PDA

View Full Version : Live guitar tabs

mrconeman
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
I know the band play their songs like a tone up or down or something live so the songs are slightly different from the album version, and I wana be able to play along to some of their live stuff, so so what do i do? play everything a fret lower or higher or what?

Faded Soul
10-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I think I read somewhere that they use a dropped D tuning.

Heat
10-27-2004, 11:48 AM
they play their most concerts with down towned guitars and sometimes a little solo more, but very often its all the same

Dexter1989
10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
turn ur guitar to Eb:
Eb
Bb
Gb
Db
Ab
Eb

thats it, all offspring songs are tunned half a step down

Fej87
10-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Half Step Down...so if you play a note...it sounds like your playing it 1 fret down from where your really playing it. SO if you wanna play live offspring songs with a normal tuned guitar, just play 1 fret lower.

Dantai
10-27-2004, 03:46 PM
basically sum times dexter cant sing that high or what ever so they play in a differnt key :) i noticed that 2 i was playing along with the live album and i wasl ike .... hold up there playing it wrong fuck you guys! lol

No Brakes Boy
10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
basically sum times dexter cant sing that high or what ever so they play in a differnt key :) i noticed that 2 i was playing along with the live album and i wasl ike .... hold up there playing it wrong fuck you guys! lol

Live album?

Dantai
10-28-2004, 10:41 AM
i bought a boot leg lol

offspring live in mancherster 2001 .... dunno why i got it but it was kool lol

Left Face Down
10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
With the hours of Live video I have of The Offspring, and the concert I have atteneded of their's (I want to go to Holiday Havoc but can't) I have never really noticed this at all with any song.

I think you're all insane, though it is a possibility that they'd alt-tune if Dex can't sing as high, though he tends to just try and end up sounding like he's dieing.

P.S.- not every song by The Offspring is in Standard E just so you know, if you didn't.

mrconeman
10-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeah I know they arent all standard but ones that I know are like self esteem and playing along to the album my guitaring sounds fine but playing against some of their live tracks i sound out of tune so they are playing different from the record

Left Face Down
10-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Yeah I know they arent all standard but ones that I know are like self esteem and playing along to the album my guitaring sounds fine but playing against some of their live tracks i sound out of tune so they are playing different from the record

Well, I have a live videos of Self Esteem, and a live recording, and I play along with them and it sounds fine. Seeing you mentioned that particular song, actually playing them together, as close as I can (the live video and the cd recording) they sound the same to me.

All I know is they like to play the live songs faster than on the record, which is true seeing I get the music pretty dead on sinked up and then the live recording slowly drifts ahead.

P.S.- Dexter does drop the higher notes down though, though like at woodstock '94 his voice died out on him on "Why Don't You Get A Job" if I remember correctly.

Dexter1989
10-28-2004, 04:15 PM
With the hours of Live video I have of The Offspring, and the concert I have atteneded of their's (I want to go to Holiday Havoc but can't) I have never really noticed this at all with any song.

I think you're all insane, though it is a possibility that they'd alt-tune if Dex can't sing as high, though he tends to just try and end up sounding like he's dieing.

P.S.- not every song by The Offspring is in Standard E just so you know, if you didn't.
we are not insane, u r wrong
songs that arent Standart tunning (E)
Living In Chaos (Eb)
Lightning Rod (Eb)

n yes, they tune the guitars down cuz dexter cant sing those tones, his voice is cool, but poor

Funky-Munky
10-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Cool thnx i was wondering how to do that

SeanAshmore
10-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Every live track i've heard by the offspring has been half a step down. And everythings easier to sing at their concerts so im guessing their doing the same at the ones ive been too.

It's no big deal, Dexter has to sing full sets for months of touring, it just stops him damaging himself. Sometimes tuning down half step can make songs sound rockier as well.

Left Face Down
10-29-2004, 01:37 AM
we are not insane, u r wrong
songs that arent Standart tunning (E)
Living In Chaos (Eb)
Lightning Rod (Eb)

n yes, they tune the guitars down cuz dexter cant sing those tones, his voice is cool, but poor

If I remember correctly, those are normally half a step down. As I said, now every Offspring song ISN'T in standard E. I have the tab books for the cds, and I know Lightning Rod is Eb in the book, and I'm pretty damn sure LIC is too. Just to say this, I know Neocon is half a step down too.

P.S.- we're talking about songs in DIFFERENT tunings than on the cd.

Dexter1989
10-29-2004, 06:35 PM
If I remember correctly, those are normally half a step down. As I said, now every Offspring song ISN'T in standard E. I have the tab books for the cds, and I know Lightning Rod is Eb in the book, and I'm pretty damn sure LIC is too. Just to say this, I know Neocon is half a step down too.

P.S.- we're talking about songs in DIFFERENT tunings than on the cd.
i have seen some of those tab books, i dont think they are pretty accurate. Some of the tunnings ive seen are useless n nonsence in the tab books. All songs are in E, except the ones mentioned before, imo

Left Face Down
10-29-2004, 11:29 PM
i have seen some of those tab books, i dont think they are pretty accurate. Some of the tunnings ive seen are useless n nonsence in the tab books. All songs are in E, except the ones mentioned before, imo

I dunno, watching there live set you can tell which guitars Noodles uses for downtuning, his black one, not to mention I've noticed the songs that are downtuned tend to only have Noodles playing, not Dexter. Which I could accuratly guess is the one that has the Super Distortion in the bridge instead of the Tone Zone.

Damn I wish Noodles or some one would confirm all this knowledge I know, but I don't.