PDA

View Full Version : All this dance music

bighead384
08-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Out of nowhere all this dance-ish music is so popular. BassNectar, Skrillex. Seems really random to me.

Apathy
08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Lots of reasons:

1. Natural progression of metal kids into something quasi-similar because they're getting bored of metal. This is where the dubstep/metal skrillex type stuff comes in.

2. Huge techno groups like Deadmau5 slowly becoming more and more mainstream, allowing for smaller acts to rise up.

3. Pop artists slowly becoming more and more dance/club oriented, eg Lady Gaga and Kesha

4. Sex stuff. Ever been to a rave? The girls are mostly naked and the guys are only there to see/grind the girls. These are the venues this music calls home.

bighead384
08-21-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't remember the last time electronica music caught on this much. It's kind of interesting.

WebDudette
08-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Seriously? This isn't a new thing.

There has been a huge rave scene forever. In fact, it's a lot smaller now than it used to be. I think the only reason it's really getting more mainstream attention than usual is because dubstep is so ridiculous.

holland25
08-21-2011, 01:48 AM
I can't remember the last time electronica music caught on this much. It's kind of interesting.

Probably in 1997 with the release of The Fat of the Land by The Prodigy. At least I think so. And then with The Chemical Brothers' Galvanize (Christ, I hate that song...).

mrconeman
08-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Galvanize is one of the worst crimes against music to ever fester out of a stereo system, it's absolute fucking bile.

Anyway - Dance/Rave/Electro/Whateverthefuck has always been popular, with my brother as a fairly prominent DJ here, I can tell you he's never struggled to gig. I, however, think that because most pop artists (Rihanna/Gaga/Othersluts) are all putting out music now that are basically dance music backing tracks, with their autotuned vocal over the top - which is essentially what dance music has *always* been, is helping to garner the popularity of actual dance music.