PDA

View Full Version : early soundboard offspring gig

jawhn
07-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey kiddies, as promised in another thread I dug up the tape I made of an old Offspring show, ripped it, sliced it up into mp3s and placed it here for y'all.

http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/offspring.zip

That link will eventually go away so grab it soonish and share it with yer friends :)

This show was at Gilman St. in Berkeley CA, summer of either 1990 or 91, can't recall for sure now. I wanna say they were opening for L7 but it might have been somebody else. I used to have an acquaintance who worked sound there and sometimes if I remembered to bring a tape he'd let me pop it into the board, this is the only copy and has never been booted or released elsewhere, enjoy. Sorry about the last track cutting off, it was a short tape and ran out just before they finished.

Also from the other thread, here's a picture I took at this show here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jawhn/3644819452/

Still unpacking boxes so if I find more I'll try to scan them.
--jon

Tijs
07-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Awesome Jon! Thanks a lot, gonna listen to it right now.

Blackball_
07-17-2011, 12:06 PM
thank you! :D:D

Oxygene
07-17-2011, 12:10 PM
shit like this is much appreciated

MAXTER
07-17-2011, 03:27 PM
that's a relic! WOW!!! Thank You! Really appreciated! :)

dff_punk
07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
This is totally awesome.

personal_loans_1
07-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Grabbed! Thank you so much! Me gustaaaaa

martin_theoffspring
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
dude, thats is fucking great

i got a right!

ThunderPX
07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Awesome stuff. I tried looking up the exact date, but apparently the tour archive doesn't go back any further than 1993. Am I crazy or did it use to have older shows on there?

EDIT: Wow, the ending was fantastic.

Puschka
07-17-2011, 06:20 PM
thank you jawhn!!

Outerspaceman21
07-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks, very much appreciated.

Gustavo
07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Dude, I can't even begin to describe how awesome this is.

What's up with this old stuff showing up thing lately? Whatever the hell that is, I hope it never stops!

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, I skipped right to "Forever And A Day" and "I Got A Right", and it sounds amazing, now I'm going to listen to the whole thing and I have a feeling the next minutes of my life are going to be very pleasant.

It's a shame "I Got A Right" isn't complete, as I'm afraid there is no other live recording of tihs song available on the internet. But either way, you're our hero, jawhn!

Thank you very much!

Dexter_italy
07-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Fucking thanks!!! I always liked I got a right :D

Ptit Seb
07-18-2011, 01:23 AM
This show was at Gilman St. in Berkeley CA, summer of either 1990 or 91, can't recall for sure now. I wanna say they were opening for L7 but it might have been somebody else.

it was this show :
Jun 14 1991, Berkeley, CA - United States (http://www.theoffspringsession.com/show-1991-jun-14-berkeley-ca-united-states,936.html)

samseby
07-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks a lot ;)

Lord_Gabo
07-18-2011, 04:00 AM
You're a LEGend!

Greekoldfan
07-18-2011, 05:49 AM
wow!!!what a great present for my namesday!!thank you soooo much!

Krojd
07-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Thank you very much.

Greekoldfan
07-18-2011, 07:00 AM
I got a right live ??that was really good one!

chriiis
07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm listening it right now and sounds fucking awesome ! :D :D

They played both years in Gilman street on summer

07/27/1990 Berkeley, CA - United States Gilman's St.
06/14/1991 Berkeley, CA - United States Gilman's St.

the date of the show could be some of those 2 dates if the taper is sure it was during a summer

jawhn
07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Cool glad you're all stoked on it, enjoy! I think Seb is correct, this is the 91 show with L7.

Say, anybody (or any admin types) know what the deal is with posting here? Is there some problem with posting images maybe? When I posted this thread I also posted a flier for an old Offspring show I promoted in the pictures thread; they both said they were flagged for moderation and eventually this one showed up but the other one didn't.

