PDA

View Full Version : To Other Vocalists

BigFish
05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
So you vocalists out there or anyone that just likes to try and actually sing, how do you do when it comes to matching Dexter's vocal range? I used to not even be able to come close without going falsetto so there was no power behind it plus it felt cheap. But now, after a few years I've actually started to be able to get pretty close which is a real accomplishment for me because I have quite a deep voice. I would say the song that goes the highest that I can match without a ridiculous amount of strain is Spare Me the Details. There are a few others that I can do really well too, but they don't even come close to some of his highest stuff. I was just wondering how other people did in comparison.

randman21
05-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Interesting! I could pretty much copy and paste your post word-for-word. I really credit Dexter for me being able to take my singing and songwriting seriously. When I was 19 --when I really started getting into them--I could struggle to sing an E (same note as the first string of a guitar), and that was on a good day. I sang bass in choirs all through school, so I never needed to go even that high. As time went on and I sang along with Americana every day, I noticed that I was getting to higher notes, and by the end of that year, I was at an A (fifth fret on the highest string). Right now, I can hit B (seventh fret) on any day...not that it sounds good. Dex seems to do it with ease.

BigFish
05-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Yeah like something such as Gone Away...I can't even begin to get close to that chorus. My voice just ends up cracking and squealing if I actually try to sing it properly. I've really been making progress lately though.

ThunderPX
05-15-2011, 09:28 AM
So far, when I'm in top shape I can pull off Dirty Magic and Gone Away... but it requires very specific circumstances so I usually just end up falsettoing the chorus.

BigFish
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Most of the earlier stuff seems easier. Not as much strain on my voice when doing something off the self titled cd. But then the other songs are just hit and miss.

codberg
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
This is off topic but Noodles did inspire me to learn guitar.

BigFish
05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
I was already playing guitar before I started listening to these guys, but they definitely helped me to keep going and learn more. I know how to play all of their songs perfectly now. :)