PDA

View Full Version : Lagwagon

Llamas
05-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I dunno if anyone will even read this thread - this section of the bbs seems especially dead lately... but I've recently rediscovered this band. I loved them as a teenager, as I did many, many pop-punk bands... but most of those bands didn't stand the test of time.

Recently I added Blaze and Let's Talk About Feelings to my mp3 player, randomly decided to listen the other day... and holy shit. These guys are so good. Their melodies are amazing and so are their lyrics. The music is just fast skate punk, but Joey Cape makes this band.

I'm listening to Resolve right now... maybe a bit of a disappointment after Blaze, but what a heavy record. "Runs in the Family" is a killer song.

Anyone know if they're still making music? I heard they put out an EP a couple years ago... haven't heard it. Anyone have it?

bighead384
05-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm addicted to Lagwagon and they are my favorite band. I remember you said that Resolve isn't that good of an album and I have no clue what you're talking about. Joey Cape makes the band and that album was just all his emotion to the fullest.

cool 2 hate 681
05-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I heard they put out an EP a couple years ago... haven't heard it. Anyone have it?

i have it you can download it here:)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q42KX6V8

jacknife737
05-27-2011, 06:00 PM
In the last year or so, i've found myself listening to them quite a bit. I think their music manages to stand up a lot better than some of their peers from the first wave epitaph/fat wreck bands from the early 90s.

Blaze is probably my favorite release from them: it managed to balance their serious and fun side of the band lyrically, quite well, although my favorite song has got to be Sleep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQpdOFtZ7A) "I'll take you out to breakfast at night, and then we'll go to sleep".

They're still around: although i think Joey Cape has lost a bit of interest in the band since the majority of his focus has been on his solo stuff and he also mentioned that he's a bit bummed out since there are so few "original" members of the band. That said, he's also mentioned that he'd like to start working on a new ep, or doing like a digital release of a song per month.

Their last release "I Think My Older Brother Used to Listen to Lagwagon" was good, but not their best work.

Here's one of Cape's solo songs if you're interested: it's all pretty much acoustic stuff -"The Ramones Are Dead" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-pdpHci8eU

Outerspaceman21
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Fucking love Lagwagon. Really underrated band. Great melodies and solid songs. I have all their albums on my comp. Personal favorites are Hoss and Blaze, but all their albums rock. Their live in the dive is pretty fucking good as well.

I liked Resolve, not their best, but still a good album. Ep was pretty decent as well.

And they are supposedly writing a new record right now, but I haven't found any site to clarify this. Cape dismissed rumors of a breakup.

randman21
05-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh yeeeah. Glad you're coming around to Resolve a bit, llamas. It's such raw emotion, and got me through some tough times. I dig Lagwagon a lot, but I only really like their last three LPs, Blaze being my favorite. Though Coffee and Cigarettes is my favorite song of theirs.

I'm addicted to Lagwagon and they are my favorite band.
Then maybe you can answer a question I've had for years. Were there two versions of Blaze released? A guy I know let me have some of his mp3s years ago. I lost those, but downloaded a torrent for Blaze and eventually bought the CD. The torrent and CD were the same, but some of the songs were different from the mp3s I had before. I haven't been able to find them since, which sucks because they were better.

jacknife737
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Oh yeeeah. Glad you're coming around to Resolve a bit, llamas. It's such raw emotion, and got me through some tough times. I dig Lagwagon a lot, but I only really like their last three LPs, Blaze being my favorite. Though Coffee and Cigarettes is my favorite song of theirs.

Totally agree.

Cape's evolution as a song writer has been phenomenal.

To anyone interested Cape's sideproject Bad Astronaut is also worth checking out: song "Good Morning Night" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjoBQCIFK8.

bighead384
05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I could be wrong, but I have a hard time accepting that you gave their older work a fair chance. I'd probably recommend listening to Trashed and Hoss first to someone trying to get into Lagwagon. I'd compare these albums to Ignition and Smash, except maybe a little better. Duh is the only one that really had to grow on me, in part because of the music being a little rough around the edges, in part because I don't like the recording that much. Funny this came up, I literally just started liking Duh like two weeks ago.

Island of Shame (off of Trashed) is arguably my favorite punk rock song, and I can play the whole thing on guitar, although not cleanly yet (I just learned the whole thing).

bighead384
05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah, I think the reason Lagwagon is underrated is because a lot of people don't get what they expect with Lagwagon, and don't take the time to appreciate what they do. I was expecting a simple, catchy pop punk band when I started listening to Lagwagon, and to some extent, that does describe a part of their sound. But Lagwagon also has a certain impactful, emotional delivery and a tendency towards the unexpected (as far as punk songwriting goes) that actually managed to throw me off at first. Then I started to appreciate it.

