PDA

View Full Version : Pop Music

bighead384
05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
I've found myself developing more of a taste for pop music. Mostly because it's always on the radio at work.

Lady Gaga is good. I really like Kesha for some reason.

Then there's this synth pop band The Bird and the Bee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMy6X5cQul8

I dunno, it's decent stuff. Anyone a big fan of pop?

Free?
05-25-2011, 09:39 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAyiV9cEjo) is most likely my favorite pop song of all times.

Radio here makes me hate pop music more than I should. It's a neverending cycle of ear/mind torture.

coke_a_holic
05-25-2011, 12:26 PM
There's obviously the argument that most music is pop music, but I know what you mean. Modern radio music really grates on me, and that's across every radio station, not just pop.

However, Lady Gaga is a lot of fun to listen to, and so is T-Swift.

jacknife737
05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't really listen to the radio so my interactions with the top 40 world are pretty limited. That said, I really enjoy Ellie Goulding's stuff,

"Lights"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtjjEgMYJNk

"Starry Eyed"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULdPep_xfs

Retard
05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
The Bird and The Bee are fucking awesome dude. Saw them open for Lily Allen couple years ago, i was really impressed. I haven't picked up their last two releases yet, but i might grab the newest one tomorrow.... We'll see.

personal_loans_1
05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Pop is fun, damn right. My room radio is usually tuned for pop station, my brain appreciate that kind of vibes but mostly as a break from all other types of music I listen to... I don't have any favourite artist, they come and go, todays top 10, tomorrows... but well I like Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce ;p I like a lot Gwen Stefani from "What are you waiting for?" era. I just played "What are you waiting for?", and yeah I love that song. Born to blossom bloom to pereeish, ou, ou, ou, ah ah.

jacknife737
05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Lily Allen is quite good.

Another group a friend recently got me into is The Pepper Pots: they have this really retro sound, it's gimmicky but very enjoyable.

"Wanna Blindly Trust in You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-D3srElDTw

Szamanka.
05-30-2011, 09:24 AM
I think Lady Gaga has good songs, but just when i don't see her :P she's ... crazy :P

holland25
05-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Ha, not too proud of it, but I've been listening almost exclusively to female pop / pop rock for more than a year...

personal_loans_1
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Most of my original CD's are from my brainwashed by bravo past.:( I've got a few BritneySpears albums and Aguilera and even Natalia Oreiro one....... I think pop is the only genre that I care only about mainstream, party music.
And I love to look on Lady Gaga.

kelseyreed
06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes, I am also very cray of pop songs.

WebDudette
06-11-2011, 06:46 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAyiV9cEjo) is most likely my favorite pop song of all times.

I think you must have accidentally copied the wrong link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBOGlIeSiY).

I don't particularly dislike pop music. Katy Perry has some catchy songs that I've got stuck in my head, I've intentionally listen to a Gaga song once or twice, and I really like Fall Out Boy.

I do not listen to music radio stations though. I listen to the local talk radio station, loveline, or NPR when I drive. If it is too late to listen to any of these I listen to my iPod or Jazz on the NPR station.

Retard
06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Loves me some jazz.

Jakebert
06-15-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't listen to a lot of top 40 stuff, but I do love all kinds of indie pop. Acid House Kings, Apples in Stereo, Belle & Sebastian, etc. I love twee stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of electronic music and synth stuff, so I don't get into top 40 pop much these days. I do have a soft spot for some 90s pop bands like the Goo Goo Dolls ans Barenaked Ladies, though.

Retard
06-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Barenaked Ladies will always have a special place in my heart. Goo Goo Dolls never will. Is kinda funny that Metal Blade owns their first album

ThunderPX
06-16-2011, 06:06 AM
As of 2009, I like me some electropop. In fact, my new album has a decent bit of it, and the next one will probably have even more because I wrote too many electropop songs and didn't want to oversaturate one album with all of it.

Unfortunately, Dutch radio sucks dick and while they play a lot different genres, they only seem to play the shittiest new songs from every genre, and old good ones that don't interest me very much anymore. In short, despite getting a wider spectrum of taste, I still need to search the internet to find anything good regardless.

jacknife737
06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
As cringe inducing as the lyrics are, i'll admit that the last couple Katy Perry singles (ET and that friday one) are pretty darn catchy.

Also, Japanther - Bumpin' Rap Tapes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVzJMzRF8Y

Omni
06-22-2011, 12:31 AM
My girlfriend's ex-roommate got her the latest Katy Perry disc for Christmas. Most of the thing is very good, in my opinion. Even if the lyrics are just dribble.

