PDA

View Full Version : News from the studio!

Lavrova Maria
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Just finished up a week in the studio...2 1/2 more demos...the pile of songs is getting big! -Dex

Greekoldfan
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm so happy now!i hope the new album will not only include 12 songs as usual

~|Vredina|~
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
That's really great news!

Btw, there are 2 threads for offspring twitter posts already.

DMelges
11-10-2010, 11:51 AM
That's great news!

jacknife737
11-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice to get an update: seems like they've still got a fair share of work to do, if they're still demoing songs.

Sefalobe_theoffspring
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Name of the songs?. I want something new know!. I can┤t wait!!!.. Please!:D

cool 2 hate 681
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
hopefully they get it out by summer 2011

Castormut
11-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Hopefully the new album will include more than 12 songs! Good to have news from dexter.

ThunderPX
11-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah, damn albums with 12 songs, like, I dunno...
http://c0000636.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/ignition.jpg

ad8
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
That's great news! I can't wait for the first audio/video previews!

Outerspaceman21
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
What is with all the "Hope it has more than 12 songs" bullshit? Like if it has 11, the album is automatically crap?

Alex101
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
hopefully they get it out by summer 2011
Yeah, either that or fall, since Dexter said 2 1/2 more demos.

ThunderPX
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, either that or fall, since Dexter said 2 1/2 more demos.

I think he meant they recorded two-and-a-half demos this week.

(starring Charlie Sheen)

jacknife737
11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
What is with all the "Hope it has more than 12 songs" bullshit? Like if it has 11, the album is automatically crap?

Honestly, 10 songs in about 30-35 minutes is probably my favorite length of an album: cuts down on the filler.

Outerspaceman21
11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Honestly, 10 songs in about 30-35 minutes is probably my favorite length of an album: cuts down on the filler.

Agreed. I don't care about album length, time-wise or track-wise. I believe I've made this point clear in the past, but i'll say it again: Quality, not Quantity.

weezly
11-10-2010, 11:09 PM
yeah but like splinter had some good tracks, but it was kinda like listening to half an album imo

Budzy
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
I'd be happy with 1 song as long as it kicks ass, but im sure the whole album will! Good news!

randman21
11-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Agreed. I don't care about album length, time-wise or track-wise. I believe I've made this point clear in the past, but i'll say it again: Quality, not Quantity.
With most bands, I would totally agree with this, but see, Offspring always puts out quality, no matter the length of the album (going on the premise that I really like Splinter), so I want as much as they can possibly fit into the album.

MAXTER
11-11-2010, 04:48 AM
12 tracks or not, somehow will be a great album!!! :rolleyes:

ixnay04
11-11-2010, 06:23 AM
They are only demos, they still have a lot to work on...we wont get any real news until the new year. We should all realize this by now lol.

Mrfreak
11-11-2010, 08:08 AM
I hope that they will put on new album some songs which were recorded but weren't published on splinter or RAFRAG.

Mrfreak
11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
...Or put them on some EP

_Way_Down_the_Line_
11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
talk about the demos in the PODCASTS :D !!! We want to know about them haha

samseby
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
That's good news :) I guess ;).
Hope they have fun.

Sefalobe_theoffspring
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I have something new to you: New song!. It┤s called "Hero Up!".

Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/430249194/The_Offspring_-_Hero_up_.mp3

I┤m confussed. That Offspring?. MMMM... Just listen.

Sorry guys if i wrong.

MAXTER
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Sorry guys if i wrong.

You're Wrong! :D

TripleDK
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Sorry guys if i wrong.

That's not The Offspring, and I can't really understand how you would believe that:confused: It sounds like some intro/theme song for some cartoon show.

Sefalobe_theoffspring
11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry!... I thought it was Dexter on Vocals but i┤m wrong. Sorry Guys!!!:(

KHWHD
11-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Great news! :D

bouncingcoles
11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
im not expecting this album to be out until earliest summer 2011.

ixnay04
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
im not expecting this album to be out until earliest summer 2011.

