PDA

View Full Version : Dexter's shoutout to Dr. Bartner!

Tijs
11-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Guess Dr. Barner is THE MAN behind USC Marching Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rLzYbKupBY&fmt=22

Oxygene
11-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Guess Dr. Barner is THE MAN behind USC Marching Band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rLzYbKupBY&fmt=22

Those diezel amps sound badass

Zee
11-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Cool. :cool:

randman21
11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Heh, the happiest band on earth thing made me chuckle. I swear the saxophone in that one guy's mouth is a shotgun.

Dexter and Henry Winkler makes for a great video. Thanks for sharing.

cool 2 hate 681
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
thanks for posting this:)

Outerspaceman21
11-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Nice. Really cool. Dexter attended USC, which I think is why he's doing the thank you video.

Llamas
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Haha, I know this is just the band nerd in me talking, but I couldn't help but notice that none of the speakers knew crap about band. I mean, it's super cool that they put this together - directing a band for 40 years is not all that common. Usually you direct a band for a while, and then you sort of get promoted in the music department - maybe to Director of Bands or even Director of Music. I get the feeling this guy was just passionate about directing the marching band, so he stuck with it. But especially when the one guy said that the USC band is an example to all other bands... that was laughable :D I mean, they're famous because they're in a California school that has a shitload of money... the band itself is nothing special, but they play for one of the best football teams in the country and people know about USC. But all my band ever paid attention to is the fact that they always wear sunglasses, which is just strange.

Anyway, again, it's nice that they did this for him - a nice tribute to a band director.

Oh, and to Tijs, your comment about him being "THE MAN", the director makes final decisions on which music and shows the band performs, organizes rehearsals, and chooses all the leaders and teachers within the band. I mean, yeah, he pretty much is the man :D

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Llamas, I don't think the point of this video was to talk to people who had anything to do with marching bands...I mean, the director has used Offspring songs in the USC band's oeuvre, so I presume that's why Dexter was included (other than the whole famous alumni thing). It's a "hey, thanks for everything you've done for so long, wo here's lots of awesome famous people talking about how awesome you are," you know?

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are my hometown team, and all I want is for us to give USC a good, solid thrashing at next Saturday's game in CA. But I do have respect for anyone having led a music program for four decades. :)

Llamas
11-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Llamas, I don't think the point of this video was to talk to people who had anything to do with marching bands...I mean, the director has used Offspring songs in the USC band's oeuvre, so I presume that's why Dexter was included (other than the whole famous alumni thing). It's a "hey, thanks for everything you've done for so long, wo here's lots of awesome famous people talking about how awesome you are," you know?

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are my hometown team, and all I want is for us to give USC a good, solid thrashing at next Saturday's game in CA. But I do have respect for anyone having led a music program for four decades. :)

I don't disagree with anything you said :P I was just amused, that's all - like I said, I was just being a band nerd. And of course that's why Dexter was in the video... it's a pretty flattering move for the USC director to choose Offspring songs like that. And hell yeah, directing a band for 4 decades is something special :)

Oh, and I do hope you guys stick it to USC! Down with the Trojans! I mean, my team sucks something awful this year... so I just have to cheer for other teams to beat stupid teams like USC ;)

Thomas
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
This is inevitably going to turn into an OT rant, I'm sure. I just have very VERY strong feelings toward the USC band. Anyone who directs a band for four decades and still doesn't have his shit together shouldn't be a big deal because they mention Dexter. I'm always in a state of disgust whenever I hear that band play any of my favorite Offspring songs, so I don't see why this is a big deal at all. It would be like the director of some bad high school band in the south side of my town giving thanks to Dexter for playing some Offspring songs poorly, except I'm sure the shitty high school band in the low-income side of town at least attempts to teach their students values and musicianship.

Oxygene
11-22-2010, 01:17 AM
This is inevitably going to turn into an OT rant, I'm sure. I just have very VERY strong feelings toward the USC band. Anyone who directs a band for four decades and still doesn't have his shit together shouldn't be a big deal because they mention Dexter. I'm always in a state of disgust whenever I hear that band play any of my favorite Offspring songs, so I don't see why this is a big deal at all. It would be like the director of some bad high school band in the south side of my town giving thanks to Dexter for playing some Offspring songs poorly, except I'm sure the shitty high school band in the low-income side of town at least attempts to teach their students values and musicianship.

That was soooo weak. Try again...

samseby
11-22-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm not that much into marching bands actually but thanks for posting the vid :)

Thomas
11-22-2010, 08:58 AM
That was soooo weak. Try again...

Okay, if a band director who DOESN'T teach their students to disrespect other musicians (i.e. stealing trumpet soloist's mouthpiece from my band just last week or surrounding football field when other bands are playing and looking away) were to give Dexter a shoutout, then maybe I would give a shit. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, so his opinion is completely worthless to me.

