PDA

View Full Version : New Red Hot Chili Peppers album possibly out by March 2011

Ryder1234
11-16-2010, 11:14 PM
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/chad-smith-on-new-bombastic-meatbats-red-hot-chili-peppers-chickenfoot-284879/5

-I'm just projecting and guessing, but I would say we'd like to try to deliver the album in March. We're definitely hoping to have it out by next summer. It's been a long time in coming

I for one am really excited for this. RHCP obviously being one of, if not my favorite band, I'm excited to see what they're going to bring this time, with new guitarist Josh Klinghoffer being basically John Frusciante's understudy, if anyone had to replace him it was Josh. Good to hear that their about halfway through the album, it somewhat reinforces Chad's comment on getting it out by March.

What's your thoughts?

Llamas
11-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Oh, I'll definitely be listening to this album, for sure. I like RHCP. However, Stadium Arcadium left a good amount to be desired. Well, I think it was simply too much. Double albums rarely turn out well, and it was no exception. I mean, it had quite a few great song on it, but they should've waned it down to about 15 songs or so. That said, I hope this album will take them back in the right direction. Californication and By the Way are two of the band's best albums (those plus bssm... but bssm pales in comparison lyrically), and I just hope they'll pick up where they left off.

ThunderPX
11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
RHCP have been making albums that are too damn long for at least twenty years.

That said, the addition of Klinghoffer plus Chad Smith saying they were experimenting with African sounds should ensure that, at the very least, we don't get subpar rehashes of songs they already did like a lot of Stadium Arcadium.

yarock
11-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Wish that Navarro had the guitars. One Hot Minute has always been my fav.
I hope the new songs are more likely to One Hot Minute and By the Way songs.

ThunderPX
11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I secretly kinda hoped that they'd bring back Navarro too before they announced Klinghoffer as Frusciante's permanent replacement, but it was pretty obvious that wasn't going to happen since Jane's Addiction reunited and the band reportedly didn't like working with Navarro anyway.

Llamas
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
RHCP have been making albums that are too damn long for at least twenty years.

Eh, I dunno if I agree. BSSM was certainly too long. 17 songs, one of which was 8 minutes long. Lots of great songs there, but too much filler. One Hot Minute was a very normal-length album. Californication was just right, in my opinion. Every song belonged, even if I didn't like all the songs, and the album doesn't drag on like BSSM (which I rarely get all the way through). By the Way is a bit long, but it's mostly a very solid album.

But Stadium Arcadium... I've never once been able to listen from beginning to end. There are sooo many songs that are pretty much useless.

Also, I find this amusing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/RHCP_Members_by_Year.png

ThunderPX
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
That chart is so big it took me four refreshes to make it load entirely. XD Most of those are just temporary players they had until they found someone who fit in, though... I bet if Kiedis hadn't written Scar Tissue (the book), a lot of those people wouldn't even be on there.

On album lengths: I suppose One Hot Minute isn't too bad with this, but it has a very dense and exhausting sound. I can only get through it if I'm in the right mood.
Californication, I have no qualms with at present, but I have a lot of memories of my brother playing the album all the time back when it came out and being annoyed at how long it was. It's still almost an hour long; I guess I've just become so familiar with all the songs on it that it doesn't matter anymore.

EDIT: I do hope that with Frusciante out, they'll at least play some One Hot Minute stuff live. In Scar Tissue, Kiedis pretty much says that they only stopped playing them because Frusciante was uncomfortable with the idea.

EDIT2: Just to prove it's possible, here's my attempt at compressing Stadium Arcadium into one disc.

01 - Dani California
02 - Tell Me Baby
03 - 21st Century
04 - Stadium Arcadium
05 - Hump De Bump
06 - She's Only 18
07 - Charlie
08 - Slow Cheetah
08 - Torture Me
09 - Strip My Mind
11 - Warlocks
12 - C'mon Girl
13 - Desecration Smile
14 - Wet Sand
15 - Death of a Martian

Shorter than By the Way. I did have trouble cutting a couple songs, and I'm not sure about the last three songs; the climax of Wet Sand into Death of a Martian works well enough, but putting Desecration Smile before it might be a bit too much down-tempo stuff at the end. I couldn't find any other place to put it though, and I like it too much to cut it. This reinforces my theory that after they were done recording, the Peppers had about one-and-a-half album of decent to good material, didn't want to waste any of it and added a bunch of filler to pad it out into two full discs.

Ryder1234
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Personally I've never been too fond of One Hot Minute, it just doesn't do it for me. It has it's bright spots thought, just for the most part I feel disinterested listening to it.

I'd like to see if they could do some experimenting with styles similar to Freaky Styley, I've always loved that album it's so groovy, and there's no doubting that if Hillel was still around and had gotten cleaned up, he'd be a great guitarist, some of his guitar parts were pretty innovative. Although if he didn't die, Kiedis probably would have.

I've never had a problem with the length of BSSM, maybe a bit long, but I only find a few of the songs to be filler. for me that's a solid album.

Llamas
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Personally I've never been too fond of One Hot Minute, it just doesn't do it for me. It has it's bright spots thought, just for the most part I feel disinterested listening to it.
I'd say I generally agree on this. It's certainly not a bad album, but most of the time I just sort of forget it exists. Sometimes I'm like, "wtf there were like 8 years between bssm and californication... didn't they do something else in that time?? Ohhhhh... yeah."

I'd like to see if they could do some experimenting with styles similar to Freaky Styley, I've always loved that album it's so groovy, and there's no doubting that if Hillel was still around and had gotten cleaned up, he'd be a great guitarist, some of his guitar parts were pretty innovative. Although if he didn't die, Kiedis probably would have.
I've always wondered what rhcp would be like without Anthony. Not that I'd *EVER* wish he'd died instead of Hillel or anything, but I've always felt like he was sort of the weakest part of the band, musically. There's no contesting that the guy's a killer frontman, and the guy can write a mean melody... he's got a fairly distinctive voice that everyone has come to associate with the band... (and it generally suits their sound)... but in addition to his lyrics leaving a lot to be desired, he really just does *not* have a good singing voice. Back in the days of the first few albums, that was clearly not an issue. As long as you could jump around like a monkey and be crazygonuts, that was plenty. But starting with BSSM (and really becoming a thing on Californication), he started really *singing*... and he's just not good at it. I'm not bashing him, but it just always seemed strange to me considering the amazing talent that he's surrounded with. John, Chad, and Flea are just terrific -and Anthony's just crazy. :P

I'd say that By the Way is my favorite album, followed closely by Californication. Then BSSM and then Stadium Arcadium. I haven't really gotten into any of the others.

nameless
11-18-2010, 07:16 PM
i think they are one of those bands that whatever they do, people are gonna lap it up! theyve coped in the past with different guitarists but it will be interestign tosee if anything does change drastically!

For Real
11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
OHM was my fav. Aint no way Dave Navarro will EVER play guitar for them again. RHCP would not be what it is today had it not been for John Frusciante returning in the late 90's. Also, I would not be who I am nor WHERE I am today had it not been for John Frusciante's hypnotic guitar on "Scar Tissue" <<-------the beginning of many "musical" revelations for me. Funny, how inspiring etc. John Frusciante's guitar is, and yet I STILL like the One Hot Minute album the best...talk about contradictions. Man-o-man.