'nt good enough, or they can't afford to go because they don't qualify for financial aid. Their only option? The military.

No Child Left behind? More like No Wealthy Child Left Behind.

Betty
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
You can really argue it both ways and its hard to find a happy medium.

(This is from a smart/less smart standpoint, not a wealthy/poor standpoint)

The school system needs to help out the slower students obviously because they need more help.

However, the smarter children should not have to suffer just because the slower ones need more attention. They should get attention too as their minds are very promising for the future.

I had the biggest argument once about school standards and where they should be set. Should they be set at the level of the averaqe student? Or should they be set at the level of the brightest students?

Moose
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
it doesnt only have to do with slow students...some students just make trouble (the bad seed thing) and just start bringing the school down little by little...at least in my new york area...and since none of these kids have money (mostly live in the project areas) i dont see it as a dont live a wealthy child behind thing, but i do understand your point, my law teacher made a similiar point of how it would basically start shutting down public school and such...either way you still dont want to let a kid slip into no education, but in some cases they do it to themselves.

Noodles is gay
02-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Don't they have independent/special schools in America?

Do a test for one of them and if you're as smart as you say then you might get a scholarship? Hence, problem solved.

Revolver-2005?
02-06-2005, 08:05 AM
No Child Left Behind is the most bull shitty plan ever, it screws teachers, students, and administrators over. My teacher has to retire because of this plan, it requires him to do like 80 more days of schooling, but hes been working as a teacher at my school for 35 years, i think that should be enough. Over half of the seniors in my school have been denied the right to graduate, because the standardized tests have been uped, and they were unprepared because all these new idiotic teachers are being put in place of the good teachers who deserve the job. I cant gain my credits for this year because I was absent 11 days, which should really only be 6 days, I was supposed to be allowed to take Jewish holidays off, because im Jewish, but with No Child Left Behind, I cant freakin get my credits or my holidays off...

Bush suck my cock

Betty
02-06-2005, 08:55 AM
I support standardized tests.

May not be fair to spring them on senior students (if that's what they're doing), but I think it's good for them to be introduced.

There ARE serious problems with the education system. Some people graduate highschool and can barely read, write, or do basic math.

lost_nvrfound
02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
But anyway, I think all I can give to you is advice. That is, grow up, and start learning how to teach yourself. If there is a subject that you want to learn about, and your teacher is an idiot, then read the textbook, read other textbooks, make sure YOU understand.

honestly... if u've evr read a highschool textbook, than u should kno that they do about as well a job explaining something as the teachers do...

my problem is that the teachers don't think they need to teach, or they don't know how... wut really gets me is that the same teachers who won't spend anytime teaching my class, will spend as much time as it takes to teach their cp class the same thing... they just automatically assume that when we are told something, we automatically figure out why it works...

now i don't have a problem in math so much, because i get that stuff right when its shown to me... but thats just math... i nvr get wuts going on in english, and all the worst teachers (for the most part) teach english, at least honors english...

and i wasn't given a choice whether i would take honors or not... because in 1st grade (thats right, first grade) i took and AL test and got high marks on it... so evr since then, i haven't been given a choice

and now i rambling.. so i shall go now

UgLy_eLf
02-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Text books lead you in circles especially in subjects that count most in High School, almost fucking impossible to learn from them unless you've already discussed or know a little about what you're trying to learn.

Betty
02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
I guess when it comes to textbooks, it really depends on what type of learner you are. I learn mostly everything from the books, and find it easier to understand that way. I also said that you could read other books besides the one you are assigned. This could be especially true for English.

Also, I agree that the worst teachers teach English. My teacher was THE worst, I hated her so much. That's because, (in my elitist scientist opinion), a lot of English students aren't smart enough to do math/science... but they can still manage to do okay in English cause you can get passing grades even if you suck at it. Hopefully that's not too offensive.

lost_nvrfound
02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
yeah english is a pretty easy class... i'm currenlty failing it though cuz i nvr do my homework or turn in projects...its pretty funny cuz my teacher recomended me for cp english for next year even though my lowest test score is an 85 (vocab, i had looked at the words maybe once) the only thing i'm really worried about is the SATs cuz i wanna go to prat institute in New York or some big art school like that, but i still need high scores for scholarships and stuff (prat's tuition is over $28,000)... it'd be really awesome to go to school in southern cali or hawaii or something like that... sry... my thoughts are all over the place...

Skate Rat 19
02-15-2005, 03:48 PM
No child left behind was made for asshole wigger and nigger kids who deserve to be left behind and shot. By niggers i dont mean black people, i mean black thugs and "gangsta's" and the buttfuckers who get someone pregnant with a few kids and then ditches their partner, thus creating more niggers.

lost_nvrfound
02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
No child left behind was made for asshole wigger and nigger kids who deserve to be left behind and shot. By niggers i dont mean black people, i mean black thugs and "gangsta's" and the buttfuckers who get someone pregnant with a few kids and then ditches their partner, thus creating more niggers.

yes...that's who it was made 4 but they don't necessarily deserve to be left behind...many do... but not evry1 who fits into the stereotypes previously stated deserve that...

no one deserves to be shot...

lost_nvrfound
03-22-2005, 05:58 PM
...'cept bush and his cronies...