Dexter_italy
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm listening it right now and sounds fucking awesome ! :D :D

They played both years in Gilman street on summer

07/27/1990 Berkeley, CA - United States Gilman's St.
06/14/1991 Berkeley, CA - United States Gilman's St.

the date of the show could be some of those 2 dates if the taper is sure it was during a summer

I think is the second one because Dexter said that at the former show at that place they had a bad review :D

cool 2 hate 681
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
thank you vey much for sharing this jawhn:)

jacknife737
07-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Just wanted to say cheers for posting this: sounds fantastic, especially Forever And A Day!

findout5
07-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I logged in just to say: thanks for sharing this! It's great!

Jojan
07-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you, Jon. :-)

personal_loans_1
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
jawhn, could you upload that flier somewhere and put link here?

randman21
07-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Seriously, too many awesome Offspring relics from 20+ years being dug up. I keep thinking I'm going to become jaded after a while, but I never do. Thank you, sir Jawhn. Very much. :)

I wanted to ask, do you remember this night? It must have been nothing for you at the time, but I can't even begin to imagine seeing a pre-famous Offspring and how awesome that would be. Hell, I'm always amazed when someone remembers listening to them before 1994.

EDIT: Oh my Lord, that bass part Greg plays during the chorus of "I Got a Right" is hella sexy [EDIT 2: I never noticed he does it in the studio version, too!]. I'm crushed that the tape cut out at the end of that song in particular. I want to know what chord they ended on!

D0NT
07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks in advance dude, Im downloading it. this kind of post make visting this board almost daily something that's worth it

ad8
07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Seriously, too many awesome Offspring relics from 20+ years being dug up. I keep thinking I'm going to become jaded after a while, but I never do. Thank you, sir Jawhn. Very much. :)

I wanted to ask, do you remember this night? It must have been nothing for you at the time, but I can't even begin to imagine seeing a pre-famous Offspring and how awesome that would be. Hell, I'm always amazed when someone remembers listening to them before 1994.

EDIT: Oh my Lord, that bass part Greg plays during the chorus of "I Got a Right" is hella sexy [EDIT 2: I never noticed he does it in the studio version, too!]. I'm crushed that the tape cut out at the end of that song in particular. I want to know what chord they ended on!

I can only second this. I always think that over 20 years after those shows/demo tapes have been made, there can't really be anything new to hit the world but as something does surface I am even more amazed. Thanks so much!

D0NT
07-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks I've listened over and over. great show.

I wish they had never "evolved" to their actual sound.

and I wish they would play this songs live again.

Great Job Jon!

jawhn
07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Yah I dunno what black hole that post went into and can't remember what I wrote with it but here's a link to the flier:
http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/flier.png

I took the picture on the flier (tho Brien wasn't really that wide, chalk it up to shitty early 90s computer skillz), made the flier and promoted the show. I did the Offspring a few times in Southern CA but I think this might have been the last one.. after this they were too big for me to do anymore. Really cool dudes back then but lost touch with any of them after about this time so I dunno anymore, even though I kept buying their records.

jawhn
07-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Fuck, I guess it was 20 years ago, doesn't seem like it. I vaguely remember but I used to go to Gilman a lot and I must have seen the Offspring 10 times back then so I think what I remember is kind of an amalgamation of several shows more than anything. An Offspring show I remember better than this one was earlier, where they opened for the Angry Samoans. I loved the Samoans but a friend had recently turned me on to the Offspring's first s/t Nemesis album which I'd been spinning for a while. Pretty sure I was the only kid up front singing those songs along with them and they seemed surprised afterward. I hadn't been able to track down their first single or demo tape so I asked if I could get one from them and a couple of weeks later it came in the mail, stoked. I'll see if I can find the notes they sent me with that shit and scan it for you guys too, if anybody cares.

Sorry about that last track man, I was bummed too. Rad Stooges cover

jawhn
07-23-2011, 06:37 PM

You'll have to ask the admins at this point since the forum seems to intercept my posts containing links for moderation and I've tried twice now. Not sure if there isn't anybody manning the queue or what but I'm not having fun posting stuff that doesn't ever arrive...