I totally, 100 percent agree. Summer or Fall 2011...and I hate saying this but the Offspring take too long to record albums. However, there isn't much we can do. Bob Rock is busy with other bands, Dexter is busy with his sauce, and the band in general are busy with touring, friends, and family. Oh well! Never the less...i want new music!!!

cool 2 hate 681
11-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I totally, 100 percent agree. Summer or Fall 2011...and I hate saying this but the Offspring take too long to record albums. However, there isn't much we can do. Bob Rock is busy with other bands, Dexter is busy with his sauce, and the band in general are busy with touring, friends, and family. Oh well! Never the less...i want new music!!!

yeah i just wish they didn't guarantee us a new album this year only to not deliver:(

Outerspaceman21
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
yeah i just wish they didn't guarantee us a new album this year only to not deliver:(

"The group hopes to release their ninth studio album, the highly anticipated follow-up to 2008's "Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace", later this year, although Kriesel acknowledged that sometimes the process can take 'a bit longer than you anticipate.' "

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/the_offspring_bassist_on_new_album.html

Little_Miss_1565
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Where did they guarantee us a new album this year?

cool 2 hate 681
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Where did they guarantee us a new album this year?

in this interview from 2009 with a radio station in canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukatuRkf_Ic

listen from 1:30 to 2:00

bouncingcoles
11-12-2010, 09:04 PM

an album with 10 songs can have filler

Free?
11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
in this interview from 2009 with a radio station in canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukatuRkf_Ic

listen from 1:30 to 2:00

Thank you for posting this, few words from the men about Frank Turner was a pleasant surprise! But yeah, Dexter said it clear about new album coming in 2010, I wouldn't put it as if he guaranteed though, sounds more like he felt confident about it, I suppose their plans have changed since then.

Llamas
11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
To everyone saying the album should have more than 12 songs:

You mean 12 tracks, not songs.

S/T = 11 songs*.
Ignition = 12 songs.
Smash = 13 songs (+ Time to Relax, which isn't a song.)
Ixnay = 12 songs (+ Disclaimer and Intermission, which aren't songs.)
Americana = 12 songs (+ Welcome, which isn't a song.)
CO1 = 12 songs** (+ Intro, which isn't a song.)
Splinter = 12 songs.
RFRG = 12 songs.

There is a maximum of TWO exceptions; otherwise, all their albums have been 12 songs or less. Are you people trying to say that Smash and CO1 were the only great quality albums because they had more songs? I'm happy to live without the silly tracks like Welcome and Intro... I'll take 12 songs over 12 songs + 2 silly tracks.

And in terms of how long the albums are:

RFRG is 44 minutes long, and there is no empty time or silly tracks like Welcome and Intro.

Splinter is 32 minutes long.

CO1 is 37 minutes long (40 if you have Huck It), including Intro.

Americana is about 41 minutes long (if you remove all the dead silence after Pay the Man), including Welcome.

Ixnay is about 40 minutes long, including Disclaimer and Intermission.

Smash is about 39 minutes long (if you remove all the silence after Smash), including Time to Relax.

Ignition is about 37 minutes long.

S/T is about 31 minutes long.

You might notice that the newest album was actually the longest to date. Splinter was short, but RFRG was the longest album they've made.

In conclusion: stop complaining.

*unless you got a newer version of the album, in which case it's only 10 songs.
**unless you live outside the US, in which case it's 13 songs.

ThunderPX
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't care how long the album is as long as it's good. RAFRAG was their longest, but it's also my least favourite Offspring album.

EDIT: Oh, and the production has to be better than RAFRAG's autotune and odd guitar sound. Hell, I'll take Smash's production over that.

Mrfreak
11-18-2010, 05:27 AM
Do you remember how long we was waiting for RAFRAG? So I think, that we can wait for new fucking awsome album even by summer 2011...

Alex101
11-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Do you remember how long we was waiting for RAFRAG? So I think, that we can wait for new fucking awsome album even by summer 2011...
Yes, they had been recording RAFRAG for two years (from 2006 to 2008). And about the new album, yes, I guess we can expect a summer 2011 release date, since Dexter said weeks ago that he was finished demoing the new songs.

Little_Miss_1565
11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes, they had been recording RAFRAG for two years (from 2006 to 2008). And about the new album, yes, I guess we can expect a summer 2011 release date, since Dexter said weeks ago that he was finished demoing the new songs.

