PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for The Offspring to come to the BBS Podcast

Gustavo
12-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Since the Lightning Rod campaign was such a success ... we, the podcast team (Ad8, Blitz!, Homer & myself) have decided that the time has arrived to institute another campaign.

This time around, we would like the band members of the Offspring to come and be special guests on our podcast. For those of you who aren't familiar with the BBS Podcast, there have been seven episodes so far, one of which -- the Christmas/Yearcast episode -- has recently been released. We usually talk about what's going with the Offspring, and the forum activies, like the Your Band and General Chat sections. If you would like to check out the podcast threads, click here (http://www.offspring.com/forums/tags.php?tag=bbs+podcast).

We have attempted to contact the band directly and still continue to do so, however we have decided to open a thread and start a new campaign, and we'd like to have your support! We know that the band visits the forum, but if you can contact the band and tell them about the campaign, that would be appreciated. If you are unable to assist, please show your support by posting in this thread or elsewhere, that would be appreciated, too.

So, Dexter, Noodles, Greg and Pete, you are officially invited to take part in our podcast. We're looking forward to recording with you guys!

Jojan
12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Good luck with that.

Bejka
12-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Ooo, it would be great!!! Please, please, please, please do it for us :)

Greekoldfan
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
great idea!good luck!

DMelges
12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
That definetly would be awesome. Probably the first fans to ever accomplish such a thing. If this actually comes to happen, we gotta make a poll on which questions to ask, and they can't be dumb questions like 'where do you guys like to play live' and 'are you still punk?'. Gotta be some really interesting stuff.

Homer
12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
That definetly would be awesome. Probably the first fans to ever accomplish such a thing. If this actually comes to happen, we gotta make a poll on which questions to ask, and they can't be dumb questions like 'where do you guys like to play live' and 'are you still punk?'. Gotta be some really interesting stuff.

Don't worry, I know how to keep things interesting.

Free?
12-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Gustavo is the one who gets campaigns done. Serious business. /signed

ad8
12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
A new reason for Gus to call Loveline next time they're on ;)

Let's make this happen!

cool 2 hate 681
12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
i hope they don't go on loveline again that show is awful

Tijs
12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
i hope they don't go on loveline again that show is awfulAre you kidding me? That stuff is awkwardly funny as hell!

randman21
12-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I will destroy your face! That show is awesome. They've done it like, ten times, and that last one was just heaven. You had Loveline, Dr. Drew, Dexter, Noodles, and Gustavo all in one place. It's just all downhill from there...

unless you guys sit in at the BBS Podcast! That would be another high point. I'm fully behind this idea. DO IT!

cool 2 hate 681
12-29-2010, 07:20 PM
well i never liked the show i would much rather hear them on kevin and bean over loveline but more than anything i want to hear them on the bbs podcast;)

Ill.be.waiting.
01-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Great! You have my support :D. Gustavo you're awesome!! :)

dr.vanessa
01-02-2011, 06:46 AM
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You always have my support & especially on this!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

dff_punk
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Wow, how come I never stumbled across this before? This idea needs more attention now that the bands new year podcast has been released. Gustavo is da man, he can do it!

_Lost_
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I would totally be in on that one! Definitely need to get my computer back up and running so I can at least listen from the sidelines! HA!

Outerspaceman21
01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
The Ponce (aka me) is in total favor of this motion

*starts dancing*

carlosguto78
01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
One of greatest ideas since ipod...

Jojan
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
One of greatest ideas since ipod...

Ipod is an awful idea.

Leandro
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Gustavo, you're gonna go far, kid...

Jojan
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Gustavo, you're gonna go far, kid...

So's your face!

bouncingcoles
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM

you are a crack head. loveline is fucking great

cool 2 hate 681
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
i don't do drugs but i would probably have to be high on something for me to enjoy loveline

Homer
01-10-2011, 01:18 AM
thanks so much!

No problem, man.

Gustavo
01-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Now that Noodles has been more active on the BBS, I really think this campaign should gain more attention.

So, Noodles, what do you say you come to the BBS Podcast hang out with us one of these days? Not to mention that Carson (Homer) has promised to shave one part of his body if you do.

ad8
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Now that Noodles has been more active on the BBS, I really think this campaign should gain more attention.

So, Noodles, what do you say you come to the BBS Podcast hang out with us one of these days? Not to mention that Carson (Homer) has promised to shave one part of his body if you do.
Yes, that would be great! Aren't there more people interested in this world-changing event happening? ;)

Blitz!
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Aren't there more people interested in this world-changing event happening? ;)

Nope, we're just interested in listening to awesome songs ... naked :p

Gustavo
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
we're just interested in listening to awesome songs ... naked :p

That's interesting.

