PDA

View Full Version : Key change trouble.

T-6005
03-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey dudes. I was working on a piece of music today - acoustic guitar and voice only so far - and I found myself working fairly hard on two parts of the song that I really need/want to be connected, but I just couldn't get the connection right.

Here's the basic chord progression, where each chord is played for two 4-beat measures.
Gm-Dm-A7-Bm-Bm-F#7-D-Bm

(Fingerings are at the bottom in the quote if you're not sure for some of these.)

The problem I'm having is that this is a repeated progression - when I end on B minor, I'm looking to switch back to Gm, which is just a horrible transition. I can't get my head around it, and I don't want to simply break from the song structure to excuse the change.

I've really got three options that I've managed to work out so far.
1) Jump straight from Bm to Gm. Ignore the jarring.
2) Resolve to D or even D7 instead of Bm. This makes the transition palatable but goes against the tone of the song as well as giving me two measures of D and placing an emphasis where there is none.
3) This is the only one I've thought of that works in any regard. After the final Bm, I take a breather measure and move to Csus2, moving the note off the Bm and onto a different root while conserving a little continuity by turning the D from a minor third in the chord Bm to a major second in Csus2 and then a perfect fifth in Gm.

I really feel like there's another way out of that. Any other suggestions?

Chord fingerings for those who want it (capo is on the 2nd fret, but that fret is still marked as 2 and not 0. It also means that a lot of these are written as bar chords.):

Fm:
e-3
B-3
G-3
D-5
A-5
E-3

Dm:
e-5
B-6
G-7
D-7
A-5
E-x

A7:
e-5
B-5
G-6
D-5
A-7
E-5

Bm:
e-2
B-3
G-4
D-4
A-2
E-x

F#7:
e-2
B-2
G-3
D-2
A-4
E-2

D:
e-2
B-3
G-2
D-4
A-5
E-x

Csus2:
e-3
B-3
G-5
D-5
A-3
E-3

Omni
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
After the final Bm, I take a breather

I don't know anything about music, I just wanted to quote this.

Sorry for wasting your time, but not really.

T-6005
03-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't know anything about music, I just wanted to quote this.

Sorry for wasting your time, but not really.

It's cool, I thought of it as I wrote it. We all like to do it. It's just a good moment, all in all.

But you couldn't even give me a #1 as a transition?

NEED HELP GUYS

coke_a_holic
03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
What sort of style are you going for with it? If it's at all rock-like, you could play with some chromaticism on the way down, going from Bm to BbM (or BbM7) and then back to Gm.

However, if you're looking for something more somber, maybe try an A on the way back down. Not for a whole measure or anything, just like the last half of the last measure or even the last note of it.