Omni
05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
I think maybe llamas and jacknife are kind of like myself with Lagwagon. I listened to their entire discography up until Resolve, and the reason why Blaze is such a phenomenal record is because it's pop-punk, whereas most of their other albums are just 80s-style punk. I can't stand punk rock from the 80s for the most part. But Blaze is a GOOD pop-punk record, about as good as most Offspring records, in my opinion. And as far as I'm concerned, the Offspring wrote the book on how to be a good pop-punk band. Hoss is probably their best punk-ish record, and it's a shame it got overlooked because it's yet another gem that came from 1994/1995.

@jacknife I agree, Sleep is a magnum opus. That last line is some powerful shit. Status Pools, Alison's Disease, Sick, Violins, Island of Shame, and Know it All are also masterpieces. I think Status Pools might be their best.

bouncingcoles
05-28-2011, 09:48 AM
i love lag wagon. resolve is a great album too. check out joey capes solo stuff its great

Retard
05-28-2011, 09:49 PM
I've liked a lot of Lagwagon's music, but it's never caught on with me to a certain extent. Which is pretty sad cuz what I have is really good, but i never really think to listen to them. Hoss is a good album, I love Resolve but i think I don't listen to it a lot because the album is pretty sad, since it's entirely about Derrick. The last EP was good, but I liked most of the songs better as Joey solo songs, except maybe errands.
I can never find their shit anywhere, I'm gonna have to order them from FAT.

The offspring are NOT a pop-punk band!

Omni
05-29-2011, 01:26 AM
The offspring are NOT a pop-punk band!

Yes. Yes, they are. They're the dirty "PP" word, and have been for well over a decade.

Llamas
05-29-2011, 05:12 AM
I hadn't realized I'd posted about Lagwagon so much before here. It's true that I never really liked Resolve that much. I think the music on that album is very uninspired compared to on the two before it. And maybe it's also too depressing compared to the other. I love their sunny, fun sound, which that album lacks.

I just put on a big mix of all their stuff from before the last three albums. I don't have Trashed or Duh, but Hoss, Double Plaidinum, Let's Talk about Leftovers, and all the songs I have from compilations... was just reminded of what great songs Laymen's Terms and Sick are. Sleep and Violins are also really good songs.

Also, Beer Goggles and Raise a Family! I'm seriously addicted to these guys lately and want to listen to them all the time.

Oh yeah, I think the reason Lagwagon is underrated is because a lot of people don't get what they expect with Lagwagon, and don't take the time to appreciate what they do. I was expecting a simple, catchy pop punk band when I started listening to Lagwagon, and to some extent, that does describe a part of their sound. But Lagwagon also has a certain impactful, emotional delivery and a tendency towards the unexpected (as far as punk songwriting goes) that actually managed to throw me off at first. Then I started to appreciate it.
This is so true. Lagwagon is NOT just your typical pop-punk group. Their song topics are much more interesting and not typical, and Joey writes the most amazing melodies.

I think I like the new albums the best because they're a bit more diverse in styles than the old albums, and the songs aren't *just* pop-punk. There's a lot more going on and I really appreciate that. But I'm not totally sure, because Ignition is one of my favorite Offspring albums and it's probably the least diverse besides S/T. So who knows. But I'm listening to the old stuff right now and giving it a chance, so we'll see what happens ;)

Offspring are absolutely pop-punk. They're like the definition.

bighead384
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
This past year or so, Lagwagon has dominated my personal song of the week charts. It's FUCKING RIDICULOUS. I'm seriously not just listing all the songs I like. ALL of these songs were songs that I'd think about all day and wait to get to my car to blast. This is how fucking obsessed with Lagwagon I am:

Dancing The Collapse
I Must Be Hateful
Billy Club
Max Says
Tommorow is Heartbreak
Making Friends
Unfurnished
Confession
Twenty-Seven
Failure
Bury The Hatchet
Beer Googles
Parents Guide to Living
Name Dropping
Sick
Rifle
Move The Car
Shaving Your Head
Ride The Snake
Change Despair
Gun In Your Hand
After You My Friend
The Kids Are All Wrong
May 16th
Owen Meany
Jimmy Johnson
Narrow Straits
Restrain
Alison's Disease
Heartbreaking Music
Resolve
The Contortionist
Sad Astronaut
The Worst
Island of Shame
Lazy
Give It Back
Stokin' The Neighbors
Dischords
Coffe and Ciggarettes

Some of them, I had to hear like 100 times before I found something to love about them. Some of them I liked almost instantly. It's weird.

bighead384
05-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Also another reason I love Lagwagon is because I really like Joey Cape as a person. He's really thoughtful and sincere.