Llamas
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Okay, if a band director who DOESN'T teach their students to disrespect other musicians (i.e. stealing trumpet soloist's mouthpiece from my band just last week or surrounding football field when other bands are playing and looking away) were to give Dexter a shoutout, then maybe I would give a shit. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, so his opinion is completely worthless to me.

I was wondering if you'd chime in here. I've definitely heard some nasty things about their band - that they're very similar to the Wisconsin band in terms of attitude and behavior. Two things I always loved about my band was that we were always expected to be very professional and treat every other band with respect, and that we actually *rehearsed music*. Bands like USC never practice music, and just focus on being "cool" and doing things to grab attention. Also, every time I watch a USC game on tv, their band only plays the same like 3 or 4 songs over and over, and they have terrible intonation. I've yet to hear them play a remotely challenging song... instead opting to only play pop songs that everyone knows. It's really cheap. I heard them play a Linkin Park song recently :-/ They have no respect for tradition, talent, or other bands.

So yeah I actually do stand by my comment about the fact that that one guy was terribly wrong when he said the USC band stands an example for other bands to look to. I understand why people who don't like anything about marching bands would think it's cool that a band plays Offspring songs, but it is kinda too bad that it's *this* particular band.

edit: I found the Linkin Park song, and it's much worse than I remembered. I would've been seriously pissed had our director made us play such boring, simplistic, repetitive music. Furthermore, even with such an easy song it is, they still sound like crap. Haha. Oh, and I just listened to their version of YGGF,K... wow. I'm in awe of how they destroyed it. It's such an exciting, fun song, and they turned it into junk. But of course they do some idiotic random dance to try to make them seem "cool" and make up for how out of tune they are. :D Some bands can pull off doing a really popular song now and then (Thomas, your band's rendition of that Radiohead song is quite cool), but USC doesn't ever do anything that requires talent.

I think this thread actually made me lose even more respect for the USC band. They've really destroyed Offspring songs :(

cool 2 hate 681
11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
what do you guys think about ucla? are they as bad as usc?

Llamas
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I think UCLA's band is considerably better than USC's, though they're nothing remarkable. Thomas and I differ vastly on what qualities we value in a band's marching style, but I'm sure we agree on musical talent and attitude... and those are both areas where UCLA is drastically better than USC. Do you to go to UCLA?

cool 2 hate 681
11-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Do you to go to UCLA?

no i don't i was just wondering what you guys thought about them

Outerspaceman21
11-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I agree with Thomas. When I was in high school marching band, a lot of the seniors graduating always talked about which school they were going to and what marching bands they wanted to join and one told me they had a bad reputation and thats why he didn't want to attend USC. Honestly, I'm not very impressed either with their shows.

I never really got very interested in college marching bands. I have more of an interest in drum and bugle corps. I went to a finals one time here in California at the rose bowl a couple year back and enjoyed the overall performance from all bands. Really fun experience.

Thomas
11-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I agree with Thomas. When I was in high school marching band, a lot of the seniors graduating always talked about which school they were going to and what marching bands they wanted to join and one told me they had a bad reputation and thats why he didn't want to attend USC. Honestly, I'm not very impressed either with their shows.

I never really got very interested in college marching bands. I have more of an interest in drum and bugle corps. I went to a finals one time here in California at the rose bowl a couple year back and enjoyed the overall performance from all bands. Really fun experience.

Yeah, any band that massacres Offspring songs the way they do deserves absolutely no fucking respect whatsoever.

Also, quite off topic, but Imma be auditioning for the Cavaliers and Academy drum and bugle corps within the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

Oxygene
11-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Conversation like this is what the terrorists use to recruit suicide bombers.. if it isn't then those extreemist recruiters aren't doing their fucking jobs!

SERIOUSLY GUYS?!

They steel my mouth piece, they're a shitty band, they're the gays, UCLA is ooo much not worser... o my lord.

Thomas
11-23-2010, 06:53 AM
Conversation like this is what the terrorists use to recruit suicide bombers.. if it isn't then those extreemist recruiters aren't doing their fucking jobs!

SERIOUSLY GUYS?!

They steel my mouth piece, they're a shitty band, they're the gays, UCLA is ooo much not worser... o my lord.

I just don't understand how people would get excited over a band director who SLAUGHTERS Offspring songs mentioning Dexter. If they did the songs any resemblance of justice, it would be a different story, but what the USC band does is just plain insulting, not only as a musician and a person, but also as an Offspring fan.

Little_Miss_1565
11-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Slight reminder: The original intention of this thread had nothing to do with the personal conduct of the USC band or what the director of this band has to say about Dexter. It was about Dexter's inclusion in a video salute to said director.

