PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West and his new album

coke_a_holic
11-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Anyone listen to it yet? The title is thoroughly terrible (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy), but I have been really enjoying the two lead singles, Power and Monster. The other songs are also good, but those two are just incredible.

POWER (live on SNL): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e1B2YMQNlU

Monster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYDUHHOx4M

So yeah, I think he's really come back from.... the... issues he's had lately. This album is great.

Llamas
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I have the problem of not being able to disassociate art and personality - that is, I can't take art for what it is and ignore what kind of person the artist is. I often wish that I could, because there is so much amazing stuff out there made by huge douchebags.

So I listened to the first song you linked. I have no problem admitting that it's a good, solid song. A lot of what I've heard from Kanye implies that the man has talent. It's just such a shame that I can't stand him as a person. It interferes with my ability to enjoy his songs. I hope someday that'll change... it's something I've been working on.

Retard
11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Can't fuckin wait to pick this up friday..... pissed that i wasted all my money but watever. I'll get it. What I've heard is gold.... anyone else get any of the Good Friday downloads?

WebDudette
11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
I have the problem of not being able to disassociate art and personality - that is, I can't take art for what it is and ignore what kind of person the artist is. I often wish that I could, because there is so much amazing stuff out there made by huge douchebags.

Didn't you once mention that you'd liked a band even though the guy kidnapped and raped a girl or something like that? I could certainly be wrong, I just remember that story and I think it was you that mentioned it.

I like this album a lot, it's not Graduation, but it's a whole lot better than 808 and Heartbreak. I expect it to grow on me more. POWER and Monster are both really good, there is also a POWER remix that is really great.

TOO MANY URKELS ON YO' TEAM, THAT'S WHY YO' WINS LOW! is the best line since I'M LIKE A FLY MALCOLM X, BUY ANY JEANS NECESSARY!

JohnnyNemesis
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I can't take art for what it is and ignore what kind of person the artist is.

Don't you listen to Slipknot?

Little_Miss_1565
11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm kind of upset that Nicki Minaj's verse on "Monster" is better than anything on her album. But, at least it's better than almost anything ever.

But a big WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK to Bon Iver's appearances on this record.

Llamas -- that's why yo wins low. ;)

Retard
11-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Kanye liked his shit so he asked him to do some stuff with him... pretty cool if you ask me.

Llamas
11-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Didn't you once mention that you'd liked a band even though the guy kidnapped and raped a girl or something like that? I could certainly be wrong, I just remember that story and I think it was you that mentioned it.

That was static x, I believe, and the member who did that was kicked out of the band and went to jail. If I remember correctly, the rest of the band didn't know about it until he was caught. Had they known about it ahead of time, yes, I'd have a problem. However, a big difference is that I liked them a lot before it happened... knowing how big a douche someone is deters me from getting into them.

Don't you listen to Slipknot?

lol I passively liked a few of their songs. I haven't listened to them in years, and I don't know shit about what kinds of people they are. :P

Little_Miss_1565
11-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Kanye liked his shit so he asked him to do some stuff with him... pretty cool if you ask me.

It's theoretically cool...but the result rather blows. :(

Retard
11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
You didn't like Monster? that song is awesome!

coke_a_holic
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM
His parts are just so completely different from his solo stuff. It's bizarre. His role on Monster is okay, but Ye's and Minaj's verses steal the show. I liked his part in Lost In The World, though.

Llamas
11-26-2010, 12:13 PM
So I did some reading about West, and learned that he produces and writes his own music... not only just doing the lyrics/rapping. That's pretty intense. So I decided to start at the beginning, and I downloaded the College Dropout. I'll get back with my opinion if I move on to the new album. :)

Apathy
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I really like Monster. I think I listened to Power when it first dropped and not so much.

But I really liked the last several albums so I'll give it a chance.

Retard
11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Heard it once and a half at work today, pretty bomb.... listening to it again now. so far two songs into it is pretty badass.

WebDudette
11-27-2010, 01:02 AM
So I did some reading about West, and learned that he produces and writes his own music... not only just doing the lyrics/rapping. That's pretty intense. So I decided to start at the beginning, and I downloaded the College Dropout. I'll get back with my opinion if I move on to the new album. :)

I feel like he is a better producer than anything. He bring the perfect people together, has the best possible samples, and perfect beats.

JohnnyNemesis
11-27-2010, 01:33 AM

Sometimes I forget that some people don't know he was a producer for almost a decade before ever even trying to rap. I was a fan of his as a producer solely, then he started rapping, so I receive all his work in that context. He produced some of the fucking classics of hip hop before he started doing solo work, so my mind is kind of blown now realizing that not only do some people not know this already, but MANY people don't and you can't really blame them for that. Mind completely fuckin blown.

Llamas
11-27-2010, 07:10 AM
I actually knew he was a producer before he was a rapper, but I didn't realize he was so high profile. JN, what are your favorite songs he's produced?

Little_Miss_1565
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I actually knew he was a producer before he was a rapper, but I didn't realize he was so high profile. JN, what are your favorite songs he's produced?

While JN is thinking about what his favorites are, here is a complete list of his production credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

wheelchairman
11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Ah so when he says he's the voice of a generation, we're talking about people in their 30s and 40s.

/troll

Llamas
11-27-2010, 03:52 PM
While JN is thinking about what his favorites are, here is a complete list of his production credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

Way too long :P But thanks for the link

JohnnyNemesis
11-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Ooh, hard to choose. I think if I had to choose one, it would be his work on "Guess Who's Back" by Scarface. "In Cold Blood" is also good. The former features Jay-Z as well. Most of his work with Jigga is solid: "Heart of the City" from The Blueprint is brilliantly produced. Poppin' Tags off of Blueprint 2 is kind of a shitty song, but he did some good production on there too.

"Get By" by Talib Kweli is an amazing one. He uses some Nina Simone samples that are amaaaaazing. "Good To You" off that same album is my favorite Kweli/Kanye collaboration ever. "I Try" is another good one with those two.

"Down and Out" by Cam'ron = also good.

Finally, "This Way" by Dilated Peoples. Listen to it. Kanye destroyed the track before he even breathed on it. Absolutely gorgeous production.

Retard
11-28-2010, 10:14 PM
What I've heard of Kanye's production credits surprised me. I've heard more than I thought. Mostly cuz I didn't know he produced some stuff that I've heard. I know he did a few things on the black album, no clue he had done a song from Lupe Fiasco. That album is awesome.

Apathy
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok so I've been listening to the song Monster on youtube, at apparently a slightly faster pace than the real version is. I recently listened to the real (slowed down) version....and I have to say it's much worse. I don't think I like it anymore.

Retard
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
It's a good song, but its definitely one of the weaker songs on the album, Runaway is probably my favorite song, all nine minutes of it. All of the Lights is great, Rihana's voice in the chorus is just great. Dark Fantasy is a great opener, Blame Game is great. I think i'm gonna listen to it again right now actually.

WebDudette
12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Monster is one of my favorites, there is so much awesome stuff going on in that song.

Retard
12-05-2010, 12:12 AM
If I knew how to put a pussy in a sarcaphogis I'd totally do it.

I do really like Monster alot. But compared to a lot of the other ones on it its kinda meh, I had heard it out of context with everything else anyway so i couldve done it. G.O.O.D. Fridays are amazing.