PDA

View Full Version : How old are you when you got into Offspring...

SmashingIxnayConspiracy
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
and how old are you now? How has the music aged for you? Have some albums aged better than others? Are there any songs you liked when you were younger but not now? Are there any you didn't like when you were younger that you love now?

Outerspaceman21
07-20-2011, 04:09 PM
I was 8 or 9, which was around the time Americana came out. Had a little lapse in music, then rediscovered them when Splinter came out, then bought all their albums.

bouncingcoles
07-20-2011, 04:27 PM
i bought Americana in 99 so i was like 10 or 11 but didnt become a huge fan until CO1 came out and was hooked.

jacknife737
07-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Picked up Americana when i was about 10 years old, after hearing Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get A Job at a friends pool party.

I think i enjoy Ignition and Ixnay a lot more now that i'm in my 20s, especially lyrically (particularly I Choose) than i did when i was younger. Conversely, besides a couple individual songs, I really don't think Conspiracy of One as an album holds up quite as well some 10 or so years after its release.

cool 2 hate 681
07-20-2011, 04:53 PM
i was 8 or 9 i used to listen to ixnay at my friends house and thought it was pretty good i bought americana when it came out in 98 and have been a fan ever since

Alex101
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I first heard of The Offspring was five 5 when I heard of "Come Out and Play" on the radio back in '94, though I wasn't a fan of their music until a couple years later.

Harleyquiiinn
07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I was 26. First song I really listened to was Nitro, went on with Smash and Rise and Fall and then everything else.

It was 2 years ago and I loved YGGFK. I don't like it so much now.

Of course, I heard the Offspring when I was younger. I used to love the Kids aren't alright, and also Pretty Fly. I just didn't buy the albums at the time.

yellow
07-21-2011, 02:51 AM
in my twentys

Krojd
07-21-2011, 03:40 AM
I was 8 when I first heard All I Want on tv back in 97, I liked the music but I didnt understand the lyrics and the vid was just weird but it was the first time I actually started listening to something, since then All I Want is everything to me. Then Americana came out and it was the first album I bought ever.

danitanev
07-21-2011, 04:20 AM
I think I was about 15-YO (now I'm 29-YO) when I heard - Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) - It was awesome! I never had a favorite band before and that was my choice from that day and forever - I copied the CD from my causins on an audio casette and started listening, then I copied Smash, then bought my first CD - it was compilation called Beheaded, but I still had no CD player. In the year 2000 I got my first Mini stereo CD system - just to listen to them, then I bought Conspiracy Of One and more, I went to some Internet clubs downloading everything about The Offspring I could find - music, videos, lyrics, pictures, CD's, DVD's. I bought some t-shirts, even my first computer in 2006 - I bought it just to watch their videos and stuff became a member of this forum in 2006. In the begining of 2011 I got another dream that came true - I bought my first electric guitar - Ibanez. So, it's a long long story to tell about all these things in my life.
But that story with being a fan of The Offspring is like a true love that never lets me down, never leaves me or betrays me. I'm always happy with these guys - everything they do is what I like and need!
THANK YOU GUYS - THANK YOU THE OFFSPRING!!!

personal_loans_1
07-21-2011, 04:27 AM
I knew Pretty Fly before, but I started to dig out all their works and felt like this is it after All I Want video. I was sth around 15. I've found that video so awesome then, especially that piano craze.

Greekoldfan
07-21-2011, 07:30 AM
I was 11 when self esteem came out

ixnay04
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I've been a fan since 1994. I was 7 years old, now I'm 24. Self Esteem was the first song I heard.

the_real_potomek
07-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I was about 10 when I first heard about The Offspring. It was the time when Pretty Fly and WDYGAJ were played very often. My cousin bought Americana CD, and after listening to it a couple of times I started to like it too. Then I bought all the previous albums and then my love for the band started for real. Ah, good old times...:)

randman21
07-21-2011, 11:51 AM
13 when Americana first came out and I think I got the album the next year. It wasn't until I was 19 that I really listened to it carefully and started to understand what Offspring was about. Good old times, indeed.

Jojan
07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I was born in 1988 and started to listen to The Offspring during the Americana era, just before and ever since they played at Gröna Lund in 1999. A show I attended. (I am currently listening to No Fun at All, which played with The Offspring that day.) You can work the mathematics out.

KHWHD
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM
When I was 20. So 16 years ago. :)

Mykey
07-21-2011, 05:51 PM
whats funny is when i first learned the word "offspring" in elementary school. i loved that word for some reason. i tried using that word every day. i heard come out and play before but i never knew the name of the band until years later when pretty fly came out. i was like "there is that word again, offspring"

Silver
07-22-2011, 01:43 AM
I discovered The Offspring when I was 17 :)

holland25
07-22-2011, 01:51 AM
10, in 1996.