I might add, regardless of one's personal opinion about the quality of the marching band arrangements, Dexter's being in the video (and, if I remember photos correctly, appearing with the band while this was their program) would seem to imply that he's not mad at it, so even if you are, that's cool and all but they're his songs, you know?

Outerspaceman21
11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, any band that massacres Offspring songs the way they do deserves absolutely no fucking respect whatsoever.

Also, quite off topic, but Imma be auditioning for the Cavaliers and Academy drum and bugle corps within the next few weeks. Wish me luck!

Wo, nice. I remember seeing the Cavaliers at the rose bowl show I went to. I'm a big fan of the the Cavaliers. They put on great shows. Good luck, bro.

Llamas
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Slight reminder: The original intention of this thread had nothing to do with the personal conduct of the USC band or what the director of this band has to say about Dexter. It was about Dexter's inclusion in a video salute to said director.
Tijs's initial post in the thread was about the USC band, not only specifically about Dexter. Anyway, a video was posted and we're talking about the video. If someone posted a song Dexter was featured in, would it be wrong for us to talk about any part of the song besides Dexter's part?

(and, if I remember photos correctly, appearing with the band while this was their program)
What do you mean by this? What was whose program? It's cool if Dexter is happy that anyone is playing his songs, but Dexter also probably doesn't know much about the band and is just happy to hear his songs. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it makes sense that people who actually know about it might have a different opinion.

Little_Miss_1565
11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Tijs's initial post in the thread was about the USC band, not only specifically about Dexter. Anyway, a video was posted and we're talking about the video. If someone posted a song Dexter was featured in, would it be wrong for us to talk about any part of the song besides Dexter's part?

Considering this is GOD, the entire reason it's not in GC is because Dexter's in it...

What do you mean by this? What was whose program? It's cool if Dexter is happy that anyone is playing his songs, but Dexter also probably doesn't know much about the band and is just happy to hear his songs. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it makes sense that people who actually know about it might have a different opinion.

While I'm sure Dexter would love to high-five you for your ringing endorsement of his intelligence, it's appropriate to offer your opinion on the quality of the arrangements but not to go on about them in, using Thomas's words, "an OT rant." Because, again, this is GOD.

For Real
11-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Did someone say God? lol ;)

Ah, it's nice to get away from that other forum... :p

...wow, a band instructor for 40 years! that's some longevity and dedication! congrats! :)

...and Dexter is still so cute... awwweee... love him dearly :D

Oxygene
11-24-2010, 06:13 AM
I just don't understand how people would get excited over a band director who SLAUGHTERS Offspring songs mentioning Dexter. If they did the songs any resemblance of justice, it would be a different story, but what the USC band does is just plain insulting, not only as a musician and a person, but also as an Offspring fan.

people are excited cause dexter is in a video..

MAXTER
11-24-2010, 06:24 AM
people are excited cause dexter is in a video..

I think the same... hahahaha :D

Tijs
11-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Tijs's initial post in the thread was about the USC band, not only specifically about Dexter. Anyway, a video was posted and we're talking about the video. If someone posted a song Dexter was featured in, would it be wrong for us to talk about any part of the song besides Dexter's part?I posted this because of what Oxy said, I was excited to see Dexter in this video. If he wasn't in there I never ever would have posted it.

However, when I posted it I was fully aware that it very well could end up in a discussion about the marching band itself or dr. Bartner himself, after all it is the video's topic.

Llamas
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I posted this because of what Oxy said, I was excited to see Dexter in this video. If he wasn't in there I never ever would have posted it.

However, when I posted it I was fully aware that it very well could end up in a discussion about the marching band itself or dr. Bartner himself, after all it is the video's topic.

Sure, that's what I figured. There's not much to comment on regarding Dexter, other than "hey, cool, it's Dexter". Doesn't seem it should be wrong to discuss other aspects of the video.

Tijs
11-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Can't say I disagree with that.

mrXniick
11-24-2010, 04:23 PM

I agree. Normally I think Littlemiss does a good job, and is unfairly criticized-- but in the past few threads she has been getting quite overbearing and controlling.

Oxygene
11-25-2010, 01:41 AM

well I do, acting like spoiled bitches is against the constitution... even if it's just slightly off topic.

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I agree. Normally I think Littlemiss does a good job, and is unfairly criticized-- but in the past few threads she has been getting quite overbearing and controlling.

Thanks, I think you're awesome, too.

Oxygene
11-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks, I think you're awesome, too.

You better get your shit together you know... I mean seeing as how long this dudes been around, and all the street cred.. you sure you wanna fuck with a made guy? His opinion counts..

Tijs
11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I didn't mean to start a flame war, regardless of someone's "street cred".

So can we please get back on topic now. Remember Dexter in the video, yay for that and all?