Finished demoing. Not finished recording. Please don't expect a release date until a press release goes out annoucing it.

mrXniick
11-22-2010, 10:07 PM

He never said they were finished demoing all the songs, just a couple...

Stop spreading mis-information

Outerspaceman21
11-22-2010, 10:14 PM
I expect it out by summer 2011. With the Offspring work ethic, that seems like a reasonable date. RafRag was recorded in about a year times (2007, they took a break most of 2006, while casually working on demos).

RafRag only seemed like it took forever because they released a Greatest Hits album in between Splinter and RafRag and many don't count that as a full album.

Another reason why I expect the album to be done by that date is they already debuted a completed song. Hammerhead was debuted in winter of 07' with rafrag released the following the summer. Granted, some factors are different, like Offspring had an entire tour to do that lasted into August, but we have a video recorded that shows You'll Find A Way was recorded prior to being debuted on the tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JyoYTPchz8).

This is just my perception of the whole thing, I don't mean to cause a whole bunch of speculation over a theory.

Oxygene
11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't care how long the album is as long as it's good. RAFRAG was their longest, but it's also my least favourite Offspring album.

EDIT: Oh, and the production has to be better than RAFRAG's autotune and odd guitar sound. Hell, I'll take Smash's production over that.

Hold the phone.. now that you've posted it, Dexter called and he said "back to the drawing board" so they are restarting the whole thing from scratch...

sheeesh

SMASHedTHEignition
11-23-2010, 02:17 AM
To everyone saying the album should have more than 12 songs:

You mean 12 tracks, not songs.

S/T = 11 songs*.
Ignition = 12 songs.
Smash = 13 songs (+ Time to Relax, which isn't a song.)
Ixnay = 12 songs (+ Disclaimer and Intermission, which aren't songs.)
Americana = 12 songs (+ Welcome, which isn't a song.)
CO1 = 12 songs** (+ Intro, which isn't a song.)
Splinter = 12 songs.
RFRG = 12 songs.

There is a maximum of TWO exceptions; otherwise, all their albums have been 12 songs or less. Are you people trying to say that Smash and CO1 were the only great quality albums because they had more songs? I'm happy to live without the silly tracks like Welcome and Intro... I'll take 12 songs over 12 songs + 2 silly tracks.

And in terms of how long the albums are:

RFRG is 44 minutes long, and there is no empty time or silly tracks like Welcome and Intro.

Splinter is 32 minutes long.

CO1 is 37 minutes long (40 if you have Huck It), including Intro.

Americana is about 41 minutes long (if you remove all the dead silence after Pay the Man), including Welcome.

Ixnay is about 40 minutes long, including Disclaimer and Intermission.

Smash is about 39 minutes long (if you remove all the silence after Smash), including Time to Relax.

Ignition is about 37 minutes long.

S/T is about 31 minutes long.

You might notice that the newest album was actually the longest to date. Splinter was short, but RFRG was the longest album they've made.

In conclusion: stop complaining.

*unless you got a newer version of the album, in which case it's only 10 songs.
**unless you live outside the US, in which case it's 13 songs.

no offence man but just because all of those "silly tracks" arent actually songs, it doesnt change the fact that they are fucking hilarious :L i love em haha

ThunderPX
11-23-2010, 05:19 AM
Hold the phone.. now that you've posted it, Dexter called and he said "back to the drawing board" so they are restarting the whole thing from scratch...

sheeesh

No need to be an ass. I never said the band absolutely definitely 100% must conform to my wishes or else. That would be stupid because my opinion isn't relevant. I'm just saying I didn't like RAFRAG's production.

Oxygene
11-24-2010, 05:11 AM
No need to be an ass.

Good advice.. make sure to take it :)

nameless
11-24-2010, 06:47 PM

keep in mind that although many people had their suspicions, it wasnt really public knowledge that atom had left. im not saying thats the reason the album took as long as it did but they would have needed to fall in line with the josh freese schedule for the demoing and recording!

