PDA

View Full Version : Banned in Europe

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-05-2005, 04:06 PM
The Vandals are currently on tour in Europe, and many of the shows have been boycotted by the clubs, promoters, and radio stations, and are pressuring ticket buyers not to show up. The reason? Because they went to the Middle East over the holidays to play for the troops, or as the clubs call them " murderers and idiots". The Vandals are NOT a very political band, if at all.
Pro war or not, entertainers who take time out of their schedules to raise the moral of troops who have no say in where they are stationed, shouldnt be punished.

What do you guys think?

acgc2002
02-05-2005, 04:11 PM
sounds a bit ridiculous? Anyway, if I had the ticket I would show up. I like them by their songs, not because they went to the Middle East to play for the troops or whatsoever.

RXP
02-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Those fucking hippies only do that shit to get those trendy fucks in their clubs.

SkunkIt
02-05-2005, 04:32 PM
The Vandals are currently on tour in Europe, and many of the shows have been boycotted by the clubs, promoters, and radio stations, and are pressuring ticket buyers not to show up. The reason? Because they went to the Middle East over the holidays to play for the troops, or as the clubs call them " murderers and idiots". The Vandals are NOT a very political band, if at all.
Pro war or not, entertainers who take time out of their schedules to raise the moral of troops who have no say in where they are stationed, shouldnt be punished.

What do you guys think?

It's pretty stupid to ban anyone for that. I saw them in concert and they were awesome! Some of these people in the army don't even have a choice to join, while others know if they don't go they'll end up in prison, and if they do go, they're fighting for nothing. It's not like they actually wanna leave their families to end up hurt and fight other people for no reason.

Izie
02-05-2005, 04:43 PM
What do you guys think?
(Jesus)
That they are whiny, just like their songs.

Ow yeah more importantly, Italian tv blows, just like French, German and Spanish tv. Retarded shows, no subtitles...

Betty
02-05-2005, 05:00 PM
The band isn't political, but I believe Joe is a republican.

I think the whole thing is really disappointing, it's that whole "punks think for themselves, but obviously have to think the same politically" thing.

Here is what Joe had to say:

"No one really knows whether its best to take the war on terrorism to the middle east like this, or wait for more of it to come to the u.s. like it did on 9/11, but regardless, we need these guys and they are doing it so you and I don't have to.

I want to repeat that no one knows for sure what the best way to fight this war is: no one. If someone claims to, they are just expressing an opinion. Since we don't know, we think its best to support those making the greatest sacrifices. They are doing stuff."

Annoying
02-05-2005, 05:13 PM
The band isn't political, but I believe Joe is a republican.

I think the whole thing is really disappointing, it's that whole "punks think for themselves, but obviously have to think the same politically" thing.

Here is what Joe had to say:

"No one really knows whether its best to take the war on terrorism to the middle east like this, or wait for more of it to come to the u.s. like it did on 9/11, but regardless, we need these guys and they are doing it so you and I don't have to.

I want to repeat that no one knows for sure what the best way to fight this war is: no one. If someone claims to, they are just expressing an opinion. Since we don't know, we think its best to support those making the greatest sacrifices. They are doing stuff."

Tijs
02-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Meh, I bought a ticket to see them next week. I'm just gonna go.

Little_Miss_1565
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
That's so shitty. Even though I'm against the war, if I was in a band I'd go to the Middle East and play for the troops. The club owners are fucks.

Mota Boy
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
That's so shitty. Even though I'm against the war, if I was in a band I'd go to the Middle East and play for the troops. The club owners are fucks.
The only thing I can add to this is that, as "enlightened" as many Europeans try to play their nations off as, ultimately they just express their stupidity in other ways. Opinions change, but ignorance remains constant.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-05-2005, 10:02 PM
members of the vandals have their own political views, they just choose to generally keep it to themselves, and use their music to entertain (which they do very well, i might add).

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-05-2005, 10:04 PM
here's a response they had for one of the first bannings:
Quote from the Vandals:
As a band with zero political songs, yet 10 about diarrhea, we were pretty amused that the Club Arena in Vienna, Austria found something to rally against in our visit to Iraq to entertain soldiers. Here are our top 10 responses to their decision to ban us:

10. If we turn out to be double agents you guys just totally blew it.
9. Vandals Good, Hitler from Vienna adjacent"
8. We only killed eardrums, promise!
7. Bravo! Fascist smear campaigns like this sound so much more kick ass in German.
6. Sorry, we didn't know you were going to get all French about it.
5. If we spit on our countrymen and don't bathe for a month can we come back in?
4. Boycott me, boycott you!"
3. You could have just told us pre-sale was bad."
2. Great. More time to spend in the Eagle's Nest gift shop.
1. Shut your bread and cheese hole, the spokesman for your country, Arnold Schwarzenegger, said this would all be cool.

