PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the new RHCP single?

Omni
07-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Flea and Chad are positively blowing me away on this song, and Josh seems to be a good choice for John's successor.

And of course Kiedis is doing what he does.

dff_punk
07-19-2011, 03:54 AM
I listened to it once, pretty standard. I kinda like the chorus.

Sidewinder
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
It's... Red Hot Chili Peppers. It seems like they tried to do something different, but couldn't really get there. I probably won't bother listening to the album, based on this song.

Jojan
07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I do not think anything of it because I have, to the best of my knowledge, not heard it.

Retard
07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't plan on finding this to hear it, i don't give two shits.

Omni
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
It's... Red Hot Chili Peppers. It seems like they tried to do something different, but couldn't really get there. I probably won't bother listening to the album, based on this song.

It doesn't sound that much different than their normal stuff. I always hear of bands trying something different and going "new routes" and it usually ends up sounding just like their signature music with maybe a twist of lemon or whatever. But you know what, that's okay with me. As long as it's quality RHCP - which almost all their singles are. The album, I don't know. Time will tell - Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Lupin
07-20-2011, 04:35 AM
I actual thought it was a b-side from One Hot Minute. The RHCP have been one of my favourite bands for years, but fuck Keidis's voice has never got too me like it does on "...Rain Dance". He sounds like someone who hates him, pretending to be him.
I'll withhold judgment till i here the album fully, musically they're still rocking...Josh seems to be holding up guitar duties well, as he would always have done, but all in all it still sounds like a b-side.

Omni
07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
If you say this is in the style of One Hot Minute, suit yourself. but Rain Dance Maggie is better than any song from One Hot Minute by leaps and bounds.

Like I said, Kiedis is just doing his thing. Who expected any change there? As critical as everyone else is being, I'm pretty stoked for the release, now.

yarock
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Rain Dance Maggie is better than any song from One Hot Minute by leaps and bounds.

Wrong.

I would agree it tops all the singles from Stadium Arcadium except Desecration Smile.

Llamas
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Wow, I dig this!! I wasn't sure what to expect with the new guitarist. I was worried about another One Hot Minute... neglecting the fact that rhcp is a much different band than they were then. They play off each other better and are more connected and sure of themselves. The guitarwork is vastly different than Fruciante's style, of course, but it totally works. I'm looking forward to the new album.

Oh, and about Anthony's voice, it only sounds funny because John's harmonies aren't there. There's some vocal harmony, but it's very minor. Anthony's voice is more jarring when it's alone.

Omni
07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
His voice has never gotten on my nerves like it has many others. It's entirely tolerable, and more importantly, you can tell it's him immediately. Some could call it iconic, even.

jacknife737
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I've never really been a huge RHCP fan, and this song didn't change that: though i wouldn't call it "bad".

Llamas
07-21-2011, 05:55 AM
I remember reading something from either Anthony or Flea, maybe it was on the bbs? About Josh vs John... and he said that John was really this virtuoso player who basically made the songs. He was the key element and the songs came together around him. But Josh is a much subtler player and I guess for this album, the guitar parts were added toward the end for color, rather than as the main focus. I can DEFINITELY hear that in this song. It's weird to not have the guitar in the forefront of the music... but I think the guitarwork still does its job here. There's just a very different atmosphere with the band. RHCP has always been a band of four very distinct individuals, and losing one changes their sound entirely. I don't think losing Flea or Chad would have any less jarring results. I'm looking forward very much to hearing a full album with a different guitarist... but I'll always miss John.

bouncingcoles
07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
the song is alright. For a band that gets their asses kissed more than any band on earth i would expect something more interesting and different. same can be said about most of the huge bands around right now (foo fighters)

Retard
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I heard the new one the other day. Only reason why i could tell it was new was because the DJ said it was the new one before it came on..... fucking bland as shit, and it sounded exactly like everything else they've done.

StayInTheHouseCarl
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I preferred the funky RHCP of old, because that sound is what made them unique. The last few albums they've gone the way of generic rock, and it bores me.

Omni
08-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, this song will be crowned #1 next week, and will be RHCP's 12th #1 on the Alt. Rock charts. They retain their record.

yarock
08-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I found this somewhere:

- "i have been a rhcp fanatic for years and have now thanks to my work been given a chance to be in the middle of things and i'm happy to be able to share (what i can without being fired) with you guys...

what i can say is this... from an objective standpoint, every damn song on the album sounds as if it could be a single... this has never happened in my opinion for rhcp... they made amazing songs that never were singles because they didn't have mass appeal or potential for a broad market.
they have finally bridged the gap between commercial stuff and the funk, they made an epic record.
wb are in a frenzy right now even shifting release dates of some other artists because they are realizing what a gem they have in their hands."

- flea has more than one blister on his hands and this is flea we are talking about! so you can imagine what kind of bass lines are on there...

chad has expanded his drumkit a bit and his drumming on the record is... dave grohl can suck it! :-p

josh incorporated a lot of the dub mannerism into his thing, which as i understand he encountered in his previous experiences (barkley predominately) and working with john who has been doing it on by the way and sa

... but what surprised me the most are the lyrics... it is something that was (for me) the weakest point in rhcp, but this time around, they are fucking amazing!

it is the ultimate pop funk record!"

- "based on what i've heard, i'm with you will be the new under the bridge...

... but that is only my opinion... a nice, slow, mellow ballad with an infectious chorus that sticks to you for days..."

- "let me say just this... so you can draw your own conclusion...

it's a song which in a sense draws the line between the "old" rhcp and the new... memberwise and musically... it's also the only song that features a guest musician... which will blow your mind away!"

- "the new album will feature a song which is not a new rhcp song but has never been on any studio albums... most of you have already heard a version of it...

I don't know if that's all reliable, but you guys can rise your expectations even more I guess.

martin_theoffspring
08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
for the moment I am not convinced, this smells like "by the way" or slow songs of "stadium arcadium"
do not rock/funk like californication or blood sugar ...

another song: look around
http://youtu.be/lW5AJHW231w
the rhythm of the voice in verse is like purple stain haha