Tijs
07-24-2011, 02:26 AM
I've approved the post now. Not sure why it was flagged as possible spam. Though the website you've linked to seem to forward to a different link :o

personal_loans_1
07-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks ;p

Ekhm, I care.

EDit: There's still fyouspammer, in that post above. But I'm a genious and I copied link! Hehehe! :P Ah, it's supposed to be fyouspammer, sorry Tijs. I feel like drunken mutter to himself now.

jawhn
07-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Gah, sorry about that Tijs.. left over hacks from when spammer sites would link my content.. fixed now.

Also, earlier I dug up some of the singles and some of them had some of the notes from Greg I'd mentioned before. The "two weeks" he referenced was because I kept seeing them at gigs and asking where the new single was and they kept saying "two weeks dude.."

http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/offspring_singles.png

personal_loans_1
07-24-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks again Jon, 'two weeks sure does take a long time these days.' yeeah, I know that. It must feel nice, to be one of those who, now so famous band used to thank for interest. I love those two covers. Stamp is pretty nice too.

jawhn
07-24-2011, 05:36 AM
I guess but not because they're famous. If they were famous at the time then I probably wouldn't have written them in the first place. They were just like any other punk rock band I'd go see on the weekends, get loaded, hang out and punk rock. I liked their music like a shit ton of other bands and I sought out their records and demos and whatever I could get my hands on. Sometimes that meant writing the bands when I had an address, maybe from another release or something and sometimes I'd get sent cool shit. I used to take my camera to shows a lot too so sometimes I'd send some of the pictures to the bands if they turned out decent enough and I liked the band a lot.

You're welcome Red, all you guys, I'm glad I had this stuff after all this time for others to appreciate too. I'm still unpacking from a move and going through storage shit so if I find any other Offspring related stuffs then I'll share it up too.

jawhn
07-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Um ok I guess I didn't fix that link hack after all. I'll figure it out tomorrow, I can't remember what the hell I did there. In the meantime, just copy and paste that link in, it only bugs on linking but works if you put it in manually, like Red mentioned.

jacknife737
07-24-2011, 06:49 AM
http://www.punkrecords.org/tmp/offspring_singles.png

Hey, cheers for posting this as well: i had no idea the band ever played a show with Fugazi; that's pretty rad.

Dexter_italy
07-24-2011, 07:25 AM
wow those letters are fucking gold man :) thanks for sharing!

jawhn
07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey, cheers for posting this as well: i had no idea the band ever played a show with Fugazi; that's pretty rad.

I've seen Fugazi play but not with the Offspring. One of those notes from Greg has an Offspring flier on the other side, with Big Drill Car.

jawhn
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
wow those letters are fucking gold man :) thanks for sharing!

You're welcome :) Its funny that I can't save anything but stuff like that I would just stuff into records which I've always taken good care of and now years later when I pull something out to spin it I'll find little things like that that I tucked away however many years ago.

RobinoZombie
07-24-2011, 09:21 PM
They should have the intro on a dvd or CD something, Fucking Epic!

Marco
07-25-2011, 02:50 AM
awesome, awesome! (really enjoyed the green day joke at the beginning :P )

jawhn
07-30-2011, 12:55 AM
The guy he's talking about at the beginning is Devon Morf, he's a cool dude actually. Bay area punker, probably most known (relatively speaking) for his band 'All You Can Eat' but has had other bands since, 'What Happens Next' and I think his current hardcore band is called 'Conquest For Death.' Really funny and super nice guy though.

I once did a show with his band and some of their friends who were touring from Japan. Some locals didn't like his jokes and climbed on stage and beat the shit out of him during their set and broke one of their guitars in half, it was a real bummer, probably the worst thing I've ever seen happen at a punk rock show.

They subsequently put out a split EP with the Japanese band and the center label had a big picture of Devon's fucked up eye on it. I only recently realized that and took a picture of it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jawhn/5342415075/

Dexter also mentions Jello Biafra being in the crowd during their set but I can't say I remember seeing him that night.

Delirium
08-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Whoa, this is some interesting stuff, thanks for uploading!