PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Magic (re-record)

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
02-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Hey all,

So I know this is an old topic... but I couldn't be bothered searching for all the old threads just to bump.

Is it just me, or does it seem unlikely we'll ever hear the re-recording of Dirty Magic?

Don't get me wrong, I love the "old" version, and acoustic version - but it'd be interesting to hear the difference!

Spycil
02-16-2011, 04:36 AM
A re-recording would be cool. I always felt for one the guitar drowned out the lyrics (and I doubt I'm the only person to think that).

I can live with the current version as it's still awesome but yeah. I'd like to hear a re-recorded version at some point.

Greekoldfan
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Re-recording of dirty magic has been done with Atom Willard on drums when he was still in the band..So probably they have to re-re-record it with pete or josh to be able to release it...

cool 2 hate 681
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
i wish dexter would explain whatever happened to the 2005 re-recording and why they can't/or won't release it

jacknife737
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm very interested in hearing the new version; i hope the band gets around to releasing it at some point.

Re-recording of dirty magic has been done with Atom Willard on drums when he was still in the band..So probably they have to re-re-record it with pete or josh to be able to release it...

From a legal perspective, I doubt Atom would hold the power to veto its release, even though he's not int he band anymore.

cool 2 hate 681
02-16-2011, 09:58 PM
From a legal perspective, I doubt Atom would hold the power to veto its release, even though he's not in the band anymore.

plus i don't see any reason why he would want to i don't think he has any bitter feelings toward dexter noodles or greg k

Tijs
02-17-2011, 04:52 AM
If it's like Beheaded '99, it probably sucks, but surprise me if you can. We will probably hear on some b-sides collection. Just finish Pass Me By, that's more important.Dude what are you talking about? Beheaded '99 sounded awesome! Pass Me By has so little meaning to it, hardly no meaning at all. No one even knows for sure if the few seconds we heard is even really "Pass Me By". And other than that, that's all there is.

jacknife737
02-17-2011, 11:58 AM
plus i don't see any reason why he would want to i don't think he has any bitter feelings toward dexter noodles or greg k

Exactly; he seemed to leave the band on good terms.

Supa
02-17-2011, 12:42 PM
There's also a punk recording of Ring Of Fire that Dexter did. And Hey Joe in Spanish.

sebastienfan
02-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06

The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums...I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

sebastienfan
02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
(04/02/03) Dexter talks about the New Album [Part 2]

[Plays new song]

[D]: Kind of a slow rock song that kind of like…well, I like it a lot. I‘ve called it ‘Pass Me By‘. I don‘t know what it‘s going to be about. You got 5 minutes? [laughs

BigFish
02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
(04/02/03) Dexter talks about the New Album [Part 2]

[Plays new song]

[D]: Kind of a slow rock song that kind of like…well, I like it a lot. I‘ve called it ‘Pass Me By‘. I don‘t know what it‘s going to be about. You got 5 minutes? [laughs

Was this a video or audio clip? If so where can I listen to it?

Jojan
02-20-2011, 04:05 AM
Was this a video or audio clip? If so where can I listen to it?

Internet, bitch. Learn how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=offspring+pass+me+by

BigFish
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Internet, bitch. Learn how to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=offspring+pass+me+by

I've heard what is supposedly Pass Me By but I was asking about the entire thing where Dexter is actually talking about it, dick.

dff_punk
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I remember that interview, it was just a text/written one. There was no video or audio of that published whatsoever.

Supa
02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I've saved all of the times that the band has talked about new songs, demo songs, song changes, etc. Here it is:

It's All Good
"Right now we're working on a new batch of songs..they're all in different stages, some are just started and some are nearly finished. The only song title I have right now is one called 'It's All Good'..will it make the record? Who knows! We are going in the studio today, everyday for the next two weeks..we're going to try to get something new finished and ready to play live on tour this summer..we'll keep you posted!"

http://offspring.com/community/showpost.php?p=1402084&postcount=531

Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom
"Q: And that riff during the instrumental section that repeats while the chords change behind it - where would that type of orchestration come from?

A: That was definitely something that got worked in the studio because it had a totally different verse. It had this really heavy, dark, menacing bass driven verse and Dexter and Bob felt that it just wasn’t working. I really loved it because it was a huge contrast between the verse and chorus. I felt it worked together but they weren’t feeling it. After a little while it was, “Nah, this isn’t working” and then it really got reworked. They were right, it did come out a little better. You never know with these things. Another one where I lost that vote but I like the song, it really started to grow on me once they changed it.

Sometimes I’ll hear something and I’ll have a hard time letting go of the way I originally heard it. Sometimes I just have a block there"

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/offsprings_noodles_i_dont_care_to_argue_how_punk_i _am.html

Hey Joe (Spanish)
"We used to cover "Hey Joe" and Dexter always sang the lyrics in Spanish. I'm sure I have a tape of that somewhere. "

http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?p=342652#post342652

Defy You
"[WD]: [lauging] Yeah, I don‘t think a lot of people were aware that ‘Defy You‘ was originally called ‘Meathead‘s Lament‘.

[D]: [laughs] Oh yeah, that‘s right. That song was kind of a heavy, almost metal song so that‘s what we came up with. You know, since I write lyrics after the music‘s written there are always working titles and don‘t end up being the actual title and have nothing to do with the song. "

Pass Me By
"Got Some New Stuff (Dexter)
08/18/06
Trivia for you guys…there was one outtake from Splinter. It was called ‘Pass Me By‘. We really liked it, and all, it was sort of heavy and we just decided to hold off on releasing it. So take that one straight to the BBS!"

Dirty Magic
"Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06
The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…"

Hmm, can't seem to find the Ring Of Fire one...

BigFish
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I remember that interview, it was just a text/written one. There was no video or audio of that published whatsoever.

Thanks. That was what I was wondering. :)