Revolver-2005?
02-06-2005, 09:08 AM
I dont support the militarys actions, I support the individual lives in the military, but they are stupid enough to go to the Middle East, they don't deserve moral, let them get it themselves...if any Republican asswipe band wants to go to the Middle East and play, stay there

wheelchairman
02-06-2005, 09:17 AM
What the fuck? It's not like a poor American kid has a good chance to get an education without joining the military, fuck off with that shit.

Vera
02-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I thought "banned in Europe" was an oxymoron.

Revolver-2005?
02-06-2005, 10:47 AM
What the fuck? It's not like a poor American kid has a good chance to get an education without joining the military, fuck off with that shit.

People wouldnt have to join the military to go to college if we focused on education and not oil all the time

Little_Miss_1565
02-06-2005, 11:22 AM

FUCK YES that is the gospel truth. Now why doesn't anyone else understand this?

leo3375
02-06-2005, 11:24 AM
*sigh* To each their own, I guess.

I love the Vandals. I listen to their CDs when I need a laugh. If people want to boycott their shows, that's fine by me. If people want to go to their shows, let 'em.

wheelchairman
02-06-2005, 12:12 PM
People wouldnt have to join the military to go to college if we focused on education and not oil all the time
Tht doesn't negate what I said. Nor does it justify what you said.

Izie
02-06-2005, 12:46 PM
(Jesus)
Didn't the recruiters switch more to "lower christian middle class" neighbours, since most of the kids in the "real" poor neighbourhoods couldn't pass the drug (and psychological) tests... .

(edit) just did some searching on their upcoming belgian gig on some forums, nobody is whining about it so i guess it goes through (tickets 12 euros). Doesn't really surprise me that they got the most shit in Austria and Italy since they have suffered the most from the "new-right/facism" (FPO/OVP and Forza Italia).

wheelchairman
02-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah, if you avoid the ghetto areas, and focus on the white trash areas, I'm sure they could find a more eligible desperate market.

SicN Twisted
02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Am I the only one who agrees with this boycott? Despite the fact that many of the troops have been manipulated and are joining as an escape from desperate situations, they're still war criminals and a whole lot of them (I know several) are braindead jingoists. I can't possibly sympathisize with the troops after knowing how it's general consensus with many American troops that it's perfectly okay to kill civilians, which they do. I'm a promoter, and I'd absolutely refuse to book a band that plays for troops. I look at many of the troops as victims, but going to raise their moral only shows support for the fact that they invaded a country for absolutely no reason. If anything bands should try and reach the troops by making them think about the crimes they're being forced to commit and the moral dimensions of war.

wheelchairman
02-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Personally I think the Vandals are just dumb enough to go with whatever flow they are pulled, I don't think that politics has a lot to do in their heads.

As far as the troops go, they have my sympathy. Jingoism exists among them precisely because they are raised in conditions of poverty and ignorance, I mean let's face it, if you grew up in a poor area, you're gonna get a shitty education because there's nothing there to really fund it.

I guess I care more, because I probably would've been one of those troops had we not moved to Denmark. I grew up in the typical white trash poor areas that most people did in the Springfield area, I have a cousin who's in jail for committing a robbery in broad daylight high on amphetamines. My friends, to get any sort of education, will have to join the army or try to raise the money somehow. And these people are far from Jingoists, one holds values very close to Marxist etc. I grew around people who were going to be in the military, it's not something they enjoy. And these troops are ordinary people. I support the Iraqi resistance, and hope for their victory, but I also want to pull the troops out as soon as possible, as alive as possible. And I certainly don't want to punish them for the sins of their leaders and for the sins of the overclass. This isn't their war, this is the war of the rich, we are just forced to fight it.

Betty
02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Personally I think the Vandals are just dumb enough to go with whatever flow they are pulled, I don't think that politics has a lot to do in their heads.

I agree with you muchly over Sic.

But honestly, this is another totally nervy comment that you made. And I definitely disagree. But really don't want to go into it further.

wheelchairman
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I don't even know what nervy means. I dislike the Vandals so that's probably the background to my bad attitude towards them. Besides, the backlash against bands that were against the war in Iraq, was far far worse.

Betty
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
The other day I used "nervy" and people thought it was a bizarre word to use. Hmm... it always seemed normal to me...

The dictionary kinda sums it up as "offensively bold."

