PDA

View Full Version : How do you listen to your music?

Jakebert
04-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure what forum this belongs in, but I'm going to put it here.

Anyway, what medium of music do you prefer the most? For me personally, I use my iPod the most, with a really nice Memorex speaker system that I got for Christmas 2 years ago.

I also have been really getting into collecting vinyl records over the last year or so. I have a collection of around 30 records. I do listen to these quite a bit, especially since I just bought a nice, but small, record player that's in better shape than the used one I had for a while. I really love collecting vinyl and shopping for it, which draws me to it more than the records themselves.

I still have a pretty massive CD collection, but I don't listen to it as much as I'd life since I have copies of all of those albums on my computer, iPod, or vinyl. But I still have a really big weak spot for CD's since I grew up in the last group of people for whom CD's were the main source of music up until the time I was around 18. I've considered selling my CD collection, but at the same time, it's kind of this weird link to my childhood/teenage years.

cool 2 hate 681
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
i usually listen to music on my computer with last fm and cd's when im in the car

also i have also been getting into collecting vinyl lately and i have about 15 records but i don't have a good record player at the moment so it is not as enjoyable as it could be

Retard
04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Dont sell your CDs man. What happens if your computer freaks and you lose everything. You might think you'll find everything that you had at one point will be on the internet. It might not be. I've looked for a shit load of things on there, can never find em. I usually listen to cds when i'm home, vinyl occasionally but only if i make a special effort to put something on. My computer speakers aren't very big, i don't wanna ruin them and blow them out if i have the computer up loud. The CD player is made for loud music.

Outerspaceman21
04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
My ipod mostly. I don't listen to music in my car because A) CD player don't work B) No iPod jack and C) Really shitty radio reception, so I drive in silence. I do have a lot of vinyls and a record player, but no speakers to plug them in. I want to buy speakers one of these days and play them.

WebDudette
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Dont sell your CDs man. What happens if your computer freaks and you lose everything. You might think you'll find everything that you had at one point will be on the internet. It might not be. I've looked for a shit load of things on there, can never find em.

It's out there somewhere, you just aren't looking in the right place. Besides, he can back it all up.

Anyway, I listen on my iPod and on my computer. I've bought a few cd's but I always lose the cd, lose the case, lose a booklet, the case gets wrecked, or the cd gets wrecked. I've now started buying vinyl's, I only have a handful, but I plan on buy a lot more. They are better than cd's in almost every single way, you even get an mp3 download with most new vinyls now days.

I don't have a record player right now, and I haven't decided if I want to get one or not. I mean, I probably will somewhere down the line, but I'm in no hurry.

I bought this today: Touche Amore - Demo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item230f872e56&item=150584372822&nma=true&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&rt=nc&si=mCGGAB4q3wBr0WipLZJpbyz4WiE%253D)

RageAndLov
04-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Mostly vinyl or my mp3-player with my CD music on when I'm on the move.
I haven't counted my vinyl collection in a while, but I think I'm pushing a hundred records now. My CD collection is about four times bigger, but I listen to them a couple of times before I put them onto my mp3-player.
A few songs and albums are on my computer because they are either never released on a physical format or are rare or impossible to get, especially some Doujin music from Japan.

jacknife737
04-06-2011, 03:02 AM
Most of the time it's my ipod: even when i'm at home i'll either keep a pair of headphones on, or use them with a pair of speakers. I think the only times i'm without my ipod is if i'm sleeping or showering.

Secondly, i'll listen to music on my computer. I rarely actually "listen" to my cds anymore: i still have a stereo, but i just use it now as an alarm clock (wake up everyday to Off With Their Heads "Die Today", to get myself in that happy-go-lucky mood): i'll just rip them to my itunes.

I've noticed my listening habits have also altered the way i purchase music: more and more i'm buying straight from itunes. I used to be completely against the concept of buying digital music, but my attitude has obviously changed: although i still do buy cds.