Look how he handles these annoying, stereotypical questions from this interviewer who talks to much (It's an interview about Derrick's suicide): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM3z0xhIr9Y

That's another thing I love about this band: Derrick Plourde. I just love his sound and also being a drummer with mental health/drug issues, I feel I have a sort of connection to him.

Did you know that a lot of Lagwagon songs are about Derrick (Not just the ones from Resolve). Joey claimed he 'made a career writing about Derrick')...http://www.lollipop.com/article.php3?content=2006/06june/f-lagwagon.html

dff_punk
05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
My biggest favorite from Lagwagon is Blaze, that album is full of energy and not a single filler song. These guys need to release something new soon, they have not released an album in a while.

jacknife737
05-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Another thing i really like about the band is that their live album still has a lot of replay value. Most live albums i pick up are usually only interesting for one or two listens (the other two exceptions would be Against Me!'s and the Bosstone's).

I love Resolve but i think I don't listen to it a lot because the album is pretty sad, since it's entirely about Derrick. The last EP was good, but I liked most of the songs better as Joey solo songs, except maybe errands.

Yeah, Resolve is a pretty sad record: same goes for the last Bad Astronaut one (it too was finished in the wake of Derrick's suicide. And couldn't agree more about the solo EP: the songs really do work better acoustically. Although on the flip side: i'd love to hear a full-band version of the Ramones are Dead.

Retard
05-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Screeching Weasel is a pop-punk band, the Queers are a pop-punk band, the Copyrights are a pop-punk band, Blink-182 are a pop-punk band, the Lillingtons are a pop-punk band, Teenage Bottlerocket is a pop-punk band, the Ergs! is a pop-punk band, Chixdiggit are a pop-punk band. I've never heard any inkling of the sound of those bands in the offspring's sound. they're more just a rock band than anything else, with punk thrown in here and there because that's what they started as.

Llamas
05-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Ehhh please don't derail my thread into a fight about which band is what genre. Retard, please let it go. It's not important.

bighead, I'm gonna check out those interviews. Cape's always seemed like an awesome dude.

Retard
05-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I just can't stand shit like that, gets on my nerves.

Lagwagon is great though.

cool 2 hate 681
05-29-2011, 07:02 PM
completely agree they are alternative rock

what is the best lagwagon album? i only heard double plaidinum

bighead384
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
completely agree they are alternative rock

what is the best lagwagon album? i only heard double plaidinum

That's the first one I bought. Worst album to try and get into them with in my opinion. I'd say go with Hoss or Trashed first.

Outerspaceman21
05-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Hoss is my personal favorite. Lots of fan favorites on that album.

jacknife737
05-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Can't go wrong with either Blaze or Hoss.

Retard
05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
still have not heard blaze, or double plaiditnum..... i'll eventually find them somewhere.

cool 2 hate 681
05-30-2011, 12:08 AM
ok thanks guys:) i will be sure check out hoss next

Llamas
05-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Yep, either Hoss or Blaze. Most of the songs I got into them from are on Hoss (Sick, Sleep, Violins, Razor Burn, Ride the Snake). Blaze is the most solid, fun album, but Hoss is a "classic" when it comes to this band.

Omni
05-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I forgot all about Ride the Snake, dammit. That song makes emo look good in ways Blink-182 never could.

Retard
05-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Dude Emo is probably my favorite song on Dude Ranch...... how is that not a good song?

Omni
05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Just nevermind, Retard.

Llamas
06-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Guys, the new EP is so good! Errands, Live it Down and Mission Unaccomplished are seriously AWESOME songs. And the whole thing is just pretty quality.

I'm still on a serious Lagwagon kick. These charts don't include all the Lagwagon I've been listening to on my phone, either.

http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/artists/buttersprayz.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/buttersprayz/?chartstyle=basic10)

http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/buttersprayz.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/buttersprayz/?chartstyle=basicrt10)

cool 2 hate 681
06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Guys, the new EP is so good! Errands, Live it Down and Mission Unaccomplished are seriously AWESOME songs. And the whole thing is just pretty quality.

I'm still on a serious Lagwagon kick. These charts don't include all the Lagwagon I've been listening to on my phone, either.

http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/artists/buttersprayz.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/buttersprayz/?chartstyle=basic10)

http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/buttersprayz.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/buttersprayz/?chartstyle=basicrt10)
wow so i guess it's safe to say lagwagon is your favorite band right now?:cool:

Outerspaceman21
06-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I had the EP, but I don't know what I did with it. I may have to redownload it, but I agree with Llamas, really awesome.

bighead384
06-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Any Lagwagon song has the potential to become a new favorite on any given day for me.

Like, I never thought Bury The Hatchet would seem so awesome to me, but the lyrics describe my feelings for a lot of old friends, so one day it just clicked. It probably seemed like nothing more than a fairly typical punk rock song to me at first though.