Retard
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
wait katy perry did a song about friday to?

jacknife737
06-22-2011, 03:30 PM
wait katy perry did a song about friday to?

Yeah, it's called Friday Night: and it's got Rebecca Black in the music video.

Retard
06-22-2011, 10:56 PM
ah ok... i was gonna say oh shit so she covered the rebecca black song?

Actually I wouldn't mind hearing that.

salina
07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Hello friends...!
i really love pop music... Pop music was originally just popular music but now it have developed it's own meaning...It is short for Popular music....

Sidewinder
07-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Oh, T-Swift. My friend looooves her. I'm neutral towards her, but she was on my campus once (since I go to uni in Nashville) so I get to rub it into him that I've seen her live more than he has.

As for top-40 esque pop that I actively listen to? I'd say there really isn't a whole lot, Kelly Clarkson being a huge exception. Totally adore her. I listen to a lot of what would be considered the pop of its time, I guess - stuff like Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, or B-52s. Tons of older, former hits bands like that.

Edit: I remember a really old thread Ricky made that I can't find for the life of me where he listed "Songs you probably lol at but are better than you" (not an exact quote, I don't think, but along those lines). I'm pretty sure that thread has an extensive list of legit pop.

RedVikingsCO1
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
friends don't let friends listen to pop...

in my opinion pop is for "trendy assholes"

Retard
07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Then I guess me and my friends are horrible to each other.

In all seriousness, anything could be pop music, it's just gotta hit the right people at the same time.

Jakebert
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
friends don't let friends listen to pop...

in my opinion pop is for "trendy assholes"

I'm assuming you listen to the Offspring. I hate to dredge up this argument again, but the Offspring are pop. In fact, in the 90's they were all over mainstream pop radio and MTV all the time. And not that there's anything wrong with that, because there's not. That's actually my point.

Anyway, as for Taylor Swift...she's bland enough to be easily ignored but for whatever reason she really bothers me. I know that she's just the latest in a string of cute, spunky white girls who become America's sweetheart for a few months, but something about her just irks me.

jacknife737
07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Anyway, as for Taylor Swift...she's bland enough to be easily ignored but for whatever reason she really bothers me. I know that she's just the latest in a string of cute, spunky white girls who become America's sweetheart for a few months, but something about her just irks me.

I'm the same: although i do enjoy my fair share of terrible superficial pop music (see, Katy Perry): there's something about Taylor Swift that i just find totally unappealing.

Retard
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Her music is ok.... I don't think she's that appealing.

Jakebert
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I think for me it's just that I really hate mainstream country music (note, I don't hate country music as a whole...just the super slick, bland stuff) and she's the one country music star you can't get away from.

Retard
07-13-2011, 10:11 PM
The funny thing is I never really hear Taylor Swift anywhere. The only time i ever hear her is if one of my buddies puts her on... and to them she's a "guilty" pleasure. Yea she's in the bland over polished version of country, but she's so pop that I can barely consider her country. If you put on Toby Keith though I will have to choke a bitch... not saying that you would.

I honestly have heard a lot of old timey country the only one i can REALLY say I like is Cash, and I know that sounds cliche but it's kinda true. I can't stand any of the Hank Williams, Willie Nelson is a cool dude, but I don't really like his music, I've heard countryish songs from people that i've liked, i think for the most part it's the voice..... i hear southern accents and i immediately think of some asshole hick sitting on his porch in a rocking chair and holding a banjo with a piece of straw in his mouth.... and the minute he's a black guy come near his house, he starts yelling at him.

Jakebert
07-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't listen to much classic country, but I do like Cash, Hank Williams, and Merle Haggard. I need to get more into it but I never seem to.

But I love, love, love modern "alt-country" like William Elliott Whitmore, Neko Case, Uncle Tupelo, etc. A lot of that stuff is some of my all time favorite.

peinis0
07-13-2011, 11:08 PM
I love lady gaga. i am actually diverse when it comes to music type as long as i like, i will like it

jacknife737
07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
I don't listen to much classic country either: outside of Johnny Cash.

Most of the country oriented stuff i listen to is probably better described as alt-country/cowpunk/ect: like Two Cow Garage, Old Man Malarkey, Trampled By Turtles.

Sidewinder
07-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Neko Case.

God, I fucking love Neko Case.

Retard
07-16-2011, 09:41 PM
One of these days i should take a drive up to vermont to her farm and see if i can't get Neko Case to marry me. she's amazing.

charlesjess
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Lady Gaga is one of my favorite singer and she is my idol ever...