PDA

View Full Version : Everclear song 'Everything to Everyone'

yarock
02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Its bass line is very similar to Self Esteem and another similarity is both songs' lyrics are cynical. But this song's are written in second-person instead of Self Esteem. I just wanted you to know.

wheelchairman
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Lately I've been finding it amusing how recognizably 90s the music I grew up (and listen to) is.

Perhaps it was because it was all I listened to back then (thus meaning its put more into perspective) or perhaps enough time has passed.

I listened to Electric Uncle Sam recently and was kinda amused at how Smashing Pumpkins-y it sounds, never made that connection before.

Omni
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah, it's weird how little rock music evolved from the '90s until the end of the '00s, yet you can always tell a '90s song from a '00s song.

The exception being the rise of indie and garage rock, of course. Bands like the Hives or the White Stripes are obviously of a different decade, but that didn't really seem like the "next big thing" that grunge or hair metal was. It's mainstream popularity was kind of limited. Of the mainstream bands, I don't notice much of a difference.

Which reminds me. We're two years into this decade. It seems like the next big mainstream behemoth bands that will change the landscape of rock music should be hitting pretty soon.

Paint_It_Black
03-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Eww, yarock, you listen to Everclear? Let me guess, "it was a one time special"?

What are all you other pussies doing acting so tolerant about this?

yarock
03-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Dude, I even listen to Marcy Playground.

wheelchairman
03-04-2011, 04:23 AM
I'd believe you if you could spell that right.

Omni, I'd argue that it's too recently the 2010's to see a recognizable 00s sound. I mean when the 90s ended it wasn't like the 00s were vastly different, but that also might be because the next big sound hadn't come along and put it into perspective.

Llamas
03-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Wow, what a stupid thread. The songs are in the same key and use the same chord progression (like hundreds of other songs). The basslines are pretty simplistic, and therefore are pretty similar. They're not the same, though, and simple basslines like those often repeat and get reused. Useless thread.

yarock
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I really wonder how do you quantify the weighted indexes of threads, enlighten me llamas. It's a cheesy thread, but how one key get used in so many songs is what it's least about.

Llamas
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
how one key get used in so many songs

Do you know how many keys there are? There are exactly 24. And within those 24 keys, there are only about 10 common chord progressions. How many songs have been written? You tell me how one key can get used in so many songs when there are only 24 to choose from.

yarock
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
My knowledge is very limited about keys, chords, etc. But this isn't what this is about.

wheelchairman
03-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Anyways I always thought Come As You Are and that one song on ignition sounded really similar. Dirty Magic maybe?

I just played half the songs from ignition in order to find out what I was so certain of when I was 13. So either the song I'm thinking of is on the other half of the album, or its probably Dirty Magic and they aren't as alike as I thought, though pretty similar in the beginning.

Come As You Are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o)
Dirty Magic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZX7cWu8Npo)

Outerspaceman21
03-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I just wanted you to know.

Thank you?