It just comes down to my sensitivity towards people calling other people stupid when they don't deserve it.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
i agree that we never should have went to war in the first place, but putting up flyers saying the Vandals are responsible for innocent lives being lost? It's fine if you have a differing opinion, but the fact that the punk way of thinking is becoming so streamlined, that it seems that if you dont fit in with the "norm punk" (this should be an oxymoron, but sadly isnt) ideology, then there's "something wrong with you". and the way of thinking is "everything that has to do with the war is wrong".

i wish there could be an easy solution to the war, like bringing the troops out now, but the reality is, if you pull out the troops, you leave a underdeveloped country. I'm not saying terrorism is the big danger, the danger is no set up government, no plans for care. Iraq cant survive on its own yet.

wheelchairman
02-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Historically, Iraq has thrived whenever there was a noticeable lack of foreign intervention. They can do it again. Iraq is a shithole because of us, not despite of us.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-07-2005, 11:34 PM
True. the ironic thing is thatr we are the reason saddam was in power.
the US hasnt exactly had a good track record as far as foreign intervention goes... Bay of Pigs, vietnam...
Bush and Rumsfeld should be the ones in Iraq, to see what their BS has done.

wheelchairman
02-08-2005, 02:54 AM
We're not the reason Saddam was in power. What are you talking about? The Ba'athist Party and the Communists were a coalition government in the 1960's. Then Saddam went nuts and had all the communists killed, and up until the last 5 years or so, it was the communists leading the resistance. America didn't offer support to Saddam until we needed a balance against that debacle in Iran.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-08-2005, 07:10 AM
pardon, i wrote that last last night, and i went back just now after seeing your post. what the fuck was i thinking? I meant that the US gave Saddam support back when Iran was the "big enemy".

http://kungfurecords.com/html/joesreport.htm

SicN Twisted
02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I do sympathize with the troops for the same reason you do, but my sympathies towards the Iraqi resistence who are fighting underground with the worst odds possible to defend their homeland against foreign invaders.I don't wish death upon the troops, but when a band travels to IRaq to raise their moral it's only supporting their deposition.

btw, what Springfield are you from? It can't be SPringfield Mass. cause that's rich as fuck.

sKratch
02-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I think he's from Oregon for some reason...

wheelchairman
02-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Springfield Oregon. Actually Eugene, but from where I lived it was a 10 min. walk to Springfield.

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2005, 02:37 PM
btw, what Springfield are you from? It can't be SPringfield Mass. cause that's rich as fuck.

Do we know the same Springfield, MA?

SicN Twisted
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I doubt there's more then one. It's in Hamden County, on the Connecticut River.

FuckingHardcoreBitch
02-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Surprising the vandals got banned !

I saw them opening for the offspring in europe during ixnay tour…they're not…that controversial don't youy think ?…to me it's like banning the offspring or green day. God knows they're a lot more subversive bands /aritsts out there.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-10-2005, 07:27 AM
yeah, thats my main point through all of this. They are not a politically outspoken band, (unless warren running around naked is political).

but the boycott seems to be dying down now.

Trip Boy
02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Ohhh, Ok I understand now.

Little_Miss_1565
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I doubt there's more then one. It's in Hamden County, on the Connecticut River.

That's the one. And it's the ghettizzle.

SicN Twisted
02-11-2005, 11:50 AM
ghettizle? Hardly! It's where movies stars live in Massechusets, I'm pretty a huge chunk of the film industry is based there.

There are a few projects but any city, even small cities got that.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Projects are one thing. But a city's entire downtown area? Have you ever been to the Hippodrome?

Movie stars what? Are you sure they're not in the suburbs?

SicN Twisted
02-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Springfield does have river estates, but I just realized it's completely pointless arguing cause I mistakinly brought it up as a place where it would be unlikely that marine recruiters would be unlikely to go, which was pretty stupid.

The Hippodrome is pretty fucked up, but it's not THAT bad. Suburban kids have no problem going there to get their drugs, which isn't true with most hoods in NY and Boston, where you'll tremble in your chuck taylors.

Little_Miss_1565
02-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Suburban kids have no trouble getting their drugs at the 'Drome because it's such a college-town area. New York and Boston, though they both have a lot of colleges in them, are not used to such a level of widespread yuppiosity as there is in the Pioneer Valley.

But yes, Springfield is an army recruiter's dream.

SicN Twisted
02-15-2005, 05:36 PM
That's the thing about the valley. On it's own it's basically a shithole with nothing appealing about it, accept the fact that the colleges draw yuppies from all over the country. Hamden county only really has college yuppies and poor residents, there's nothing substantial about it.

StayInTheHouseCarl
02-18-2005, 07:35 AM
well, is it just me, but if your lobbying for peace, wouldnt resorting to violence be, i dont know, counter-productive? seriously.
i ask this because at the last vandals show of the european tour, 40 guys armed with knives, clubs, and other weapons blocked the entrance to the venue. kids werent allowed in, and they waited for the vandals to come out so they could beat the living shit out of them. read it, its un-fucking-believeable.

http://kungfurecords.com/html/joesreport.htm