ThunderPX
11-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Good advice.. make sure to take it :)

Well excuse me. I thought this was General Offspring Discussion, not General Offspring Asskissing.

bouncingcoles
11-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Id be happy with 30 minutes of fucking great songs than 50 minutes of mostly okay songs. if they are really still doing demos dont expect this album to be done be EARLIEST summer 2011

My Name Was Taken
11-25-2010, 09:25 PM

=[ Offspring + Autotune ...┐Conformity? :'(

Oxygene
11-26-2010, 04:15 AM
Well excuse me. I thought this was General Offspring Discussion, not General Offspring Asskissing.

That was even weaker than your previous half assed attempt.. oh boy. But you are excused

Llamas
11-26-2010, 07:21 AM
No need to be an ass. I never said the band absolutely definitely 100% must conform to my wishes or else. That would be stupid because my opinion isn't relevant. I'm just saying I didn't like RAFRAG's production.

It's all in how you said it:

the production has to be better than RAFRAG's autotune and odd guitar sound. Hell, I'll take Smash's production over that.

There's a huge difference between, "I think it'd be great if _______" and "It has to be ________". If you'd just said, "I didn't like RAFRAG's production", like you claim, then I'm sure Oxy would've had nothing to say.

Llamas
11-26-2010, 07:24 AM
=[ Offspring + Autotune ...┐Conformity? :'(

ONOES does this mean the offspring is no longer trupunx?? :( :( :(

Oxygene
11-26-2010, 08:31 AM
There's a huge difference between, "I think it'd be great if _______" and "It has to be ________". If you'd just said, "I didn't like RAFRAG's production", like you claim, then I'm sure Oxy would've had nothing to say.

There is a difference between taste and preferences, and a "I know all objectively and scientifically" attitude.. so in other words Llamas is right...

ThunderPX
11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
grrrrr semantics

Jojan
11-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Should start one of these again: http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=31961

jsmak84
11-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I am optimistic, and abandon the odds for now .... I refer in the next news YA YAR YE

:D

RazielSR
11-27-2010, 08:48 AM
That's very optimistic. They will keep pilling up demos till March. Then, start playing with different guitars and microphones for another 6 months. Dex finishing some lyrics. Mixing. Mastering. Pressing. Yeah, December 2011, if the record label won't move it to spring 2012.

What are you saying? Dexter said that this new album it's gonna be release in a shorter timeline than Splinter-RAFRAG.

Anyway, why do they need that incredible amount of time to release an album?? In the past, they released albums every two years!

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2010, 12:38 PM
grrrrr semantics

Unfortunately, since we're in a text-only environment, semantics are super important so that people don't get the wrong idea from what you say.

What are you saying? Dexter said that this new album it's gonna be release in a shorter timeline than Splinter-RAFRAG.

Anyway, why do they need that incredible amount of time to release an album?? In the past, they released albums every two years!

They'll need whatever time they need to make an album that they're happy with. :)

yarock
11-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I just admire how you stand harshly and fervently behind the band Little_Miss_1565, even the band members may not look after their interests/benefits as you do.

They surely can use their time-especially if they want to put out a special one- as they want, but they are also responsible to their supporters.

Anyway, I just think that the impatient mass that waiting for the album eagerly are probably teenage people. Not to sneer, I was like them too.

Now I just feel cozy for that I don't wait desperately for the next album.

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I just admire how you stand harshly and fervently behind the band Little_Miss_1565, even the band members may not look after their interests/benefits as you do.

They surely can use their time-especially if they want to put out a special one- as they want, but they are also responsible to their supporters.

Anyway, I just think that the impatient mass that waiting for the album eagerly are probably teenage people. Not to sneer, I was like them too.

Now I just feel cozy for that I don't wait desperately for the next album.

:) Thanks.

I agree, they do have a responsibility to their fans and supporters, and trust me, they do know this. I wish they'd address the recording process in the podcasts, but from my experience with them, if they're not doing something, they generally have a well thought-out reason for it. But I think they've proven with RAFRAG that if we give them some space to write and record and go through the process however they need to do it (and however long it takes), they come back with something pretty cool. I mean, I can send all kinds of emails letting everyone know what people here want. But in the end, it's their record, and they know what they need to do, you know?