Leandro
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi, Noodles is online... =)

Please, talk to us if you can do this podcast...

You definitely should come to the BBS Podcast, that would be awesome! The fans would love that, I'm sure. Not to mention that Homer is funny as shit.

dr.vanessa
01-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Noodles you're my hero!!!!!!!!We're so happy to see you here!!!!!! Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaase come to the BBS Podcast:cool: We love you guys!!!!

Bejka
01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Kom 2 BBS PodKast

MAXTER
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Absolutely I support this campaign for evey single member's band to come the podcast.. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blitz!
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
That's interesting.

Interesting indeed :D

offsrx
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I support it! But Kinda still don't understand what would it look like that fan podcast? :/
Care to explain?
I've watched all offspring podcasts btw..

dff_punk
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Watched ?

gymcandy655d
01-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Please Explain something more about fan podcast, me too watched all offspring podcasts btw

ad8
01-19-2011, 02:21 AM
I support it! But Kinda still don't understand what would it look like that fan podcast? :/
Care to explain?
I've watched all offspring podcasts btw..

Well... we recorded an audio podcast, talking about the most recent forum activity and the what the band's been doing. Also, we have guests from the forums who we interview and Carson usually hurts himself towards the end of the podcast. It's fun!
You can find the latest podcast here:
http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=43133 (although this, the Christmas-podcast is a little different from usual episodes)
Here's the 6th one, which is more like a standard BBS Podcast: http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=42974&highlight=podcast
Enjoy!

randman21
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
So for those of you who weren't paying attention, yet ANOTHER Gustavo-started campaign has become a success. The man's a genius. If I ever run for President, I know who to call.

Oh, Caaaarsoooon. How's it going, brother? :D
*cough*

Gustavo
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Dammit! We forgot to mention that on the podcast. But I believe Mr. Mauthe is a man of his word, right?

Llamas
01-04-2013, 06:16 PM
So for those of you who weren't paying attention, yet ANOTHER Gustavo-started campaign has become a success. The man's a genius. If I ever run for President, I know who to call.
Wow, so this was all Gustavo, huh? Was it simply this thread that got it done, or how did the podcast folks get this to happen?

I went through this thread and really enjoyed these comments:

from Jojan's ultra positivity

Good luck with that.

to Free's spot-on Gustavo assessment.

Gustavo is the one who gets campaigns done. Serious business. /signed

And well, this I just read as "Korn" instead of "kom", and I was about to be all wtf?? Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good podcast with Korn?!

Kom 2 BBS PodKast

I love spam.This was just plain odd, though.

Please Explain something more about fan podcast, me too watched all offspring podcasts btw

SapoCocas
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Hey, Gustavo, can you get The Offspring to give a private concert at my house? If not, I'd also be satisfied if the private concert were to be in any other place.
If it's not asking too much, I'd also like Noodles' guitar, but signed, obviously.

Now seriously (unless you can really make it happen), kudos on that achievement and I can't wait to listen to the podcast!

Gustavo
01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Wow, so this was all Gustavo, huh? Was it simply this thread that got it done, or how did the podcast folks get this to happen?

Not really, I had a lot of help from my friends from the BBS Podcast. :)

I think it all started really when we started the campaign online with the Tweets and things like that, and then when The Offspring had that studio rehearsal show in Orange County my friend Sil called me from her phone and asked Dexter if he would talk to me on the phone for a second, he kindly said yes and I talked to him for a while and then asked him if he would like to participate on the BBS Podcast and he said yes right away and then our friends Tijs and Adrian got to talk to them not too long after that during the European Tour and they said they were down. It's been hard to record it logistically, but we never gave up so it finally worked out last week. Oh, and not to mention that when we interviewed Matt from Gringo Bandito, he said he would put in a good word for us.

It's just amazing how nice and down to earth these guys are, I've never heard of a mainstream band doing something like this before. I think we all chose our favorite band well, huh?

Hey, Gustavo, can you get The Offspring to give a private concert at my house? If not, I'd also be satisfied if the private concert were to be in any other place.
If it's not asking too much, I'd also like Noodles' guitar, but signed, obviously.

Now seriously (unless you can really make it happen), kudos on that achievement and I can't wait to listen to the podcast!

I'd love it if they played a private concert in my house too. haha But that isn't very likely, sorry. But we should definitely plan a show in Europe sometime to have the biggest BBS Meet of all time, how cool would that be?

And thank you! I appreciate that.