SmashingIxnayConspiracy
07-22-2011, 02:28 AM
13 when Americana first came out and I think I got the album the next year. It wasn't until I was 19 that I really listened to it carefully and started to understand what Offspring was about. Good old times, indeed.

which us what?

randman21
07-22-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't think I can explain what I mean easily, but I'm talking about their sensibilities, approach to music, general message, whatever.

Skinny
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
The furthest memory that I have of The Offspring is my sister and her friend singing WDYGAJ at recess when I was 4 or 5. Then when I was around 10 I kind of fell in love with Come Out And Play and Hit That from hearing them on the radio. I bought Greatest Hits in '05 and went on to become a huge fan.
Ignition became my favorite album, I just love the rawness of it.
I sort of lost interest with the band and stopped listening from the end of 2009 until about a week ago, and now I can't stop listening. :D

ad8
07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I knew Pretty Fly before, but I started to dig out all their works and felt like this is it after All I Want video. I was sth around 15. I've found that video so awesome then, especially that piano craze.

Haha, pretty much the same here... that video was just great and the song symbolised everything that stood for punk rock for me at the time... I think I was about 14 or 15 as well...

Bejka
07-23-2011, 12:04 AM
13 :rolleyes: lucky number

jawhn
07-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm digging all these five year old punk rockers, that's rad!

ospringfan112113
07-23-2011, 09:39 PM
I was nine years old when I first heard of Offspring.It was somewhere in early July and I was kind of trying to figure out my tastes in music.Because before that I listened to most of the pop stuff on the radio and I realized how much I didn't like it.So I thought I hated music.But then one day my mother brought home their greatest hits album, she only got it because the only song she knew by them was Pretty Fly and I guess it brought back good times for her.The two of us were going to the store or something and she put it in for the first time and skipped the entire thing to track 7 (pretty fly):rolleyes: and I started to listen. The first thing I did was laugh like crazy because all I could think of in the first verse was Vanilla Ice:D(which made me laugh even more in the second verse when mentioning him)

After my mother played it over and over again a thousand times we got back home and I took the cd inside to listen to myself on my little portable cd player.I listened to every song on the track in order and I was just amazed.I never heard music like this and how great it was. I never heard somebody sing with such an amazing voice and such strong, energenic melody and sound.:cool: Of course I instantly fell in love with them. And after looking up more of their music I bought most of their cds ( hard to find their music at Walmart:D.

But anyway I'm going on 14 now and understand their lyrics so much more than I had when I first got into them and their still my favorite band. Since then I have came across other punk rock bands that I really enjoy, but I think Offspring will always be my favorite.

zlyvlk1
07-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I was 15 when the Smash came out. That was huge then and I still dig the new stuff. My interest has been more or less on/off during all these years, but there are many songs that just go old.

offspringer24
07-24-2011, 08:05 AM
14, i'm now 30 :(

D0NT
07-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I think I was twelve 12, I was living in Brazil and I got to know them with Gotta Get Away video when I bought SMASH aftewards I realized I already knew the other songs that had videos....

I'm 29 now and had never stopped being a fan even though they changed A LOT:D

Tijs
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Like many I got into the Offspring during the Americana days. I was a big fan of WDYGAJ and kept calling the tv station to get them play it. So that's 1999 for me, which made me 12. My sister had a copied version of the CD and she gave it to me. And that's when it all started.

Not a very exciting story, but since that day I'm becoming a greater fan each day :) <3

findout5
07-25-2011, 12:04 PM
I was around 15, back in 1995.
COAP didn't totally do it for me, but Self Esteem really sold the deal...16 years later I still like'em!

GamerKT
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
It was 2009 or so for me, actually. I first heard Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) SOMEWHERE, years ago, but I don't remember. Then I heard Come Out To Play (Keep 'Em Separated) on Rock Band 2. The song that got me interested in them was Hit That, though. I don't remember how I even found that song. Anyway, from there, I just started checking out there stuff and slowly started liking them. Anyway, they're my second favorite band right now, so that's cool.

TheOldMark
07-27-2011, 06:51 AM
10. now I'm 27.

Hairlip
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
First heard them in 2005 at 40 while building a house. Now own all their CD's and have seen them in concert twice. Just for fun I placed a 7" flaming skull sticker in the back window of a my brand new car last year. Sarcastic punk metal at its best!

arnold161
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I was 9 or 10 when i got into Offspring, it was in Co1 era and i am 20 now..first i listened to them was thanks to my older friends who used to listen them a lot, and i really liked it, but i remember pretty fly and get a job being played on the radio some years ago.. my first cd was cassete Conspiracy of one and since then i started to collect all their albums and stuff. Despite my taste in music kinda changed a few times, they have been my favourite band for 1O years and it is not gonna change :)