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
But I think they've proven with RAFRAG that if we give them some space to write and record and go through the process however they need to do it (and however long it takes), they come back with something pretty cool.

If pretty cool includes Fix You and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? then no

codberg
11-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Im just hoping that there will be more songs like Stuff is messed up and YGGFK

cool 2 hate 681
11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
im hoping for songs like takes me nowhere or nothingtown

Thank you for posting this

no problem im a pretty big fan of frank turner as well:)

codberg
11-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Im a bass player so im really hoping for some really good bass lines to learn like nothingtown.

Omni
11-27-2010, 10:50 PM
A year or two seemed to be the standard at one point, and a record every two years is not bad and is still done by a lot of bands. Weezer has put out three in the past three years. Bands like Linkin Park have always taken forever, but in cases like the Offspring, I think the band has just been around for so long that they don't have the drive or energy to work like they used to. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

ad8
11-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Im just hoping that there will be more songs like Stuff is messed up and YGGFK

im hoping for songs like takes me nowhere or nothingtown
Add more songs like Half-Truism and Trust In You and that's pretty much what I'd love to have on the new album... on the other hand I don't know if it's right to say "I want songs like...". I guess I wouldn't mind them trying out something new if it works.

A year or two seemed to be the standard at one point, and a record every two years is not bad and is still done by a lot of bands. Weezer has put out three in the past three years. Bands like Linkin Park have always taken forever, but in cases like the Offspring, I think the band has just been around for so long that they don't have the drive or energy to work like they used to. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.
Yes, I think they are way more relaxed about putting out albums in these days. I mean, they have no need to hastily bring out a follow-up. They are doing it for themselves and want to release the record once it's good enough.

SMASHedTHEignition
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
i reckon noodles should have a crack at another song :D DUI was the best fuckin song i listened to in ages when i first heard it.Still love it

KyleW
11-30-2010, 06:21 AM

Yes, I think they are way more relaxed about putting out albums in these days. I mean, they have no need to hastily bring out a follow-up. They are doing it for themselves and want to release the record once it's good enough.

I think the commercial pressure is kind of off their backs as well now so they don't have to worry about getting another album out to keep the public interested. Its clear that not as many new people are discovering them now compared to, say, the Smash or Americana days and so when they release an album the vast majority of listeners are already going to be fans so they don't have to focus on a quick production to attract new people, they can take their time and produce an album they are happy with which is what the fans want really.

For Real
11-30-2010, 07:28 PM
ugh... slow as molasses!

do u know what molasses is? well, it doesn't have anything to do with asses!! lol

*ahem*

anyways... back to the studio talk... geesh, what I'd give to see a studio pictoral again... you know, like when Dex ate a bag of chips? lol Hey! I wonder if I sent him a bag a chips from out of my company's vending machine at work, if he would eat them? Or better yet, swap them for a bottle of GB PR? :D

.....it could haaaappeen :cool:

findout5
12-01-2010, 04:02 AM
So...I just read a bunch of useless posts and wasted 5 min. of my life!
No news is the official status! When there's news it'll show up on a PR or the homepage...so, it begs the question...why even bother to register for the boards?

samseby
12-01-2010, 05:45 AM
I'll put in my two cents:
Does it really matter when the new album is gonna be out (as in is it really that important)? It's not like this is a life-and-death issue ;).
Sure, it would be nice to get a new album asap but if it's not ready/finished yet or in a month or two so be it. I got time.
But that's just me ;)

Little_Miss_1565
12-01-2010, 07:21 AM
so, it begs the question...why even bother to register for the boards?

To talk to other fans?

FrancoDaHui
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
ok i didnt want to make a new thread about this, but can someone tell me WHEN DID THEY PLAYED THIS???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VCb8z5uhg&feature=related

cool 2 hate 681
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
ok i didnt want to make a new thread about this, but can someone tell me WHEN DID THEY PLAYED THIS???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VCb8z5uhg&feature=related

Sep 5, 2009

cool 2 hate 681
12-20-2010, 06:39 PM
new tweet

Just wrapped up 2 more weeks in the studio. Pick back up after the holidays..2011 release! -D

http://twitter.com/offspring/status/17044209093582848