Noodles
01-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Gustavo. I was wondering how we got roped into it myself. It was fun, but next time we get to ask you guys a bunch of questions. Here's a sample question:

"What does the BBS mean to you today, and does it mean something different than it did 15 years ago?"

Seriously though, I think it would be great to get a bunch of BBS-ers in the same room with us, say after some show in Europe, and just record a real conversation. No hype or expectations. Just a few beers after a show. I know that a bunch of you have been in this situation with us and it might be fun for those who haven't to see how boring it really can be, just to let them know they're not really missing that much. After the show is over we become really boring people and I tend to go on drunken political rants like a crazy uncle at a holiday dinner. Those of you who know this can attest to it now.

Anyway, just a thought.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I still have yet to know exactly what BBS stands for and means. People say it, never explain it. I guess they think everyone knows what it means. I just thought it was what this forum is called.

cool 2 hate 681
01-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Gustavo. I was wondering how we got roped into it myself. It was fun, but next time we get to ask you guys a bunch of questions. Here's a sample question:

"What does the BBS mean to you today, and does it mean something different than it did 15 years ago?"

Seriously though, I think it would be great to get a bunch of BBS-ers in the same room with us, say after some show in Europe, and just record a real conversation. No hype or expectations. Just a few beers after a show. I know that a bunch of you have been in this situation with us and it might be fun for those who haven't to see how boring it really can be, just to let them know they're not really missing that much. After the show is over we become really boring people and I tend to go on drunken political rants like a crazy uncle at a holiday dinner. Those of you who know this can attest to it now.

Anyway, just a thought.

To me the BBS is a sense of community a place where I can go and talk to people about my favorite band :) the only difference now as compared to 10 years ago is I know some of the people that post here and have become friends with them

I still have yet to know exactly what BBS stands for and means. People say it, never explain it. I guess they think everyone knows what it means. I just thought it was what this forum is called.

It stands for bulletin board system I think? here is what this website looked like in 2001 http://web.archive.org/web/20010821022219/http://bbs.offspring.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-04-2013, 09:38 PM
It stands for bulletin board system I think? here is what this website looked like in 2001 http://web.archive.org/web/20010821022219/http://bbs.offspring.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Thanks, Mike. I can always count on you when it comes to shit I don't know that you do know.

cool 2 hate 681
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
no problem :)

_Lost_
01-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't think I'd ever really be able to put into words what the BBS means to me personally. It'd be some sort of rambling reply talking about non-Offspring music like the BBS Mixtape and driving to Nashville on a whim for the Shit is Fucked Up tour.

Nizz, maybe next time you are in NC you could show your NC mods a little love? Randman's stunned silence would be amusing enough to keep me entertained for weeks.

PS: Nizzy Doodles is a way better nickname.

Gustavo
01-05-2013, 09:07 AM
No problem, Noodles. Sure, we're ready to come to the Official Offspring Podcast whenever you are, as Carson said. haha

That would be great! Maybe during the next European tour, I was planning on going to Europe anyway, or here in South America at a beautiful beach with lots of sharks. Or maybe in 2014 in South Africa during your tour with the hologram of Tupak Shakur? And maybe then we could have some Greengo Bandito, too. I haven't been at that situation yet, but I would love to. I'm no political expert myself but after a few beers I can go on a few rants, too, I'm sure. Whether or not they'll make any sense remains a mystery, though.

And meanwhile, you guys are welcome to come back to the BBS Podcast anytime!

As _Lost_ said, it's hard to put into words what the BBS means to me, I've only been a member for about 6 years, but I've made a lot of friends on here who have become really important in my life.

Powerh
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
When they will put the f**king podcast ???

Oh, What I am thinking About The BBS ? Well, we have our french Offspring BBS we talked in since 2001 here !!
http://theoffspring-fr.zikforum.com/
The Offspring BBS for me it's not just talking about the band, their music and their concert (yes it's this most of that of course) but now the BBS it becomes more an "Offspring Spirit" or "Offspring mentality" making friendship having funny sarcastic jokes with good energy and respect. It's like a daily reunion with people who love the same good things as you and enjoy it.
IT's a also place to share our ideas about life (political things, sex, rock and philosofical discussion) and hard times of a life (death, daily problems, money, broke up, cd broken...) with the "Offspring Style" So I think it's better than to go to a therapy in the psychologist.
So The Offspring BBS is for me the world how has to be. Rock and Sweet.

Tijs
01-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I really like that idea, I'm sure we could set that up somehow. There's always a show or two where there will be at least 5 people from the BBS, and they tend to get to meet you guys backstage anyway.

