PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden may stop making albums

Alex101
08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Today has been the saddest day in the metal community and the most shocking news anyone has ever heard: according to a new interview with Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maiden will make at least one more album. I hope this won't lead to a split or retirement, I think it's too soon for these guys to retire even though they've been playing for over 30 years.

Here's the link where Bruce explains why he said they would make at least one more album:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161583

cool 2 hate 681
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
sad news the final frontier was one of my favorite albums from last year

mrconeman
08-04-2011, 11:55 PM
You realise they're all in their 50's right? I seen them at the show mentioned in that article (Belfast) Bruce mentioned on stage they won't be going away any time soon - at least another album and tour. And when Maiden tour it pretty much means everywhere in the world will see them twice, which usually takes at least the span of 2 years.

The show on Wednesday was fucking amazing though, they haven't slowed down one bit, they sound amazing right now.

Also yeah, they didn't play the Trooper, because flying a Union Jack in a mixed concert in Belfast is literally the quickest way you could possibly incite a violent riot. It's a lot less to do with the loyalist murals that use Eddie as ridiculous loyalist propaganda (something which Maiden have spoken against a few times). And a LOT more to do with flying a Union Jack in Ireland. If you don't know, everytime they have ever played The Trooper, Bruce flies the Union Jack (British flag) during the first verse.

They learned from their past mistake of flying a Union Jack in Dublin a few years ago as it mentions. That was a fucking stupid move. Hundreds of years of English tyranny and they fly the flag in the capital city of Ireland. The booing of that decision is now legendary among Irish Maiden fans. I wasn't there at that particular gig, but several of my friends were.

Reportedly the entire crowd began hissing and booing, and Bruce's face dropped to the floor, he threw the flag back stage after about 5 seconds.

They played Blood Brothers on Wednesday though, and before that he gave a speech about Maiden not giving a fuck who was Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jewish or Jedi. Which got a nice cheer from the crowd.

Rooster
08-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Well, as much as i love them i know they can't keep going on forever. A sad fact. I kind of got prepared for them to leave with all the talk when The Final Frontier was announced. I do believe however that they have at least one more great album in them, and i sure hope it won't be another 3 years before we get it. But Bruce said "at least one more", so that could possibly mean they wouldn't stop after it either, and record some more later. At least i hope so.

Anyway, The Final Frontier is a great album, probably my favorite record from last year. But i noticed something - i need to be in the right mood to listen to it. It's not an easy listen, there are lots of things going on in the songs, which makes it the brilliant album that it is, but at the same time that can make you turn away from it. Initially i liked it better than AMOLAD, but now things have changed. I popped AMOLAD into my stereo for the first time in about a year and realised why i loved that album so much in the first place. Yes, it was long, full of epics, great vocals, great drumming and guitar wizardry (just like The Final Frontier), but at the same time it was catchy as hell. It all worked better than it did on TFF. And on A Matter of Life and Death, if a song had a long intro it fitted the song perfectly. Now on TFF - The Talisman is a brilliant track, but it would work better with a much shorter intro (if only they'd cut the part that reminds you of The Legacy...) or without one at all. And while long intros do work on other tracks, they work if you look at a song individually. But in the context of the album, those intros feel too long and unneccessary. It gets boring if too many songs follow a similar template (in beginning, later each song evolve into something entirely different) with long, slow paced intros. It all kind of feels too ambitious. So while TFF is an excellent album, AMOLAD is back at the first place for me.

But, TFF DOES have When the Wild Wind Blows... :)

EDIT: Also, why not just split Satellite 15... The Final Frontier into two separate tracks? I have a feeling that it would screw up the average song length, looks like they wanted an album that would be "their longest" in every possible aspect. The song itself did nothing for me, and El Dorado didn't do much either, a weak start for an album.

ThunderPX
08-05-2011, 03:43 AM
Today has been the saddest day in the metal community and the most shocking news anyone has ever heard: according to a new interview with Bruce Dickinson, Iron Maiden will make at least one more album.

Um... oh no, another Maiden album? o_O

Jojan
08-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Wooohooo! :-D

Llamas
08-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Maiden is seriously one of those bands that I love and respect more than I can imagine, and yet I tend to overlook them way too much. I own two physical albums (Rock in Rio, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son), and their entire discography is on my computer. They often end up on my mp3 player and phone... I love playing their shit on Rock Band and Guitar Hero (I'm not nearly talented enough to play any of their stuff IRL)...

...and yet I rarely listen to them. I think there's a majority of their music that I've never *really* listened to and appreciated. I mean, there's been a few times I've put their catalog on random for a couple hours, but that hardly counts. I honestly can't explain why it's like this for me; I'm totally the kind of person who loves to sit down and just LISTEN to an album all the way through, doing nothing else but listening. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I have less time to absorb new music that's so intricate and amazing.
I really wish I'd give these guys the attention they deserve.

That said, I really like TFF. It took me a while before it grew on me, and I FULLY agree with this, especially the bolded part:

Also, why not just split Satellite 15... The Final Frontier into two separate tracks? I have a feeling that it would screw up the average song length, looks like they wanted an album that would be "their longest" in every possible aspect. The song itself did nothing for me, and El Dorado didn't do much either, a weak start for an album.

I think the first two tracks were what made this album so hard for me to get into. Such mediocre songs for such a great band. But songs like Talisman, When the Wild Wind Blows, and a few others make the album stand out. But I'd still say I liked A Matter of Life and Death more.

Rooster
08-05-2011, 06:00 AM
I think the first two tracks were what made this album so hard for me to get into. Such mediocre songs for such a great band. But songs like Talisman, When the Wild Wind Blows, and a few others make the album stand out. But I'd still say I liked A Matter of Life and Death more.

That was a huge factor for me. Because if you look at Different World, despite being a pretty standard post-2000 Maiden song, it was a great opening track, followed by one of the best songs on AMOLAD, These Colours Don't Run. There's no bad track on AMOLAD (well, i don't like Out of the Shadows particulary, but it fits into the album, a nice change of pace). TFF seriously lacks in this aspect.

I did an experiment - i opened The Talisman with Adobe Audition, and cut out the part of the intro i deemed unneccessary (the guitars really sound a lot like The Legacy in that one, only not as good), so now there's only about 50 seconds of quiet intro (i left the first part of the intro, cut out right after "To the harbourside i glance back one last time"). The song should have been released like this, instead of being over 9 minutes long it is now "only" 7.32, but all that i cut out was really just unneccessary fat, which only dragged the song.

I really hope if there ever is a next Maiden album, it's better than TFF. I really like that album, but when i'm listening to it, all it does is leaves me wanting to hear something more. It could be better than it is. Oh, and perhaps a bit more agression wouldn't hurt it - evidently they can still pull it off, and even if a song is long and epic it doesn't mean it can't have a faster passage in it either. Some more "radical" tempo changes would actually be welcome.

Retard
08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't say that it's the most shocking news anyone ever heard. That Norway shit was a lot more shocking.