Edit: this thread also helped me to remember that i still have my discman: maybe i'll break it out today and impress the hipster kids with my "retro-ness".

Edit 2: I'm also continuously debating with myself whether i should start collecting vinyl. I don't own a record player but i do own a couple Against Me! and Frank Turner records on wax. Its just the idea of re-buying a couple hundred favorite albums is sort of the main obstacle.

RageAndLov
04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Edit 2: I'm also continuously debating with myself whether i should start collecting vinyl. I don't own a record player but i do own a couple Against Me! and Frank Turner records on wax. Its just the idea of re-buying a couple hundred favorite albums is sort of the main obstacle.

You don't have to have two different media of the same album. You can have vinyl records in addition to CD records, as opposed to have them as substitution.
Some records are "meant" to be listened on vinyl (Ignition is the first thing that comes to my mind, or any Subhumans record) and other records are only to find on vinyl. That's actually how I started to listen to vinyl; hardcore punk bands often release their material only on vinyl, like the whole No Way Records catalogue.

Jojan
04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I buy CD's and put them into my computer where I listen to most music. I have a portable digital audio player that I use now and then.

I have vinyl records, that I ought to put into my computer in a digital form. But I have not taken that initiative yet. It is not as easy as putting the CD into computer and running a small program that does everything for me.

Alison
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Either off my computer or on my ipod.

I really really have to get a cd player for my car, but I'm not willing to spend so much money on it, and those mp3 things that connect into the radio are usually shite.

nieh
04-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I listen to the vast majority of music when I'm at work or in the car. I used to carry a case of cds, but my collection got too big to manage so I got an mp3 player. I've started buying a bit of vinyl lately, but I still gravitate towards cds (especially when it comes to used copies, the sleeves for used records are invariably way worn out and crappy, that's rarely the case with cds) because they feel more convenient. Like with vinyl you're forced to flip the record over after so many minutes, compared to the 5-cd changer I have in the stereo, which I can understand being part of the vinyl appeal to some people, but it's really, really rare nowadays for me to just sit and do nothing but listen to music.

ad8
04-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I mostly listen to my music on my pc while I am doing something else or on my ipod before going to sleep. I also have a little cd collection but ever since I've moved out of my parents house I don't have a stereo anymore, so screw that :rolleyes:

Offspring-Junkie
04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Youtube or my nokia Xpress mobile phone. It's awesome.

Jakebert
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I listen to the vast majority of music when I'm at work or in the car. I used to carry a case of cds, but my collection got too big to manage so I got an mp3 player. I've started buying a bit of vinyl lately, but I still gravitate towards cds (especially when it comes to used copies, the sleeves for used records are invariably way worn out and crappy, that's rarely the case with cds) because they feel more convenient. Like with vinyl you're forced to flip the record over after so many minutes, compared to the 5-cd changer I have in the stereo, which I can understand being part of the vinyl appeal to some people, but it's really, really rare nowadays for me to just sit and do nothing but listen to music.

Agreed on the last part. Listening to vinyl is something that I associate with like a lazy Sunday where I have nothing else to do and can just lay around and listen to music.

Endymion
04-09-2011, 01:30 AM
without pants.

Free?
04-09-2011, 04:23 AM
without pants.

hu needs them?

I listen to music on pc since everything else is broken.

samseby
04-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Most of the time ipod (still gotta get rid of some songs) or laptop / computer.

For the car I have one of these, so no need for a CD player ;)

http://billig.kostenlos.de/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c18af_fm_transmitter1.presentation.jpg

Krojd
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
When I'm at home it's my PC and when I am anywehere else, it's my ipod. I dont have a car, so... I buy some cd's but I dont use them, I just buy them to have original. Like Offspring, I bought RAFRAG and I used it like 2-3 times in my stereo, then I downloaded the album, CD is somewhere in my room.

samseby
04-15-2011, 04:26 AM
I buy some cd's but I dont use them, I just buy them to have original [...]

Thank God I'm not the only one :p