We've got all the equipment to record it, just have to make sure there's a good supply of beer. I remember the backstage meeting in London ending abruptly when the last beer was taken out of the fridge, haha.

But sure, the band interviewing their fans would be very cool.

Greekoldfan
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
oh that sounds sooo nice cool and interesting!I like this idea :)

Blitz!
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
But I believe Mr. Mauthe is a man of his word, right?

Number #1 rule of the BBS, a source is required ... photographic evidence will suffice.

That would be great! Maybe during the next European, South America or maybe the 2014 South Africa tour.

I'm sure that Noodles will bus us all in

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Seeing all these members having been part of the BBS for so long, I feel I have no right to say what it means to me. I know it means more to me now than it did during the first month I was here. I feel more accepted, even though I've only been here for a few months. I'm even starting to make friends here and I'm learning certain members' basic personalities. I still have a long way to go, though.

_Lost_
01-05-2013, 06:05 PM
As _Lost_ said, it's hard to put into words what the BBS means to me, I've only been a member for about 6 years, but I've made a lot of friends on here who have become really important in my life.

Fuck! You've been here six years??? That means it has been 8 for me... geeze... Why don't I have a life yet?

randman21
01-06-2013, 04:03 AM

Okay, so I guess Gustavo's explanation was accurate. My love and admiration for him sometimes clouds reality. :o

And well, this I just read as "Korn" instead of "kom", and I was about to be all wtf?? Why would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good podcast with Korn?!
ME TOO. I can always count on you to misread the same things I do.

Anyway, just a thought.
I'm hoping to see you guys in Europe again this year! As awesome as it would be to take part in that, my social anxiety wouldn't allow it. So perhaps, I'd just sit in the corner, doing my patented pretend to be doing something important on my phone so I don't have to speak method. Hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I could teach Greg. Or maybe I could just have a few drinks and join the conversation (though this has failed me, several times).

Nizz, maybe next time you are in NC you could show your NC mods a little love? Randman's stunned silence would be amusing enough to keep me entertained for weeks.

Pfft, weeks. You still get a kick out of the first time, ALMOST FOUR YEARS AGO. :D

PS: Nizzy Doodles is a way better nickname.
Seconded. Sincerely glad that it stuck. Haha.

Equally stunned that you've been here for that long. How could I not know da man was here until a year later?

Since the question about what the BBS means wasn't serious, I won't really answer. Except to say, more than anyone could express with words.

Krojd
01-06-2013, 06:05 AM
After the show is over we become really boring people...

Naaah, I've met you guys once, after the Brussels Ignition show, and you were all super fun. Greg made a joke and I laughed with him for good 5 seconds. How often does he make a joke?! And do you remember giving me the beer before All I want?

ad8
01-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Anyway, just a thought.
Holy shit yes yes yes!! I think that avoiding the awkwardness of skype would probably make the podcast even more awesome.

I really like that idea, I'm sure we could set that up somehow. There's always a show or two where there will be at least 5 people from the BBS, and they tend to get to meet you guys backstage anyway.

We've got all the equipment to record it, just have to make sure there's a good supply of beer. I remember the backstage meeting in London ending abruptly when the last beer was taken out of the fridge, haha.

But sure, the band interviewing their fans would be very cool.
I call my place! :D
-In Europe (X)
-Recording equipment (X)
-Always (more than) enough beer in the fridge (X)

-Ignition-
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
But we should definitely plan a show in Europe sometime to have the biggest BBS Meet of all time, how cool would that be?

I would totally come to the biggest BBS Meet of all time! But I agree with Melyssa on not having been here for so long so the forums probably means more to some other people here, but still the band means the same to me. I will try to be more active so that I can earn my spot on the Meet of all time. I've been reading these forums since 1998 but I'm not writing much.

And if the band join in on a meet and greet I will probably join randman21 in the corner and

pretend to be doing something important on my phone so I don't have to speak

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-06-2013, 10:24 AM
So perhaps, I'd just sit in the corner, doing my patented pretend to be doing something important on my phone so I don't have to speak method. Hasn't failed me yet. Maybe I could teach Greg.

But Greg has already mastered this skill. Mykey told me that when he met Greg and Higgins, Greg was off to the side talking on his phone, and Higgins told him that Greg was in his own world.

_Lost_
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Pfft, weeks. You still get a kick out of the first time, ALMOST FOUR YEARS AGO. :D

Dexter: "Hey, that's a cool shirt. Retro..."
Randy: "...heh...heh....thanks... *stares at the floor*"

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Anyway, just a thought.

