PDA

View Full Version : Is The Offspring childish??

Lord Phidias
01-07-2011, 04:06 AM
The other day I started to think about this, because lately (and some years ago) when I meet someone and chit-chat for a while and we come to the topic of music and I say that The Offspring is my favorite band, the other person responds: "Really?? Well, I liked them when I was in junior high...". A lot of people has answered this same sentence in the past, and it actually pisses me off a bit, I mean, most of Dex's lyrics are great and some are quite deep and mature, and I assume those people who enjoyed TO back then when they were kids obviously havenīt heard songs like Session, Gone Away, you name it! But it got me thinking, is it the tunes? The chord progression? Dexter's tone? The lyrics (some of them)? The guitar riffs? Dexter's spiky hair? Why would some people despise The Offspring like that? :confused:

Lord_Gabo
01-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Maybe for their "poor" punk rock sound in 90's style, I'd like the next album was more studied, even with new instruments and arrangements. I do not mean that punk rock stew me, but the offspring have always sought new ways, I'd like a work that made feel the true potential of our favorite band and made shut up the "uninitiated" ;)

ad8
01-07-2011, 04:21 AM
The other day I started to think about this, because lately (and some years ago) when I meet someone and chit-chat for a while and we come to the topic of music and I say that The Offspring is my favorite band, the other person responds: "Really?? Well, I liked them when I was in junior high...". A lot of people has answered this same sentence in the past, and it actually pisses me off a bit, I mean, most of Dex's lyrics are great and some are quite deep and mature, and I assume those people who enjoyed TO back then when they were kids obviously havenīt heard songs like Session, Gone Away, you name it! But it got me thinking, is it the tunes? The chord progression? Dexter's tone? The lyrics (some of them)? The guitar riffs? Dexter's spiky hair? Why would some people despise The Offspring like that? :confused:
I think you are right when you assume that these are people who haven't listened to the majority of Offspring songs. Maybe they just heard Why Don't You Get A Job or Pretty Fly on the radio and thought that the songs were cool, but then later found out that they were "childish". I would find it hard to call the Offsprings music childish considering the whole spectrum of lyrics the band released.

PAC90
01-07-2011, 06:01 AM
It might also have to do with the height of their popularity being in the 90's i mean i have some friends who say they listened to the offspring when they were younger but its also because they were on the radio a lot and my friends stoped keeping up with them as soon as they left the radio.

Jojan
01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Dexter, Noodles and Pete are childish. Greg is mature.

Tijs
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Dexter, Noodles and Pete are childish. Greg is mature.Greg is rated NC-17, that's different.

WebDudette
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I stopped listening to them early into high school. I don't know about childish, but lyrically they can be embarrassingly cliche and the music just bores me. I am very familiar with their entire discography.

Broke my arm, might say offspring is my favorite bands, etc.

How exactly do you turn 'I liked them in junior high...' to 'they are childish and I despise them'? There are a lot of bands I liked in junior high and high school that I either got tired of or just stopped liking, but it'd didn't have anything to do with their 'maturity' and it doesn't mean I despise them.

Free?
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Despising a band that you loved before usually comes with realizing that your idols fed you with bullshit (everyone have their own standards and criterions). If you just lost interest, then the band is not that bad.

Not talking about The Offspring here, of course.

jacknife737
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
It might also have to do with the height of their popularity being in the 90's i mean i have some friends who say they listened to the offspring when they were younger but its also because they were on the radio a lot and my friends stoped keeping up with them as soon as they left the radio.

Yeah, i think this has a lot to do with it.

They were incredibly popular during the mid 90s, then people who were teens and watched mtv/listened to alt rock radio just got older and their musical tastes changed. I know there are a lot of bands that i used to like from the late 90s that i don't listen to anymore, though the Offspring clearly isn't one of them.

Lord Phidias
01-11-2011, 02:14 AM
I stopped listening to them early into high school. I don't know about childish, but lyrically they can be embarrassingly cliche and the music just bores me. I am very familiar with their entire discography.

Broke my arm, might say offspring is my favorite bands, etc.

How exactly do you turn 'I liked them in junior high...' to 'they are childish and I despise them'? There are a lot of bands I liked in junior high and high school that I either got tired of or just stopped liking, but it'd didn't have anything to do with their 'maturity' and it doesn't mean I despise them.

ok, i dont desīpise them at all or stopped liking them, ,the off are my favourite vande, more than rammstein, or metallcia od bon jovi, or nickelback, which oi love and enjoy al lot, now dnot get me wrong, i jyust dont like other people looking at me and thinking that i am naive and stupidbecause TO are my facourite badn ant they liked them when they were stupid kids and dont like them anymore becasue of the catchy tunes of the 9ties... fuc, im druynk, i think im gonna post something on the -fr those who are drunk post here-+++ thread, yay!!! its 3 am in the morninf

Tijs
01-11-2011, 06:07 AM
I was thinking to myself what is wrong with you when I read your post, but then I read this:

fuc, im druynk

Carry on :)

ThunderPX
01-11-2011, 06:09 AM
"Vande" is a pretty cool-sounding word.

Noodles
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
We were going for "Childlike." Sorry if it came out wrong.

weezly
01-15-2011, 01:35 AM
hello noodles, on behalf of new zealand i would like to say your music, did/does/will always rock, now book your plane tickets and come play a show!!

ad8
01-15-2011, 04:01 AM
You're right, they are an old band but they got a new album! :]

Here's the link for the concert listings.

Nope, those are links for hair style sites. But since this is the childish forum of a childlike band, nobody's going to have a problem with that:rolleyes:

Lord Phidias
01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
OMG Noodles replied to my thread! I think that made my week... but anyways, I think I was mistaken, I DO NOT think at all that The Offspring is childish (or childlike as Noodles claimed, lol), Dex is my favorite lyricist and songwriter ever, and I think that will never change, I was just ranting because some dudes and dudettes have claimed so in the past, without knowing about deeper songs than why don't you get a job? But that's other thing I love about them, their capability to create enjoyable silly and fun songs :D
Ok Noodles, now, when will you guys will come to Mexico?? Just for the food, man...

nancyoff
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
OMG Noodles replied to my thread! I think that made my week... but anyways, I think I was mistaken, I DO NOT think at all that The Offspring is childish (or childlike as Noodles claimed, lol), Dex is my favorite lyricist and songwriter ever, and I think that will never change, I was just ranting because some dudes and dudettes have claimed so in the past, without knowing about deeper songs than why don't you get a job? But that's other thing I love about them, their capability to create enjoyable silly and fun songs :D
Ok Noodles, now, when will you guys will come to Mexico?? Just for the food, man...

where???:eek:

Bejka
01-22-2011, 03:51 AM
I've heard there will be a brand new Offspring tv show on Disney Channel :D They will dance and sing together with children who look and act like adults.

Lord Phidias
01-23-2011, 11:15 PM
where???:eek:

WhaaaAAaAAaaAAAAt???