PDA

View Full Version : Influences from outside the US-culture...

Mucho Macho
01-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Throughout their albums, The Offspring sometimes used elements from other countries/continents outside the USA in their songs. (Mexican stuff, Eastern stuff... in songs like Pay The Man, Come Out And Play, Pretty Fly (Americana-ending)...) Do you know any other songs where they used stuff like that, and do you like it? And would you like it if they would do this on the new record as well? And which elements would you find cool if they used it? Elements from Africa? Australia? South America? Japan?...
Discuss...
Greetings!

Jojan
01-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Baghdad, Take It Like a Man, Me & My Old Lady. The Blurb, Tehran and When You're In Prision I suppose.

jsmak84
01-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Nice this post, very interesting :) I'd really like if they used the sound even more tribal influences and continue on line oriental already heard in previous albums.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Carino questo post, molto interessante :) a me piacerebbe molto se usassero influenze magari dal sound pił tribale e continuassero sulla line orientaleggiante gią ascoltata nei dischi precedenti.

Blitz!
01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
There is 'Trust In You' with the lyric Quo Modo, which is Latin, comes from Indo-European origin, so I suppose it applies to this thread.

Tijs
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Well that Special Delivery thing sound African, although The Offspring borrowed the same from a different artist. I'd hardly call it an African influence though.

brothadave79
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Latin, comes from Germanic origin

. . . . what?

brothadave79
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Actually, this thread makes me wonder where they first got the influences to put Mid-East kind of riffs into their songs. I mean, the Latin/Mexican influence is clear. Living in S. California, Dexter has said that he's always enjoyed Mexican culture, hence the Dia de los Muertos decorations and Gringo Bandito. But it would be cool to hear him explain how they first got into doing stuff with a "Middle Eastern" style to it, probably first from Baghdad, through Come out and Play, and up to Pay the Man (although that may be more Indian?). After that, the Eastern influences have kind of fallen off, and I wonder if that was a conscious thing or not.

Oxygene
01-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Actually, this thread makes me wonder where they first got the influences to put Mid-East kind of riffs into their songs. I mean, the Latin/Mexican influence is clear. Living in S. California, Dexter has said that he's always enjoyed Mexican culture, hence the Dia de los Muertos decorations and Gringo Bandito. But it would be cool to hear him explain how they first got into doing stuff with a "Middle Eastern" style to it, probably first from Baghdad, through Come out and Play, and up to Pay the Man (although that may be more Indian?). After that, the Eastern influences have kind of fallen off, and I wonder if that was a conscious thing or not.

That's actually a good question... I am going to ask that next time I meet him if I don't forget.

brothadave79
01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Also, they've done some Hawaiian-inspired work (if you count that culture as not American) on Da Hui and that Hawaiian version of TKAA. For some reason that version always sounded really sad to me.

brothadave79
01-31-2011, 10:30 AM
That's actually a good question... I am going to ask that next time I meet him if I don't forget.

For sure, let us know what he says. :)

Blitz!
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Latin, comes from Indo-European origin

. . . . what?

Fixed .

offsrx
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Also, they've done some Hawaiian-inspired work (if you count that culture as not American) on Da Hui and that Hawaiian version of TKAA. For some reason that version always sounded really sad to me.

To me too. But I guess that that is because TKAA actually is a sad song, covered with anger and more some feelings. If you hear string quartet version of tkaa, it also sounds sad. Wiseguys version too. Only bluegrass version does not sound sad :P