I just want to out myself for a second and say I was lucky enough to be a fly on the wall when Sil called Gustavo and it was adorable as all hell. I'm really happy for the BBS Podcast crew that this finally happened.

Bud, you wanna fly me to Europe for this chat? I think Oxy and I are the only ones left who have been here for 15 years. ;)

For real though, I can't believe it's been that long. I've had similar sorts of conversations like this with Dexter over the years, but basically, what keeps me coming back to the forum despite wanting to lock the doors from the outside and set the server on fire from time to time is the incredible numbers of friends I've made here over the years. Growing up in Indiana and listening to music that wasn't pop, country, or rap meant I had to go online to talk to people who listened to the same music. And even though I listen to totally different music now (with some exceptions...I mean, I do live in Orange County, after all), these are some of my longest friendships going. Which feels weird, but it's how it is.

What's even weirder is that this random website that I started posting on when I was 12 (fuck me, 16 years....) pretty much runs my life now for reasons you know. I still cannot believe that my relationship and where I live can be traced back to this place, and I am a little bit pissed off about that. ;) But, I'm hardly the only one. There have been multiple lasting international relationships that started here. This little corner of the internet is responsible for at least 3 immigrations to the US and Canada for marriage that I'm aware of and I'm sure several more that I don't know about. And then I have to remember the number of death threats and threats of violence and general harassment I've received over the years due to this place and remember that not everything here is awesome, but these are all things everyone knows already. A big part of why I wanted to be a civilian on the forum after being a moderator on and off for the last 10-12 years was to try to enjoy what's special about this place and to be able to selectively ignore what isn't (and, in equal parts, that I'm now a grumpy old woman). A lot of my old friends from this place stopped posting years ago but we still talk all the time, even more often than I get to talk to my oldest friend in real life. I am the first to point out how totally silly this is, but there it is.

Tijs
01-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Dexter: "Hey, that's a cool shirt. Retro..."
Randy: "...heh...heh....thanks... *stares at the floor*"

Ha, Randy's shyness is awesome. After the concert in Paris we went drinking in the park. Randy pretty much didn't say anything, and then went to try and climb stuff.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/298162_275081592519684_5406726_n.jpg

US, Germany, Italy/Poland, Hungary, the Netherlands, Poland and Finland right there.

Llamas
01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm definitely coming to this Europe show to hang out and drink beer and talk politics with Noodles and BBSers - just make sure it's at a time when I can afford it! :D

SapoCocas
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Ha, Randy's shyness is awesome. After the concert in Paris we went drinking in the park. Randy pretty much didn't say anything, and then went to try and climb stuff.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/298162_275081592519684_5406726_n.jpg

US, Germany, Italy/Poland, Hungary, the Netherlands, Poland and Finland right there.
Awsome! And the EU flag on the back makes it really iconic.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you're the second from left to right of the front row. :D

Tijs
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Haha, good guess.

StayInTheHouseCarl
01-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Bud, you wanna fly me to Europe for this chat? I think Oxy and I are the only ones left who have been here for 15 years. ;)

Damn just realized its been about 10 years for me. As the philosopher Keanu Reeves said..."Woah"

momo91
01-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Anyway, just a thought.

I consider the bbs a lovely little place where I can share with other people all over the world my biggest passion: The Offspring!

I'm here since 2009 so I'm pretty new...but I really feel part of the comunity especially after having met some guys of the bbs before the Ignition show in Bruxelles, one of the best day of my life ended with a fast meeting with you Noodles, Dexter, Greg and Pete!

So, of course, I love this idea of the podcast and really hope to be able to be part of it but... beside that I thing we should organize a bbs reunion during the next European tour, that I really hope will happen this summer!

Jojan
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Seriously though, I think it would be great to get a bunch of BBS-ers in the same room with us, say after some show in Europe, and just record a real conversation.

I will be there for you (or Greg) whenever you (or Greg) need me.

"Melyssa K" Kennedy
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I will be there for you (or Greg) whenever you (or Greg) need me.

That's so poetic. You should write a song about it.

As much as being part of a BBS podcast sounds like an amazingly fun time, I don't feel I've earned the right to be there. Also, travel would be killer!

RageAndLov
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
This sounds fun. Somewhere in Europe is affordable for me to fly to, as long as it's not in May or June when I am poor as fuck.

Homer
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Hot damn I've been here for over 8 years, now. Who would've thunk that I'd still be listening to these guys and participating within their community since then? Or maybe it was that participation that kept me active... philosophy, man.

But yeah I totally can't remember what the whole 'me shaving a part of my body' is about.